Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Military Academy Schools?

Started by Tick Hog, May 22, 2014, 01:26:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tick Hog

I was watching a documentary on West Point and was curious about their recruiting. Obviously you would have to have the smarts to get in but I wonder about weight requirements. I'm pretty sure everyone attending is consider a soldier first. While their OL and DL aren't as big as most there are still some over 300 Lbs. I know that if a common Joe goes to enlist they wouldn't be excepted at this weight. It's just a random question that came to mind and figured some on here could answer.  Thanks

BTW these guys have tremendous time management skills to be able to keep up with all their duties and find time for sports. It's amazing

mizzouman

I know there used to be a height limit but not a weight limit.  As long as you are physically in shape to pass your physical test, you are OK.

The height limit either got changed or is no longer in place.  I don't think David Robinson would have qualified back 50 years ago or so. 

My dad had a good friend who wanted to go to West Point, but was ineligible because he was 6'8.  But, that was way back in the 1940's.

Hawk

I was offered by the Air Force Academy back in the '70"s. The only height requirements that I remember were for pilots. There was also an eye sight requirement for pilots, if that's the direction you wanted to go. At that time I was 6'3", 250. My size was never questioned.

sickboy

Quote from: Hawk on May 22, 2014, 01:31:28 pm
I was offered by the Air Force Academy back in the '70"s. The only height requirements that I remember were for pilots. There was also an eye sight requirement for pilots, if that's the direction you wanted to go. At that time I was 6'3", 250. My size was never questioned.

At 6'3" 250... I would hope that your size wasn't questioned.

mizzouman

Quote from: Hawk on May 22, 2014, 01:31:28 pm
I guess the height requirement must have changed prior to the 70's unless there are different general requirements for each school which I would find hard to believe. 

I would definately understand a height requirement for pilots.

hawgfan4life

Army players must meet height and weight standards of active duty soldiers the entire time and take PT tests every year for sure and I am confident every semester.  Navy and Air Force waive those requirements until the player's second semester senior year.  Therefore, Navy and AirForce are much bigger than Army every year.  As for training, athletes on teams are credited with athletic participation and not required to do a lot of the other requirements a nonparticipating cadet must complete.

pillowhog

Army had two 6-10 players this year on their basketball team so I call B.S. on this

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: pillowhog on May 27, 2014, 02:41:16 pm
Army had two 6-10 players this year on their basketball team so I call B.S. on this

Well, you should check your B.S. meter, because Army Regulation 600-9  (the 'Army Weight Control Program') states that soldiers must be able to meet the physical demands of their duties under combat conditions and to present "a trim military appearance at all times." Soldiers will be required to weigh in, at least, when taking the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) or no longer than every six months.

It doesn't matter how tall each soldier is as long as their height, weight, and body fat % all fall in an acceptable level. Considering the two 6'10" players are part of the Army's basketball program, it's highly doubtful that their body fat % is an issue.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

pillowhog

You fool nobody said anything about body fat % in this post until you brought it up.  They were just saying there was a ht and weight requirement.  So obviously if there are guys 6-10 in school there is NO height limit.

hawgfan4life

Minimum height requirements.  Not maximum height!  Lol...

Carl Lazlo

Get it together or will be shipping your azz off to military school with the gd finkelsteen shiz kids, son of a...

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: pillowhog on May 27, 2014, 02:57:36 pm
You fool nobody said anything about body fat % in this post until you brought it up.  They were just saying there was a ht and weight requirement.

Yet you exerted your genius because, duh, they are 6'10." Not because you understood what the rule actually was.

Heaven forbid you actually learn what your "BS" guess actually pertained to.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: pillowhog on May 27, 2014, 02:57:36 pm
You fool nobody said anything about body fat % in this post until you brought it up.  They were just saying there was a ht and weight requirement.  So obviously if there are guys 6-10 in school there is NO height limit.

The Army, through AR 600-9, uses height vs. weight at different age brackets to calculate acceptable weight.

Also, don't be so quick to call someone a fool.  It makes you seem like an unintelligent hothead, which surely you're not.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

VBMark

Well having had friends at West Point, let me give it to you straight.

The football players allowed to blow the ht/wt deal until their last semester. Not all of the athletes graduate in May. I know one who graduated in December so as to get an extra semester to get graduation credits.

You only have to meet ht/wt to get promoted. So in order to get commissioned, they must meet the ht/wt requirement or the body fat requirement which is 22% for a 22 year old male (Female could be up to 32%). If you don't make the weight requirement, then you can fall back to the body fat requirement; and, if you meet that, then you are okay. At 6'3 and 21 years old, you are supposed to weigh 212 lbs. However, if you get taped and have a body fat of less than 22%, then you are good to go.

So that is the standard that cadets have to meet to graduate.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Tick Hog

Quote from: VBMark on May 28, 2014, 03:26:14 pm
Well having had friends at West Point, let me give it to you straight.

The football players allowed to blow the ht/wt deal until their last semester. Not all of the athletes graduate in May. I know one who graduated in December so as to get an extra semester to get graduation credits.

You only have to meet ht/wt to get promoted. So in order to get commissioned, they must meet the ht/wt requirement or the body fat requirement which is 22% for a 22 year old male (Female could be up to 32%). If you don't make the weight requirement, then you can fall back to the body fat requirement; and, if you meet that, then you are okay. At 6'3 and 21 years old, you are supposed to weigh 212 lbs. However, if you get taped and have a body fat of less than 22%, then you are good to go.

So that is the standard that cadets have to meet to graduate.
Thanks I was  looking at their roster and saw some 6'2 320 persons. Anyway you spin it those guys aren't under the weight limit or body fat but like some said I guess they have their last sem to trim down

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

David Robinson had to get a waiver to attend Annapolis. He was to be a Submariner however, he was to tall to do so.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

DeltaBoy

The Academies bend the rules at times to win some games bottom line.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

scruf

I will say that Air Force and Navy will always be better than the Army in college athletics as long as they continue to provide lower-risk assignments after graduation and keep providing service-requirement waivers to players who are good enough to go pro after graduation. HUGE recruiting advantage. Where would you go to play? It makes for a very uneven playing field.

hawgfan4life

Army requirements is go or no go meaning pass or fail.  Failure to meet weight gets you BMI tested.  Failure there is no go.  Athletes at West Point are still expected to meet army standard and are not excused until final semester.  Athletes are not routinely allowed an extra semester to graduate.  Yes it happens but not as a matter of routine circumstances.  Instead, they are given opportunities to take extra classes in summers to catch up or get ahead and still meet graduation end of fourth year.  Real advantage for athletes is their practice and games get them out of a lot of Saturday inspections, marching, etc.  West Point is more restrictive than Navy and Air Force for cadets meeting military standards throughout versus waiver until last semester.

Pork Twain

Quote from: scruf on May 29, 2014, 08:44:47 am
I will say that Air Force and Navy will always be better than the Army in college athletics as long as they continue to provide lower-risk assignments after graduation and keep providing service-requirement waivers to players who are good enough to go pro after graduation. HUGE recruiting advantage. Where would you go to play? It makes for a very uneven playing field.
Whose fault is that?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/21/5736040/college-football-military-service-academies
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hawgfan4life

Very accurate article in many ways but a little misleading in others.  While cadets must go through stringent measures to gain an appointment, the academies use their prep schools to place many athletes that don't have the scores.  Prep schools still play games while serving like a red shirt year.  Also, the athletes are not required to do all the same stuff as other cadets during season  because they are credited with practice.  All i n all, they have to meet most cadet requirements and they exit with a military obligation.  Their academy experience is tougher in some ways because of the combining of major sport commitment to the academy life.  If you know an academy cadet or graduate, you know a very special person.

Pork Twain

I know a LOT of those guys and some are very special and many are complete tools (ring knockers).  No matter what, getting them to sign up to play for any service academy is much more difficult than getting them to sign with any other school that does not require you to be part of the <1% that chooses to serve their country.  My last supervisor graduated from Okie St and his dad is a recently retired 3* general that graduated from the USAFA.  I asked him why he did not follow in his dad's footsteps and go to the USAFA and he said he actually wanted to enjoy college.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hawgfan4life

It takes a very special American citizen to first make the cut to even be nominated, second be selected, third accept and begin an academy, and fourth to complete all that is required.  What that person does with those gifts is what defines them as a "tool" or not.  Doesn't mean they were less gifted or "special" as I stated.