Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Coaching Carousel

Started by ucahogfan, May 19, 2014, 04:49:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

With the news of South Florida HC Lelo Prado stepping down at season's end, I felt it was time to start the carousel.  I really hope that USF makes a strong run at Godwin at Ole Miss due to his ties to the region after being Associate HC at UCF and his ability to really recruit.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/college-roundup-more-tickets-punched-usfs-prado-to-step-down/

dotnet

Yes, we just want Godwin to take a different job out of the conference.  We don't really care where...

Razrpig256

"@KendallRogersPG: And the dominoes at @AUTigerBaseball are falling as #AU has decided not to renew the contract (fire) assistant Scott Foxhall. #Auburn #SEC"

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   7h   

One prominent state of Florida assistant told me yesterday: " @USFBaseball is a potential gold mine." Tend to agree with that sentiment.

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   5h   

Another coaching change, as @LATechBSB HC Wade Simoneaux will not have his contract renewed. Was in his 12th season with #LaTech. #CUSA

ucahogfan

Quote from: Razrpig256 on May 19, 2014, 05:26:51 pm
"@KendallRogersPG: And the dominoes at @AUTigerBaseball are falling as #AU has decided not to renew the contract (fire) assistant Scott Foxhall. #Auburn #SEC"
He was a holdover from Pawlowski's staff and the only reason why I assume he was kept on was to keep top 100 players Keegan Thompson, Kevin Davis, and Anfernee Grier.

It will be interesting to see who Golloway tabs as pitching coach as his expertise is on the mound.  Maybe we see him follow in Henderson's footsteps at Kentucky and have two coaches devoted to hitting and recruiting while he handles pitching.

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   12m   

Need to be patient. TJ is a great coach RT @Dave_Matter: Missouri confirms that baseball coach Tim Jamieson will be retained for 2015 season

If Tim Jamieson does indeed get let go in the next couple of years, the Tigers would probably make Vitello one of their top targets.  He is a Mizzou grad who has established himself as one of the bright young assistants in the game and has experience both as a pitching and hitting coach as well as being a great recruiter.

ucahogfan

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt  · 20m 
I haven't officially confirmed this, but I heard the same thing this morning. Rick Jones stepping down at #Tulane: http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2014/05/tulane_baseball_coach_rick_jon_16.html ...

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt  · 17m 
Rick Jones was away from the team since March 21 for health reasons. We wish him the very best; he's a class act.

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt  · 16m 
Obviously, Jake Gautreau (the interim HC over last 2 months) and Illinois State's Mark Kingston (former Tulane asst) are logical candidates.

ucahogfan

Aaron Fitt lists some potential options to replace Rick Jones at Tulane.  It sounds like Cliff Godwin at Ole Miss will be listed as a candidate for every job opening in the Southeast until he leaves for a head coaching job.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/report-tulanes-rick-jones-set-to-step-down/

ucahogfan

East Carolina is now an open job.  Again, Ole Miss Assistant Coach Cliff Godwin is listed as a candidate.  He is an alum of ECU though.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/east-carolina-wont-bring-godwin-back/

ucahogfan

Aaron Fitt @aaronfitt     ·   2h   

Reports out of Greenville say Billy Godwin is out as East Carolina's coach. No surprise, obviously. He had some nice highs at ECU though.

Aaron Fitt @aaronfitt     ·   2h   

A few obvious candidates at ECU: Virginia assistant Kevin McMullan (former ECU assistant), UNC's Scott Forbes, Liberty's Jim Toman.

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   2h   

Two guys #ECU sources have said would be looked at: #Virginia asst Kevin McMullan, #OleMiss assistant Cliff Godwin -- if there was a change.

Additional nugget on #ECU's Billy Godwin. His contract ran out this month, so "officially" they will call it not renewing the contract.

ucahogfan

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   16h   

Great man/coach RT @SoCal_CBDaily: BREAKING: #UCRiverside HC Doug Smith is retiring after 36 years with the program:

ucahogfan

Illinois State HC Mark Kingston has been named the new HC at South Florida.  The Illinois State job is now open.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/south-florida-names-kingston-new-coach/

dotnet

That stinks.  Godwin would have been good for that job.

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 04, 2014, 01:32:40 pm
That stinks.  Godwin would have been good for that job.
I think he gets either the Tulane or ECU job.  Just hope this is the year he takes the leap.  Ole Miss will fall back once he does IMO.

dotnet

ECU and Tulane would both be pretty good jobs for him to take.  They are both in furtile recruiting areas.  He would have to wait a while for a really good situation to get a WSU type job like Butler. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 04, 2014, 02:14:05 pm
ECU and Tulane would both be pretty good jobs for him to take.  They are both in furtile recruiting areas.  He would have to wait a while for a really good situation to get a WSU type job like Butler.
Tulane made trips to Omaha in 2001 and 2005 if I remember correctly so they had a lot of momentum going for that program and then Katrina hit.

Godwin is an ECU alum so he probably has a special place for ECU in his heart and probably would really enjoy starting his HC career there.

ucahogfan

I've learned that @Auburn_Baseball HC Sunny Golloway will be back for the #Tigers in 2015. That's the end of that, it seems. #AU #Auburn

dotnet

I saw that earlier... what does that mean?

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 05, 2014, 04:42:23 pm
I saw that earlier... what does that mean?
No earthly idea.  Might have been some rumors that he was leaving.

ucahogfan

Louisiana Tech fills their HC vacancy by hiring Campbell HC Greg Goff.  Very good hire IMO.  Led Campbell to the tourney this year and was a big snub last year after winning like 50 games.

http://www.myarklamiss.com/story/d/story/la-tech-set-to-announce-campbells-greg-goff-as-hea/43821/1u9wOG4Dt0SqXSGPUA_XgA

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   10h   

Intriguing name heavily in the mix for the #Auburn assistant opening: #NCState pitching coach Tom Holliday. Would be an interesting hire.

Please let this hire happen.  He is the guy who had Rodon drop from the 1st overall pick lock to 3rd overall.

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   3m   

#NCState pitching coach Tom Holliday flew to #Auburn yesterday to meet w/ Sunny Golloway/#AU officials. Hearing he's probably the guy.

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers ‏@KendallRogersPG  · 1h 
On same day Greg Goff was introduced at #LaTech, @GoCamelsBSB hires Justin Haire, who spent the last seven seasons as an asst for #Camels.

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   31m   

#Tulane coaching news: #SaintLouis HC Darin Hendrickson interviewed with the #GreenWave today. Was a finalist for the #PSU job last year.

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   31m   

Hendrickson would be a nice get for anyone — total grinder/good coach. Hot bets are on SHSU's David Pierce at #Tulane right now.

ucahogfan

A couple of coaching carousel tidbits:

-  One of the elite jobs in the country is now open after Tim Esmay resigned as head coach at Arizona State.  It should be a highly sought after job.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/tim-esmay-resigns-at-arizona-state/

-  Tulane named the new head coach today.  It is David Pierce who had been HC at Sam Houston State.  The SHSU job is now open.  Also, UALR's HC Scott Norwood has resigned from his post.  Will be interesting to see who they target to replace him.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/tulane-names-pierce-new-coach-norwood-leaves-arkansas-little-rock/

ucahogfan

A wild card candidate for the UALR job could be Brian Walker.  He played in the Angels farm system spending some time with the Travs and could be looking to get a D-1 HC job at a very early age.  If I remember correctly, DVH is very high on him and thinks he could be the next assistant coach he hires.

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   45m   

#IllinoisState coaching search: #TAMU assistant Andy Sawyers and #OKState assistant Marty Lees are leading candidates. @REDBIRDbaseball #MVC

Really hope Lees gets the job even though Sawyers is a SEC assistant.  Ok State has seen a great uptick in recruiting since Holiday was hired and I think Lees has been a big factor in that.  Lees is one of the top assistants in the country along with Sawyers.

.@SDSUBaseball announces contract extension for HC Tony Gwynn thru 2015, also made Mark Martinez "Assoc. Head Coach" and contract thru 2017.

It sounds like Martinez will take over as head coach once Gwynn is done based on his elevated title. Did a great job this year. #Aztecs

The Aztecs have former HC experience on their staff as former Auburn HC John Pawlowski is the pitching coach.

#Tulane coach David Pierce will take Sean Allen, Phil Haig and Philip Miller to New Orleans with him. Allen turned down pop for #SHSU HC.

With the news of Allen turning down to @SHSU_Baseball, I can confirm Sac State's Reggie Christiansen, TAMU-CC's Scott Malone in the mix.

I'm a little surprised that Allen would turn down the potential to be the HC at SHSU.  He seems to be a rising name in college baseball.  He is a 2001 graduate of Houston, but has seen stops at Houston, FIU, and SHSU.  Will be interesting to see if his title is Assoc. HC at Tulane or just assistant coach.

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   53m   

Another name I expect to get into mix at @SHSU_Baseball is @CajunsBaseball hitting coach Matt Deggs. Has done a marvelous job there. #SHSU

If Deggs is hired by SHSU, it would make 3 DVH assistants who a currently HC at the D-1 level: Rob Childress, Todd Butler, and Matt Deggs.

dotnet

Deggs is who I really wanted to DVH to hire to replace Butler.

It is still weird that he up and left a&m a few years ago..

ucahogfan

ucahogfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 12, 2014, 03:32:59 pm
Deggs is who I really wanted to DVH to hire to replace Butler.

It is still weird that he up and left a&m a few years ago..
I wanted Godwin, but I think Vitello was an excellent hire when looking at what DVH wanted in Butler's replacement.  Vitello is an excellent recruiter and has connections in Texas and Missouri which are two states we recruit a lot.

Maddhog

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 13, 2014, 07:55:55 pm
This link might shed a little light on why Norwood "resigned."

Warning, there is an audio link in this article that is NSFW.

http://deadspin.com/college-baseball-coach-has-violent-profane-locker-room-1590529358?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Good Grief - How did he keep the OBU job so long with that mouth and that temper?
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

hoofer

I don't know why Allen Gum at UCA is not a hotter name. The guy is a flat out stud. For some reason UCA has not proven to be a very good stepping stone school. I thought Clint Conque did a great job while at UCA and he had to take a semi-lateral move to SFA in hopes of landing a bigger gig some day.

UCA, you may be familiar with Gum, he seems like SEC coach material one day.

ucahogfan

Quote from: hoofer on June 13, 2014, 10:03:32 pm
UCA, you may be familiar with Gum, he seems like SEC coach material one day.
Honestly, the only way that I think Gum gets hired as head coach at a big time program is to become a top assistant at a big time program in the next couple of years.  At 44, he is around the age of most of the SEC head coaches.  I think DVH, Maineiri, Henderson, Corbin, and Jamieson are the only SEC coaches over 50 and Maineiri might be the oldest at 56.

Honestly, the best option for Gum might be to go after the Ole Miss assistant coach position after Godwin leaves for a HC job.  SEC assistants tend to be highly sought after especially if they are good.  I might want to keep Gum out of the West, but that is the job I see coming open this offseason.  Maybe Butch Thompson at Mississippi State, but he is a pitching coach by trade.  I also think Gum needs to get out of Arkansas to expand his horizons after spending his entire time coaching here.

Numerous head coaches in the SEC left a head coaching job to become an assistant coach at a better program. 

John Cohen took over Northwestern State after DVH went to Nebraska and coached there from 1998-2001.  Funny thing, Cohen and Tim Jamieson were assistants at Missouri at the same time in the 90s and Jamieson was promoted to HC in 1995.  Cohen left NSU after the 2001 season to become an assistant coach at Florida.  He spent two seasons at Florida before being hired as HC at Kentucky.

Rob Childress replaced DVH as HC at Texarkana College for the 1994 season before rejoining DVH in 1995 at Northwestern State.  DVH went to D-2 Central Missouri for the 1994 season where he won the national title.

Mitch Gaspard was hired at Northwestern State after John Cohen and stayed there from 2002-2007.  He was hired as an assistant coach at Alabama in 2008 before taking over as HC in 2010.

Sunny Golloway was HC at Oral Roberts from 1996-2003 before moving back to Oklahoma as an assistant coach in 2004.  He took over as head coach at the Sooners in 2006.  He is the exception where he spent his entire coaching career in one state much like Gum has.

Tim Corbin was HC at Presbyterian College from 1988-1993 before being hired on Jack Leggett's staff at Clemson in 1994.  He was hired at Vandy in 2003.

Gary Henderson was HC at Chapman for only one year before being hired as an assistant at Pepperdine in 1994.  He was hired as HC at Kentucky in 2008 after serving on John Cohen's staff there.

Dave Serrano was HC at Cerritos College before going to Tennessee in the 90s as a pitching coach to Rod Delmonico.

Not a SEC HC, but Todd Butler was hired as HC of McNeese State after Mike Bianco went to Ole Miss and coached there from 2001-2003 before going back to Alabama and then joining DVH's staff at Arkansas.

Looking at the numbers, half of the HCs in the SEC have left a HC to become an assistant coach at a better program and have spent time coaching in multiple states (outside of Golloway).  I do think Gum is SEC material, but his path to the SEC can't come through the state of Arkansas IMO.

hoofer

that is awesome comentary uca, i had no idea that was the normal progression for college coaches in baseball. baseball as a whole, players and coaches alike, is just a much different animal, and less glamorous, as far as rising through the ranks than other major sports.

Dr. Starcs

Tony Gwynn has passed away.

ucahogfan

ucahogfan

Looks like things are getting real at UALR and more light is being shed to why Norwood "resigned."  For more info, just read the entirety of the story in the link including the documents linked at the bottom of the page:

http://ualr.edu/www/2014/06/14/memo-baseball/

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   1h   

.@SHSU_Baseball will interview Matt Deggs (#ULL), Jeremy Fikac (#TXST), Scott Malone (#TAMUCC), Mike Steele and Mike Taylor (#Houston) #SHSU

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   57m   

I really like that list of finalists for #SHSU. All very intriguing. Will Bolt an interesting addition. Grew up just south of Huntsville.

Bolt is currently the Associate HC at his alma mater Nebraska.  He was a member of DVH's first recruiting class in Lincoln and has sometimes been referred to as Little DVH for his demeanor and fire for the game.  He was a captain on the two teams that DVH took to Omaha during his tenure in Lincoln.

Bolt is another coach that left a HC position to become an assistant coach at a better program.  He was the HC at Texarkana College before moving into his current position of Associate HC.  I don't know if Bolt could go on DVH's coaching tree since he was never an assistant for him, but the fact that he has been referred to as Little DVH makes me believe you can.

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   3h   

Another name to file away on @ASU_Baseball coaching search: @StanfordBSB assistant Rusty Filter. Hearing he's in the mix there. #ASU #Pac12

Also am told some influential folks at #ASU want Ray Birmingham to aim for the position. Not a given that he'll go after it, though.

Birmingham will be spending the summer on DVH's staff for Team USA.

ucahogfan

#BostonCollege assistant Scott Friedholm will be named the new head coach at #UNCAsheville. Spent four seasons at #BC. #CollegeBaseball

From talking to folks out west, sounds like @UCR_Baseball has interest in #Kentucky asst Brian Green, among a few others. Good list #BigWest

d_animal68

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 16, 2014, 05:48:17 pm

Also am told some influential folks at #ASU want Ray Birmingham to aim for the position. Not a given that he'll go after it, though.

Birmingham will be spending the summer on DVH's staff for Team USA.

I'm a big Birmingham guy for Arizona State. Grew up in SE New Mexico and am pretty familiar with the NMJC program when Birmingham was in charge.

Interesting bit, I believe DVH recruited Birmingham's son, Josh, to Nebraska after he spent time at NMJC.
"Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical" - Yogi Berra

ucahogfan

Busy day coaching-wise. In addition to scoop that #BC's Scott Friedholm is headed to #UNCA, am told #SHSU should wrap things up later in wk.

I've also confirmed Andy Sawyers (#TAMU), Reggie Christiansen (#SacState), Bo Durkac (Ill St asst) have interviewed for #IllinoisState gig.

All signs point toward @REDBIRDbaseball coming to a conclusion later this week, as well. Busy weekend ahead, it seems. #CollegeBaseball

He also tweeted out that Monte Lee will interview for the Arizona State job.  Lee is one of those young coaching stars at 37 who has a bright future.  He is at his alma mater currently at College of Charleston where he replaced John Pawlowski.  He spent 6 seasons on Ray Tanner's staff at South Carolina.  It is also an interesting candidate because he has spent his entire life in South Carolina both playing and coaching.  His ties appear to be completely on the East Coast.  I expect him to get a bigger job one day, but Arizona State is really going outside the box on this one.

rolyat_2008

Godwin will be named HC at ECU after next time Ole Miss loses imo

ucahogfan

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on June 18, 2014, 06:51:43 pm
Godwin will be named HC at ECU after next time Ole Miss loses imo
I would be shocked if he isn't the next HC at ECU.  Someone tweeted a couple of days ago and asked why ECU hadn't hired a new coach and the response was it was going to be an assistant in Omaha.  The three most logical choices IMO would be Godwin (ECU alum), Kevin McMullan (Associate HC at UVA, was named the top assistant coach in the country last year by BA when Butler as 2 and Godwin was 3, pretty sure he was an assistant coach at ECU when Godwin played there), and Karl Kuhn (pitching coach at UVA, again a highly regarded assistant who could make the leap at any time).

ucahogfan

Aaron Fitt @aaronfitt     ·   5h   

Heard that #UNC pitching coach Scott Forbes is not pursuing the #ECU job, happy where he is. Cliff Godwin or Roger Williams make good sense.

Roger Williams is the pitching coach for Louisville right now.  I really think Godwin has the upper hand and the job is his if he wants it.  I think at this point we could probably consider Scott Forbes the HC in waiting for UNC.  He is currently the Associate HC there and has been there for a long time.  Fox is about 60 now and probably only has 7-10 more years in him, but who knows.

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   36m   

#SHSU finalists include #TXST's Jeremy Fikac, #Nebraska's Will Bolt, #ULL's Matt Deggs and #TAMUCC's Scott Malone. Really like all four guys

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   35m   

Major kudos to @SHSU_Baseball athletic director Bobby Williams. Seems to really know his stuff, do due diligence, promote transparency.

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   3m   

Reggie Christiansen out of the mix at #IllinoisState -- so it's down to Bo Durkac, Andy Sawyers (#TAMU) from what I'm told. #IllinoisState

ucahogfan

Hearing #IllinoisState very likely to hire associate head coach Bo Durkac. Andy Sawyers/Reggie Christiansen were finalists @REDBIRDbaseball

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·   35m   

And right on heels of my report, @REDBIRDbaseball officially announces Bo Durkac the new head coach at #IllinoisState. Previously assoc HC