Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Track Hogs lose SEC Championships

Started by arkansastrack, May 18, 2014, 04:22:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

May 19, 2014, 02:07:40 pm #50 Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:17:45 pm by Piggfoot
Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 19, 2014, 11:12:31 am
But it does increase the chance that he knows what he's talking about which separates it from threads started by those who clearly don't.
Yes that is true also it is true that no matter how many wins  a program has there will be some who display anger and disgust when the team fails. I can understand a fan's disappointment but not disgust or anger. It makes me wonder how they handle their children and the message they convey to them if the kid does not live up to someones expectation.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Piglywigly

Quote from: arkansastrack on May 19, 2014, 01:30:52 pm
It is not success. Any letterman will tell you this. There aren't any SEC Championship banners hanging in the Tyson Center which shows what is considered success at Arkansas.

One of my favorite Coach McDonnell stories goes as follows. At one of the NCAA meets in 2003 or so (can't remember the exact year) we tied for 2nd with Florida. The NCAA only had 1 2nd place trophy and told us and Florida to decide who took it and they would have another made and sent later. Coach Mac said to let Florida have and not to bother making another as we did not want it.

In the 1990s not winning NCAAs was seen as a failure. Since 2000 not winning SECs is seen as a failure. That is the nature of the beast that is Arkansas Track.

I will say that the jumps tradition has continued since Booth was fired and Coach Case has done a good job with the sprints. It is the lack of consistency at the distance races and the lack of depth at these events that is concerning. Distance happens to be Bucknam's area.

The decline of distance running depth began before Bucknam arrived.  Remember that none of McDonnell's final 7 teams won the national title in cross country.  It is difficult to compete for distance running talent when some programs put almost all their money into distance runners (OK. State, Colorado, Wisconsin, etc.).

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 19, 2014, 01:31:42 pm
There was this Polish weightlifter that was so proud of his gold medal that he had it bronzed.

+1
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on May 19, 2014, 02:03:19 pm
Year isn't over.

So you're saying there's a chance for more of these disgusting second place finishes? Egads!  ;)

arkansastrack

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 19, 2014, 01:39:44 pm
I was wrong. Since Aub went 8-0, and we went 6-2, along with LSU going 6-2, I figured third place for UA. Forgot about the tie-breaker.

But still, does "second place in track is utter failure, while second in football is great" sound sane?
Sure it sounds sane. Your comparing a historically mediocre program to the greatest program in NCAA history. The barometers of success tend to be skittle different.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: arkansastrack on May 19, 2014, 04:23:23 pm
Sure it sounds sane. Your comparing a historically mediocre program to the greatest program in NCAA history. The barometers of success tend to be skittle different.

?

[attachment deleted by admin]