Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 5 year plan

Started by AFWarrior83, May 16, 2014, 05:31:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 17, 2014, 01:07:41 pm
Spurrier is an innovator..while at FL at least. Now he does whatever will win games based on his personnel- like most great coaches. CBBs record in the big 10 has been broken down many times. Not a lot of success against the traditional powers...pummels the weak schools.

Dude...you just CLEARLY described exactly what happened under BP.  How can you NOT see that?  We beat the people we were supposed to beat, sometimes narrowly, and lost to the ones we were supposed to lose to.  The POWER programs.  He did beat LSU twice, and we beat UGA once.  Outside of that...ALL losses to the power programs in the conference.  Fla?  Nope.  Bama.  Nope. 

But...you want to hold it against BB that the OTHER schools were on probation?  Makes perfect sense.  Heck...let's be one of those schools so that when we finally get the right mix of players, we'll be on probation for screwing up. 

Geez...it's like talking to a brick wall sometimes with you.  You'd walk a mile out of the way just to avoid anything optimistic. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Peter Porker

Like I said, he has no problem with how Booby built his record at Louisville.

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 17, 2014, 01:25:30 pm
You didn't mind it when Booby made his record on beating Kentucky, Syracuse,  UTEP, Temple, Army, Tulane, ECU, Houston, Cincinnati,  Kentucky,  Army, UNC, ECU, USF, Memphis, TCU, Houston,  Cincinnati,  Tulane, Boise State (ranked), Kentucky,  Oregon State,  FAU, UNC, Cincinnati,  Pitt, Rutgers,  UCONN, Kentucky,  Temple,  Miami (fl) (ranked), Kansas State,  MTSU, Cincinnati,  Syracuse,  WVU (ranked), USF, Pitt, UCONN,  Wake Forest (ranked) 4 ranked teams in 4 years.

His losses USF (unranked), TCU, Memphis (unranked), Miami (oh), USF (unranked), WVU (unranked), VaTech, Rutgers
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 17, 2014, 01:27:28 pm
Dude...you just CLEARLY described exactly what happened under BP.  How can you NOT see that?  We beat the people we were supposed to beat, sometimes narrowly, and lost to the ones we were supposed to lose to.  The POWER programs.  He did beat LSU twice, and we beat UGA once.  Outside of that...ALL losses to the power programs in the conference.  Fla?  Nope.  Bama.  Nope. 

But...you want to hold it against BB that the OTHER schools were on probation?  Makes perfect sense.  Heck...let's be one of those schools so that when we finally get the right mix of players, we'll be on probation for screwing up. 

Geez...it's like talking to a brick wall sometimes with you.  You'd walk a mile out of the way just to avoid anything optimistic.
I've pointed this out many times to people and they just still don't get it.

The notion that Bielema didn't have success against traditional powers may be accurate early on in his Wisconsin career, but you don't get to Rose Bowls by losing big games. In 2010, they went 11-1 in the regular season, losing to Michigan St. They then proceeded to curb stomp #1 Ohio St, took care of business on the road against #1 Iowa the next week, and obliterated their last four opponents including Michigan on the road.

In 2011, they lost two games to Hail Mary's against Michigan St and Ohio State but as the season played out, they could still go to the B1G title game if they beat Penn St in their last regular season matchup. And they did. And they went to the B1G title game. And they beat Michigan St in a rematch.

And in neither of those two years were any of the teams in the B1G on probation. Those titles were won fair and square.

And finally, in 2012, even though they limped unranked into the title game because Penn St and Ohio St were on probation, they still pummeled #14 Nebraska 70-31 to get to the Rose Bowl again.

So how is that "not having success against the traditional powers?" If he beat all the "traditional" powers with regularity, he would have won the conference every year. Is that what people are mad at? That he only won three conference titles in seven years? That he didn't win the conference in his first few years as a head coach when he was 36 years old? If Bielema stepped in to the Big Ten as a 36-year old head coach and started whipping up on Jim Tressel and Lloyd Carr, he wouldn't have been at Wisconsin very long.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Chief Mac

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 17, 2014, 01:27:28 pm

none of the ones that pine for Petrino yet bash Bielema see the hypocrisy in their thought process
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 17, 2014, 01:14:57 pm
You think he'll walk away from buyout money? Seriously?

No I was just yanking your chain.  ;)

I would not be surprised if he walked away from the money. When you come from his meager background and have the money he has now the emphasis on grabbing every dollar you can is not as important. Some people simply don't put a lot of emphasis on money.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Wowgohogs

I think BB going winless in the SEC already cost him some of the fans - barring a turnaround that is just not that likely to happen.  These folks had it in their head - right or wrong - that the JLS debacle had been endured to give JL time to find a great (not just good) hire and JL brings big $ to the table and we get this guy and it was all PRECISELY to avoid what happened last year. 

Wowgohogs

BB sure seemed to like the money when the deal was being worked out, Chi.  I just don't find your reasoning to be very convincing.

Pickwick Hog

My 5 year plan is to watch and laugh at the anti-Bielema faction for another 4 years. Cause he ain't going anywhere between now and then despite all the wasted breath and bandwidth.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Wowgohogs on May 17, 2014, 02:22:15 pm
I think BB going winless in the SEC already cost him some of the fans - barring a turnaround that is just not that likely to happen.  These folks had it in their head - right or wrong - that the JLS debacle had been endured to give JL time to find a great (not just good) hire and JL brings big $ to the table and we get this guy and it was all PRECISELY to avoid what happened last year.

The decision to hire BB was not to avoid anything. It was to build something.
This is my non-signature signature.

ChitownHawg

Then people were fooling themselves. I didn't expect to go winless in conference, but I also didn't expect to win 4+ conference games either. When you look at the games we were very close in several conference games. New coaches working a new system with new players and that is a recipe for not winning the close ones.

Even CBB acknowledges their sideline communications amongst the coaches as not as good as it should be. He took measures in the off season to tackle that problem.

But if people thought a coach was going to walk in here in year one and come out with 7 or 8 wins then they only have themselves to blame for the disappointment.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Wowgohogs

I didn't say it was right - just that it is what it is.   

Wowgohogs

LSU was not that close - talk.about fooling yourself.

Their back-up QB throws and runs like a Heismann commercial to score and then we get the ball and our QB gets sacked for a fumble. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wowgohogs on May 17, 2014, 02:28:23 pm
I didn't say it was right - just that it is what it is.

Sorry my apologies as I thought that was what you were thinking. Sorry about that.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on May 17, 2014, 02:25:01 pm
My 5 year plan is to watch and laugh at the anti-Bielema faction for another 4 years. Cause he ain't going anywhere between now and then despite all the wasted breath and bandwidth.

Co-sign.

Wowgohogs

And don't tell me here that anyone was surprised -

Wowgohogs

Interesting that your 5 year plan only mentions watching anti-BB fans and laughing.  Does not appear to include watching Hogs win games.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wowgohogs on May 17, 2014, 02:34:15 pm
Interesting that your 5 year plan only mentions watching anti-BB fans and laughing.  Does not appear to include watching Hogs win games.

Nah... He is simple folk and easy to please as just watching them is enough. No need for wins.  ;D

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on May 17, 2014, 02:25:01 pm

If he shows progress each year, you won't have anyone to laugh at.

If we are barely bowl eligible year 4 and 5, I doubt you'll be laughing either.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Pickwick Hog

In almost 50 years losing has never prevented me from watching or supporting the Hogs. Why should it now?
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Notshavin on May 17, 2014, 02:38:06 pm
If he shows progress each year, you won't have anyone to laugh at.

If we are barely bowl eligible year 4 and 5, I doubt you'll be laughing either.

Shannon, we both know that there are some who will complain if we go 9-3 or 10-2.  Then there are those who will belittle the record and find reasons to minimize the accomplishment.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

WilsonHog

Quote from: Wowgohogs on May 17, 2014, 02:34:15 pm

Of course it includes watching us win games - and every time we do, it will also include me sticking both of my middle fingers in the face of people like you.

I figure it pretty simply - a fan is either (a) with the coaches and players, or (b) against the coaches and players.

I choose to be (a).

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" WILSON on May 17, 2014, 02:45:26 pm
Shannon, we both know that there are some who will complain if we go 9-3 or 10-2.  Then there are those who will belittle the record and find reasons to minimize the accomplishment.

I agree.  But that will be a much smaller fringe group than exists right now.  IMO, just some good SEC wins will go a long way.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Chief Mac

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 17, 2014, 02:46:57 pm
Of course it includes watching us win games - and every time we do, it will also include me sticking both of my middle fingers in the face of people like you.

I figure it pretty simply - a fan is either (a) with the coaches and players, or (b) against the coaches and players.

I choose to be (a).

I dig this post! 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Jek Tono Porkins

When Petrino decided to hire a blonde into the athletic department and wreck his bike with her on the back in April, the board was already set. Long couldn't hire a long-term head coach in April and interim coaches never work out, but that's the hand he was dealt. At that point you just have to wait it out and get the best coach you can to build the program back up.

Jamie Jones

Most of the Bret haters were spoilded by the back to back 10 win seasons that Bob put up prior to his implosion. They wanted to keep him because he was the only coach, in their minds, that could get it done at Arkansas. But this is what reality has to say, he lived up to his reputation as an offensive football guru that eventually would be gone from the Hill, in some fashion. Whether that was a personal downfall or a better coaching gig, he was eventually going to leave. Bret is our coach now. He came with no preceding notorious reputation. He was a proven winner. He was and is widely considered a top level coach. And despite what some on here think of him and no matter how bad they want to live in the past, Bret is going to be here for a long time. If that bothers you, don't try to cover it with rhetoric that you hope that he proves you wrong. Just hold on to your convictions or better yet try to enjoy life that some football coach and a bunch of 18-22 year olds, playing a game, really should have no control over.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Wowgohogs

LOL Notshavin - you got that right.  Still losing in year 4 or 5 and none of us will be laughing - at least not unless we're crazy at that point.

Wants2Win

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 17, 2014, 01:40:20 pm
Like I said, he has no problem with how Booby built his record at Louisville.
Ahh yes the powerhouse football school Louisville. CBP won here. CBB is getting his chance. He is literally off to the worst possible start. Wait until BA is benched 3-4 games in. Won't be pretty.

Wants2Win

Quote from: ReddieHawg on May 17, 2014, 03:03:53 pm
When Petrino decided to hire a blonde into the athletic department and wreck his bike with her on the back in April, the board was already set. Long couldn't hire a long-term head coach in April and interim coaches never work out, but that's the hand he was dealt. At that point you just have to wait it out and get the best coach you can to build the program back up.
Lets nuke the program because coach hired his mistress into some pedestrian position in the athletic department. What could possibly go wrong?

Wants2Win

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 17, 2014, 02:46:57 pm

I choose to be (a).
Does running down the talent level on the team count as group a or b?

PonderinHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 17, 2014, 02:17:23 pm
No I was just yanking your chain.  ;)

I would not be surprised if he walked away from the money. When you come from his meager background and have the money he has now the emphasis on grabbing every dollar you can is not as important. Some people simply don't put a lot of emphasis on money.
The thing about making that kind of money is that people get used to it and don't want to go back to their old ways.  If CBB totally bombs out here (big IF) his coaching days me very well be over or his earning potential will undoubtedly be compromised.  If he's asked to leave, he'll rightfully take the money and move on down the line.  If he decides to leave at any time, the buyout is a non-factor.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 17, 2014, 03:22:35 pm
The thing about making that kind of money is that people get used to it and don't want to go back to their old ways.  If CBB totally bombs out here (big IF) his coaching days me very well be over or his earning potential will undoubtedly be compromised.  If he's asked to leave, he'll rightfully take the money and move on down the line.  If he decides to leave at any time, the buyout is a non-factor.

You could very well be right.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 17, 2014, 03:22:26 pm
Does running down the talent level on the team count as group a or b?

You have your very own group.   ;)

PonderinHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 17, 2014, 03:26:21 pm
You could very well be right.
It's one helluva catastrophic insurance policy.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 17, 2014, 03:20:57 pm
Lets nuke the program because coach hired his mistress into some pedestrian position in the athletic department. What could possibly go wrong?

You know very well CBP pushed the nuke button as he thought he was invincible.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 17, 2014, 03:20:57 pm
God, just shut the hell up already. There are countless other threads from the past two years where you have made this comment and ignored every post that concisely explained why the decision had to be made. Go troll those threads again. Leave this one alone. Just one.

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: ReddieHawg on May 17, 2014, 03:30:14 pm
God, just shut the hell up already. There are countless other threads from the past two years where you have made this comment and ignored every post that concisely explained why the decision had to be made. Go troll those threads again. Leave this one alone. Just one.

He HAS to be on borrowed time. Flat out ruining this board single handedly.

AFWarrior83

This thread really took off...

What I'd like to know is are you willing to give CBB 5 years? This is what I expect the next 4-5 years record wise based off a 12 game schedule:

3-9
6-6
9-3
7-5
11-1

And top 25 recruiting classes annually starting this year.
Hogville member since 2005.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on May 17, 2014, 03:42:50 pm

What I'd like to know is are you willing to give CBB 5 years? This is what I expect the next 4-5 years record wise based off a 12 game schedule:

3-9
6-6
9-3
7-5
11-1

I can live with this.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on May 17, 2014, 02:44:58 pm
In almost 50 years losing has never prevented me from watching or supporting the Hogs. Why should it now?

Amen.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Wowgohogs

What basis in reality could there be in possibly predicting W's and L's in year 4 or 5?   Just predict we will win two NC's in a row and go all in.

I

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Wowgohogs on May 17, 2014, 04:11:09 pm
What basis in reality could there be in possibly predicting W's and L's in year 4 or 5?   Just predict we will win two NC's in a row and go all in.

I

It's no different than people predicting he will fail in year 3,4, or 5.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wowgohogs on May 17, 2014, 04:11:09 pm

I

I see you are having a hard time with the concept of a message board.  ;D

Pork Twain

3-9
6-6
9-3
7-5
11-1

Hell I really enjoyed less than this under HDN.  That yearly promise of opening up the passing attack really strung me along
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Ironhawg

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" WILSON on May 17, 2014, 02:45:26 pm

This is the part that I seriously just do not get.  I will be doing back flips!

Großer Kriegschwein

3-9
6-6
9-3
7-5
11-1

Solid +1
This is my non-signature signature.