Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trickeration

Started by Southern Hogspitality, May 19, 2014, 10:52:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Southern Hogspitality

With our starting QB under center and a former QB lined up at TE and another former QB at WR what are the possibilities?  How will it affect defensive coordinators game plans. 

We might see some crazy stuff or a bunch of motion plays bluffing crazy stuff.

PorkRinds

I just wanna see football.  God ole American football.  All the trick play stuff won't help if our base offense isn't effective. 

Magic_Hogg

Gotta beat 'em somehow.  I don't care how.

#1Fan

Quote from: Southern Hogspitality on May 19, 2014, 10:52:12 am
With our starting QB under center and a former QB lined up at TE and another former QB at WR what are the possibilities?  How will it affect defensive coordinators game plans. 

It'll be tailback following fullback between the tackles with an occasional pass out to the flat to keep the defense honest.  CBB has never been one for trickeration, other than the occasional fake punt.

thefisher

Quote from: Southern Hogspitality on May 19, 2014, 10:52:12 am

I don't know about a "bunch of crazy stuff" or"bluffing crazy stuff".  However, there is no question it gives the Hogs a decided advantage in two distinct ways.

1. It is to the Hogs great advantage to have offensive players on the field that can hurt a defense in multiple ways.  A receiver screen / downfield pass becomes an option with Duwop for example.  I would not expect to see those "special" plays very much. However, maybe a half dozen times a year if the situation is right.  However, a half dozen key first downs at exactly the right time of the season can translate into an extra win or two.  It is a weapon with limited use ... but one that is a legitimate weapon and that can hurt the opponent none the less.

2. The other teams defensive coordinators are not blind to this.  They will have that knowledge well scouted.  It then forces them to spend valuable practice time on preparing for things that may or may not ever even happen.  That is a clear advantage for the Hogs. It dovetails with the idea that the defenses will have to do more thinking and mental processing on the field. That makes them play just a bit less aggressive. Again, another plus for the Hogs.

It isn't going to be any major part of game day scheming.  However, if employed at the right time and place....a few times a year....it can really help you gash the defense and make them play less physically.

Just a flashback moment along that line.  Will anyone forget small bodied Reggie Fish squatting down behind the offensive linemen and the defense couldn't see him.  Remember the handoff after the linemen cleared?  That play wouldn't work very often ... maybe just against certain teams. However, at the right time and place it was a big play for the Hogs.  We may well see some of that type creativity based on the multiple skill sets of guys on the field.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

PygmalionEffect

Teams don't try trick plays as often when they aren't confident the O-line can block for the extra time it takes to set them up....

so I hope we are able to run some trick plays with the TE or WR throwing a pass because most of the time that means the coaches are confident in controlling the line of scrimmage.

Just a gut feeling looking back on all the college football I've watched, the teams that have executed a successful trick play during a game win more times than not.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Wildhog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on May 19, 2014, 12:31:27 pm
Just a gut feeling looking back on all the college football I've watched, the teams that have executed a successful trick play during a game win more times than not.

Maybe that's Bert's philosophy?  Run trick plays until one is successful.  Then play the odds.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

His Trickeration cost us 2 games last year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Peter Porker

Quote from: #1Fan on May 19, 2014, 11:00:42 am
It'll be tailback following fullback between the tackles with an occasional pass out to the flat to keep the defense honest.  CBB has never been one for trickeration, other than the occasional fake punt.

Halfback pass.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

VT HOG

Fake punts. A lot of fake punts.