Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Agree with Pete Roussel?

Started by WilsonHog, May 20, 2014, 09:35:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Harris

If a coach is winning 10+ games a year it won't matter.  All the fans will like him.

If they are in the 8-9 win range they better be able to relate with the fans and do good on the politician trail (think HDN in his middle years).

If you average 7 or less wins a year in a conference like the SEC no one will care for you after a few years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Kig on May 21, 2014, 12:52:21 pm
Dang.... that's a bunch of parts.  I do believe that you are onto something though.  The challenge becomes finding someone that has balance between these things. 

Some are better talent evaluators, but don't have the CEO quality (Les Miles).  Some are unbalanced in the hard ass department and can't do the glad handing or public speaking thing. 

The reason that these are realistic expectations is the amount of money that is paid out at the highest level to be a HC at a major school. 

The most successful modern day HC's, IMO, have all or most all of these "parts". Look at Barry Swtizer, he was a pretty good example of these things. Gus Malzahn? Maybe he does too. Saban probably behaves around major donors, but appears to have an "edgy" persona publicly. Bob Stoops at Oklahoma seems the same way. But both of those two have won enough on a consistent basis that they probably get cut some slack on a couple of those items on that list.

But how does Bielema, BP, HDN, Danny Ford, Hatfield, Holtz and Broyles stack up in terms of this list of characteristics?
Go Hogs Go!

jesterzzn

Fit isn't underrated, nor is it overrated.  Fit is obsolete.  Internet culture killed it and once the 25 and under crowd grow up a bit and get some money in their pockets, watch out.  Patience?  Webster might as well drop it from the lexicon.

The Divine Swine

Quote from: code red on May 20, 2014, 09:39:16 am
No...CP just won....in reality....with the money fans and booster are shelling out they want to see a winner.

speak for yourself. I loved winning no doubt and I loved BP.  Problem is when I found out he put his depravity and selfish desires above the needs of the program and he shirked the responsiblity that he was being paid nearly $4 million per year to be a pillar of strength and character for our young athletes i was done with him. If someone says they want to win regardless of the cost i question their character. Character is still important to some and it should be.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Piggfoot on May 20, 2014, 11:01:38 am
Petrino's demise was comparable to the sudden and tragic death of a new exciting, beautiful girlfriend. He will for ever be beautiful and infallible in the eyes of his fans. Of course they would not believe he would ever dump them or drive a stake in their heart.
And even if he did in the end he would return  and take Arkansas and them to heights previously unknown. I get a little teary eyed thinking about it.  Not!!

That's funny because we might see that at Louisville.   He took them to heights they had never seen before then left them and now he is back.  We shall see how that goes there. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on May 20, 2014, 01:52:20 pm
This is the problem right here.  Why is someone a hater, just because they express a certain opinion?  I don't hate BP, I never met him.  But I can look at things like what was lost from the 2011 team and see 2012 was NOT a top 10 team, was t best probably 8-4, IF BP had coached them. 

I can look at the same things and I was looking for 2013 to be a down year and I was looking at 2014 as being a upward swing.  I thought with BP 2013 would have been 7 or 8 because we were losing a lot of experience on the offensive side of the ball and breaking in a new QB,  I though 2014 would have been 8 to 10 and 2015 this year would have been 9 to 11 with BP.   

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: The Divine Swine on May 24, 2014, 12:29:58 pm
speak for yourself. I loved winning no doubt and I loved BP.  Problem is when I found out he put his depravity and selfish desires above the needs of the program and he shirked the responsiblity that he was being paid nearly $4 million per year to be a pillar of strength and character for our young athletes i was done with him. If someone says they want to win regardless of the cost i question their character. Character is still important to some and it should be.

Most fans enjoy winning.  It gives them something to look forward to on the weekends.  People watch sports for entertainment.  It isn't entertaining watching crap.  Just look at the basketball program and how long it is taking for the basketball court to get back to a full house like it was in the 90s.  People do not care about a coach that sucks or is mediocre.  Fans don't want to waste money on mediocre or worse product.  It doesn't change who they are as a person when they are not watching sports.   

I don't care how we win.  That doesn't mean I myself is going to cheat and lie or steal to get ahead in my job.  I do want to see my teams be great and really don't care how they do it because how they do it doesn't effect my life if they are caught.  What it does do is give me great entertainment for as long as they are not caught.  If we can do it by not cheating then great.  I really don't care how we become a great program. 

lefty08

Since when is supporting your team wasting money regardless of how good or bad they are?  I keep seeing this and i cant understand it. Either you can afford to support them or you cant, and believe me i can understand it if you cant. But this whole wasting of money thing makes me feel sick. Just be a fan and support them. Those kids deserve that regardless of their 40 time or their intelligence, they are still hogs and deserve support
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

bruisemeister

I never thought Petrino was an a-hole when he was our coach.  I never really heard many, if any, other fans talking about it, either. 

I heard it. My nephew attended football camp at UA then. The word on BP was that he was an A######. It didn't matter. We were winning. I hear Coach Saban is a big A###### as well. Same for Steve Spurrier. Love to have them both.

WilsonHog

Quote from: lefty08 on May 24, 2014, 06:36:48 pm
Since when is supporting your team wasting money regardless of how good or bad they are?  I keep seeing this and i cant understand it. Either you can afford to support them or you cant, and believe me i can understand it if you cant. But this whole wasting of money thing makes me feel sick. Just be a fan and support them. Those kids deserve that regardless of their 40 time or their intelligence, they are still hogs and deserve support

I've never understood that argument either.

Then again, I've never been of the mindset that I am a Razorback fan only when we win.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 24, 2014, 01:05:12 pm
Most fans enjoy winning.  It gives them something to look forward to on the weekends.  People watch sports for entertainment.  It isn't entertaining watching crap.  Just look at the basketball program and how long it is taking for the basketball court to get back to a full house like it was in the 90s.  People do not care about a coach that sucks or is mediocre.  Fans don't want to waste money on mediocre or worse product.  It doesn't change who they are as a person when they are not watching sports.   

I don't care how we win.  That doesn't mean I myself is going to cheat and lie or steal to get ahead in my job.  I do want to see my teams be great and really don't care how they do it because how they do it doesn't effect my life if they are caught.  What it does do is give me great entertainment for as long as they are not caught.  If we can do it by not cheating then great. I really don't care how we become a great program.

I think this depends upon what kind of fan you are. If you are an alum where your credentials matter then "how" they win is important. I sure as heck don't want to explain to colleagues and clients about the accepted cheating that goes on at my school. People like to pigeon hole things, so if the football team is cheating then the school must accept cheating. If the school accepts cheating then you must accept cheating as an alum.

So it is not as simple for alumni. At least in my opinion it is not.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

WilsonHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 25, 2014, 07:40:31 am
I think this depends upon what kind of fan you are. If you are an alum where your credentials matter then "how" they win is important. I sure as heck don't want to explain to colleagues and clients about the cheating that goes on at my school. People like to pigeon hole things, so if the football team is cheating then the school must accept cheating. If the school accepts cheating then you must accept cheating as an alum.

So it is not as simple for alumni. At least in my opinion it is not.

For me, it's not really a matter of credentials as much as it is pride in my alma mater. I wouldn't want shame or disappointment to be the first emotions that came to mind when I thought about UA.

870hogfan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 24, 2014, 01:05:12 pm

I don't care how we win.  That doesn't mean I myself is going to cheat and lie or steal to get ahead in my job.  I do want to see my teams be great and really don't care how they do it because how they do it doesn't effect my life if they are caught.  What it does do is give me great entertainment for as long as they are not caught.  If we can do it by not cheating then great.  I really don't care how we become a great program.

Can you not just support the kids that work their tail off in practice and put their body on the line for us so call fans?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 25, 2014, 07:58:19 am
For me, it's not really a matter of credentials as much as it is pride in my alma mater. I wouldn't want shame or disappointment to be the first emotions that came to mind when I thought about UA.

Good point. I want to be sure no one takes my alumni posts as meaning if you aren't an alum then you aren't a fan. I have a lot of rabid Hog fans in my family and they aren't alums. And they also care how we win and wouldn't accept cheating to win.

Most Arkansans are hard working "do it the right way" people. I think they would have a hard time with cheating as well. Of course I do get into trouble when I start thinking.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: 870hogfan on May 25, 2014, 08:04:04 am

Can you not just support the kids that work their tail off in practice and put their body on the line for us so call fans?

I believe they are supported plenty by their parents and the free education given to them.  I will never meet any of them and many of them will go on to have great careers. 

If they are looking for support from fans then they should win because fans will turn on everyone in a program when the team sucks.   Heck look at all the people in hogville that bash the players, but give blind support to a staff that hasn't proven anything in the sec, but hey they get a pass while many of the guys here that "support" the program bash the players.

lefty08

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 25, 2014, 09:42:53 am
I believe they are supported plenty by their parents and the free education given to them.  I will never meet any of them and many of them will go on to have great careers. 

If they are looking for support from fans then they should win because fans will turn on everyone in a program when the team sucks.   Heck look at all the people in hogville that bash the players, but give blind support to a staff that hasn't proven anything in the sec, but hey they get a pass while many of the guys here that "support" the program bash the players.

have u witnessed any of the players not trying to win?
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 25, 2014, 09:42:53 am

So are you saying you are not supporting the players because we are not winning?

The formula for winning is complex needing talented players equal to competition, coaches capable of teaching and making adjustments, ball bouncing your way from time to time, players being capable of executing the play while under stress, etc...

So even if the players are doing their best they may not win, so you are saying you would NOT support them. Right?

HiggiePiggy

What I am saying is I watch sports for entertainment.  If they are not winning then it is not entertaining.  Hogs are my favorite team and wish they would win, but they don't. 

It is funny you guys take that part of the quote and then ignore the stuff about people on here that continue to bash the heck out of players while giving a free pass to a staff that went 3-9 last year. 

The first people I go after when the program is terrible are the coaches.   You won't find many posts or any of me bashing players on this site because yes they are kids and I know they try their hardest doesn't mean I am going to be all happy for them when we are going 3-9 or 4-8.

College football is a buisness that uses young adults to make millions of dollars for coaches and the program.  Win games you make more.  Lose games you lose more.  Majority of fans want to be entertained and feel like their favorite team had a chance to do something great every year. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 25, 2014, 10:20:38 am
What I am saying is I watch sports for entertainment.  If they are not winning then it is not entertaining.  Hogs are my favorite team and wish they would win, but they don't. 

It is funny you guys take that part of the quote and then ignore the stuff about people on here that continue to bash the heck out of players while giving a free pass to a staff that went 3-9 last year. 

The first people I go after when the program is terrible are the coaches.   You won't find many posts or any of me bashing players on this site because yes they are kids and I know they try their hardest doesn't mean I am going to be all happy for them when we are going 3-9 or 4-8.

College football is a buisness that uses young adults to make millions of dollars for coaches and the program.  Win games you make more.  Lose games you lose more.  Majority of fans want to be entertained and feel like their favorite team had a chance to do something great every year.

I don't know about "you guys" but there is a posting history by me that reflects I support CBB. I question his coaching, yet realize he needs time. I don't blindly follow him and he has to improve each year for me to continue to support his coaching. I think he will.

For the players, well BA has been bashed the most and I have not been one of them. He to has to improve if for no other reason than he will lose his starting position. Now for the WRs - I don't call them out by name as they all had the dropsies last year. This is a new year and there seems to be talent at the WR position - now.

When I say we are lacking in talent it means the players simply are not as talented as the other teams. Development can help them become as talented if they don't have God given talent. When someone says a player is not talented it doesn't mean they were bashing them. If you have a player who is 5' 11" 180lbs and runs a 4.7 40. Is it wrong to say he is not as talented as the 6' 3" 200lbs and runs a 4.2 40? Of course not.

lefty08

Maybe im in the minority of people on this site. Yes i watch football for entertainment. Yes im entertained win or lose. Yes losing doesnt affect my personal life one bit. Yes i will support my team through difficult times as well as good times

MuskogeeHogFan

That's just not realistic and it hasn't been realistic since we joined the SEC, under any HC. We'll have good years where folks like you find yourselves "entertained", and we will have lesser years where you are less entertained. So your witch hunt against Bielema, with only one year on the job and a complete change in systems and needing to recruit better players to execute that system, has a tendency to make you guys that want to get rid of him already in favor of a BP type of coach, look silly.
Go Hogs Go!