Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What should we expect once the system is in place?

Started by Jek Tono Porkins, May 17, 2014, 05:04:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LR54

Quote from: bigbadhog on May 23, 2014, 09:24:42 am
You have to be pretty bad at passing the ball to have more rushing yards than passing years 3 out of 7 years.  For example, if you throw 40% of the time which I think is reasonable, you will accumulate many more passing yards than running yards.  I watch WISC play before BB was hired and my first thought was "back to Nutt-ball" when BB was hired.  It is what it is.  The passing game will never get the focus of the running game.

That might be true if you weren't winning conference championships and going to BCS bowls. In Wisconsin's case, it just meant they had one of the nation's best running games and a balanced yardage offense. They still had over 200 ypg passing in 2 out of the 3 years when they had more rushing yards than passing yards.

They had the fewest passing yards in 2012, having to play 3 different QBs due to injuries, and with a new OC. Finished with 5506 total yards and the #2 ranked offense in the B1G, behind Nebraska. The same team they curb stomped in the B1G championship game.

hawgsalot

Quote from: bigbadhog on May 23, 2014, 09:51:47 am
His point was BB's teams are hard to watch??? :)

Yeah I bet you wouldn't trade 1 BCS bowls for 3 or No conference titles for 3?  We get it you like fancy passing trees that have to outscore everybody all the while watching your D get abused by the good teams.

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PorkRinds

The answer to this question is easy.  We should expect people to still complain like little girls unless we run a pass happy offense.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 23, 2014, 01:05:33 pm
The answer to this question is easy.  We should expect people to still complain like little girls unless we run a pass happy offense.

Actually it's more of if we win games and get back to what we were before April 2012. Most of the people want to have a winning program.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 23, 2014, 01:22:51 pm
Actually it's more of if we win games and get back to what we were before April 2012. Most of the people want to have a winning program.

I will guarantee if the Hogs go 9-3 this year, somehow, but the games are all 20-14 17-13 variety, there will be plenty of people complaining about HOW they won 9 games, not rejoicing in the fact that they won 9 games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 23, 2014, 01:05:33 pm

Not all of us.  I've never had a problem with a run-heavy offense.  I have a problem with not knowing how to use it.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2014, 01:45:23 pm
I will guarantee if the Hogs go 9-3 this year, somehow, but the games are all 20-14 17-13 variety, there will be plenty of people complaining about HOW they won 9 games, not rejoicing in the fact that they won 9 games.

Majority would be happy.  No one cares about the people that want high flying yards with us losing.

Right now a lot have good reason to complain about everything.  We went 4-8 2 years ago and 3-9 last year.  People want better results and there is a good chance they won't see that this year. 

lefty08

You have to be pretty bad at passing the ball to have more rushing yards than passing years 3 out of 7 years.  For example, if you throw 40% of the time which I think is reasonable, you will accumulate many more passing yards than running yards.  I watch WISC play before BB was hired and my first thought was "back to Nutt-ball" when BB was hired.  It is what it is.  The passing game will never get the focus of the running game.

Nor should it, you dont win consistently in the SEC passing more. It just doesnt happen. Before u mention 2 years with Petrino (which im sure u will) there is zero chance he would have sustained that success for a decade. A good running game makes it possible to sustain for a decade. Its simple to me.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: lefty08 on May 23, 2014, 10:10:38 pm
Nor should it, you dont win consistently in the SEC passing more. It just doesnt happen. Before u mention 2 years with Petrino (which im sure u will) there is zero chance he would have sustained that success for a decade. A good running game makes it possible to sustain for a decade. Its simple to me.

Petrino wasn't an all pass coach.  He was pretty balanced when it comes to pass/rushing attempts. 

870hogfan

Nm

870hogfan

It is what it is.  You will gripe at coach B no matter what he does...

lefty08

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 23, 2014, 10:18:58 pm
Petrino wasn't an all pass coach.  He was pretty balanced when it comes to pass/rushing attempts.

as is BB, thanks for agreeing with me
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

LZH

Quote from: 870hogfan on May 23, 2014, 10:25:46 pm

It is what it is.  You will gripe at coach B no matter what he does...

I'm disappointed that you haven't given me a kick in the nuts in over a week.  What's up?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on May 23, 2014, 01:45:23 pm

I think that you are right. The complaint then would be, "how boring, I'm sick of seeing that 6 yard dive play on first down".
Go Hogs Go!

Chief Mac

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 23, 2014, 10:18:58 pm

yet only had an adequate rushing attack for only 2/3 of one season he was here.  You must not remember the talk EVERY year he was here of why couldn't seem to get the running game going.  If we had been able to run the ball the early part of 2010, we would have won the Bama game.  Instead of Knile eating up the clock to keep the lead, we had Mallett throwing picks to give Bama the game.

Balance is not even number attempts.  Balance is being able to pass or run when you want to or need to. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

MuskogeeHogFan

May 24, 2014, 07:47:39 am #217 Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:05:30 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Chris McWilliams on May 24, 2014, 07:39:22 am

yet only had an adequate rushing attack for only 2/3 of one season he was here.  You must not remember the talk EVERY year he was here of why couldn't seem to get the running game going.  If we had been able to run the ball the early part of 2010, we would have won the Bama game.  Instead of Knile eating up the clock to keep the lead, we had Mallett throwing picks to give Bama the game.

Balance is not even number attempts.  Balance is being able to pass or run when you want to or need to. 

"That's something that's really important for us because I do feel that we'll have a lot of games this year that will come down to the fourth quarter. And how well you take care of the ball and how well you run it will make the difference."  Bobby Petrino

We never saw this concept come to fruition under BP.
Go Hogs Go!

Chief Mac

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 24, 2014, 07:47:39 am
"That's something that's really important for us because I do feel that we'll have a lot of games this year that will come down to the fourth quarter. And how well you take care of the ball and how well you run it will make the difference."  Bobby Petrino

We never saw this concept come to fruition under BP.

we saw it....for the last half of the 2010 season.  That was it. 

870hogfan

Quote from: LZH on May 23, 2014, 10:43:28 pm
I'm disappointed that you haven't given me a kick in the nuts in over a week.  What's up?

Going to be a long weekend.  ;D lol anyways have a good Memorial Day weekend.

LZH

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on May 24, 2014, 07:39:22 am

The point is BP certainly attempted to be balanced, but without much success.  It 'twas the same for BB last season.  Maybe we'll see success at being balanced this season.  And maybe our defense will be marginally competent.  It's one step at a time right now...or on baby step at a time.  Lots of ground to make up.  Especially with restoring talent.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on May 24, 2014, 09:13:56 am

we saw it....for the last half of the 2010 season.  That was it.
Yup, that was it. The biggest game Petrino won while he was here was the 2010 LSU game and that strategy worked, BUT the defense also showed up big and negated some mistakes by the offense and special teams.

In college football, you can only do so much. You can't have a great offense, great defense, and great special teams unless you really hit the jackpot with the talent you've signed and the coordinators you've hired. There are only a few teams throughout college football history that were able to be great in all three phases of the game...the '71 and '95 Nebraska Cornhuskers, 2001 Miami Hurricanes, and maybe the 2005 Longhorns. But that's about it. I'm sure some other people would be able to come up with a few more.

The point being, plenty of coaches can put up 40-50 points a game, but they also give up 40-50 points a game.
There's a few coaches that do the opposite; great defense but bad offense.

The best thing you can do, IMO, is try to be solid in all three phases of the game. You don't have to be great in all three phases to be successful, but it gives you options if things start to go awry.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Mike_e

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on May 24, 2014, 02:51:34 pm
The point is BP certainly attempted to be balanced, but without much success.  It 'twas the same for BB last season.  Maybe we'll see success at being balanced this season.  And maybe our defense will be marginally competent.  It's one step at a time right now...or on baby step at a time.  Lots of ground to make up.  Especially with restoring talent.

I don't know how serious that attempt was by bp though.  He seemed to sacrifice everything to his passing attack.  If you don't practice the run you won't be very good at it.

It appears that BB's offensive concepts have the passing game as a part of it instead of two separate entities.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!