Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Summer Baseball 2014

Started by ucahogfan, May 27, 2014, 03:39:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

With games for several leagues getting underway tonight, I figured it was time to start this thread.

It got stickied last summer so could a mod please sticky this thread again?

I will post who is going where as the Hogs are very spread out this summer.

ucahogfan

May 27, 2014, 04:06:26 pm #1 Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:21:27 pm by ucahogfan
Team USA
Trey Killian - trying out for the team right now, should make the roster

Cape Cod League
Trey Killian - Wareham Gateman
Colin Poche - Falmouth Commodores

Northwoods League
James Teague - Lakeshore Chinooks
Landon Simpson - Waterloo Bucks
Henry Weiler - Wisconsin Woodchucks (RS RHP)
Matt Campbell - Wisconsin Woodchucks (JUCO Signee, MIF)
Zach Jackson - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
Blake Baxendale - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
Cullen Gassaway - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (JUCO Signee, 1B)
Clark Eagan - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters

California Collegiate League
Rick Nomura - Conejo Oaks (JUCO Signee, INF)
Matt Brown - Neptune Beach Pearl (RS, listed as a C)
Andrew Kelley - Neptune Beach Pearl (RS RHP)
Bobby Wernes - Neptune Beach Pearl
Nathan Rodriguez - Pacific Union Capitalists (HS Signee C, Top 200 Draft Prospect by BA)
Andrew Benintendi - San Luis Obispo Blues
Mike Bernal - San Luis Obispo Blues
Dominic Taccolini - San Luis Obispo Blues

Alaska Baseball League
Lance Phillips - Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks

Texas Collegiate League
Tucker Pennell - Brazos Valley Bombers (JUCO Signee, C)
Trent Hill - Brazos Valley Bombers (JUCO Signee, 1B/LHP)
Krisjon Wilkerson - Brazos Valley Bombers
Cannon Chadwick - Brazos Valley Bombers (JUCO Signee, RHP)
Lawson Vassar - Brazos Valley Bombers (RS RHP)
Brett McAfee - East Texas Pump Jacks
Jake Smith - Texas Marshalls (RS RHP)
Carson Shaddy - Texas Marshalls (RS C)
Dominic Todarello - Texas Marshalls (RS OF)
Alex Gosser - Texas Marshalls (Listed as inactive)

Coastal Plain League
Chris Falwell - Columbia Blowfish

RazorPiggie

No Spoon or just don't know where he's playing yet?

ricepig

California Collegiate League

Conejo Oaks
Rick Nomura

Neptune Beach Pearl
Matt Brown
Andrew Kelley
Bobby Wernes

Pacific Union Capitalist
Nathan Rodriguez

San Luis Obispo Blues
Andrew Benintendi
Mike Bernal
Dominic Taccolini

jacobp

Quote from: RAZORPIGGIE on May 27, 2014, 04:20:23 pm
Pro ball somewhere.

ucahogfan

Quote from: RAZORPIGGIE on May 27, 2014, 04:20:23 pm
He'll probably be playing in the organization that drafts him in about a week.

Typically players that expect to be drafted and expect to sign don't sign with a summer league team.

ucahogfan

By my count we have 30 players playing summer ball somewhere this year.

Players that aren't draft eligible and are on the Razorback roster are:

Garrett Rucker (will almost certainly be picked up by someone)
Josh Alberius (same as Rucker)
Austin Kerns (RS LHP)
Parker Sanburn (RS RHP)
Zach Barr (UCA Transfer LHP)
Alex Phillips (same as Rucker and Alberius)

That brings us up to 36 players for the fall by my count.

Draft eligible players not playing summer ball who could return:

Joe Serrano (highly unlikely IMO, but one poster close to the team seems to think so)
Tyler Spoon (I think he will sign as well)
Jackson Lowery

By my count, we are at 39 players without factoring in any high school signee, but Nathan Rodriguez if those 3 do return.

High school signees:

Keaton McKinney
Luke Bonfield
Jonah Patten
Sam Hentges
Blake Wiggins
Keith Grieshaber
Jack Benninghoff
Ryan Fant
Chad Spanberger
Mark Hammel
Kyle Pate
Mark Clark
Darien Simms
Blake Jones
Max Hogan (JUCO Signee not playing summer ball anywhere yet)

That brings us up to 54 players by my count who COULD be on campus in the fall.  Will be an insane fall practice to watch as the roster will need to get down to 35.

RazorPiggie

From my understanding he'll be back next year. He meaning Spoon.

ucahogfan

Quote from: RAZORPIGGIE on May 27, 2014, 04:44:56 pm
From my understanding he'll be back next year. He meaning Spoon.
That's good to hear.  If the perfect storm happens and we get him, Serrano, and McAfee back, our offense will have the veteran leadership it needs to excel IMO.

lowandaway

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 27, 2014, 04:38:12 pm
By my count we have 30 players playing summer ball somewhere this year.

Players that aren't draft eligible and are on the Razorback roster are:

Garrett Rucker (will almost certainly be picked up by someone)
Josh Alberius (same as Rucker)
Austin Kerns (RS LHP)
Parker Sanburn (RS RHP)
Zach Barr (UCA Transfer LHP)
Alex Phillips (same as Rucker and Alberius)

That brings us up to 36 players for the fall by my count.

Draft eligible players not playing summer ball who could return:

Joe Serrano (highly unlikely IMO, but one poster close to the team seems to think so)
Tyler Spoon (I think he will sign as well)
Jackson Lowery

By my count, we are at 39 players without factoring in any high school signee, but Nathan Rodriguez if those 3 do return.

High school signees:

Keaton McKinney
Luke Bonfield
Jonah Patten
Sam Hentges
Blake Wiggins
Keith Grieshaber
Jack Benninghoff
Ryan Fant
Chad Spanberger
Mark Hammel
Kyle Pate
Mark Clark
Darien Simms
Blake Jones
Max Hogan (JUCO Signee not playing summer ball anywhere yet)

That brings us up to 54 players by my count who COULD be on campus in the fall.  Will be an insane fall practice to watch as the roster will need to get down to 35.

How does this number compare to other SEC teams? 

ricepig

We won't get back all of the ones expected, there's always transfers after summer ball.

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on May 27, 2014, 04:54:56 pm
We won't get back all of the ones expected, there's always transfers after summer ball.
Yeah, we normally have about 5 players transfer to JUCOs.  Those tend to be the players who RS or didn't get the ABs they wanted.  Rarely do we have an impact player leave.

jry04

Spoon's draft stock fell drastically. I don't see him leaving after playing just two years, with only one being good, and still having 2 years of eligibility left. I bet he comes back for one more year after he sees where he is drafted. You do not see too many players hit 3 HRs, and hit around .250, and leave 2 years early.

Sueie

I guess McAfee got healed as soon as school was over?

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sueie on May 27, 2014, 05:39:41 pm
I guess McAfee got healed as soon as school was over?
He's signed with a team.  Doesn't necessarily mean he is healthy enough to play right now.

RazorPiggie

From what I've heard Spoon is coming home during the summer to rest up and will be back next year.

00AR

Zach Barr is playing in the Northwoods league for the Woodchucks and Alex Phillips is also signed to play for them, and Austin Kerns is playing for the Chillicothe Mudcats in the MINK league.

ucahogfan

Carson Shaddy is off to a very hot start in the TCL as he is hitting .407 (11-27) with 3 2B, 1 3B, but surprisingly 0 RBIs.  He is the only player on his team without an RBI, but is hitting for the highest average.  He has drawn 3 walks while striking out 7 times.

00AR

Clark Eagan made his debut today in the Northwoods. He played right field and went 3-4 with a RBI and a strikeout.

ucahogfan

A quick TCL update:

-  Krisjon Wilkerson has yet to see an AB for his team, but has thrown 3.0 IP where he is 0-1 with a 3.00 ERA.  He walked 6 and struck out 3 while giving up 3 hits including a 2B.

-  Cannon Chadwick is serving as the closer on his team.  He has been dominant.  In 7.2 IP, he has allowed 3 hits (all singles), walked 1, and hit 2 batters.  He has allowed 3 ERs for an ERA of 3.52.  He has struck out 13 and has 3 saves, but is 0-1.  I guess he had one bad outing and has been dominate otherwise.

00AR

Clark Eagan went 3-4 again today, had a double to bring his total up to 2, and also added 2 more RBI to bring his total to 3.

ucahogfan

Zach Jackson made a start in the Northwoods League tonight.  He turned in a very good start throwing 6.0 IP allowing 3 ERs on 5 hits and 1 walk.  He did allow 2 HRs, but showed legit swing and miss stuff with 12 Ks.

Clark Eagan didn't get to play tonight after Jackson got the start on the mound.  Cullen Gassaway is on the same team and went 3-4 (3 singles) with a run scored.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 12, 2014, 10:30:48 pm
Zach Jackson made a start in the Northwoods League tonight.  He turned in a very good start throwing 6.0 IP allowing 3 ERs on 5 hits and 1 walk.  He did allow 2 HRs, but showed legit swing and miss stuff with 12 Ks.

Clark Eagan didn't get to play tonight after Jackson got the start on the mound.  Cullen Gassaway is on the same team and went 3-4 (3 singles) with a run scored.
Glad to see Zach go 6.0 innings.

ucahogfan

Does anyone know why Matt Brown isn't playing summer ball yet?

Sueie

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 12, 2014, 11:13:37 pm
Does anyone know why Matt Brown isn't playing summer ball yet?

They are probably redshirting him. LOL!!  I thought he was on the Neptune roster in the California League.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sueie on June 13, 2014, 10:34:15 pm
They are probably redshirting him. LOL!!  I thought he was on the Neptune roster in the California League.
He is, but he has yet to record an AB out there and Neptune has played like 7-8 games.  I can understand it if he was traveling with the team, but since he RS, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be out there yet.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 13, 2014, 10:48:12 pm
He is, but he has yet to record an AB out there and Neptune has played like 7-8 games.  I can understand it if he was traveling with the team, but since he RS, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be out there yet.
He's gonna forget what it's like to hit if someone doesn't let he bat pretty soon.

Let Mat Bat!    Let Mat Bat!    Let Mat Bat! 

D02777

Is Blake Baxendale playing yet, or is the hamstring still an issue.

ucahogfan

Quote from: D02777 on June 16, 2014, 10:58:29 am
Is Blake Baxendale playing yet, or is the hamstring still an issue.
I haven't seem him in a box score yet.  I don't know, but don't ask DVH because Bax doesn't let him know.

Kevin

noticed beintendi has no at bats
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Sueie

Quote from: Kevin on June 16, 2014, 11:02:22 am
noticed beintendi has no at bats

If I am him. I am calling back to Fayetteville and telling them to find me a team to bat on or I will be heading back to Cincinnatti.  MOST of these summer ball teams are about as competitive as the Arkansas Express.

Why could they not have it where the teams stay together for the summer and play other college teams in your area?  I am sure that the UALR coach would volunteer to coach the team.  Speaking of UALR does anyone think they are fixing to face probation with the baseball program? Or they might be wise to just do away with it.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Sueie on June 16, 2014, 12:17:29 pm
If I am him. I am calling back to Fayetteville and telling them to find me a team to bat on or I will be heading back to Cincinnatti.  MOST of these summer ball teams are about as competitive as the Arkansas Express.
Eagan is having the same difficulty as well.  He went 3-4 in each of his first 2 games in Wisconsin and hasn't played since.  It's almost like the coach is punishing for showing up the rest of the team.  Now, he could be headed to the Cape or something like that because that is the only way I could see a coach bench a kid for 3-4 straight games after back to back 3 hit games.

We really need both Benintendi and Eagan to get as many ABs this summer as possible to keep sharp.

dbbb

Bax is getting healthy and working with the AR strength coach 6 days a week instead of playing. Should be in great shape and stronger come the Fall.

And yes, DVH knows it....not sure where UCAHOGFAN gets his info but he is usually wrong.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dbbb on June 16, 2014, 04:33:53 pm
Bax is getting healthy and working with the AR strength coach 6 days a week instead of playing. Should be in great shape and stronger come the Fall.
I like hearing this.  We will need Bax's bat next year.  It was awesome that Eagan stepped up in his place, but Bax will bring some punch in the heart of the order next year.

Quote from: dbbb on June 16, 2014, 04:33:53 pm
And yes, DVH knows it....not sure where UCAHOGFAN gets his info but he is usually wrong.
It was meant to be a joke.  DVH said in a PC that he didn't know Bax's status unless he asked the trainers because Bax wouldn't tell him.

dbbb

Seuie....you are correct about Arkansas EXPRESS

15+ former EXPRESS players have gone on to be Razorbacks and they have several committed already in the 2015 class. Also have several other SEC guys.

You can check some of them out this week as they will be playing all over NWA in the Hawg Showcase.

dbbb

It was meant to be a joke.  DVH said in a PC that he didn't know Bax's status unless he asked the trainers because Bax wouldn't tell him.

This is not true....go rewatch the interview he NEVER said...he only referenced that he had not talked to the trainer that day...all a mute point.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dbbb on June 16, 2014, 04:41:36 pm
This is not true....go rewatch the interview he NEVER said...he only referenced that he had not talked to the trainer that day...all a mute point.
Pretty sure DVH said Bax wouldn't talk to him about his injury and how different it was compared to others.  And you're right, it is a mute point.  Just need him to get healthy and come back and show why he could have been a top 5-6 round pick out of HS if not for his commitment to Arkansas.

ucahogfan

Clark Eagan is out of the lineup again tonight.  Something has to be up IMO.  Cullen Gassaway does have a 2B so far tonight for the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters.

Also, RS Junior LHP Zach Barr turned in a quality start for the Wisconsin Woodchucks throwing 6.0 IP and only allowing 1 ER.

accdnhog

Where is Benintendi playing?

ucahogfan

Rick Nomura has had a good summer in California so far.  It appears he is getting better with the more ABs he is getting.  He is hitting .327 (16-49) with 1 bunt single, 1 2B, and 2 3Bs.  He is 2nd on the team with 5 RBIs and has scored 7 runs.  He has drawn 6 walks and struck out 8 times.  He is 3-4 in stolen bases right now.  He could be the starting 2B next year.  He had 10 3Bs in JUCO ball this year, but only stole 9 bases which is weird.  Normally guys with a lot of triples tend to steal a lot of bases as well.

ucahogfan

Quote from: accdnhog on June 16, 2014, 08:36:37 pm
Where is Benintendi playing?
He is listed on the roster of the San Luis Obispo Blues in the California League, but hasn't been assigned a number on the roster I saw online.  Don't know if he is out there or not yet.

PorkRyan

Quote from: dbbb on June 16, 2014, 04:40:26 pm
Seuie....you are correct about Arkansas EXPRESS

15+ former EXPRESS players have gone on to be Razorbacks and they have several committed already in the 2015 class. Also have several other SEC guys.

You can check some of them out this week as they will be playing all over NWA in the Hawg Showcase.

Going to be up there tomorrow to catch some games.  A friend of ours is playing at Greenland at 10am.  Was thinking of heading over to White River and watching the Express 16's and Prospect 15's at 12:30.  Any particular teams or players that you recommend checking out? 

yraciv

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 16, 2014, 08:27:35 pm
Clark Eagan is out of the lineup again tonight.  Something has to be up IMO.  Cullen Gassaway does have a 2B so far tonight for the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters.

Also, RS Junior LHP Zach Barr turned in a quality start for the Wisconsin Woodchucks throwing 6.0 IP and only allowing 1 ER.

Does Cullen hit singles? I swear this is the same story every report. You think he'd occasionally face a no doubles defense.

ucahogfan

Quote from: yraciv on June 16, 2014, 10:07:42 pm
Does Cullen hit singles? I swear this is the same story every report. You think he'd occasionally face a no doubles defense.
Yeah, his first several hits up in the Northwoods before getting his feet wet against better pitching were singles for the most part.  He does appear to have plenty of doubles power though.

dotnet

Zach Barr, who I think redshirted this year, is tearing up the Northwoods league. 

He gave up 2 runs on four hits in three inning during his first start. 

His next three starts:

14 1/3 IP, 4H, 6BB, 11k's, 0 ER, 1 RA

ucahogfan

Matt Brown is now playing in the California League.  In 3 games, he is hitting .222 (2-9) with 1 2B, 1 run scored, and 2 RBIs.  He has drawn 2 walks and struck out 4 times.  He probably should improve as the summer goes along and he gets more ABs.

ricepig

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 17, 2014, 10:42:09 am
Matt Brown is now playing in the California League.  In 3 games, he is hitting .222 (2-9) with 1 2B, 1 run scored, and 2 RBIs.  He has drawn 2 walks and struck out 4 times.  He probably should improve as the summer goes along and he gets more ABs.
Maybe DVH knew something that Sueie didn't??  J/k, maybe???

Sueie

Quote from: ricepig on June 17, 2014, 11:47:51 am
Maybe DVH knew something that Sueie didn't??  J/k, maybe???
Those 2 RBI's could have improved our won loss record and maybe we would have been able to host.  I tried to tell them.

ucahogfan