Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ominous note about SEC Network and DirecTV from SEC Commissioner Slive

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 22, 2014, 09:11:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Slive said he's optimistic that the network due to launch in August will line up other distributors beyond AT&T U-verse and Dish, but adds that "whether it comes before or after we launch is another question." Slive is among those who doesn't use either of those outlets for his TV programming. "I will have the distributor or distributors that carry the SEC Network, which for me will require a change," he said.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/may/22/autonomy-will-be-hot-topic-destin/

McKdaddy

The Ag wife and I have a personal deadline of Aug 1 to switch from DTV.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

hoglady

I will be switching from Comcast to something - but I won't sit here and miss ballgames this fall / while Comcast and SEC Network wait each other out.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Tyro3

I have Cox, I called and talked to some rep and he didn't know what I was talking about, have been a subscriber for years, but I will see the Hog games, so goodbye Cox.

Piggfoot

Who has publicly stated they will have the SEC network in the beginning?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Piggfoot on May 22, 2014, 10:06:25 am
Who has publicly stated they will have the SEC network in the beginning?

Uverse and Dish Network

KCHOGFAN

Tequilin' Time

I'm up $#t creek in CT with Optimum being a tri-state only provider.   I'm ringing em up,  and they keep blowing me off with the same tired line "if we get enough demand we'll consider it".

U-Verse not available for my address

Dish,   sigh,  would have always been my last choice. 

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Professor Psychosis

I hope Cox gets on the ball.  I don't carry anything (except Cox internet) right now because I don't watch enough of anything to justify cable (yay for Netflix and Amazon Prime), but I'm thinking I'm going to carry them from mid-August to mid-January specifically for football.  But no SEC Network will end that notion and I'll just spend a lot of time at the sports bar on Saturdays instead.

Quote from: KCHOGFAN on May 22, 2014, 12:36:13 pm
If you live in Kansas City, Austin, or Provo Google Fiber has agreed to carry the SEC Network. 

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/04/google-fiber-to-carry-sec-network-for-august-14-2014-debut/

I really wish we had that here.  Google Fiber, Android phone, Chrome browser...I, for one, welcome our Google overlords.

GO

Suddenlink here in south Arkansas. I have called them a couple of times but seems no one there I have spoke with knows what they might do, in fact one lady said she doubted it right away as it would probably be cost prohibitive for them, On the other hand a lady that works in the local office told my dad a month ago that they were in negotiations. Who knows. I really hate to switch to Satellite, but I hate missing games more.

texas tush hog

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 22, 2014, 09:12:41 am

I'm right there with you and every time I talk to DirecTV I so advise them of that fact.

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tyro3 on May 22, 2014, 09:36:22 am
I have Cox, I called and talked to some rep and he didn't know what I was talking about, have been a subscriber for years, but I will see the Hog games, so goodbye Cox.

That is pretty much what I told them. Either carry the SEC Network or color me gone.
Go Hogs Go!

Doug

All of you inferring about illegal links or streams, don't. Keep it COMPLETELY off Hogville. That includes private messages. Sorry to have to put my Admin hat on about this, but you guys really don't have any clue as to just how much trouble we could get into over this.

Please do your part, keep it off of our servers completely.

Thanks.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

wachhog

AT&T is going to buy Direct.  They will both play hardball but they wopill get a deal.were it not for sports nobody would've ally need to subscribe to cable or satellite tv.  Why else do you think AT&T wants Direct?  They all are painfully aware of this change occurring in the entertainment delivery system.

stan the man

If AT&T Uverse is handling SEC network you can bet Direct TV will be on board. Not only are they negotiating to become partners AT&T offers Direct TV to customers that do nothave access to Uverse

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: stan the man on May 22, 2014, 08:08:00 pm
If AT&T Uverse is handling SEC network you can bet Direct TV will be on board. Not only are they negotiating to become partners AT&T offers Direct TV to customers that do nothave access to Uverse

Quote from: wachhog on May 22, 2014, 07:58:33 pm
AT&T is going to buy Direct.  They will both play hardball but they wopill get a deal.were it not for sports nobody would've ally need to subscribe to cable or satellite tv.  Why else do you think AT&T wants Direct?  They all are painfully aware of this change occurring in the entertainment delivery system.

I don't think anyone here doubts that DirecTV will have the SEC Network at some point.  The issue is "when"?  For one thing, they merger/acquisition of DirecTV by AT&T is likely to take at least a year.  Secondarily, DirecTV has a long history of playing "hard ball" (i.e., allowing deadlines to come and go without caving and signing the carrier).  They just went several months without the Weather Channel, a long-time cable staple.  And they still don't carry either the PAC sports network (their equivalent of the SEC Network), nor the Longhorn Network. 

We all know the SEC Network is (or should be viewed as) a different animal than those other two.  But that doesn't mean DirecTV is going to change their negotiating tactics.

DeltaBoy

Glad I still Direct TV  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GuvHog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 23, 2014, 11:42:55 am
I don't think anyone here doubts that DirecTV will have the SEC Network at some point.  The issue is "when"?  For one thing, they merger/acquisition of DirecTV by AT&T is likely to take at least a year.  Secondarily, DirecTV has a long history of playing "hard ball" (i.e., allowing deadlines to come and go without caving and signing the carrier).  They just went several months without the Weather Channel, a long-time cable staple.  And they still don't carry either the PAC sports network (their equivalent of the SEC Network), nor the Longhorn Network. 

We all know the SEC Network is (or should be viewed as) a different animal than those other two.  But that doesn't mean DirecTV is going to change their negotiating tactics.

Isn't the Pac 12 Network produced and operated by Fox??? If so, it could be that ESPN and Directv have an agreement that in exchange for lower rates for ESPN, Directv won't carry the Pac 12 network.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Wild Bill Hog

Have had Dish for several years.  Glad I don't have to change.

KCHOGFAN

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 22, 2014, 03:01:51 pm
will time warner be a provider?

I spoke with TWC and as usual the customer service rep was clueless.  He had no idea what I was talking about nor did he try to connect me with someone else. I'm  north of the river in Kansas City and am fortunate  that Google Fiber is starting construction in my neighborhood in June.  They will carry the SEC Network.  I am sure at some point TWC will come to an agreement with ESPN but they likely push it to the very end. 

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: GuvHog on May 23, 2014, 12:41:36 pm
Isn't the Pac 12 Network produced and operated by Fox??? If so, it could be that ESPN and Directv have an agreement that in exchange for lower rates for ESPN, Directv won't carry the Pac 12 network.

DirecTV already carries a boatload of FOX channels . . . ALL the sports regionals, Fox network, FX, etc.  Plus - why would they "allow" Dish to have it, but not DirecTV?  More to the point, why would DirecTV let them dictate? 

Makes no sense.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 22, 2014, 09:12:41 am

Was she a yell leader?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

We have already switched from Direct to Uverse. We had been considering it for some time now. Less expensive and more channels. I was NOT going to go to another carrier that didn't have it also though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jkstock04

My sentiments as well...not to mention the fact that they gladly carry that longhorn nation and Big 10 garbage. Screw em...if they don't pick up the SEC network I'm changing services.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The NewEra

Quote from: hoglady on May 22, 2014, 09:26:54 am
I will be switching from Comcast to something - but I won't sit here and miss ballgames this fall / while Comcast and SEC Network wait each other out.

Do yourself a favor and go with Dish and get the Hopper.  You will be so glad you did.

870hogfan

TNhogfan

Quote from: GuvHog on May 23, 2014, 12:41:36 pm
No, FOX Sports owns half of BTN.  Pac-12 Networks are owned by the conference.  This is a part of what has hurt Pac-12 in negotiating is they are on their own unlike Big 10 who has a partner in FOX or the SEC whose network is owned by ESPN.  They also have not done themselves any favors by wanting all 7 channels carried.  Occasionally their might be a different basketball game or this time of year baseball/softball game on one of the sub-channels, but usually it's the same programming on all 7 channels. 

McKdaddy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 24, 2014, 07:00:14 am
Was she a yell leader?

When she was there, only corps members could be yell leaders. That changed in 2001 or so, but I'm not sure any young ladies have successfully campaigned to be a yell leader.

Capt. Hamm

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Quote from: GO on May 22, 2014, 03:41:52 pm
Suddenlink here in south Arkansas. I have called them a couple of times but seems no one there I have spoke with knows what they might do, in fact one lady said she doubted it right away as it would probably be cost prohibitive for them, On the other hand a lady that works in the local office told my dad a month ago that they were in negotiations. Who knows. I really hate to switch to Satellite, but I hate missing games more.

Patience.  I predict not only will you have it by the time the season starts, but you won't have to pay any additional costs to have it, as long as you're not a limited basic customer.   ;)

Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

Tyro3

Just had a chat with Miranda at Cox and she said that they are in negotiations now with ESPN and hope to have something in the next month, so that is some progress, it's the first person I have spoken with at Cox that even knew what I was talking about.

Big Daddy

My nephew called Direct and asked if they were going to carry the SEC network. The rep said what's that??

Hogchick

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

PorcineSublime

Keep in mind guys that, when you call tech support line and ask about this kind stuff, it is the equivalent of asking the guy/girl who rings you up at WalMart what the five year plan is for foreign acquisition of assets and how they will compete with the Korean national grocery chain. I am sure they have been given some canned answers to say, but is not like Rageeb or Goopta siting in Delhi has a real handle on where the negotiations are at.

I do however expect that DTV will be late to the party because they have shown that they have a willingness to stand their ground even if it costs them a few thousand subscribers. Doesn't mean that I am going to toss aside a service that I am quite happy with over one game. I will just have to be a big fan of BWW (or better yet Foghorns) that day and have few wings and watch the game.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

McKdaddy

Quote from: PorcineSublime on May 25, 2014, 08:24:03 am
Doesn't mean that I am going to toss aside a service that I am quite happy with over one game. I will just have to be a big fan of BWW (or better yet Foghorns) that day and have few wings and watch the game.

That's crossed my mind as well for the opening SECN game of aTm vs SC for the wife and for our AU game.

Unfortunately, bw3 for me as I don't live in nwa.

TrueBlue

I am glad U-Verse is going to carry the SEC Network, but does anyone know why they have always carried the BYU network here? Or for that matter the Pac-12? Seems like such a waste of programming. 

batesvillepharmer

No satellite options due to trees. No uverse. Suddenlink is only game for me, so hope it pans out... But are there live options for these roku or apple box devices? 

The Kig

Quote from: PorcineSublime on May 25, 2014, 08:24:03 am
Keep in mind guys that, when you call tech support line and ask about this kind stuff, it is the equivalent of asking the guy/girl who rings you up at WalMart what the five year plan is for foreign acquisition of assets and how they will compete with the Korean national grocery chain. I am sure they have been given some canned answers to say, but is not like Rageeb or Goopta siting in Delhi has a real handle on where the negotiations are at

Glad someone posted this.... was about to do it.  Even if they are US based, they are likely barely above minimum wage and like most "clock punchers" don't really think past the next smoke break.
Poker Porker

jacobp

Quote from: batesvillepharmer on May 25, 2014, 09:50:19 am
No satellite options due to trees. No uverse. Suddenlink is only game for me, so hope it pans out... But are there live options for these roku or apple box devices? 
Roku has the watch espn app so yea there is an option for live streaming. Never sure about blackouts though

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: The Kig on May 25, 2014, 09:53:35 am
Glad someone posted this.... was about to do it.  Even if they are US based, they are likely barely above minimum wage and like most "clock punchers" don't really think past the next smoke break.

I, too, very nearly posted a similar comment yesterday when re-visiting this thread.  For years I've been frustrated when talking to whoever answers the phone at DirecTV about specific programming questions because - without exception - I've known more about the subject than they do.  So, that's (calling customer service) wasted time and effort.

I used to think sending a letter had more impact, but in this day and age of digital correspondence, I don't know if the "managers" even open their snail-mail.

Oh well . . . they'll find out when subscribers by the tens of thousands per day start melting away in another month or so.

Boston RedHogs

As much as I would want to switch from DirecTV if a deal isn't reached, I just can't do without the DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket.

I'll be waiting it out until an agreement is reached......whenever that may be.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: batesvillepharmer on May 25, 2014, 09:50:19 am

Get rid of the trees. That is the way things are done in the SEC..........................................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 24, 2014, 11:41:28 am
When she was there, only corps members could be yell leaders. That changed in 2001 or so, but I'm not sure any young ladies have successfully campaigned to be a yell leader.

It was a joke about gender and sexual orientation which is a common theme with Tamu yell leaders.

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on May 25, 2014, 11:26:16 am
As much as I would want to switch from DirecTV if a deal isn't reached, I just can't do without the DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket.

I'll be waiting it out until an agreement is reached......whenever that may be.

Enjoy the Sunday Ticket with Direct while you can...
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 25, 2014, 10:18:16 am
I, too, very nearly posted a similar comment yesterday when re-visiting this thread.  For years I've been frustrated when talking to whoever answers the phone at DirecTV about specific programming questions because - without exception - I've known more about the subject than they do.  So, that's (calling customer service) wasted time and effort.

I used to think sending a letter had more impact, but in this day and age of digital correspondence, I don't know if the "managers" even open their snail-mail.

Oh well . . . they'll find out when subscribers by the tens of thousands per day start melting away in another month or so.

This is by design. They don't want customer service level employees discussing something as complicated as programming negotiations with customers. It is an open ended conversation that can go on for a helluva lot longer than the time allotted they are given to "dispose of" a call that deals with a billing issue or a sell. It is very possible that they have a key word flag they enter without the customers knowledge for the powers that be to be able to gauge the overall customer response to a programming issue.

I got DirecTV when there were well under 200,000 subscribers. I was told by a manager that I have one of the only 6 digit account numbers left in their system. When you figure in the sports packages I subscribe to, my bill pretty much runs $180 a month and in return I have always gotten every equipment upgrade rapidly and relatively cost free and I get outstanding response anytime I've ever had a problem. I have faith DirecTV will get the SEC Network before opening day of football season but "if" they don't and play hardball more than a week or two in, I will drop my 20 year relationship with them and never go back.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

McKdaddy

Quote from: The Kig on May 25, 2014, 09:53:35 am

Yep

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 25, 2014, 11:31:00 am
Get rid of the trees. That is the way things are done in the SEC..........................................
Lot of truth in that for sure.  8)
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.