Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How does this backfield compare All-Time? I think it's #2.

Started by ThisTeetsTaken, May 21, 2014, 01:09:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

IMO this years backfield of Williams, Collins, and Marshall ranks just behind the trio of McFadden, Jones, and Hillis.  Anybody think of a backfield that is better than this years?  Anyone think this trio is as good as McFadden and co?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Poker_hog

Marshal hasn't done much on Saturdays so far.  But yeah it's a very good group.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on May 21, 2014, 01:09:16 pm
IMO this years backfield of Williams, Collins, and Marshall ranks just behind the trio of McFadden, Jones, and Hillis.  Anybody think of a backfield that is better than this years?  Anyone think this trio is as good as McFadden and co?

You have to produce.  Even with Nutt coaching them, McFadden, Jones, and Hillis won a few games.  This backfield needs to do this before we start ranking them one or two.

EFBAB

The late 70s running backs have something to say about this.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Karma on May 21, 2014, 01:25:57 pm
The late 70s running backs have something to say about this.

Yeah, like Cowins and Eckwood. Or how about the mid-70s, Forte and Eckwood. I'm a huge fan of Williams and Collins—and Exit's post said it—they have to produce big numbers AND be a part of some big wins.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

PorkSoda

I think rankings should be based on pure hypothetical potential.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HeismanHawg

The Dmac, Felix and Hillis backfield is not only the best in Razorback history its one of... if not the best in college football history. Their achievements and statistics speak for themselves.

The current backfield has potential but they haven't done anything yet. We haven't even won an SEC game yet.

popcornhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 21, 2014, 01:35:19 pm

+1.

Just LOLCATZ'd all over the place.
WPS

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 21, 2014, 01:35:19 pm
You're right.  I guess u should have said "most talented". 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

redeye

James Rouse, Joe Johnson and Barry Foster were pretty good.  Not sure I'm ready to declare this backfield #2 just yet.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: redeye on May 21, 2014, 02:43:03 pm
James Rouse, Joe Johnson and Barry Foster were pretty good.  Not sure I'm ready to declare this backfield #2 just yet.

With Quinn Grovey they made that Flex bone hum!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

chitwnhog

IDK...Ben Cowins, Donnie Bobo and Roland Sales were pretty formidable.

LZH

I know one of you are gonna call me on it, but I bet I could think of 8, maybe 10, better Razorback backfields than this one...............understand that I mean so far.

Jek Tono Porkins

Well obviously we're going to have to see how they produce on the field. But this group definitely has some HUGE potential. I've got faith. Bielema very nearly had three 1,000 yard rushers one year at Wisconsin. Collins is a great all-purpose back, Williams will mow you over, and I don't think I've ever seen a player with the acceleration of Korliss Marshall. Marshall only had like 17 carries last year but when he touched the ball, you could definitely tell who it was.

If BA can get his completion percentage up and make better decisions and the receivers can catch the ball, the offense is going to be set.

Defense is another story but I've got faith that the offense will be much improved this year...no reason we can't go bowling.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

BrassNunchucks

I kind of agree with the earlier commenter who downplayed this year's backfield. JWill and Collins are definitely good backs, but have either showed anything other than that? Yeldon and Henry on Bama, Gurley on UGA, Mike Davis at USC-E, arguably Hilliard at LSU, all are better than anyone on Arkansas.

I think it's a nice mix we've got, but to me Collins and Williams to this point have merely shown to be very good, solid college running backs, certainly not game breakers. Of the three only Marshall has that wow factor that can break a defense, so we'll see how he develops.

And there's no way they compare to the DMac, Felix and Hillis backfield. Dmac and Felix could each turn a game on its head by themselves, and Hillis was on the cover of Madden, for goodness sake.

Junkyard Hog

Definitely McFadden, Jones, Hillis, along with Michael Smith rank as number 1.

The current backfield has potential but they're on down the list.

Also, don't forget about Kniles, Dennis Green, and Wingo.  All three are NFL backs.

goodguytex

The book on this group of backs has only begun to be written yet. We won't be able to truly know until after the completion of the 2015 season how they will rank compared to the others we have had.

ZERO

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on May 21, 2014, 04:30:28 pm
Definitely McFadden, Jones, Hillis, along with Michael Smith rank as number 1.

The current backfield has potential but they're on down the list.

Also, don't forget about Kniles, Dennis Green, and Wingo.  All three are NFL backs.

Dennis Johnson?
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

goodguytex

Quote from: ZERO on May 21, 2014, 06:38:27 pm
Dennis Johnson?
Yeah, I started to ask if the former nfl head coach had gone back to college as a RB and I just didn't hear about it. He'd be kind of old and out of shape if he did too.

hawkhawg

Had fred talley, Cedric Cobbs, mark pierce, plus had Matt jones at qb and deArius, Brandon Holmes, decori.

LZH

What about the backfields with Cowins, and Anderson, and Bowles, and Rouse, and E.D. Jackson, and Marius Johnson, and Chukwuma and Cobbs, and Talley, etc?  I'm sure I'm missing quite a few.

We're in good shape as far as RB's go this year.  But #2 all time?  Gimme a break.

hawkhawg

Rouse, foster, juju, e.d. Jackson and Ron Dickerson jr

hawkhawg

farmhawg

Quote from: HeismanHawg on May 21, 2014, 01:37:36 pm
The Dmac, Felix and Hillis backfield is not only the best in Razorback history its one of... if not the best in college football history. Their achievements and statistics speak for themselves.

The current backfield has potential but they haven't done anything yet. We haven't even won an SEC game yet.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

twistitup

Potentially they could be great. As of now they are nowhere near the top.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

tannerstahl

I don't think we can compare our current 3 backs to any previous backfield yet. I think they are all three awesome and I hope they take the hogs to great heights!! However, I easily remember dmac, Felix and hillis on the field all together at the same time, a literal triple threat. I can't recall jwill, Collins and korliss on the field together at all...not saying it won't happen or didn't happen, I just don't remember it if it did. Nonetheless, I think they can carry the hogs a long way, and I support them all 100%!!

GO HOGS!!!
i love the hogs....so very very much

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: ZERO on May 21, 2014, 06:38:27 pm
Dennis Johnson?

Of course it's DJ.  We played a couple of games where the announcers kept calling him Dennis Green.  It became a joke on this board for a while.  Same reason I added an s to the end of Knile.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HogFanatic

This trio will do great things. Statistically at the very least, but I also think they will help the Hogs win a lot of ball games.

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawkhawg on May 21, 2014, 07:09:20 pm
Forte, Fuchs, Eckwood, cowins

2014 has a long way to go to match that group.  Forte and Cowins put up some of the greatest seasons in our history, and Eckwood was leading the nation in rushing (I think) when he went down with a catastrophic injury.