Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Summer Baseball 2014

Started by ucahogfan, May 27, 2014, 03:39:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 28, 2014, 12:26:16 pm
With how important tacolini, Eagan and Rodriguez are to the team next year... This is really good to see. He's a catcher who is hitting better than nomura and a few years younger.
Yeah, if both Rodriguez and Nomura keep it up and hit around .340 this summer, I might have to revise my lineup and say we could have 8 every day players who could/should be .300+ hitters next year.  The only starter in my lineup who would still be a question mark in that case would be Blake Wiggins and his bat is what made him a high D-1 player in the first place.

Also good to see Big Taco performing well.  With Poche going down, he could slide into that 3rd weekend starter spot or he could fill the Brandon Moore void of longer relief/DP machine.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

DVH

[attachment deleted by admin]

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

USA BASEBALL

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

USA BASEBALL

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

USA BASEBALL

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

USA BASEBALL

ucahogfan

PUF Capitalists @pufcaps     ·   18h   

Caps lose to SLO Blues 6-0. Thomas (Fresno St): 4 1/3 inn, 0 R, 8 K in relief. Krzmarzick (Nevada): 3 H; Rodriguez (Arkansas): 2 H.

PUF Capitalists @pufcaps     ·   Jun 27   

Caps outhit SLO Blues 12-6 but lose 6-5. Gray (Rice) & Rodriguez (Arkansas) both w/ 3 hits. Avila-Leeper & Seabold (CSUF) great in relief.

Rapids Rafters @RapidsRafters     ·   3h   

Clark "the eagle" Eagan slaps a two out double to put the Rafters up 8-4

Jacob Stone ‏@jakestone30  · 1h 
"@RapidsRafters: Clark "the eagle" Eagan slaps a two out double to put the Rafters up 8-4" .... Got it all wrong

Chris Oliver ‏@C_Oliver39  · 19m 
@jakestone30 @RapidsRafters it's Clark "the Shark" #ComeOnnnn

Eagan had another nice day at the ballpark as he went 2-4 with 2 2Bs, 3 RBIs, 2 R, and a BB.  He is hitting .415 (17-41) with 6 2Bs, 4 R, 11 RBIs, 4 BB, 1 K, and 1-1 SB.

ucahogfan

Razorback Baseball @RazorbackBSB     ·   23m   

Congrats to Trey Killian for making the final 24-man @USABaseballCNT roster! Check out the complete team here > http://bit.ly/1lJn6H8  #USA

ucahogfan

Quick Texas League Update:

Carson Shaddy is hitting .319 (23-72) with 4 2B, 1 3B, 13 R, 2 RBIs, 14 BB, 19 K, 6-8 SBs.

Alex Gosser is hitting .071 (1-14) with 1 R, 3 BB, 3 HBP, and 1 K.  The fact that his BABIP is under .100 tells me that he is either popping everything up or running into a lot of bad luck.

Tucker Pennell is hitting .240 (12-50) with 6 R, 2 2B, 6 RBIs, 7 BB, and 11 K.

Lawson Vassar is 0-0 with a 2.89 ERA in 9.1 IP.  He has allowed 7 H, 3 ER, walked 3, and struck out 5.

Cannon Chadwick is 1-2 with a 4.35 ERA and 4 S in 10.1 IP.  He has allowed 8 H, 5 ER, walked 2, and struck out 17.

dotnet

The way I understand it as far as competition...

Texas < Cal < Northwoods < Cape < Team USA

Alaska would go somewhere around Cal?

And yes, I'm sure there are years where certain leagues are better than others...

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 30, 2014, 10:17:29 am
The way I understand it as far as competition...

Texas < Cal < Northwoods < Cape < Team USA

Alaska would go somewhere around Cal?

And yes, I'm sure there are years where certain leagues are better than others...
For the most part that is what I gather as well.  The Cape is the premier summer league and most of the top players go out there to play.  Northwoods is typically the #2 league at least for Razorback players.  California appears to be a strong league for players out west and more and more Hogs are heading out there as well.  Not really sure where you would put Alaska.  I think it depends on who wants to play up there.  The Texas League tends to be mostly players who attend college in Texas.

Kevin

congrats trey

thanks for the updates
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dotnet

Quote from: Kevin on June 30, 2014, 10:25:33 am
congrats trey

thanks for the updates

It doesn't sound like he pitched that well (relatively speaking) last night either.  Though he did come in with the bases loaded and no outs. 

ucahogfan

ucahogfan

Oaks Baseball @Conejo_Oaks     ·   14m   

Rick Nomura hits a walk off single!! Final score is 2-1.

dotnet

Teague - almost two weeks ago Teague gave up 4 earned runs in 3 innings.  He only gave up 3 hitts and walked no one... so I'm not sure how that happened. 

But outside of that game, he has given up 1 run, earned, in 3 other appearances.  That is 16 innings, 1 run, 14 Ks, 4 BBs, 6 Hits during that time.  Overall he has a 2.36 ERA.  Teague is one of a few pitchers that Arkansas really needs to step up next year.  This looks like a good start.

In that vein, Taccolini has thrown 19 2/3 innings this year in the Cali league.  He has a 2.29 ERA with a 219 BAA.  He has given up 16 hits and 5 runs in those 19+ innings while striking out 14.  Those are good numbers - though I was hoping for a little more dominance.  Its tough to judge in Cali though because the california leagues are usually easier on hitters so you don't really know.  He is 11th in the league in ERA. 

Simpson has a 3.07 ERA in 26.1 innings.  20Ks/6BB.  Like Teague, Simpson gave up 6 earned runs in one start, and 1 ER in all of his other starts.  But he got hit pretty well in that one game. 

Gassaway is hitting a dissapointing 226 in over 100 ABs this summer.  He only has 4 XBHs... all doubles. 

Eagan only has 64 ABs on the year.  But he his hitting a cool 375.  Any time a hitter has more extra base hits (7 doubles) and walks (6) than strike outs (5)... I'm a fan.

Jackson has a 4.33 ERA in 18 2/3 innings.  But it looks like he has been used weirdly.  I don't know what to make of it.  The only thing certain ist hat he has struck out a ton of hitters (30) and walked too many batters (13, but 12 in his last 12 2/3 innings)

Nathan Rodriguez is down to 273... which still isn't bad to be a HS graduate in a college league. 

ucahogfan

PUF Capitalists @pufcaps     ·   3h   

Congrats to the 3 Caps named CCL All-Stars: Mitch Hart (USC), Nathan Rodriguez (Arkansas), & Bryce Carter (Stanford). Game is Wed. July 16.

Nathan Rodriguez @nathanrod9     ·   3h   

So happy to be representing the Caps with my boys @MitchHart96 and @BCarter2582 in the 2014 CCL all star game on July 16th at UYA at 7

It looks we are getting a steal to campus in Rodriguez.  I'm not sure how much he is catching this summer with Bryce Carter and Tim Susnara on his team, but for someone who tore his ACL last year and was in high school a couple of months ago to make a college league ASG says something.

Rapids Rafters @RapidsRafters     ·   18h   

The Rats' bats keep rolling as Eagan hits a 2 run single and the Rafters now lead the Mallards 6-1 in the bottom of the 8th #RollRatsRoll

ucahogfan

Quick Northwoods Update:

Clark Eagan is hitting .412 (28-68) on the summer with 7 2B, 15 RBIs, 8 R, 3-3 SB, and has drawn 6 walks compared to only 5 strikeouts.  He is carrying over his strong finish which is good to see.

Pretty much everything else is the same from the update dotnet gave 2 days ago.

ucahogfan

Quick California Update:

Two more Hogs will be playing in the 2014 ASG as Rick Nomura and Big Taco also made the team along with Nathan Rodriguez.

Rick Nomura is hitting .336 (40-119) with 5 bunt singles, 3 2B, 3 3B, 15 R, 12 RBIs, 11-18 SBs, and has drawn 11 walks while striking out 18 times.

Matt Brown is hitting .167 (9-54) with 4 2B, 4 R, 5 RBIs, and has drawn 3 walks.  He does lead his team in one category.  Brown has struck out an insane 24 times in only 59 PAs.

Andrew Kelley - 1-1, 3.26 ERA, 15.1 IP, 6 K, 16 H, 9 BB

Nathan Rodriguez has seen his average drop to .254 (16-63) with 3 2B, 4 R, and is tied for the team lead with 10 RBIs.  He has drawn 3 walks and has struck out only 9 times in 68 PAs.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 09, 2014, 04:26:47 pm

Matt Brown is hitting .167 (9-54) with 4 2B, 4 R, 5 RBIs, and has drawn 3 walks.  He does lead his team in one category.  Brown has struck out an insane 24 times in only 59 PAs.
Has a certain poster been pulling our leg this past season?

ucahogfan

Rapids Rafters @RapidsRafters     ·   2h   

The Rafters are making it interesting here at Witter as the Rafters now trail the Mallards 5-3 thanks to an RBI single by Clark Eagan

Eagan went 2-5 tonight as he saw his average drop to .411 and drove in his 16th RBI in just 17 games.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 09, 2014, 11:29:00 pm

The Rafters are making it interesting here at Witter as the Rafters now trail the Mallards 5-3 thanks to an RBI single by Clark Eagan

Eagan went 2-5 tonight as he saw his average drop to .411 and drove in his 16th RBI in just 17 games.

It's always good when you go 2-5 and your average drops, haha.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 09, 2014, 11:29:00 pm

Has Eagan even had a bad game yet? Seems like he's always having a good day. WPS!

dotnet

I think he has had 2-3 hitless games. 

Eagan was one of the best hitters on the team at the end of the year - but I was worried that it was a sample size issue.  Just because he has a hot month or two, doens't mean you can expect him to have a 400+ OBP for the rest of his career at Arkansas.

But so far, this is better than what I thought best case scenario is...

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on July 11, 2014, 08:40:10 am
I think he has had 2-3 hitless games. 

Eagan was one of the best hitters on the team at the end of the year - but I was worried that it was a sample size issue.  Just because he has a hot month or two, doens't mean you can expect him to have a 400+ OBP for the rest of his career at Arkansas.

But so far, this is better than what I thought best case scenario is...
Yeah, he has essentially been about a .380 hitter over his last 150-200 PAs when Bax went down at Ole Miss.  Not only has he hit that well, he has done it with some pop and done it walking more than striking out.  He has been the best Hog this summer, but was snubbed from the Northwoods ASG.

With how he has performed this summer, it isn't crazy to think Eagan could post a triple slash of .375/.450/.510 next year as a Sophomore.  I think he will be more in the .330-.340 range, but that slash line potential is in there.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

ucahogfan

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on July 11, 2014, 09:33:27 pm
Is Eagan-Serrano part 2?
Don't really think so.  Serrano has been around .300 for most of his career with pretty much only doubles power.  Eagan hit 2 HRs last year and could probably be about a 3-7 HR type threat.  Not really sure who he could compare to the last 4-5 years.  Maybe Kuhn average from 2010 with 2011 power.  Outside of that, drawing a blank right now.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 11, 2014, 09:50:58 pm
Don't really think so.  Serrano has been around .300 for most of his career with pretty much only doubles power.  Eagan hit 2 HRs last year and could probably be about a 3-7 HR type threat.  Not really sure who he could compare to the last 4-5 years.  Maybe Kuhn average from 2010 with 2011 power.  Outside of that, drawing a blank right now.
Was thinking more along the lines of: looking at the athlete and skills and thinking he's not going to be a career .300 hitter and before you know it he is. Not really having stand out talent in any one area, but somehow gets it done. Just a good consistent effort most of the time.

ucahogfan

PUF Capitalists @pufcaps     ·   15h   

Nesbitt (UW) w/ great outing out of pen. Bain (Cal) w/ the save. Bible (CSUF) & Rodriguez (AR) both hit HR's. McLaughlin (KU) 2 hits, BB.

PUF Capitalists @pufcaps     ·   15h   

Caps lose G2 of DH 7-2. Jackson (KU) & Brown (SJSU) both great out of the pen. Rodriguez (AR), McLaughlin (KU): 2 hits. Bible (CSUF): 2B, BB

ucahogfan

James Teague had a great start tonight up in the Northwoods facing Clark Eagan and the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters.  In 6 IP, Teague allowed 1 hit, walked 1 batter, and struck out 12 hitters.  Teague is having an excellent summer just like Eagan, Big Taco, Nomura, and Rodriguez.  With the Sunday spot open next year, Teague could be an option.

PUF Capitalists @pufcaps     ·   22h   

Rodriguez (Arkansas) & Hildebrandt (Fullerton) w/ RBI's. Cantu (Texas) w/ hit & walk.

Oaks Baseball @Conejo_Oaks     ·   2h   

B5: Jefferson doubles, Ginther advances him on a sac bunt, and Nomura's sac fly brought him home. We're tied at 2. #letsgoOaks

Oaks Baseball @Conejo_Oaks     ·   3h   

B3: Nomura triples down the right field line and Lenahan hit a sac fly to bring him in! 1-0 Oaks, 3 outs.

Oaks Baseball @Conejo_Oaks     ·   3h   

B1: Ginther and Nomura start off the inning with back-to-back singles, but the Oaks aren't able to capitalize on them. 0-0.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 25, 2014, 09:11:16 pm
Rapids Rafters @RapidsRafters     ·   7h   

Zach Jackson is either dreaming about striking out 10 bullfrogs or about an ice cream sundae

It must have been an ice cream sundae as Jackson didn't exactly have a great outing tonight departing after only 1 IP.  Looks like he might be struggling a little adjusting to being a starter.

Yet, dotnet was all over me for saying Jackson might just be a 3-5 out guy.  Not downing him at all, because he could be the best in college at that and may not be able to get over the transition, although I hope he does become a great a starter! 

dotnet

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 16, 2014, 08:49:19 am
Yet, dotnet was all over me for saying Jackson might just be a 3-5 out guy.  Not downing him at all, because he could be the best in college at that and may not be able to get over the transition, although I hope he does become a great a starter! 

Ha.  Yes, my apologies.  You are right.  I, DVH, and Brian O'Connor are wrong. 

Jackson did throw 5 innings a few days ago giving up 0 ER, 2 hits, and striking out 6.

The game before he went six innings, with 3 earned runs on only 3 hits, while striking out 7. 

If he continues to give up about 1 hit every other inning, then he'll be okay. His biggest issue is his control.  In 23 2/3 innings this summer, he has given up more walks (16) than hits (14). His current ERA is 3.42 and he is 2-1 on the summer.

The following paragraph was written to preview his last game:

Starting for the Rafters tonight will be the flame throwing right handed Zach Jackson (Arkansas, 2-1). Jackson has worked 18.2 innings on the season and has an ERA of 4.33, but he has been a strikeout machine as he has recorded 30 strikeouts compared to only 13 walks and 12 hits allowed. If Jackson has his control on point, it will be a long night for the Border Cats as Jackson is one of the most electric pitchers in the Northwoods League.

ucahogfan

For those interested, the California Summer League ASG will be televised on Fox Sports West tonight at 9 PM CST.  Check your local listings for the channel it might be on in your area.

ucahogfan

July 16, 2014, 09:10:13 pm #134 Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:55:08 pm by ucahogfan
Nathan Rodriguez is batting 7th and is the starting C for the North All Stars.  Just let that sink in for a minute: a guy who graduated from high school about 2 months ago is the starting C in an ASG in a pretty good college league.  No wonder DVH was so high on him.

In his first inning behind the plate, Rodriguez did allow someone to steal a base on him as the throw was a little high, but the announcers attributed the base being stolen from how well a jump the runner got.  He also showed some good receiving skills and did a nice job of blocking a tough pitch.

In his first AB, Rodriguez drew a walk on a full count.

In his second AB, Rodriguez caught looking on a nasty curve ball with runners on 1st and 2nd with 2 outs.

A blast for the Hog past, Jon Woodcock threw an inning for the south team and was 86-88 with a pretty good curveball.  His bio said he is now at Virginia Tech.

Nathan Rodriguez was replaced behind home plate by fellow PUF Cap teammate Bryce Carter who is from Tulsa and will play his college ball at Stanford.

In his first AB, Rick Nomura went down swinging on a high fastball.  It was my first time seeing him either live or on video.  His swing from the LH side would probably compare most to a young Ichiro in that he starts down the 1B line in the middle of his AB.

Last thing from me tonight, the CCL has a team that is based around FCA players and brings a faith based approach to the game.  Their manager for the summer is coaching in the ASG and talked about the unique approach.  I think it is so cool that a team does that and hopefully those players are strengthened in their faith and in their game.

ricepig

I watched an inning and about the only thing I noticed was that Rodriguez wasn't that big, looks like he needs to hit the weight room.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on July 17, 2014, 10:09:09 am
I watched an inning and about the only thing I noticed was that Rodriguez wasn't that big, looks like he needs to hit the weight room.
Well, he is only 5-11 so he isn't going to look as big as McCann/Wise/past catchers.  His PG profile says he weighs 200 so he is a pretty good size for his height.  I think the coaches need to weigh their options before bulking him up.  At his size right now, he looks to be pretty agile beyond the plate and is a very hard worker back there.  I guess you could add 15 lbs or so and still keep that agility, but I think much more will hurt him defensively.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 17, 2014, 10:33:06 am
Well, he is only 5-11 so he isn't going to look as big as McCann/Wise/past catchers.  His PG profile says he weighs 200 so he is a pretty good size for his height.  I think the coaches need to weigh their options before bulking him up.  At his size right now, he looks to be pretty agile beyond the plate and is a very hard worker back there.  I guess you could add 15 lbs or so and still keep that agility, but I think much more will hurt him defensively.

I figure those profiles are about as accurate as team's media guides.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jbell96

Quote from: ricepig on July 17, 2014, 12:41:25 pm

High school kid makes the all star game of a summer league filled with college players, plays well, and you are complaining about his size. He's 17/18 years old, he will fill out.

As long he calls a great game, plays good defense, and hits about .270, I don't care how big he is.

ricepig

Quote from: jbell96 on July 17, 2014, 01:15:14 pm
High school kid makes the all star game of a summer league filled with college players, plays well, and you are complaining about his size. He's 17/18 years old, he will fill out.

As long he calls a great game, plays good defense, and hits about .270, I don't care how big he is.

I'm not complaining, I made an observation, lighten up. He doesn't have the prototypical size you see at catcher, but obviously he's good. In fact, if you would look back, I was one of the first to say he would be competing for the starting job.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on July 17, 2014, 12:41:25 pm
I fully agree with you that I would like to see him add some weight and I fully expect him to once he gets into our strength and conditioning program.  I just don't want him to add so much weight that it takes away from his agility behind the plate.  From the couple of innings I saw him catch last night, I think he will be every bit as good defensively as McCann and Wise.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 17, 2014, 01:52:11 pm
I fully agree with you that I would like to see him add some weight and I fully expect him to once he gets into our strength and conditioning program.  I just don't want him to add so much weight that it takes away from his agility behind the plate.  From the couple of innings I saw him catch last night, I think he will be every bit as good defensively as McCann and Wise.

Yep, and weight room doesn't necessarily mean he's going to bulk up 30lbs, he just looked like he could use some more upper body strength, as most high school SRs could. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on July 17, 2014, 02:09:18 pm
Yep, and weight room doesn't necessarily mean he's going to bulk up 30lbs, he just looked like he could use some more upper body strength, as most high school SRs could.
Yeah, true.  I expect him to add that upper body strength and it will allow him to hit for more power.

dotnet

Prototypical size and catcher are kind of weird.  If a guy is a prototypical catcher at 17/18... he is probably a 1b or LF in the majors at best.  See Kyle Schwarber discussions.  But either way, he is as big as craig biggio was and he made it to the bigs as a catcher.

The real issue is this... if you tell me that there is a freshman catcher coming in who has already made a college all star game, and his biggest issue is he needs to add 15-20 pounds - well... like someone said, no wonder DVH worked so hard to get him to campus. 

ucahogfan

Oaks Baseball @Conejo_Oaks     ·   55m   

T1: Rick Nomura just hit a rocket of a HR to open up the game! I think the ball is still going. 1-0 Oaks!

onebadrubi

5-11 200 is not prototype catcher?  Mulina boys all the way back to pudge... They are all in that ranger, granted they weight a little more because of the more years in a sophisticated weight room

ucahogfan

I believe that I have seen that Luke Bonfield will spend the rest of his summer in the Futures Collegiate Baseball League in the Northeast, although I'm not sure what team he will be on.  It will be very good if he gets 50 ABs or so up there.

Hogtown1

Quote from: dbbb on June 16, 2014, 04:33:53 pm
Bax is getting healthy and working with the AR strength coach 6 days a week instead of playing. Should be in great shape and stronger come the Fall.

And yes, DVH knows it....not sure where UCAHOGFAN gets his info but he is usually wrong.

Sounds like we found baxendales dad

Hogtown1

Are all of the summer leagues wooden bat leagues? And why would they swing wooden bats in off season if the use composite bats in regular season?