Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dayton coming to Fayetteville next season

Started by Hawg Red, May 21, 2014, 12:15:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

QuoteJon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 3m

Dayton + Arkansas will start a home + home series beginning next year in Fayetteville, source told @CBSSports. Return game in Ohio in 15-16.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein

Huge non-con opponent. Big road game in '15-'16.

WizardofhOgZ

Good find.  Thanks for sharing.

That's a quality opponent coming in, along with the 3 road games we know about.  Solid schedule taking shape.

The Hogfather

Might we be a better team, but worse record? 

Still would probably be enough to get us in the NCAAT.  Apparently, the NCAAT selection committee would rather you play a very tough schedule, lose to all the good teams you play, and end up at 2 games over .500, than play a decent schedule, win more games against good teams than you lose, and end up 9-10 games over .500.  Seems stupid to me, but I guess that's the game we have to play (as well as schedule the 255th worst team in the nation, instead of the 355th, because it isn't as bad for our RPI for some reason).

Jborohog09

Great news.  Will be the first meeting since this game in the 1990 tournament:

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The Hogfather on May 21, 2014, 12:43:07 pm
Might we be a better team, but worse record? 

Still would probably be enough to get us in the NCAAT.  Apparently, the NCAAT selection committee would rather you play a very tough schedule, lose to all the good teams you play, and end up at 2 games over .500, than play a decent schedule, win more games against good teams than you lose, and end up 9-10 games over .500.  Seems stupid to me, but I guess that's the game we have to play (as well as schedule the 255th worst team in the nation, instead of the 355th, because it isn't as bad for our RPI for some reason).

As long as RPI remains a major cog in the postseason wheel, NCSoS will be a big deal. Our NCSoS wouldn't have to receive so much attention if the rest of the SEC (UK & Florida aside) would help raise the SEC from being the 6th or 7th strongest conference (RPI-wise) each season. Arkansas' own NCSoS hasn't helped the cause in previous years.

Thankfully we've now got the infrastructure in place to ensure we don't end up with another joke of a NCSoS moving forward.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

North hog

I live in Cincinnati so this is great news!  Short drive..

MikePiazza

Archie Miller going to have a lot of pressure on him next year after the Elite Eight appearance.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

The_Iceman

razorhead94

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 21, 2014, 01:00:33 pm
As long as RPI remains a major cog in the postseason wheel, NCSoS will be a big deal. Our NCSoS wouldn't have to receive so much attention if the rest of the SEC (UK & Florida aside) would help raise the SEC from being the 6th or 7th strongest conference (RPI-wise) each season. Arkansas' own NCSoS hasn't helped the cause in previous years.

Thankfully we've now got the infrastructure in place to ensure we don't end up with another joke of a NCSoS moving forward.

This.  It's all about RPI.  Great game to add
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 21, 2014, 12:15:47 pm
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein

Huge non-con opponent. Big road game in '15-'16.

Gotta get my tickets to that game.  I wonder how good Dayton is going to be next year, they were very solid last year.

Also, be interesting to see if the staff takes up Haith on his offer.  I'd like to see us do a home/home with Tulsa starting in Fayetteville this year.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: -Blu on May 21, 2014, 03:37:47 pm
Also, be interesting to see if the staff takes up Haith on his offer.  I'd like to see us do a home/home with Tulsa starting in Fayetteville this year.

Make that a 2 for 1, Fayetteville to Tulsa deal and I'm right there with you.

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 21, 2014, 01:00:33 pm

Agree totally. I would also like to see us schedule a D2 team or two in place of any traditional 250+ RPI or higher teams simply because the NCAAt selection committee throws those games out instead of allowing those bad cupcakes to drag down our Non Conf SOS.

I think the SEC and especially Arkansas are finally waking up to this fact. Finally.

rusvegashog

I'm loving these ooc games we've got next year. Dayton's a very good program. Couple years ago Ohio had like 6 schools in the big dance if memory serves me correctly.

hawgmasta

This is an awesome matchup. They play good basketball; with out tough road games I'm glad we get these guys at home first.

JayBell

Huge?  It's a solid non-conference game, but I don't see it being some big matchup.  Dayton made a run to the Elite 8, but they started out as an 11-seed.  They were one of just two teams to win a game in the NCAAT from the overrated A-10.  They could just as easily be a team that has to scrap for the NIT next season.

It is another good, not great, addition to the schedule.  But those types of games are essential to improving Arkansas' RPI and tournament resume from now on.

There shouldn't be too much criticism of the schedule next year when you have road games against Iowa State, Clemson and SMU, as well as a home game against Dayton.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: JayBell on May 22, 2014, 09:29:22 am
Huge?  It's a solid non-conference game, but I don't see it being some big matchup.  Dayton made a run to the Elite 8, but they started out as an 11-seed.  They were one of just two teams to win a game in the NCAAT from the overrated A-10.  They could just as easily be a team that has to scrap for the NIT next season.

It is another good, not great, addition to the schedule.  But those types of games are essential to improving Arkansas' RPI and tournament resume from now on.

There shouldn't be too much criticism of the schedule next year when you have road games against Iowa State, Clemson and SMU, as well as a home game against Dayton.

Isn't that type of schedule similar to last year's?  Minnesota, California, SMU, Clemson, Gonzaga. 

The key is to get rid of the Gramblings and Alcorn States that destroy RPI.  Oh, and actually win a couple of the "big name" games.   

Hawg Red

Quote from: JayBell on May 22, 2014, 09:29:22 am

Maybe "huge" is a stretch, but it's a very good addition to the schedule. Resume builder. You know what I meant.

Also, Dayton won 10 of 12 going into the NCAA tournament, so it's far to say they were playing like a top 25 program at the end of the college basketball season.

JayBell

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on May 22, 2014, 09:33:21 amIsn't that type of schedule similar to last year's?  Minnesota, California, SMU, Clemson, Gonzaga. 

The key is to get rid of the Gramblings and Alcorn States that destroy RPI.  Oh, and actually win a couple of the "big name" games.

It's the "road" aspect of the games that are key.  The selection committee showed no respect this year for early season, neutral-court games.

And last year was weird.  All of Arkansas' key resume games came against NIT teams.  They had to set some kind of record for the amount of NIT opponents in one season.  If a couple of next year's opponents like Iowa State and Clemson can make it to the tournament next season, it will be great for Arkansas' resume.  That said, cutting out the lowly teams with abysmal rankings is also key to building up the team's RPI.

JayBell

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 22, 2014, 09:36:59 amMaybe "huge" is a stretch, but it's a very good addition to the schedule. Resume builder. You know what I meant.

Also, Dayton won 10 of 12 going into the NCAA tournament, so it's far to say they were playing like a top 25 program at the end of the college basketball season.

Agreed.

razorhead94

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on May 22, 2014, 09:33:21 am
Isn't that type of schedule similar to last year's?  Minnesota, California, SMU, Clemson, Gonzaga. 

They are similar except Iowa St, SMU, and Clemson will all be on the road vs being neutral court games.  But you are dead on as far as avoiding the +300 RPI games/teams.  Arkansas had a copious 6 games against them last year.  Killed the SOS/RPI even though they won.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

The Hogfather

Quote from: razorhead94 on May 22, 2014, 03:01:55 pm
Killed the SOS/RPI even though they won.

Which is fricking stupid.  They need to change the system.

onebadrubi

Quote from: razorhead94 on May 22, 2014, 03:01:55 pm
They are similar except Iowa St, SMU, and Clemson will all be on the road vs being neutral court games.  But you are dead on as far as avoiding the +300 RPI games/teams.  Arkansas had a copious 6 games against them last year.  Killed the SOS/RPI even though they won.

If those 300+ RPI games were against top 175+ we probably would have been in.  We know the game, just got to play it. 

mhuff

Otis

We still have 5 openings for next years schedule, so get ready for all the SWAC teams to be announced soon.

Quote from: Otis on June 02, 2014, 06:09:12 pm
We still have 5 openings for next years schedule, so get ready for all the SWAC teams to be announced soon.
Hope not.

Hawg Red

It has been announced that this game with be played on December 13th and will be broadcast on ESPN2.

QuoteRazorback Basketball ‏@RazorbackMBB 5m

The Razorbacks' Saturday, Dec. 13 home game vs. @DaytonMBB at Bud Walton Arena will be televised on ESPN2! #Fastest40

HF#1

Nice, lets hope Dayton doesn't go in the crapper
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawg Red

Quote from: HF#1 on August 14, 2014, 11:08:26 am
Nice, lets hope Dayton doesn't go in the crapper

They probably don't head back to the Elite 8, and might not even make the Dance, but I imagine they're NIT-quality at worst. Well-coached and their best player returns. It won't be easy for us and will help our RPI.