Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tight End U!

Started by JIHawg, May 21, 2014, 12:04:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

The UA marketing department might consider getting ahead of the curve for once on this one.  Arkansas has a tradition of tight ends.  Seems like Nutt had a good one from Springdale, and then there was Peters, who went on, after converting to tackle, to attend several Pro Bowls.

Bielema has at least six in the NFL who played for him.  That's more than the next NCAA coach by five. 

The three tight end set offense could use some promoting.  We have possibly the best tight end in the country right now in Hunter Henry. Bielema actually uses tight ends in his offense.

There are three or four tight ends on the Hogs radar right now, a couple of instate four stars we need and want, and there's one in Oklahoma already committed. 

The timing just seems right for a marketing department promotion-Tight End U.

go hogues

"UA Marketing Department" and "Ahead of the curve" are seldom seen in the same sentence.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JIHawg on May 21, 2014, 12:04:18 am
The UA marketing department might consider getting ahead of the curve for once on this one.  Arkansas has a tradition of tight ends.  Seems like Nutt had a good one from Springdale, and then there was Peters, who went on, after converting to tackle, to attend several Pro Bowls.

Bielema has at least six in the NFL who played for him.  That's more than the next NCAA coach by five. 

The three tight end set offense could use some promoting.  We have possibly the best tight end in the country right now in Hunter Henry. Bielema actually uses tight ends in his offense.

There are three or four tight ends on the Hogs radar right now, a couple of instate four stars we need and want, and there's one in Oklahoma already committed. 

Good point. Wisconsin has been a leader in producing NFL TE Draftees since 1998 with 6, though they aren't the only ones. Oregon, Georgia and Florida have also produced 6 each over that same period of time. Arkansas has produced 2 during that time.

But you are right, it looks as if Arkansas could become the new "TE University" with the multiple TE sets and the talent we are signing at that position.

We might also become the new "O-Line University" as well if Bielema's emphasis at Wisconsin carries over to Arkansas. Over the last 17 years Wisconsin has produced 18 drafted O-Linemen and with the recruiting we have already witnessed at those positions, coupled with the coaching of Pittman, that appears to be another strongsuit for Arkansas in the future.
Go Hogs Go!

icouldntthinkofagoodname

marketing department u

SamBuckhart

Center of Attention also with all the top centers recently. #1 signed for next year too.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

JansterZ71

Notee Dame & Miami have good claims to this right as well.
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JansterZ71 on May 22, 2014, 07:02:39 pm
Notee Dame & Miami have good claims to this right as well.

You are right, ND has produced 7, Miami 6 since 1998, still we are potentially, in stellar company.
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

How could you leave DJ Williams out of the mix?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogwild

Quote from: JIHawg on May 21, 2014, 12:04:18 am

I like the idea but the timing isn't right. That's putting the cart ahead of the horse.  You can't claim TE U because the head coach while at Wisconsin put the most TE in the NFL.  That makes Wisconsin TE U, not us.  While we have a TE who had a great Freshman season, those other guys aren't on campus yet.

You run that promotion they every recruiting coordinator with multiple NFL TEs sends a flyer to those recruits saying Tight END U ??? and under listing every TE that school has in the NFL next to our list of one. 

I think that might be something we can do in a few years.

Carl Lazlo

Pancake Derby
Fly Sprinkle
Cheese Henry
Don't forget about me Voelzke
And last but not least Am I playing defense Loewen

hawgbawb

This thread title belongs in the Tavern
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Soonerman12

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 22, 2014, 07:12:19 pm
You are right, ND has produced 7, Miami 6 since 1998, still we are potentially, in stellar company.

Miami, ND, OU, USC and Arkansas have produced the most, correct?

MuskogeeHogFan

May 23, 2014, 05:27:24 am #12 Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:05:20 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Soonerman12 on May 23, 2014, 01:11:35 am
Miami, ND, OU, USC and Arkansas have produced the most, correct?

A recount showed that since 1998 Miami has produced 8 and Notre Dame has produced 9. Arkansas has produced 2, Oregon, Georgia, Florida and Wisconsin 6, USC 4 and Michigan, Stanford and Oklahoma 5.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawg_Thai'd

I'm sorry, but if D.J. and Chris are the only two TE we have produced, that is downright depressing. Not to take anything away from those two fine men. Love them dudes! But we should have more than that considering how recent that has been.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on May 23, 2014, 06:19:52 am
I'm sorry, but if D.J. and Chris are the only two TE we have produced, that is downright depressing. Not to take anything away from those two fine men. Love them dudes! But we should have more than that considering how recent that has been.

It's not just TE's. Look at the excellent RB's that we have had, and we have had 7 drafted since 1998. But then you compare with LSU-13, USC-11, Ohio State and Auburn-10 each.

And the list goes on. At QB we have produced 2 that were drafted since 1998, and those two were recent. USC has had 6, Ohio State, Oregon, Georgia, LSU and Michigan had 5 each. Texas, Texas A&M, Florida State and Stanford have had 4 each. I had to snicker a little bit because S. Carolina has produced 0 in that time.

The biggest difference is found in the Secondary. We have had 10 drafted since 1998. Ohio State has had 36, Florida 31, USC and Georgia 30 each, Florida State 28, Oklahoma and Alabama 26 each, and the list goes on and on.

To demonstrate how long it has been since we have had a high level of play in the Secondary, here is a trivia question for you: Who were the last 4 DB's that we had drafted and in which years?

Answer: Chris Houston-2007, Vickiel Vaughn-2006, Ahmad Carroll and Tony Bua-2005. So it has been since the 2006 football season that we produced a single DB that was good enough to be drafted. 7 seasons and counting.

Meanwhile, Alabama has produced 9 since 2010. There's some perspective.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2014, 06:43:56 am

The biggest difference is found in the Secondary. We have had 10 drafted since 1998. Ohio State has had 36, Florida 31, USC and Georgia 30 each, Florida State 28, Oklahoma and Alabama 26 each, and the list goes on and on.

Wow! didn't realize the #'s were that lopsided. When I get a chance one day I am going to look back at the players we had that got a chance in the NFL and compare that to a few select teams just to see what it looks like on paper.
OK, we have had 7 RB's drafted since '98 and 3 of those were in one year. Amazing!

Hogwild

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2014, 06:43:56 am

To demonstrate how long it has been since we have had a high level of play in the Secondary, here is a trivia question for you: Who were the last 4 DB's that we had drafted and in which years?

Was reading the ESPN article on the 'Game of the Century' between Bama & LSU in November of 2011, 42 players that were on the field were drafted.

LSU had 6 DBs drafted in the '11 & '12 drafts alone.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Hogwild on May 23, 2014, 08:52:22 am
Was reading the ESPN article on the 'Game of the Century' between Bama & LSU in November of 2011, 42 players that were on the field were drafted.

LSU had 6 DBs drafted in the '11 & '12 drafts alone.

42 players. Wow. That is why we are like 2-8 against both of those teams that last 10 games we have played.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 21, 2014, 06:08:35 am
Good point. Wisconsin has been a leader in producing NFL TE Draftees since 1998 with 6, though they aren't the only ones. Oregon, Georgia and Florida have also produced 6 each over that same period of time. Arkansas has produced 2 during that time.

But you are right, it looks as if Arkansas could become the new "TE University" with the multiple TE sets and the talent we are signing at that position.

We might also become the new "O-Line University" as well if Bielema's emphasis at Wisconsin carries over to Arkansas. Over the last 17 years Wisconsin has produced 18 drafted O-Linemen and with the recruiting we have already witnessed at those positions, coupled with the coaching of Pittman, that appears to be another strongsuit for Arkansas in the future.

Nailed it.. +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on May 23, 2014, 07:13:30 am
Wow! didn't realize the #'s were that lopsided. When I get a chance one day I am going to look back at the players we had that got a chance in the NFL and compare that to a few select teams just to see what it looks like on paper.
OK, we have had 7 RB's drafted since '98 and 3 of those were in one year. Amazing!

You can see why those teams I mentioned have had tremendous success. There are certainly times that great coaching and scheming play a major role, but it really helps if you have a lot of recruited talent to execute those schemes. Our current staff is recruiting better (or at least they appear to be) than any staff we have had here since JFB. That makes me optimistic about the future. Talent will at least give you more of a chance, more often.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

I agree that Arkansas COULD become a top producer of NFL TE's but we have not as of yet.  When comparing, one should also look at in which round they were drafted and what they ended up doing.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 23, 2014, 05:23:54 pm
I agree that Arkansas COULD become a top producer of NFL TE's but we have not as of yet.  When comparing, one should also look at in which round they were drafted and what they ended up doing.

Keep in mind that where a player at a certain position is selected in the draft is not only a function of how well they performed in college and Combines, but also the individual needs and goals of NFL teams to fulfill their projected needs in a certain order. Point being, it isn't all on the player and their perceived level of value.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 23, 2014, 05:30:16 pm
Keep in mind that where a player at a certain position is selected in the draft is not only a function of how well they performed in college and Combines, but also the individual needs and goals of NFL teams to fulfill their projected needs in a certain order. Point being, it isn't all on the player and their perceived level of value.
Yeah, if we are going to be TE U, it is because we are pumping out TE's in the draft with a few being either top picks or successful in the NFL.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

LZH

Petrino was good at finding ways to get the TE the ball.  But isn't it odd that you don't see more offenses these days use the TE more?  I mean, I know Henry is a fine athlete and all, but he was wide freekin open more often than not last year.  What gives?  Do defenses still not pay any attention to TE's?

Hoggish1

Quote from: go hogues on May 21, 2014, 12:10:49 am
"UA Marketing Department" and "Ahead of the curve" are seldom seen in the same sentence.

UA and Marketing are seldon seen in the same sentence, oh wait, I forgot about the You of A...

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: LZH on May 23, 2014, 06:10:40 pm
Petrino was good at finding ways to get the TE the ball.  But isn't it odd that you don't see more offenses these days use the TE more?  I mean, I know Henry is a fine athlete and all, but he was wide freekin open more often than not last year.  What gives?  Do defenses still not pay any attention to TE's?

Not really not paying attention.  TEs are usually 6'3 to 6'6 and about 230 to 250 that can run pretty fast.  It's not easy to defend that. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

LZH

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 23, 2014, 09:34:09 pm
Not really not paying attention.  TEs are usually 6'3 to 6'6 and about 230 to 250 that can run pretty fast.  It's not easy to defend that. 

Then why aren't there more TE's with 75 receptions?  Yeah, they're big and kinda fast, but most OLB's and safeties can cover them, no problem.  There always seems to be a hole that the TE sits in and you don't see them utilized like you'd think.

This sort of came from a conversation I had with a buddy of mine this week about HH and how he always seems to be open.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: LZH on May 23, 2014, 09:42:58 pm
Then why aren't there more TE's with 75 receptions?  Yeah, they're big and kinda fast, but most OLB's and safeties can cover them, no problem.  There always seems to be a hole that the TE sits in and you don't see them utilized like you'd think.

This sort of came from a conversation I had with a buddy of mine this week about HH and how he always seems to be open.

Because a lot of them go to basketball.  Also not all coaches are smart enough to use them more often. 

yraciv

Are we counting Jason Peters, TE here, because I'm not sure Chris Gragg & DJ Williams is really enough to lay claim to that.  Even with Henry coming up, lot's of catching up to get to Miami. They have the best TE in the game, Jimmy Graham, Jeremy Shockey, Kellen Winslow, Greg Olson, and that is just off the top of my head.  Heck the NFL even started recruiting off their basketball team this offseason to find a TE.

We really got a better claim on RB U, although I know we're not the best there.  We've consistently put RB in the league for years though, although they have only had moderate success.

LZH

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 23, 2014, 10:08:12 pm
Because a lot of them go to basketball.  Also not all coaches are smart enough to use them more often. 

Could be.

But think about it.  You've got a guy who puts his hand on the ground and blocks damn-near every play.  I understand what the OP is saying (I think).  Three point stance, chip or pick, then go get the LB......then what?  It seems like there's a seam play for the TE every other 2nd and 7 or 3rd and 3 if you ask me.

Big Nasty 34

I remember the whole "WR U" thread a couple years ago.

That turned out real well :/

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 23, 2014, 11:27:30 pm
I remember the whole "WR U" thread a couple years ago.

That turned out real well :/

Well didn't 4 of the WRs that BP recruited get drafted?

MFG

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 23, 2014, 11:36:53 pm
Well didn't 4 of the WRs that BP recruited get drafted?

Not trying to be a debbie downer but I will get flamed.

1 out of the 4 have actually contributed to a team.
None of our TEs that have been drafted have made an impact in the NFL.

yraciv

Quote from: MFG on May 23, 2014, 11:41:32 pm

Yeah people getting over their heads.  There are programs that have good runs on position all the time, and a lot of those programs have elite players leading the charge. Again, our best claim to that is RB.  We had 1 great year out of Hillis and McFadden is consistently good when he isn't hurt...but he is always hurt.  Without researching it too much, I do know there are some schools out there that have more of a claim to that than us.

HiggiePiggy

May be true, but still is a fact that 4 WRs were drafted.  It's on the players to work harder when they get to the nfl. 

twistitup

RB U prob more accurate
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on May 24, 2014, 05:02:23 am
RB U prob more accurate

Probably, and as much as I love the Hogs, I'm not sure we can call ourselves, "QB, WR, TE, RB or anything, U".

Over the last 16 years of the NFL Draft here are the leaders at various positions and the number of draft choices that they have produced, compared to Arkansas.

QB: USC-6, Arkansas-2
RB: LSU-13, Arkansas-7
WR: USC-15, Arkansas-8
TE: Notre Dame-9, Arkansas-2
Center: Wisconsin-5, Arkansas-2
OG: Wisconsin-6, Arkansas-4
OT: Florida State-9, Arkansas-4

DE: LSU-12, Arkansas-7
DT: LSU-12, Arkansas-3
LB: Ohio State-17, Arkansas-3
DB: Ohio State-36, Arkansas-10

Better evaluation, recruiting and signing is an absolute must if we hope to have any chance of competing consistently in the SEC.
Go Hogs Go!

The Boar War

Until we start dedicating some time to finding recruits of a certain position, developing those recruits, basing our game plan on this position, and putting these players in the NFL, I'm thinking we should go with a more obscure position.

We could be Place Holder U.  Dowell Loggains could be our poster boy.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Boar War on May 24, 2014, 08:10:31 am
Until we start dedicating some time to finding recruits of a certain position, developing those recruits, basing our game plan on this position, and putting these players in the NFL, I'm thinking we should go with a more obscure position.

We could be Place Holder U.  Dowell Loggains could be our poster boy.

Not sure we need to go that far. ;) But we do need to recruit better.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

May 24, 2014, 09:46:19 am #39 Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 10:15:15 am by Pork Twain

You are correct.  I just find it hard to get too excited about the production of Arkansas' players drafted since I started watching in the 80's.  Nothing worse than comparing out late round picks to those early picks from other teams.  5 picks in the draft and 5 picks in the draft, are not equal.

I have paid attention to Arkansas football since about 1963 and during that time, our best opportunity to lay claim to anything in football might be at place kicker.  We have had strong kickers who could put it deep and make field goals to a reasonable standard for roughly 50 percent of the past 50 years.  We've had our share of just average to below average too but our kickers might exceed any other University overall abilities and performance during that time period.