Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What should we expect once the system is in place?

Started by Jek Tono Porkins, May 17, 2014, 05:04:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

May 20, 2014, 06:58:24 am #100 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:45:48 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: hoghiker on May 20, 2014, 06:29:42 am
It's amazing to me the number of people ready to concede the next 3 or 4 years of Hog football because they don't like the coach. I don't know that we're going to get better with BB but I've got some hope we will. I don't know that we will and the BB downers don't know we won't. I'll just wait and see and so will everyone else. Ain't any other option.
My impression is that the issue with most 'fans' is not the coach but the talent.

Hard to hide the fact from people that actually watch the team, or those that go simply  by results that the Razorbacks, for what ever reason, have fallen behind in that the most critical area by far.

Can't fix 4-5 years of subpar recruiting  over night.

It is even more difficult when you have not shown you can fix the problem, and recruit well enough to stay up with the schools your fans consider your peers. There is growing evidence that that is the reality confronting the Razorback football program, and it is a program killer, especially in the SEC.

Those saying it is not are not telling you the truth, for whatever reason, and  is a concern for some people that support the program.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 18, 2014, 10:56:28 am
History means nothing . we are hiring better coaches and assistants . we are spending the kind of money it takes to win at a high level . we can recruit against the big boys . it will take time to show ourselves to the national recruits and get them to buy in . but it is happening . Especially now with these new coaches we have here . We are moving into Florida , georgia , And Texas harder now with the new coaches

You are TRULY the definition of a delusional fan...
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

ChitownHawg

May 20, 2014, 09:15:32 am #102 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 10:10:03 am by ChitownHawg
Quote from: Gulf_Hog on May 20, 2014, 06:52:06 am
No, not pessimistic. That is realistic and I have the numbers there to back it up. Arkansas is 0-2 with aTm since joining the SEC, so out of 13 teams, we only have a winning record with 4 SEC teams, a losing record with 8 and no record yet with Mizzou.
So, I again base this off recruiting classes that are not as good as either of those schools I mentioned. Bielema's 2 classes have been at the rear end of the SEC, so I can't see us winning more than 7 this year. I hope we can recruit better and have a competitive defense in the future. It is not so much down on Bielema or our team, as much as it is playing in the most difficult Conference and Division in NCAA football bar none.

Additionally, I said I was not impressed at this point with Bielema. He has never had to recruit or play against the competition in Wisconsin as he is encountering now in Arkansas. Time will tell if he is up to the task. I personally would not have made that hire, but if his determination and resolve is as advertised, he will learn and build a team with his systems in place that will compete.

I have no doubt BTW, that Bret could win 10 or 11 games this year with his Wisconsin team. They play a schedule that is rated around 150 and have only 1 top 25 team on the schedule all year, that being LSU. Conversely, he will get to try and beat around 6-7 top 25 rated teams this year with the Razorbacks. It's a monumental task for any coach.
I certainly want to win every game possible, but am taking a wait and see approach, and certainly this year would be thrilled with 7 wins. I am excited as always to see our team play and always hope we win every game.

Oh well one man's "realism" is another man's "pessimism". I also clearly told you that we have beaten each of those teams since being in the SEC. Even when they out recruited us. Therefore history and your stats show we have beaten them. Of course you did take the last two years for A&M and conveniently left out the two years before that.

Sumlin had a generational QB since arriving there, and this year he doesn't have. We will see if he can stay on top. He may or may not. A&M's historical facts say they will not.

Now the question is can CBB and staff recruit at an all time high for Arkansas? Who knows. As has been posted repeatedly we simply need to consistently keep our classes at Top 25 and we will be fine. Current class is meeting the top 25 requirement. In my optimistic opinion.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Means-well

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 20, 2014, 09:15:32 am

Now the question is can CBB and staff recruit at an all time high for Arkansas? Who knows. As has been posted repeatedly we simply need to consistently keep our classes at Top 25 and we will be fine. Current class is meeting the top 25 requirement. In my optimistic opinion.

Today's top recruits are under extreme local pressure to stay "in state", which makes our recruiting strategy and messaging critical. We have to be seen as a program built to prepare you for the nfl and a warm culture that will lure kids away. At the same time,  we can no longer afford to lose any top instate recruits. We must own the state.

I understand those who believe to get the best you have to demand big, don't settle,  and don't buy into constant history/geography lessons on why we cannot be a perennial power.  However, the debate is about how long that should take and is cbb the right guy. IMO cbb is focusing on the right things and 5 years sounds about right. Even if he can't take us to the final level, we'll be in much better shape talent wise than when he got here. The only risk as I see it is if recruits now feel he's on the hot seat - look at Florida's recruiting right now with muschamp's situation.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Means-well on May 20, 2014, 09:56:00 am
Today's top recruits are under extreme local pressure to stay "in state", which makes our recruiting strategy and messaging critical. We have to be seen as a program built to prepare you for the nfl and a warm culture that will lure kids away. At the same time,  we can no longer afford to lose any top instate recruits. We must own the state.

I understand those who believe to get the best you have to demand big, don't settle,  and don't buy into constant history/geography lessons on why we cannot be a perennial power.  However, the debate is about how long that should take and is cbb the right guy. IMO cbb is focusing on the right things and 5 years sounds about right. Even if he can't take us to the final level, we'll be in much better shape talent wise than when he got here. The only risk as I see it is if recruits now feel he's on the hot seat - look at Florida's recruiting right now with muschamp's situation.

I believe this year will silence many of the skeptics and the 2015 class will add another quality layer of recruits on the foundation. Why I believe in CBB is his philosophy of building the lines. You can have great skill players, but if you don't have linemen to keep the defense off your QB or RBs then what good are the skill players? Same about the LBs. How could can an LB be if he is fighting off olinemen the whole game.

These linemen are not sexy like the skill players, but you cannot win without them. They are also in more abundance than the skill players, so us building out solid linemen on both sides of the ball shouldn't be a problem.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

The Kig

Over the long run, I expect we will still ride a roller coaster... sometimes we can take the ride to the very top and sometimes we will be hurtling to the bottom.  Blame it on whatever you want: geography, other teams brand recognition, Lester-like game changing coaching decisions, referees, etc.

On the whole I expect less of the dips to the bottom, but recognize that there are simply always going to be those seasons where the ball bounces the other way, injuries, and another team buys a Cam Newton type player.

The important thing for me is the fundamental belief that if the stars align that we have a competent coaching staff that can take advantage of the situation and put us in a position to play for all the chips. 

This isn't some "poor little Arkysaw" can't compete with the big boys mentality on my part.  I think that the SEC is and will remain the premier football conference and most of the teams are working just as hard to be THE contender.  Parity will mean that even good teams will see 7-8 wins in some years. 
Poker Porker

Means-well

One other thing on location. There is far more talent (and population) south of Orlando than in the entire state of al (and throw in ga without atl). It's a 6 dr dr from Miami to Gainesville, 9 to Tallahassee. If it's was only about location "the u" would still be top 5.  Terrible fan base, no campus stadium, ect - their atmosphere stinks. 

It's more than the drive if you have true appeal.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: The Kig on May 20, 2014, 10:26:31 am
Over the long run, I expect we will still ride a roller coaster... sometimes we can take the ride to the very top and sometimes we will be hurtling to the bottom.  Blame it on whatever you want: geography, other teams brand recognition, Lester-like game changing coaching decisions, referees, etc.

On the whole I expect less of the dips to the bottom, but recognize that there are simply always going to be those seasons where the ball bounces the other way, injuries, and another team buys a Cam Newton type player.

The important thing for me is the fundamental belief that if the stars align that we have a competent coaching staff that can take advantage of the situation and put us in a position to play for all the chips. 

This isn't some "poor little Arkysaw" can't compete with the big boys mentality on my part.  I think that the SEC is and will remain the premier football conference and most of the teams are working just as hard to be THE contender.  Parity will mean that even good teams will see 7-8 wins in some years.

I think may pan out to be very true. Just take a look at the SEC only 5 years ago. The East was a joke. The West had traditional Bama and LSU. So all we had to do was beat one of them and hope that team defeated the other.

Today the East is in the rise again with 2 to 3 good teams. The West still has the traditional power of Bama and LSU, yet not quite the lock on the top as in the past.. Now Auburn and A&M just below them. Throw in Ole Miss & MSU being competent again.

Not easy for anyone to climb to the top and stay there. It can be a roller coaster ride any year for all of the SEC teams. Parity may well have arrived.

Hogwild

Yes we play in a really tough conference, Florida has the 17th best winning % all-time, but that doesn't even make the top 5 in the SEC. 12 of the 14 are .500 or better.

SEC All-time winning %
1) Bama        .714
2) UT            .682
3) LSU          .650
4) UGA         .647
5) Auburn     .633
6) Florida     .629
7) A&M        .602
8 ) Arkansas  .588
9) Ole Miss   .560
10) Mizzou    .549
11) USCe      .513
12) Vandy     .500
13) UK          .497
14) MState    .485

Unfortunately the difference in a top 10 recruit and a top 25 recruit may be only a half step over 10 yards but think about this.  That half step equates to a proper block for the RB to go around to an imperfect block and maybe a 15 yard penalty for not blocking legal.  That half step can be the difference between the RB gong the distance to receiving a 2 yard loss.  That lighter weight LB cannot hold on long enough for help to arrive because the help is also 10 pounds lighter and a half step slower.  Their RB breaks the tackle and goes the distance.  That DE that turns out to be the equal of any in the SEC though not recruited very highly, is now in the 4th quarter fighting his rear off and hasn't missed a play all day while the other team is pouring their depth all over him with fresh legs and hungary players so he gets beat on the sweep because their second teamers are faster and as big as he is and he is dog tired.  Recruiting is the big difference and coaching is more important to an average team than it is to a very talented team at least until you get to the major bowls or n the NCG.

Like many in this thread has said, expect 7 to 9 win seasons with a rare 10 win season and maybe a rare 4 win season.  I see Houston Nutt numbers but maybe BB can stave off the really bad years that Hootie couldn't.  BB has more brains in the dirt under his fingernails than Hootie ever had.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: 12247 on May 20, 2014, 11:19:03 am
Unfortunately the difference in a top 10 recruit and a top 25 recruit may be only a half step over 10 yards but think about this.  That half step equates to a proper block for the RB to go around to an imperfect block and maybe a 15 yard penalty for not blocking legal.  That half step can be the difference between the RB gong the distance to receiving a 2 yard loss.  That lighter weight LB cannot hold on long enough for help to arrive because the help is also 10 pounds lighter and a half step slower.  Their RB breaks the tackle and goes the distance.  That DE that turns out to be the equal of any in the SEC though not recruited very highly, is now in the 4th quarter fighting his rear off and hasn't missed a play all day while the other team is pouring their depth all over him with fresh legs and hungary players so he gets beat on the sweep because their second teamers are faster and as big as he is and he is dog tired.  Recruiting is the big difference and coaching is more important to an average team than it is to a very talented team at least until you get to the major bowls or n the NCG.

Like many in this thread has said, expect 7 to 9 win seasons with a rare 10 win season and maybe a rare 4 win season. I see Houston Nutt numbers but maybe BB can stave off the really bad years that Hootie couldn't.  BB has more brains in the dirt under his fingernails than Hootie ever had.

I think this would be true for any coach we would have - including CBP. Hootie's high wins in this competitive environment of today would be 4 to 5. You have to have a great coach like CBB or CBP to stand a chance to compete.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Gulf_Hog on May 20, 2014, 01:35:25 pm

I appreciate your opinion and your loyalty and know I am a Razorback through and through, always have been.

I thought we were just chatting. Of course our opinions may differ and that is ok. I don't question your Hog fandom - just chatting is all.

code red

We will be able to tell in the 1st half of the first game if we are going bowling.  Our QB play will dictate post season play.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ChitownHawg

Quote from: code red on May 20, 2014, 02:55:07 pm
We will be able to tell in the 1st half of the first game if we are going bowling.  Our QB play will dictate post season play.

2 quarters? What a joke. Sorry but I cannot take your response that seriously.

code red

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 20, 2014, 02:58:09 pm
2 quarters? What a joke. Sorry but I cannot take your response that seriously.
OK....I will spell it out for ya.  If we can't utilize the forward pass and have a completion rate higher than 61 percent we aren't going to beat anyone in the SEC again.  Boxes will again be stacked and Safties screwed down in the box.  Our QB play will be evident in the Plains on a hot saturday night...it will tell us a ton about the rest of the season....JMHO ;)
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

twistitup

Quote from: code red on May 20, 2014, 02:55:07 pm
We will be able to tell in the 1st half of the first game if we are going bowling.

Time to start a thread?  Dumbest posts of the offseason-

this one should start the thread
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ChitownHawg

Quote from: code red on May 20, 2014, 03:03:35 pm
OK....I will spell it out for ya.  If we can't utilize the forward pass and have a completion rate higher than 61 percent we aren't going to beat anyone in the SEC again.  Boxes will again be stacked and Safties screwed down in the box.  Our QB play will be evident in the Plains on a hot saturday night...it will tell us a ton about the rest of the season....JMHO ;)

If that was an attempt as convincing me you were serious then it didn't work.  No one in their right mind states the first half of the first game on the road against the team who played for the NC last year will define a whole season.

Get serious. JMHO  ;)

ChitownHawg

Quote from: twistitup on May 20, 2014, 03:22:20 pm
Time to start a thread?  Dumbest posts of the offseason-

this one should start the thread

I agree with you and I should know considering some of the dumb stuff I have written.  ;D

lefty08

Quote from: 12247 on May 20, 2014, 11:19:03 am

Like many in this thread has said, expect 7 to 9 win seasons with a rare 10 win season and maybe a rare 4 win season.  I see Houston Nutt numbers but maybe BB can stave off the really bad years that Hootie couldn't.  BB has more brains in the dirt under his fingernails than Hootie ever had.

i guess we are lucky we have Frojholdt coming in huh?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: code red on May 20, 2014, 03:03:35 pm
In 2009, Mallett had a completion rate of 55% and we did ok.

BA will be better. I don't know why anyone thinks he will get worse. If you look at the history of SEC teams, you will see many qb's that were awful their first years at starters...you don't even have to go beyond Arkansas to find such a quarterback. Clint Stoerner was pretty atrocious in his first year as a starter.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ReddieHawg on May 20, 2014, 04:46:22 pm
In 2009, Mallett had a completion rate of 55% and we did ok.

BA will be better. I don't know why anyone thinks he will get worse. If you look at the history of SEC teams, you will see many qb's that were awful their first years at starters...you don't even have to go beyond Arkansas to find such a quarterback. Clint Stoerner was pretty atrocious in his first year as a starter.

If BA is worse than last year then that is on the coaches and I would be worried about their abilities to develop a QB in the future.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 20, 2014, 07:03:07 pm
If BA is worse than last year then that is on the coaches and I would be worried about their abilities to develop a QB in the future.   

I would agree with this but I don't expect that to be the case.
Go Hogs Go!

hog911

With Coach B we will be 7-5 on a good year and 8-4 on a very good year. Expect 4-8 to 6-6 normally. Nothing to ever get excited about.

Big Poppa Z

Over a decade, I expect to average 8.5 wins.  Considering Year One, that would be a significant accomplishment.

I do believe our individual season variance for wins will be wider than the Big Boys due to overall depth issues.  There will be years when we have it and years when we're starting sophomores at key positions.

I don't see that changing, it's just math.

hawgsalot

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 19, 2014, 02:56:15 pm
Very rare when any  fans base sees their team the way others do. They are not suppose to that is why they are called 'fans'.

http://collegespun.com/national/the-10-most-delusional-fan-bases-in-college-sports/8

What I expect after the system is in place is NOT hearing from redwolf indian fans talk about wanting to play us! ;)

Seminole Indian

May 21, 2014, 12:12:52 pm #125 Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:50:06 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: hawgsalot on May 21, 2014, 11:42:41 am
What I expect after the system is in place is NOT hearing from redwolf indian fans talk about wanting to play us! ;)
Think ASU wants to be the best G5 team and get that one spot available to the G5's.

Even though the Conference they are in got the BCS money as the best non-aq conference this year, I don't think they are going to be able to soften their OC schedule any time soon, if they want to have a chance.

I think they will still be forced to play the likes of Southern Cal, Auburn, Missouri,and Miami. They are dropping the FCS school altogether, and replacing them with home and away games with  Iowa State and BYU.

Tennessee might hurt their chances this year.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 21, 2014, 12:12:52 pm
Think ASU wants to be the best G5 team and get that one spot available to the G5's.

Even though the Conference they are in got the BCS money as the best non-aq conference this year, I don't think they are going to be able to soften their OC schedule any time soon, if they want to have a chance.

I think they will still be forced to play the likes of Southern Cal, Auburn, Missouri,and Miami, and drop the FCS school altogether.

They'd give their left nut to play us.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on May 21, 2014, 12:15:30 pm
They'd give their left nut to play us.
Really think they want the G5 spot more. Now if they get it, and the Razorbacks  are there, fine and dandy.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on May 21, 2014, 12:18:26 pm
Really think they want the G5 spot more. Now if they get it, and the Razorbacks  are there, fine and dandy.

Keep dreaming, because neither is coming anytime soon.

hawgsalot

Yeah they're in a tough spot no doubt and really just don't have the backing to pull this constant changing of the guard off.  Unfortunately, I think their run is about over and was trending down last year.

Seminole Indian

May 21, 2014, 12:34:00 pm #130 Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:45:52 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: hawgsalot on May 21, 2014, 12:24:52 pm
Yeah they're in a tough spot no doubt and really just don't have the backing to pull this constant changing of the guard off.  Unfortunately, I think their run is about over and was trending down last year.
Not really, it is about recruiting at that level also, and looking ad the 24/7 composite ratings  (which uses Rivals, Scout, ESPN and their own rankings) of recruiting over the last five years, their current roster is the best in the SBC. Young yes, but talented.

Teams with the most talent, even with new coaches have a chance, and they will have that in 9 or 10 of their games.

Add to that this staff is showing signs that they are as good and probably  better at recruiting, than Freeze & Company, who were the best of the last three staffs in that the most important area.

Landing Walt Bell and Trooper Taylor is probably the biggest recruiting haul in ASU's history, and has already landed them players that would not have visited ASU in the past, much less signed(nice when you need depth at one  guard spot , and the coaches go out and get a player that started in the SEC, on a good team, as  a true, and a player with offers from the likes of Miami and Louisville to provide it). 

hawgsalot

We shall see and I don't mind ASU success but unfortunately after all the success the last few years it's still not receiving the fan support needed to take it to the next level. 

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hawgsalot on May 21, 2014, 01:45:03 pm
We shall see and I don't mind ASU success but unfortunately after all the success the last few years it's still not receiving the fan support needed to take it to the next level.
Facts say other wise, at least as compared to other G5 programs, especially SBC programs.

Really not one area of their program from attendance, winning, hiring better coaches, investing in facilities, recruiting better athletes, media attention, TV coverage, improved scheduling, that has not improved drastically over the last five year, and pails to what is already in the works.

I find it interesting that they have been able to progress so far without all the amenities  other schools who tell their fans they have to invest in to began progressing up the food chain, ( when they finish the latest round of up grades they will be on par with most G5's). It turns out having better coaches and better players than most of the teams you play trumps better facilities, when it comes to winning. Who would have thought that.

Should be fun and Interesting too watch them in their efforts to be the best G5 program.

DeltaBoy

8 plus wins each year and every year bowl games and winning those bowl games.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LZH

BB will be a more talented version of HDN.  He'll have a decent defense (eventually), he'll recruit some good big guys up front, he'll always have one or two NFL-type RB's, and he'll always have problems signing/developing good QB's.  But his in-game management will be magnified every time he blows a game he should have won.

In other words, we'll be looking for another coach in 2016/2017.

lefty08

Quote from: LZH on May 21, 2014, 07:01:59 pm
BB will be a more talented version of HDN.  He'll have a decent defense (eventually), he'll recruit some good big guys up front, he'll always have one or two NFL-type RB's, and he'll always have problems signing/developing good QB's.  But his in-game management will be magnified every time he blows a game he should have won.

We dont have enough info on whether he will get quality QBs here, except for the fact we got Peavy this year and Storey committed for next. Not sure that statement will be true
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

lefty08

I also think Jonesboro St. needs its own message board.  Who is with me???

LZH

Quote from: lefty08 on May 21, 2014, 07:08:11 pm
We dont have enough info on whether he will get quality QBs here, except for the fact we got Peavy this year and Storey committed for next. Not sure that statement will be true

It's just a feeling I get.  If BA doesn't vastly improve under Chaney this year, then I'm afraid that BB will be one of those "well, we'll do the best with what we have" kinda guys......and I am talking about OC's as well as QB's.

lefty08

Quote from: LZH on May 21, 2014, 07:16:01 pm
It's just a feeling I get.  If BA doesn't vastly improve under Chaney this year, then I'm afraid that BB will be one of those "well, we'll do the best with what we have" kinda guys......and I am talking about OC's as well as QB's.

I guess i dont see where you are getting this, so we can just disagree. Nothing I have seen from BB tells me he will settle for anything, including the offseason moves he made after that season last year

Al Boarland

Quote from: Gulf_Hog on May 20, 2014, 07:50:38 pm
Come on man, you are better than that

Seriously. Tell that to Auburn who struggled with Wash St. last season.

Basing bowl hopes on the first half of one of the best teams in the country is not sound logic. 

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: lefty08 on May 21, 2014, 07:09:20 pm

I support this.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on May 21, 2014, 07:16:01 pm

Led he could have taken that attitude with Ash, but he didn't. If Chaney cannot develop the QBs, then imagine Chaney will get his dream job elsewhere. I am not predicting he will fail.

I am just saying that CBB has shown me he will make adjustments and not be satisfied with status quo.

Seminole Indian

May 22, 2014, 08:52:22 am #142 Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:14:38 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: lefty08 on May 21, 2014, 07:09:20 pm
They have a few, but to be honest someone asked me for an opinion if the Razorbacks had a chance in hell of being more than a breakeven SEC team over the next 20 years, and I had told then probably not. I was expecting the SEC to go to 9 games when I said that.

Like I said I do think the Razorbacks will rebound and my expectation of a normal season being 6-8 wins is not much different from those that say 7-9 wins, which most seem comfortable with.

Off course the one thing we know for a fact from the last half century or more  including ( 22 years in the SEC)  , the key to winning a lot of games for Arkansas is don't play teams that you do not have more resources than, especially SEC teams.

Remember the fun part of sports is exceeding what others think you are capable of, and  Arkansas has always been pretty good at doing just that.

Never hurts to get outside opinions, so here is one from an outside source that I always check on for this years team:
http://interactive.orlandosentinel.com/countdown/index.html

Chief Mac

Wisconsin didn't seem to have problems developing QBs.  His teams AVERAGED 2700 yds through the air during his time at Wisconsin.  Nutt's teams averaged around 2000.

This whole thought that he is the second coming of Nutt (except with coaching ability) is absolutely ridiculous
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on May 22, 2014, 10:39:28 am
Wisconsin didn't seem to have problems developing QBs.  His teams AVERAGED 2700 yds through the air during his time at Wisconsin.  Nutt's teams averaged around 2000.

This whole thought that he is the second coming of Nutt (except with coaching ability) is absolutely ridiculous

Chris, forgive Led. If he doesn't have his prune juice and meds each morning then he feels the end of the world is near.  ;)

LR54

These HDN comparisons have turned into some kind of Hogville urban myth.

The year before CBB took over as DC at Wisconsin, they had a defense ranked at #52. His first year, they finished ranked #7 nationally.

His first year as HC, his defense was ranked #3.

2011, #6. 2012, #20.

He had some of the best O-lines in college football at Wisconsin. Judging from his recruiting so far, there's no reason to think that a Bielema/Chaney/Pittman O-line won't be at least top 3 in the SEC.

Arkansas was 3rd in the SEC in rushing ypg last year with 2 true freshmen on the OL, a true freshmen RB, and a sophomore RB with almost no experience. As long as CBB is here, there's no reason to think we won't have at least a top 3 SEC running game.

Signing / developing QBs? Tolzien was a 2 star QB that ended up winning the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award his senior year. He finished ranked #4 in passer rating and #1 in completion percentage. At Wisconsin, CBB had more passing yards than rushing yards in 4 out of 7 years. 

CBB convinced Russell Wilson to sign with him instead of becoming Can Newton's replacement for Malzahn/Auburn.

Between CBB and Chaney, they have 2 Superbowl winners in Wilson and Brees. The QBs they coached that made it to the NFL include - Wilson, Bray, Tolzien, Painter, Orton, and Brees. And before anybody tunes up about Chaney not being a QB coach. When you put nearly every QB you've coached into the NFL, that's more than just a coincidence.   

LZH

Ya'll can cry "Brandon Allen was hurt last year" all you want to.  Hey, I took up for the kid, too (still do).  But if you think for one second that BA would have had the poor season he had last year if BP had been coaching him, you're dreaming.

When I say BB can't/won't develop or sign QB's, etc.....I really mean whoever he has on staff as OC or QB coach.  Because there's no arguing that BB doesn't coach QB's whatsoever.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2014, 11:44:27 am
Ya'll can cry "Brandon Allen was hurt last year" all you want to.  Hey, I took up for the kid, too (still do).  But if you think for one second that BA would have had the poor season he had last year if BP had been coaching him, you're dreaming.

When I say BB can't/won't develop or sign QB's, etc.....I really mean whoever he has on staff as OC or QB coach.  Because there's no arguing that BB doesn't coach QB's whatsoever.

So your claim is that no matter what, no matter who he hires, whether they are a world class QB coach or not, there's no chance we will ever have a good QB?  And you're serious? 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2014, 11:44:27 am

Prune juice and meds.  ;D

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 22, 2014, 11:51:31 am
So your claim is that no matter what, no matter who he hires, whether they are a world class QB coach or not, there's no chance we will ever have a good QB?  And you're serious? 

For the record, I never said he'll never have a good QB.  And no, I'm not convinced at all that a 'world class' QB coach would wanna work for BB.  It's more of a matter of confidence (or lack of) in him than anything. 

This time last year, I thought Chaney was the real deal...but he looked more Sun Belt than SEC, so maybe I was wrong about him.

The only way I see an All-SEC type QB here with BB as head coach is if a local kid like Storey pans out big-time, or BB runs Chaney off and takes a chance on a young, up-and-comer similar to what Gus was six or seven years ago, and he pans out.