Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jojo Robinson cleared

Started by The Recruiting Guy, May 22, 2014, 10:17:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

southeasthog

Quote from: GuvHog on May 23, 2014, 11:02:31 am
Since when is a little criticism Bashing a QB??? I can understand being somewhat protective of a player but some of you are going way overboard. BA made more than his share of mistakes last fall so let's not be acting like he's a perfect QB. There are flaws in his Game he needs to correct. If he's able to do that, he really will be a great QB. The Ball is in his court.

That's great news about Jojo.
Since he justified his statement about Horton being only the fourth leading receiver on the team as to why BA was to blame, I threw some facts out there. Brandon Allen didn't have a good year but there isn't a crew that did. Mike said BA would be glad to hear it. He should. Another playmaker. But Hogleone started with the BA bashing which I am getting a little tired of. Last season is over. Time to start on 2014.

HogFanatic

Fact of the matter is that unless we have some SURE HANDED receivers step up we will continue to see low completion percentages from our QBs regardless of who is throwing the ball. Sure, BA makes mistakes, but he does put a nice spin on the ball from time to time and place it in really nice places...like the receivers hands numbers high on the jersey, and then it gets dropped.

It happened several times in the spring game, in fact.

sportster365

Quote from: southeasthog on May 23, 2014, 01:10:17 pm
Here you go. A SEC West coach said this.

Arkansas

"They are going to be terrible. What they are doing now, it's the product of bad recruiting. They have a long ways to go. That's nothing against the new coaching staff. But they are going to be terrible in Year 1. I think they'll struggle up front, they'll struggle in the secondary, the linebackers should be average. It's going to take them three years to get a good foundation. It's a product of bad recruiting – which is typical of Bobby Petrino. It's the same thing that happened at Louisville that got Steve Kragthorpe fired. Petrino didn't leave him any players. It's the same thing at Arkansas. They have no players on defense...I think the young running back, Jonathan Williams, is going to be good for them."

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/coaches-talk-anonymously-sec-west/

Yes that's from last year and has been rehashed several times. What strikes me the most from that piece is that whoever that coach is that said those things only emphasized the defensive side of the ball. Nothing negative about Arkansas potential on offense.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Don Hogleone on May 23, 2014, 02:15:58 pm
Yes that's from last year and has been rehashed several times. What strikes me the most from that piece is that whoever that coach is that said those things only emphasized the defensive side of the ball. Nothing negative about Arkansas potential on offense.

They just didn't say anything about the offense other than Williams is good. That doesn't mean they think that Arkansas was going to field a terrific offense. It also emphasizes that in coach speak, defense really does win championships. If you can't play defense, you WILL run into teams that routinely beat your arse. Namely the Alabama's of the world.

sportster365

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 23, 2014, 01:22:46 pm
Fact of the matter is that unless we have some SURE HANDED receivers step up we will continue to see low completion percentages from our QBs regardless of who is throwing the ball. Sure, BA makes mistakes, but he does put a nice spin on the ball from time to time and place it in really nice places...like the receivers hands numbers high on the jersey, and then it gets dropped.

It happened several times in the spring game, in fact.

Just stop. If our WR were dropping balls at an alarming rate, I'd be the first to chastise. What I saw were a lot of passes thrown over the head of receivers and behind them and they're getting "bashed" because they couldn't make a play on a poorly thrown ball, stretching while hoping to avoid getting clobbered by an SEC DB or LB. That's absurd.  Their were no more passes dropped from properly thrown passes than would be expected. It's been magnified due to the number of poorly thrown balls that were passed.

The talk about a QB not being able to get into any rhythm, how do expect a receiver to get into any rhythm when he's lacks confidence in his QB being capable of getting him the ball? How do you get into any rhythm when if you're lucky out of 65 offensive plays you might see the ball thrown your way twice, hoping one of which is accurately enough thrown to actually make a play on? How do get into a rhythm when all you're doing for most of the game is blocking and being a human decoy to take DBs out of the play? Tell me how do you remain focus and at the top of your game in those situations?

Those Warren Boys, Joe, Colby, and DJ... they all knew they were going to get the ball. It was just a matter of when and how. So remaining focus and playing hard for 4 qtrs. was not much of an issue. I'm not saying these guys had an issue with it , but psychologically I can see how they could. I'm not saying we need to throw the ball 35 times a game, it's just we have to be more productive in the passing game and that begins with the QB.

It's not placing all the blame on BA, because receivers did drop some passes (not enough to take the blame for poor QB play), the defense did give up too many points, the coaching was suspect at times, the RBs did fumble the ball...  I mean the list could go on, but the most important is QB and coaching. The QB will have the ball in his hands every offensive possession and the coaches are calling the shots... that's where the buck start and stops in seasons teams go winless in conference.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Don Hogleone on May 23, 2014, 02:54:53 pm
Just stop. If our WR were dropping balls at an alarming rate, I'd be the first to chastise. What I saw were a lot of passes thrown over the head of receivers and behind them and they're getting "bashed" because they couldn't make a play on a poorly thrown ball, stretching while hoping to avoid getting clobbered by an SEC DB or LB. That's absurd.  Their were no more passes dropped from properly thrown passes than would be expected. It's been magnified due to the number of poorly thrown balls that were passed.

The talk about a QB not being able to get into any rhythm, how do expect a receiver to get into any rhythm when he's lacks confidence in his QB being capable of getting him the ball? How do you get into any rhythm when if you're lucky out of 65 offensive plays you might see the ball thrown your way twice, hoping one of which is accurately enough thrown to actually make a play on? How do get into a rhythm when all you're doing for most of the game is blocking and being a human decoy to take DBs out of the play? Tell me how do you remain focus and at the top of your game in those situations?

Those Warren Boys, Joe, Colby, and DJ... they all knew they were going to get the ball. It was just a matter of when and how. So remaining focus and playing hard for 4 qtrs. was not much of an issue. I'm not saying these guys had an issue with it , but psychologically I can see how they could. I'm not saying we need to throw the ball 35 times a game, it's just we have to be more productive in the passing game and that begins with the QB.

It's not placing all the blame on BA, because receivers did drop some passes (not enough to take the blame for poor QB play), the defense did give up too many points, the coaching was suspect at times, the RBs did fumble the ball...  I mean the list could go on, but the most important is QB and coaching. The QB will have the ball in his hands every offensive possession and the coaches are calling the shots... that's where the buck start and stops in seasons teams go winless in conference.

Those guys were dropping passes even when Tyler was the QB. Why do you think he always went to Hamilton? Because the others dropped passes. Of course BA has to raise his game as does Chaney. But you need to stop acting like those guys were not catching passes purely because of BA.

They dropped passes for Tyler as well.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HogFanatic

Quote from: Don Hogleone on May 23, 2014, 02:54:53 pm

How is it that you can start your post with something like, "just stop", and then go on to say exactly the same thing I said?

Another one that just likes to argue with folks I guess. That's cool. That's what the internet has become.

As I said, BA makes plenty of mistakes, but his receivers also drop passes a LOT. How do the receivers stay in rhythm? I dunno, ask Nick Saban. They run a similar offensive system, yet his receivers catch balls that hit them in the hands...even if its their only catch of the game.

I am not bashing any players here, just calling it like I see it. I watched the spring game three times and that is the biggest thing I took away from it other than the overthrown balls. The receivers dropping passes that hit them in the hands. In stride even.

sportster365

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 23, 2014, 03:17:25 pm
Those guys were dropping passes even when Tyler was the QB. Why do you think he always went to Hamilton? Because the others dropped passes. Of course BA has to raise his game as does Chaney. But you need to stop acting like those guys were not catching passes purely because of BA.

They dropped passes for Tyler as well.
you apparently don't know what you're talking about. the knock-on hamilton by NFL scouts was that he drops too many passes. Hamilton caught more passes and dropped more passes than any other receiver on the team

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Don Hogleone on May 23, 2014, 04:00:34 pm
you apparently don't know what you're talking about. the knock-on hamilton by NFL scouts was that he drops too many passes. Hamilton caught more passes and dropped more passes than any other receiver on the team

Probably because the ball was thrown to him more often. But, as you say, I don't know anything. Must be hard for you having to chat with so many not as smart as you.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Don Hogleone on May 22, 2014, 04:03:29 pm
I heard what Clint said that morning as well. Clint said something along the lines of Julian receiving a contract to just to participate in the mini-camp. I disagreed with Clint then, just as I disagree with you now. I don't believe NFL teams sign players for a 2 year contract just so they can run around for them during a mini-camp. Clint also said 2 years is the league minimum which is wrong as well. They could have held him as a reserve/future contract or given him a one-year deal relegating him as a practice squad guy.

It's more to it than just having the measurables. There are tons of kids each year that fit the mold but get passed on because they don't possess the skill to make an NFL roster. I'm not saying Horton's going to be the next Titan showstopper or will even be in the league past the next 2 years. Alls I'm saying is that he's obviously better than some have given him credit for being just as some of the guys who played with him last year and are still on this squad

By the way, Jevontee Herndon also signed with an NFL team, San Diego.

You obviously don't follow the NFL very closely. Every team in the NFL signs 20 + guys every year to 1 year, 2 year contracts knowing full well they will all be cut by the last week of training camp. The  reason they go 2 years is because the player doesn't have enough leverage to make it a one year deal. Any undrafted free agent contract is literally day to day regardless of the length. The team has no obligation to keep him past the day the contract is signed and it costs them virtually nothing to cut them. If they give you $2500 to sign a 2 year deal and they cut you after the first 3 day mini camp it costs the team $1250 against this years cap. There have already been approx 50 free agents that signed contracts after this years draft that have been cut, many with 2 year deals. Teams need 90 players to conduct practices in training camp, they will leave camp with a 53 man roster and an 8 man practice squad.....that leaves 29 players under contract that will be cut and almost every single one was signed knowing that would be the end result. If they find a diamond in the rough out of the 30 free agents they signed they hope it was one that didn't have the leverage to negotiate a one year deal therefore making them eligible to negotiate a real contract with any team that includes a real signing bonus after their first year.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

PorkRinds

Quote from: k.c.hawg on May 23, 2014, 04:54:33 pm
You obviously don't follow the NFL very closely. Every team in the NFL signs 20 + guys every year to 1 year, 2 year contracts knowing full well they will all be cut by the last week of training camp. The  reason they go 2 years is because the player doesn't have enough leverage to make it a one year deal. Any undrafted free agent contract is literally day to day regardless of the length. The team has no obligation to keep him past the day the contract is signed and it costs them virtually nothing to cut them. If they give you $2500 to sign a 2 year deal and they cut you after the first 3 day mini camp it costs the team $1250 against this years cap. There have already been approx 50 free agents that signed contracts after this years draft that have been cut, many with 2 year deals. Teams need 90 players to conduct practices in training camp, they will leave camp with a 53 man roster and an 8 man practice squad.....that leaves 29 players under contract that will be cut and almost every single one was signed knowing that would be the end result. If they find a diamond in the rough out of the 30 free agents they signed they hope it was one that didn't have the leverage to negotiate a one year deal therefore making them eligible to negotiate a real contract with any team that includes a real signing bonus after their first year.

Don't confuse him with facts. He's got an opinion to believe here!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: k.c.hawg on May 23, 2014, 04:54:33 pm

Here is an ESPN link talking about these kind of contracts. Now this is the Patriots page, so they show their undrafted free agents, but the Titans would be similar.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4743149/closer-look-at-rookie-free-agent-deals

The collective bargaining agreement dictates that all contracts signed by rookie free-agents are three years in length with a minimum value of $1.44 million over the life of the contract. But not all rookie free agent contracts are exactly the same, as teams can guarantee differing amounts of money to each player upon signing them.

That was the case for the Patriots latest pool of undrafted free-agents, and the following is a break down of how much each player received in guaranteed money, which comes in the form of either a signing bonus of a partially guaranteed base salary.

Wide receiver T.J. Moe
Signing bonus: $8,000
Base salary guarantee: $22,000
Total guarantee: $30,000

Tight end Zach Sudfeld
Signing bonus: $12,000
Base salary guarantee: $5,000
Total guarantee: $17,000

Offensive lineman Elvis Fisher
Signing bonus: $7,500
Base salary guarantee: $7,500
Total guarantee: $15,000

Offensive lineman Josh Kline
Signing bonus: $4,000
Base salary guarantee: $10,000
Total guarantee: $14,000

Fullback Ben Bartholomew
Signing Bonus: $10,000
Base salary guarantee: 0
Total guarantee: $10,000

Safety Kanorris Davis
Signing bonus: $5,000
Base salary guarantee: $5,000
Total guarantee: $10,000

Defensive lineman Cory Grissom
Signing bonus: $4,000
Base salary guarantee: $4,000
Total guarantee: $8,000

Offensive lineman Chris McDonald
Signing bonus: $5,000
Total guarantee: $5,000

Offensive lineman Matt Stankiewitch
Signing bonus: $2,500
Base salary guarantee: $2,500

Wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins

Punter Ryan Allen
Signing bonus: $1,500
Total guarantee: $4,000

Cornerback Brandon Jones
Signing bonus: $3,500
Total guarantee: $3,500

Tight end Brandon Ford
Signing bonus: $3,000
Total guarantee: $3,000

Cornerback Stephon Morris
Total guarantee: $2,500

Long snapper Mike Zupanic
Signing bonus: $2,000
Total guarantee: $2,000

Defensive lineman Dewayne Cherrington
Signing bonus: $1,000
Base salary guarantee: $1,000
Total guarantee: $2,000

Running back Quentin Hines
Signing bonus: $1,000
Total guarantee: $1,000