Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What should we expect once the system is in place?

Started by Jek Tono Porkins, May 17, 2014, 05:04:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2014, 12:25:54 pm
For the record, I never said he'll never have a good QB.  And no, I'm not convinced at all that a 'world class' QB coach would wanna work for BB.  It's more of a matter of confidence (or lack of) in him than anything. 

This time last year, I thought Chaney was the real deal...but he looked more Sun Belt than SEC, so maybe I was wrong about him.

The only way I see an All-SEC type QB here with BB as head coach is if a local kid like Storey pans out big-time, or BB runs Chaney off and takes a chance on a young, up-and-comer similar to what Gus was six or seven years ago, and he pans out.

How was it Sunbelt? Chaney wasn't the problem, lack of execution was, we'll see if it changes this year.

LZH

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on May 22, 2014, 10:39:28 am
Wisconsin didn't seem to have problems developing QBs.  His teams AVERAGED 2700 yds through the air during his time at Wisconsin.  Nutt's teams averaged around 2000.

This whole thought that he is the second coming of Nutt (except with coaching ability) is absolutely ridiculous

I have absolutely no idea on any numbers, but I'd be willing to bet that an overwhelming majority of those passing yards came against teams such as Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, etc.  Just as Petrino's teams' best passing games came against inferior talent.

Fwiw, Nutt rarely had a good QB, but his better teams could run the ball against the best defenses in the SEC quite often.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 22, 2014, 12:30:01 pm
How was it Sunbelt? Chaney wasn't the problem, lack of execution was, we'll see if it changes this year.

If bringing Derby off the bench on that 3rd & 6 to run an option play against Ole Miss isn't 'Sun Belt', then I can't imagine what is.  BA had marched the offense past midfield in just a handfull of plays, btw.  But when Derby trotted onto the field on 3rd down and lined up in the gun next to Williams or Collins or whoever it was - there wasn't a soul in the stadium or the TV audience that didn't know exactly what was about to happen.  I think he lost two yards iirc.

That play still pisses me off.

HogFanatic

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2014, 12:37:18 pm
I have absolutely no idea on any numbers, but I'd be willing to bet that an overwhelming majority of those passing yards came against teams such as Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, etc.  Just as Petrino's teams' best passing games came against inferior talent.

Fwiw, Nutt rarely had a good QB, but his better teams could run the ball against the best defenses in the SEC quite often.

Nutt didn't have the ABILITY to develop a good QB. Casey Dick went from zero to hero with a single coaching change.

Just as Petrino didn't allot practice time to the defense, I don't think Nutt really CARED about developing a good passing game. Which is mind boggling to me. The dude was a quarterback afterall.

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

For the record, I never said he'll never have a good QB.  And no, I'm not convinced at all that a 'world class' QB coach would wanna work for BB.  It's more of a matter of confidence (or lack of) in him than anything. 

This time last year, I thought Chaney was the real deal...but he looked more Sun Belt than SEC, so maybe I was wrong about him.

The only way I see an All-SEC type QB here with BB as head coach is if a local kid like Storey pans out big-time, or BB runs Chaney off and takes a chance on a young, up-and-comer similar to what Gus was six or seven years ago, and he pans out.

I would be lying if I said not once last year did I question a play being called. There were several games I felt Chaney's play calling was doing BA no favors. As I have said before - CBB has proven he will not accept under performance.

Hopefully Chaney and BA are in the same page this year and it clicks.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2014, 12:45:50 pm
If bringing Derby off the bench on that 3rd & 6 to run an option play against Ole Miss isn't 'Sun Belt', then I can't imagine what is.  BA had marched the offense past midfield in just a handfull of plays, btw.  But when Derby trotted onto the field on 3rd down and lined up in the gun next to Williams or Collins or whoever it was - there wasn't a soul in the stadium or the TV audience that didn't know exactly what was about to happen.  I think he lost two yards iirc.

That play still pisses me off.

If it had worked, would it have been Pac12?

LZH

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 22, 2014, 12:53:58 pm
Nutt didn't have the ABILITY to develop a good QB. Casey Dick went from zero to hero with a single coaching change.

Just as Petrino didn't allot practice time to the defense, I don't think Nutt really CARED about developing a good passing game. Which is mind boggling to me. The dude was a quarterback afterall.

Yeah, but like BB, Nutt could have (should have) hired a QB coach.  Well, he actually had one for about ten minutes but we all know how that turned out.

I just don't buy the 'BA was hurt' story that everyone seems to love repeating.  Yeah, he was injured...I realize that.  But his injury had little, if nothing, to do with some of the decisions he made or some of the plays that Chaney called.

I read on here how so many say "we got so much better as the season progressed".  No, we didn't.  LSU game?  Yeah, OK.  But I didn't see any improvement from the 2nd half of the Rutgers game until we got to Baton Rouge and caught LSU sleepwalking. 

Am I an expert?  No.  But I don't have to be one to have a fairly informed opinion.......an opinion which stongly suggests that my lack of confidence in BB and his crew isn't just a figment of my wild imagination.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 22, 2014, 01:07:40 pm
If it had worked, would it have been Pac12?

If that had worked, I'd have been on here saying "we got away with one because Ole Miss screwed up, but that was still a ridiculous play call".

And so would a few others, for that matter.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2014, 01:08:29 pm
Yeah, but like BB, Nutt could have (should have) hired a QB coach.  Well, he actually had one for about ten minutes but we all know how that turned out.

I just don't buy the 'BA was hurt' story that everyone seems to love repeating.  Yeah, he was injured...I realize that.  But his injury had little, if nothing, to do with some of the decisions he made or some of the plays that Chaney called.

I read on here how so many say "we got so much better as the season progressed".  No, we didn't.  LSU game?  Yeah, OK.  But I didn't see any improvement from the 2nd half of the Rutgers game until we got to Baton Rouge and caught LSU sleepwalking. 

Am I an expert?  No.  But I don't have to be one to have a fairly informed opinion.......an opinion which stongly suggests that my lack of confidence in BB and his crew isn't just a figment of my wild imagination.

We hung with MSU pretty close, and almost had them beat.  I'd say that's improvement.  We played that game pretty tough.  We also didn't do incredibly bad against Ole Miss.  I think you're missing what improvement we did have, whether on purpose or not isn't for me to decide.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2014, 01:11:57 pm
If that had worked, I'd have been on here saying "we got away with one because Ole Miss screwed up, but that was still a ridiculous play call".

And so would a few others, for that matter.
If it was an option, wouldn't they have defend several areas? I mean Auburn runs two plays, but succeeds on execution. The play was fine, the execution sucked.

hawgsalot

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2014, 01:08:29 pm

Wow really, we played Aubby pretty dang tough but BA's being out 2 series,deep in Aubby territory with a lead , killed us by having 2 turnovers, A&M our offense held it's own again and we just couldn't overcome Johnny in the end, Ole MISS, MSU and LSU again big improvement over florida and USC.  Not sure what you were expecting to see the others we were in the game til the end.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 22, 2014, 08:52:22 am

Never hurts to get outside opinions, so here is one from an outside source that I always check on for this years team:
http://interactive.orlandosentinel.com/countdown/index.html

Here's one I always use, much more insight into their rankings, not just a couple of guys opinions.
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10935532&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FpPqSpbWBGa%22%7D

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 22, 2014, 01:34:45 pm
If it was an option, wouldn't they have defend several areas? I mean Auburn runs two plays, but succeeds on execution. The play was fine, the execution sucked.

Yeah, but Auburn plays the same QB every play.  My gripe was, when Derby ran onto the field everyone knew who to key on.  Jr. High coaches know better than that.

I'm not trying to claim any particular high ground here, I know you played, too.  But when you trot out a 6'5" 245lb QB on 3rd & 6 against an SEC defense coached by veteran SEC coaches, there's no way in hades I can give Chaney a mulligan on that one.  Hell, it's not like Derby even tried a switcheroo flea flicker or something....BA could have done that fwiw.

Nope, the one and only play that the Ole Miss defense would have expected - the QB option - we ran.  That was bush league and was the beginning of the end of any faith I had in BB/Chaney.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2014, 01:57:31 pm
Yeah, but Auburn plays the same QB every play.  My gripe was, when Derby ran onto the field everyone knew who to key on.  Jr. High coaches know better than that.

I'm not trying to claim any particular high ground here, I know you played, too.  But when you trot out a 6'5" 245lb QB on 3rd & 6 against an SEC defense coached by veteran SEC coaches, there's no way in hades I can give Chaney a mulligan on that one.  Hell, it's not like Derby even tried a switcheroo flea flicker or something....BA could have done that fwiw.

Nope, the one and only play that the Ole Miss defense would have expected - the QB option - we ran.  That was bush league and was the beginning of the end of any faith I had in BB/Chaney.

Such a shining beacon of goodness and light you are...

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2014, 01:57:31 pm

No, the bad can was not going for it on 4th down, or I don't remember us going for it. You run on 3rd and 6, you go for it on 4th. I seem to remember we were in plus territory.

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 22, 2014, 01:59:48 pm
Such a shining beacon of goodness and light you are...

How sweet.  But I'm fairly certain that you have me confused with someone else.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 22, 2014, 02:00:01 pm
No, the bad can was not going for it on 4th down, or I don't remember us going for it. You run on 3rd and 6, you go for it on 4th. I seem to remember we were in plus territory.

Yeah, we were at their 45 or so.  When Derby ran out there, I was like "no, no, no, surely not!"  BA was having a fine game up til that point, too.  IIRC, we were tearing them up in the middle of the field behind the MLB.

LR54

Between CBB and Chaney - 2 Superbowl winning QBs and 6 NFL QBs. Wilson, Tolzien, Brees, Orton, Painter, Bray.

When over 90% of offensive production is having to come from inexperienced  underclassmen, in the first year of a completely different offense, with an injured QB -  I'm guessing play calling might be less than an exact science.

Interesting factoid - Chaney scored more points as an OC against a top 10 Saban team than anyone in college football. 52 points against Saban's #6 Michigan St. team.

Nobody, including Chaney, has said some mistakes weren't made. But in the first year of rebuilding a dumpster fire, with so many inexperienced players, is that really unexpected?

PorkRinds

Quote from: LR54 on May 22, 2014, 02:17:53 pm
Between CBB and Chaney - 2 Superbowl winning QBs and 6 NFL QBs. Wilson, Tolzien, Brees, Orton, Painter, Bray.

When over 90% of offensive production is having to come from inexperienced  underclassmen, in the first year of a completely different offense, with an injured QB -  I'm guessing play calling might be less than an exact science.

Interesting factoid - Chaney scored more points as an OC against a top 10 Saban team than anyone in college football. 52 points against Saban's #6 Michigan St. team.

Nobody, including Chaney, has said some mistakes weren't made. But in the first year of rebuilding a dumpster fire, with so many inexperienced players, is that really unexpected?

Haven't you heard?  Just win baby!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2014, 11:44:27 am
Ya'll can cry "Brandon Allen was hurt last year" all you want to.  Hey, I took up for the kid, too (still do).  But if you think for one second that BA would have had the poor season he had last year if BP had been coaching him, you're dreaming.

When I say BB can't/won't develop or sign QB's, etc.....I really mean whoever he has on staff as OC or QB coach.  Because there's no arguing that BB doesn't coach QB's whatsoever.

Pure speculation, LZ, and what is more, you know it. We all have opinions. Often times things get confused when opinions are stated as if they are facts. I've been guilty of this as well. Just sayin, the jury is still out. I think we would be in error to attempt to draw any accurate conclusions about what we will see this year, based on what we saw last year.
Go Hogs Go!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

LR54

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 22, 2014, 02:24:34 pm
Haven't you heard?  Just win baby!

Yeah, you would think that's what everybody would want. That's why I'm not seeing how this constant CBB bashing, by a few on here, is supposed to make that go any faster.

Along that same line, I can see where the constant fawning over the Louisville coach by some, might help his recruiting, but I fail to see where it could do much for ours.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LR54 on May 22, 2014, 05:23:08 pm
Yeah, you would think that's what everybody would want. That's why I'm not seeing how this constant CBB bashing, by a few on here, is supposed to make that go any faster.

Along that same line, I can see where the constant fawning over the Louisville coach by some, might help his recruiting, but I fail to see where it could do much for ours.

CBP sitting in the living room of a 5 star - "I will make a winner out of you. I am a genius. Don't believe me? Checkout Hogville. They still love me after I lied to their faces, so just imagine what I can do for you when I lie to you!"   ;D

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 22, 2014, 05:56:48 pm
CBP sitting in the living room of a 5 star - "I will make a winner out of you. I am a genius. Don't believe me? Checkout Hogville. They still love me after I lied to their faces, so just imagine what I can do for you when I lie to you!"   ;D

If I were recruiting against BP, I'd just call up the infamous press conference video on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ezVZbYcCo

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 22, 2014, 03:48:52 pm
Pure speculation, LZ, and what is more, you know it.

All I know is BA and his decision-making did not improve last year under Chaney.  I also know that BP won 5 games with the Dick brothers (and should have won two more).

Now, I'm not pining for the Petrino days...he was great with QB's, but after what he did here I hope he crashes and burns at Louisville (he won't, but he deserves to).  What I am saying is if BB had a real QB coach on staff last year - a good one, a pro - there's no doubt in my mind that not only would we have had much better play from the QB position, we'd have won a couple of those 'close' games last year.  Because when it came to the nut-cuttin', we had nothing creative offensively to give us a chance.

I say that because I was totally and completely disappointed in Chaney's performace from top to bottom last year.  And BB isn't one of those Petrino-types that could step in and take over that part and set everyone straight.

ChauvinistPig

Quote from: LR54 on May 22, 2014, 11:22:10 am
These HDN comparisons have turned into some kind of Hogville urban myth.

The year before CBB took over as DC at Wisconsin, they had a defense ranked at #52. His first year, they finished ranked #7 nationally.

His first year as HC, his defense was ranked #3.

2011, #6. 2012, #20.

He had some of the best O-lines in college football at Wisconsin. Judging from his recruiting so far, there's no reason to think that a Bielema/Chaney/Pittman O-line won't be at least top 3 in the SEC.

Arkansas was 3rd in the SEC in rushing ypg last year with 2 true freshmen on the OL, a true freshmen RB, and a sophomore RB with almost no experience. As long as CBB is here, there's no reason to think we won't have at least a top 3 SEC running game.

Signing / developing QBs? Tolzien was a 2 star QB that ended up winning the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award his senior year. He finished ranked #4 in passer rating and #1 in completion percentage. At Wisconsin, CBB had more passing yards than rushing yards in 4 out of 7 years. 

CBB convinced Russell Wilson to sign with him instead of becoming Can Newton's replacement for Malzahn/Auburn.

Between CBB and Chaney, they have 2 Superbowl winners in Wilson and Brees. The QBs they coached that made it to the NFL include - Wilson, Bray, Tolzien, Painter, Orton, and Brees. And before anybody tunes up about Chaney not being a QB coach. When you put nearly every QB you've coached into the NFL, that's more than just a coincidence.   

Great post. It's positive and you used facts. I'm getting tired of all the ussypas on here whining about how we are gonna suck again. I think we are gonna start hitting some people in the mouth next year...starting with Auburn. We are the Arkansas Razormfnbacks!

Seminole Indian

May 23, 2014, 06:33:32 am #178 Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:13:34 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: ChauvinistPig on May 22, 2014, 09:09:10 pm
Great post. It's positive and you used facts. I'm getting tired of all the ussypas on here whining about how we are gonna suck again. I think we are gonna start hitting some people in the mouth next year...starting with Auburn. We are the Arkansas Razormfnbacks!
Absolutely, maybe, maybe not, no way, fact is you never know when it comes to the Razorbacks.

While I'm a big fan of composite rankings, and try to not rely on any single  ranking ranking (really like the Massey Composite, and the BCS rankings), a few years ago this computer ranking  was recommended to me.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/historical_composite.html

What it shows is the Razorbacks have a very respectable #33 overall ranking for the time period covered, but they are anything but respectable in how they achieved it. They are consistently inconsistent, and have been throughout. I have no doubts that the Razorbacks will be good, I have now doubts they will stink, and everything in between, just don't know when and know they cannot sustain success.

The reason why your program went from being a consistent top 20 program to what it is today, and will be going forward is it joined the SEC.

ASU was pretty consistently bad until they started recruiting better athletes after the bowl game in 2005, and better coaches a little later.

Both schools show the tremendous impact coaching can have on a program.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 23, 2014, 06:33:32 am
Absolutely, maybe, maybe not, no way, fact is you never know when it comes to the Razorbacks.

While I'm a big fan of composite rankings, and try to not rely on any single  ranking ranking (really like the Massey Composite, and the BCS rankings), a few years ago this computer ranking  was recommended to me.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/historical_composite.html

What it shows is the Razorbacks have a very respectable #33 overall ranking for the time period covered, but they are anything but respectable in how they achieved it. They are consistently inconsistent, and have been throughout. I have no doubts that the Razorbacks will be good, I have now doubts they will stink, and everything in between, just don't know when and know they cannot sustain success.

The reason why your program went from being a consistent top 20 program to what it is today, and will be going forward is it joined the SEC.

ASU was pretty consistently bad until they started recruiting better athletes after the bowl game in 2005, and better coaches a little later.

Both schools show the tremendous impact coaching can have on a program.

So are you saying ASU is in better shape program wise than us? Therefore you are projecting better future results?

three hog night

Quote from: LR54 on May 22, 2014, 02:17:53 pm

When you have to start 2 true freshman on the Oline, you know there are problems.  The WR's were marginal at times and couldn't fight through press coverage that threw off timing routes.  BA's injury to his throwing shoulder is a serious impact.  BA was shaky when WR's were not where they were supposed to be and then started locking in on Henry and Hatcher as the only ones he trusted.  BA started improving the last 3 games of the season, which coincided with his healing process.  BA is better in shotgun than under center when he lost confidence in his protection.   The Run game was damaged by the ineffective passing game of BA and Derby, because teams could gang up on the run and play man on our weak WR's.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

three hog night

The year before CBB took over as DC at Wisconsin, they had a defense ranked at #52. His first year, they finished ranked #7 nationally.

2011, #6. 2012, #20.

He had some of the best O-lines in college football at Wisconsin. Judging from his recruiting so far, there's no reason to think that a Bielema/Chaney/Pittman O-line won't be at least top 3 in the SEC.

Arkansas was 3rd in the SEC in rushing ypg last year with 2 true freshmen on the OL, a true freshmen RB, and a sophomore RB with almost no experience. As long as CBB is here, there's no reason to think we won't have at least a top 3 SEC running game.

Signing / developing QBs? Tolzien was a 2 star QB that ended up winning the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award his senior year. He finished ranked #4 in passer rating and #1 in completion percentage. At Wisconsin, CBB had more passing yards than rushing yards in 4 out of 7 years. 

CBB convinced Russell Wilson to sign with him instead of becoming Can Newton's replacement for Malzahn/Auburn.

Between CBB and Chaney, they have 2 Superbowl winners in Wilson and Brees. The QBs they coached that made it to the NFL include - Wilson, Bray, Tolzien, Painter, Orton, and Brees. And before anybody tunes up about Chaney not being a QB coach. When you put nearly every QB you've coached into the NFL, that's more than just a coincidence.   

there are very good data points saying that we are going to come out of this bad hangover and start winning again.  I have known too many fans that have admitted they loved talking trash during the 3 year run by Petrino, but now they are embarrassed as fans from other teams lash out at them.  These HOG fans should be mad at themselves for running their mouths sooo much, but NOPE they are mad at JL for firing BP, Hiring Bielema, and can't stand it that BP is back at Louisville.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 23, 2014, 07:42:47 am
So are you saying ASU is in better shape program wise than us? Therefore you are projecting better future results?

One thing you should know about Seminole.  He's like that gay cousin at Thanksgiving dinner that thinks everyone will believe that the guy he brought to granny's house is his "roommate", when everyone has known he's gay for years.  He thinks he can stay in the closet as an ASU fan, but he's obviously been out of that closet for years.  He has this self important outside observer shtick he likes to put out, but it's really just cover.  He loves ASU, and pretty much everything he posts is a veiled attempt to pump the redpups.   

ChitownHawg

Quote from: three hog night on May 23, 2014, 08:29:14 am
there are very good data points saying that we are going to come out of this bad hangover and start winning again.  I have known too many fans that have admitted they loved talking trash during the 3 year run by Petrino, but now they are embarrassed as fans from other teams lash out at them.  These HOG fans should be mad at themselves for running their mouths sooo much, but NOPE they are mad at JL for firing BP, Hiring Bielema, and can't stand it that BP is back at Louisville.

Yep their identity is tied to the Hogs. Sad but true.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 23, 2014, 08:29:39 am

One thing you should know about Seminole.  He's like that gay cousin at Thanksgiving dinner that thinks everyone will believe that the guy he brought to granny's house is his "roommate", when everyone has known he's gay for years.  He thinks he can stay in the closet as an ASU fan, but he's obviously been out of that closet for years.  He has this self important outside observer shtick he likes to put out, but it's really just cover.  He loves ASU, and pretty much everything he posts is a veiled attempt to pump the redpups.

When do we tell him the family is spending the holiday in Hawaii? But we ain't.  ;D

three hog night

Quote from: hoghiker on May 20, 2014, 06:29:42 am
It's amazing to me the number of people ready to concede the next 3 or 4 years of Hog football because they don't like the coach. I don't know that we're going to get better with BB but I've got some hope we will. I don't know that we will and the BB downers don't know we won't. I'll just wait and see and so will everyone else. Ain't any other option.

This is a logical post....we don't allow those here.

I see the talent improving and the coaching pedigrees are better.   BB is doing a better job recruiting players that are immediately ready to play or start as Freshman.  BB is doing a better job of signing a whole class that is dominated by 3 stars or better.  Our previous coaches would sign good players at the top of the class and then have 5-10 unranked/projects.   The bottom of the roster talent is getting much better when this second class reports for Summer camp.

three hog night

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 23, 2014, 08:34:18 am

The sad part is that it isn't just the 16-30 year olds that are acting childish.  There are guys that are in their 40 that talk trash, and you didn't see that 10 years ago.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 23, 2014, 07:42:47 am
Relatively speaking maybe, but in totally different worlds.

It will probably be impossible for any G5 program to build a program that matches even the most average P5 program going forward, and I think that reality is why the Boise folks are so upset. Arkansas is, and will continue to be  a top-tier FBS program, for real tangible reasons. The only area I seen them struggling in  is consistently recruiting the across the board talent necessary to consistently beat the hand full of SEC programs that can count on such talent by default( not sure about today, but we use to say in recruiting basketball players leave home, football players stay home).

ASU simply have to be able to compete for championships in the SBC to be considered  successful, go to bowls, and reap the rewards that come with winning.

They are at or near the top of their conference in all the areas critical to winning right now, hiring  quality coaching , recruiting, and attendance,and while they have nice facilities, they are now making major upgrades. At least for the foreseeable future there are real hard, tangible reasons to expect for them to continue to have success.

Again we are talking apples and oranges here.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 23, 2014, 09:09:02 am
Relatively speaking maybe, but in totally different worlds.

It will probably be impossible for any G5 program to build a program that matches even the most average P5 program going forward, and I think that reality is why the Boise folks are so upset. Arkansas is, and will continue to be  a top-tier FBS program, for real tangible reasons. The only area I seen them struggling in  is consistently recruiting the across the board talent necessary to consistently beat the hand full of SEC programs that can count on such talent by default( not sure about today, but we use to say in recruiting basketball players leave home, football players stay home).

ASU simply have to be able to compete for championships in the SBC to be considered  successful, go to bowls, and reap the rewards that come with winning.

They are at or near the top of their conference in all the areas critical to winning right now, hiring  quality coaching , recruiting, and attendance,and while they have nice facilities, they are now making major upgrades. At least for the foreseeable future there are real hard, tangible reasons to expect for them to continue to have success.

Again we are talking apples and oranges here.

The bolded is a by-product of our revolving door to the head coach's office. ASU has to be careful of this as well. This one year and move on coaches give you a great season, but will eventually wear down the recruiting.

hogsanity

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 23, 2014, 08:34:18 am

Yep, some of them act like what goes on with the team is a personal attack on them anytime something goes wrong.  If your self worth is derived from what a group of 18-22 year olds do on a football field, and you are not one of those kids or one of their coaches, well you have problems.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigbadhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 22, 2014, 01:13:20 pm
We hung with MSU pretty close, and almost had them beat.  I'd say that's improvement.  We played that game pretty tough.  We also didn't do incredibly bad against Ole Miss.  I think you're missing what improvement we did have, whether on purpose or not isn't for me to decide.

I drove 3 hours to attend the Miss St game and can attest that we were terrible.  The failed fake punt before the half didn't help.  I honestly didn't see the improvement last year either except the LSU game.  Certainly didn't see a trend throughout the year that many claim...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

three hog night

Quote from: bigbadhog on May 23, 2014, 09:19:42 am
I drove 3 hours to attend the Miss St game and can attest that we were terrible.  The failed fake punt before the half didn't help.  I honestly didn't see the improvement last year either except the LSU game.  Certainly didn't see a trend throughout the year that many claim...

It is hard to see positives when all you see is negatives

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bigbadhog on May 23, 2014, 09:19:42 am

What you see on the field depends on your perspective of the coaching changes. Also I think in some ways it is easier to see the game on tv versus in person. I would not trade attending a game for tv, but less distractions in your living room.

bigbadhog

2011, #6. 2012, #20.

You have to be pretty bad at passing the ball to have more rushing yards than passing years 3 out of 7 years.  For example, if you throw 40% of the time which I think is reasonable, you will accumulate many more passing yards than running yards.  I watch WISC play before BB was hired and my first thought was "back to Nutt-ball" when BB was hired.  It is what it is.  The passing game will never get the focus of the running game. 

bigbadhog

Quote from: three hog night on May 23, 2014, 09:22:22 am
It is hard to see positives when all you see is negatives

It is hard to see positives when what you are looking at is BAD...

three hog night

Quote from: bigbadhog on May 23, 2014, 09:32:12 am

You are so negative and look for it.  You must be a joy to be around.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bigbadhog on May 23, 2014, 09:32:12 am

And that was his point.  :D

bigbadhog

Quote from: three hog night on May 23, 2014, 09:44:37 am
You are so negative and look for it.  You must be a joy to be around.

I have never liked BB or his style of football.  You didn't see me complaining when BP was here.  He brought us in to the modern era of football and BB has taken us back to the dark ages. Many older fans feel who sat thru 1984-2007 feel exactly like it do...

bigbadhog