Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 5 year plan

Started by AFWarrior83, May 16, 2014, 05:31:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

To the extent that the fan base is split, that's a creation of message boards, especially as the newness of the boards wore off. They have become places not for discussion, but for argument. Log on and take a side.

Here's the straight of it. I could log off tonight and stay off for 60 days. You know what I would miss?

Nothing, unless you classify having the exact same discussion with the exact same people for 60 days as "something."

I could log in on August 16 and pick up the discussion right where it is now.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 16, 2014, 09:18:57 pm
To the extent that the fan base is split, that's a creation of message boards.

&

I could log in on August 16 and pick up the discussion right where it is now.

Wilson. That is brilliant brother. I did the same thing after signing day. Stayed off for a month. Great month.

The fans are not divided. I agree. A few are disgruntled.
This is my non-signature signature.

Pork Twain

Quote from: LZH on May 16, 2014, 08:46:53 pm
Do you not see the makings of another one around the corner?
Nope and I think the only ones finding it are ones that are looking for it in every move
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Steef

Quote from: LZH on May 16, 2014, 08:46:53 pm
Do you not see the makings of another one around the corner?

Actually, for Arkansas' fanbase to be spilt apart, on a scale that Nutt did it to us, we would have to be together again first.

imo...we are not, nor have we been unified as a fanbase since 2006.

We had the huggers hold out for most of Bobbys time. The bike wreck, of course. The Gus faction really grew then. As did the Butch contingent. And the anti - John's.  And the anti-Jeffs. And now the anti-Brets.

Most of those groups still have active members.

But email gate taught us to be angry first. Shoot, I was a LOUD darksider!

I'm just weary of being mad all the time. Weary of people who like to be. Wish I could just relax with ANYONE who loves a Hog.

Some are not content to do that any more. There are people who feel a need to remind us all daily, that we lost 9 football games last season.

Like anyone is gonna forget soon.

Bottom line, it's only a game.

I don't know you personally,  though we have disagreed many times on here. But if we parked next to each other at a game and set up chairs, we would probably get along fine, looking forward to kick off together.

This forum COULD be like that. It is...whatever we make it. It could be a year round tailgate.

Instead, it's war.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 16, 2014, 09:16:43 am
These guys conveniently overlook the point that most sports journalists were applauding the hire, and stating it was the most logical hire for the timing of it. No one was saying JLSw as the long term solution. No one expected JLS to set the world on fire, but they didn't expect the dumpster fire either. People simply felt CBP had hired great assistants.

Hind sight let's these guys howl a bit. Now go an ask them who they would hire? They don't have an answer. Some will we should have reprimanded CBP, but that has been refuted by CBP not accepting a reprimand.

This same type of logic floods our court system with unmerited lawsuits. There is not solid argument or solution on their part when it comes to the JLS hire?
JLS turned out to be a disaster. But I'm really not convinced that anyone could have come into that situation and lit the world on fire. Those players were in shock. The program was in chaos. It was a bad situation all around.

Pork Twain

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 16, 2014, 10:14:27 pm
JLS turned out to be a disaster. But I'm really not convinced that anyone could have come into that situation and lit the world on fire. Those players were in shock. The program was in chaos. It was a bad situation all around.
I said it back then, April was probably the worst time to be looking for a coach.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ChauvinistPig

Quote from: MJ2 on May 16, 2014, 08:14:42 am
5 years isn't unreasonable if steady progress is shown.   In todays world, that's normally not the case.   I do think the So Carolina fan base is much more devoted than AR and they tend to buy tickets and come to games regardless of the record.   Here, there is a noticeable drop off in attendance when games are being lost.

Uh I remember us kicking their butt at their place a few years ago and the stands were starting to empty in the third. By the middle of the fourth, it was just hog fans in there. It was a beautiful sight. Spurrier was extra twitchy in his interviews after. So their fans were not "more devoted" on that day...

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on May 16, 2014, 09:11:44 pm
I don't think there was any real HDN split in his popularity in his first couple of years, either.  However, if BB doesn't make it to a bowl again this year (which is extremely likely), then we'll start to see many of his early supporters begin to sneak under the fence when no one else is looking.  That way, if he fails to go bowling in year three, we'll have a full-fledged Beliema war on our hands.  And with the exception of the mess Nutt made over the Springdale 5, the BB mudslinging fest could get just as nasty.

Led, I think because of the HDN conflict this will prevent that type of episode from happening again. Many at the time clung to HDN because of the fear we could go back to the Ford, Crowe, and Kines days. Some probably even thought this was the best we could do.

Eventually most saw the light and the fan revolt was in full swing. CBP came in and won. He showed people this is how a football mind works and this is how to win. Then a weird accident and the forthcoming ego trip derailed that train.

Today fans know they don't have to have blind faith in a coach and that we can win. If CBB shows no or limited improvement then he will lose some fan support. If in 2015 shows no or limited improvement he will lose even more fan support. I believe he will even begin to lose members of the BOT and big time donors. If it is not turned by 2016 then there will be a buyout.

Or my guess is knowing CBB's character if he isn't getting it done by 2016 he will resign without the buyout. So HDN's years will keep us from reliving those type of years.

Now it is my opinion we will see improvement on the field and in the win column in 2014. I am predicting 6 wins and a minor bowl. If there is visible improvement on the field but not the 6 wins then I will be ok with this. Not happy but still supporting the team. It simply will put more emphasis on wins in 2015.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 17, 2014, 05:06:22 am
Today fans know they don't have to have blind faith in a coach and that we can win. If CBB shows no or limited improvement then he will lose some fan support. If in 2015 shows no or limited improvement he will lose even more fan support. I believe he will even begin to lose members of the BOT and big time donors. If it is not turned by 2016 then there will be a buyout.

Or my guess is knowing CBB's character if he isn't getting it done by 2016 he will resign without the buyout. So HDN's years will keep us from reliving those type of years.

Now it is my opinion we will see improvement on the field and in the win column in 2014. I am predicting 6 wins and a minor bowl. If there is visible improvement on the field but not the 6 wins then I will be ok with this. Not happy but still supporting the team. It simply will put more emphasis on wins in 2015.

When I first heard the terms of the Buy Out, I thought that it was a little crazy. I mean, I ws thinking, what IF he isn't successful? I have always thought that if everyone who matters could be patient enough to allow him to build his team, that Bielema would be successful here at Arkansas.

But then I started wondering, who was it that wanted this Buy Out to be structured so high and what would their motives have been?

Was it Jeff Long because he had total faith in Bielema being successful and he didn't want to have to replace another staff if another school came knocking? This would make sense because it would tend to keep the interest of other schools at bay due to the big bucks that they would have to pay to get Bielema.

Or, was it Bielema because (even though he said that he didn't pre-evaluate this team) he actually knew what he was in for and wanted to make sure that he was given a full five years to rebuild (just in case he needed it) the program? This too, makes sense and maybe more sense than the Jeff Long theory.

And this isn't about whether we had talent on hand when he arrived or not, it is more about a total transformation from a team that was built to finesse on offense and little emphasis on defense, to a bigger, stronger team with a more steady, "beat you up" approach on offense and much more emphasis on quality defense. That's basically doing a 180 in terms of philosophy.

It's just my opinion, but the more I think about it, the more I think that Bielema knew what a challenge this would be and he wanted to make sure that he was going to be given the time to get it done. All that being said, Jeff Long, with the approval of this Buy Out, has pretty much put all of his chips on Bielema's success, so he better hope that Bielema gets it done.
Go Hogs Go!

BorderPatrol

Quote from: dkwvike on May 16, 2014, 01:12:27 pm
If you men want to ever have a real debate or thread that doesn't turn into a passive aggressive personality disorder(a disorder dominated by women) thread, you're going to have to stop with the just, "win fans",  Steef you set the tone to derail the OP thread. Stop the silliness. Not everyone is going to agree with you or me, that's why this is a message board for ideas. I am sure Lanny is sick of this crap. I don't even post much here on MMQB, because of the little girl games.
I think 5yrs is fine with improvements, yep I want to win, or let's stop keeping score and give trophies to everyone. I don't dislike coach B, I just want to see him improve, and improve I think he will.
I bet I am not a fan now, Huh?

You obviously have not been around these parts in a while.

Pay attention for a little and you will understand what Steef was talking about.

bp

Al Boarland

Quote from: mrdavis on May 16, 2014, 06:27:37 pm
I believe that Bielema is a better coach than Petrino all around.  I would pick him over Petrino.  I think Bielema is doing an incredible job at addressing the issues needed.  He also has brought in a really good staff.  I also think he is a better recruiter.

Yes,  Petrino won for two years here.  But as it's already been said,  he had some players that were perfect for his system fall into his lap.

Not even Saban could have saved us last year.  And don't mention Gus either.  Until Gus has won 3 big ten championships,  has the winning record Bielema does,  and has drafted even close to as many players to the NFL - he is not a better coach.

One thing is certain. Gus won't be wining 3 Big 10 championships.

Capt. Hamm

Only time will tell. If he gets the time. I think by year 4 we should know if he is getting it done. I for one think he will be doing a good job! Go Hogs!

LZH

Quote from: steefhog on May 16, 2014, 10:07:57 pm
Actually, for Arkansas' fanbase to be spilt apart, on a scale that Nutt did it to us, we would have to be together again first.

imo...we are not, nor have we been unified as a fanbase since 2006.

We had the huggers hold out for most of Bobbys time. The bike wreck, of course. The Gus faction really grew then. As did the Butch contingent. And the anti - John's.  And the anti-Jeffs. And now the anti-Brets.

Most of those groups still have active members.

But email gate taught us to be angry first. Shoot, I was a LOUD darksider!

I'm just weary of being mad all the time. Weary of people who like to be. Wish I could just relax with ANYONE who loves a Hog.

Some are not content to do that any more. There are people who feel a need to remind us all daily, that we lost 9 football games last season.

Like anyone is gonna forget soon.

Bottom line, it's only a game.

I don't know you personally,  though we have disagreed many times on here. But if we parked next to each other at a game and set up chairs, we would probably get along fine, looking forward to kick off together.

This forum COULD be like that. It is...whatever we make it. It could be a year round tailgate.

Instead, it's war.

It isn't war, or at least not to me, so I don't become angry.  But I can get irritated at times whenever I point out something that's glaringly obvious, and not five minutes later the BB apologist crowd weighs in at full volume reminding me (and a few others) of how ridiculous we are because it's plain to everyone else that we aren't 'real' Razorback fans.

Odd example, but think about this:  I couldn't stand George Bush Jr., and Obama is just as bad as Commander in Chief as he was.  But that doesn't mean that I don't love my country with my very life.  And on the flip side of that, I went to South Carolina on Clinton's campaign trail back in '92, passing out literature and hanging signs and whatnot (hey, I was 24) - but that doesn't mean I wanted stick my face between the cheeks of his rear end and kiss his butt.  So my point is, why is it no longer possible for Razorback fans to dearly love the program but not the coach?  Who decreed that it must be both or neither?

And if we parked next to each other at a Hog game, steef, I sure hope you can hold your alcohol.  That way you can help carry me into the stadium and find my seat.

Steef

Quote from: LZH on May 17, 2014, 09:31:51 am
It isn't war, or at least not to me, so I don't become angry.  But I can get irritated at times whenever I point out something that's glaringly obvious, and not five minutes later the BB apologist crowd weighs in at full volume reminding me (and a few others) of how ridiculous we are because it's plain to everyone else that we aren't 'real' Razorback fans.

Odd example, but think about this:  I couldn't stand George Bush Jr., and Obama is just as bad as Commander in Chief as he was.  But that doesn't mean that I don't love my country with my very life.  And on the flip side of that, I went to South Carolina on Clinton's campaign trail back in '92, passing out literature and hanging signs and whatnot (hey, I was 24) - but that doesn't mean I wanted stick my face between the cheeks of his rear end and kiss his butt.  So my point is, why is it no longer possible for Razorback fans to dearly love the program but not the coach?  Who decreed that it must be both or neither?

And if we parked next to each other at a Hog game, steef, I sure hope you can hold your alcohol.  That way you can help carry me into the stadium and find my seat.

Me and my diet Dr Pepper will help you up the steps.

Just don't barf on my lucky Hog sweatshirt. ;)

LZH

Quote from: steefhog on May 17, 2014, 09:41:40 am
Me and my diet Dr Pepper will help you up the steps.

Just don't barf on my lucky Hog sweatshirt. ;)

No worries, I usually save that for the romantic part of the evening when me and the little lady get back to the hotel.

Hawgon

May 17, 2014, 10:08:44 am #115 Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:34:17 am by Hawgon
I'm angry about football and our coach, but that said, it is just football.  I'm not angry about other things.  By all rights, my life is pretty danged good right now.  I might get upset about injustice as I see it in our country, but in reality, it hasn't affected me too much so, it is all relative.

But, the abuse on this board is just downright stupid.  Because I haven't bought into BB and don't mind saying it, I've been called stupid, angry, a small little man, and just about everything else you can think of.

For all the talk of the anti-BB guys causing trouble, the bulk of the ill feeling that I can see are the people who feel like they personally have to go out of their respective ways to stamp down any dissenters.  Well, to heck with you.  I live to dissent.  I measure if I'm right about a subject by how many people disagree.  Given the state of this country today, if I am in the minority, particularly the despised minority, my chances of being right on any issue are astronomically greater.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hawgon on May 17, 2014, 10:08:44 am
I'm angry about football and our coach, but that said, it is just football.  I'm not angry about other things.  By all rights, my life is pretty danged good right now.  I might get upset about injustice as I see it in our country, but in reality, it hasn't affected me too much so, it is all relative.

But, the abuse on this board is just downright stupid.  Because I haven't bought into BB and don't mind saying it, I've been called stupid, angry, a small little man, and just about everything else you can think of.

For all the talk of the anti-BB guys causing trouble, the bulk of the ill feeling that I can see are the people who feel like they personally have to go out of their respective ways to stamp down any dissenters.  Well, to heck with you.  I live to dissent.  I measure if I'm right about a subject by how many people disagree.  Given the state of this country today, if I in the minority, particularly the despised minority, my chances of being right on any issue are astronomically greater.
I actually agree with you on several topics, especially in another forum.  As far as this one is concerned, it's just too damn early to tell, IMO.  Hope is a good thing...

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hawgon on May 17, 2014, 10:08:44 am

For all the talk of the anti-BB guys causing trouble, the bulk of the ill feeling that I can see are the people who feel like they personally have to go out of their respective ways to stamp down any dissenters.  Well, to heck with you.  I live to dissent.  I measure if I'm right about a subject by how many people disagree.  Given the state of this country today, if I in the minority, particularly the despised minority, my chances of being right on any issue are astronomically greater.

Hawgon, I will say this your postings have been a lot better the last few months. I use to find your posts to be antagonistic, but pretty straight forward now. Either that or I am getting accustom to it.  ;D

I try not to call anyone names but sometimes... Which is my bad. My feeling is there are 5 name callers on the anti CBB group and about 4 on the pro CBB group. Give or take 4 to 5.

With us all going overboard from time to time.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Wowgohogs

We will see how BB's wins compare to Spurrier's.   Needless to say he had a worst 1st year than Spurrier. 

Hawgon

Quote from: Wowgohogs on May 17, 2014, 11:04:09 am
We will see how BB's wins compare to Spurrier's.   Needless to say he had a worst 1st year than Spurrier.

Which means his next four will need to be better in order to compare favorably.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Hawgon on May 17, 2014, 11:08:45 am
Which means his next four will need to be better in order to compare favorably.

That is the problem with comparing wins with another school.  Too simplistic by far. 
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Hawgon

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" WILSON on May 17, 2014, 11:18:38 am
That is the problem with comparing wins with another school.  Too simplistic by far.

Which was the point of my very first post in this thread.  Of course, you'll note which side started this game of comparisons.

Piggfoot

What is such a disappointment to me as a Razorback fan is the anger expressed or directed at the Razorbacks by people professing to be Razorback fans. I can understand expressing disappointment and perhaps bewilderment at times.
I am not an impatient man nor am I deluded in believing there is an equal recruiting field in the SEC. Some teams will always have an advantage. We can not change our population base. We can develop an advantage if we find an honorable group of men leading the Razorbacks. In my life time I have been disappointed in our leaders. Too often they have turned out to be dishonorable and self serving. If Arkansas is ever to rise and remain in the top echelon of the SEC such men will need to be found and fans will have to give them time to build this program.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hawgon

Honor has nothing to do with college football.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgon on May 17, 2014, 12:04:39 pm

I guess that depends upon your perspective. Whether you are a fan who only cares about winning and getting an ROI for your invested dollars for tickets, or someone who is actually playing or coaching the game and cares about winning as well. There are two sides to this story.
Go Hogs Go!

Piggfoot

In your case words fail me. If you truly believe that honor has nothing to do with the building and maintaining of any organization and as you mentioned earlier
a country I for one would not want a man such as you sharing a fox hole with me and have you covering my back.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Quote from: scootriteby on May 16, 2014, 02:04:54 pm
I'm confused. Is there something wrong with wanting to "Just win?"

yes

you are now at a higher level of confusion

Ironhawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 16, 2014, 09:44:02 am
What evidence do you have that only 35,000 will show up? You simply are desiring to see this happen. Again most BCS coaches consider CBB a good coach. If your desires happen and he is fired - what are the chances of us getting a good coach? Especially when some of the fan base have been against him since day one. Good coaches will see the fan base as being unreasonable and will not come.

Act like a bunch of cellar dweller fans and this is where our team will wind up. The one thing I am happy with is that the powers brokers who are funding this program are probably not of the opinion you are. They probably are like the most of us -  not happy about the last two years. Yet see some positive points.

Keep on cheering for us to end in the cellar and we may never climb out again.

He didn't say he wants it to happen.  He said "Let 35000 show up for a SEC home game at RRS and see if some buttholes don't pucker."  That is not a prediction or even saying he wants it to happen.  It is an observation of a potential outcome if the football team were to do something like go 0-8 in the SEC for a second year in a row.  You've got to admit that another season like last season has the potential to negatively affect attendance.
I would really like to see a little more tolerance for those fans with opinions that differ from your own.  Instead of going into attack mode, how about trying to lift up and encourage those fans who are not as optimistic about the future of Razorback football? 
I have no idea if CBB is going to be successful or not.  It is my hope that he will be.  I believe he is a sincere guy with integrity.  IMHO that is the kind of leader Arkansas football needs.  I fully understand also that his offensive and defensive philosophies are 180 degrees from CBP, so there must be some time to allow for roster change.  Roster change for Arkansas is going to take more than a year or two, so I am preparing myself to be patient. 

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2014, 06:41:26 am
When I first heard the terms of the Buy Out, I thought that it was a little crazy. I mean, I ws thinking, what IF he isn't successful? I have always thought that if everyone who matters could be patient enough to allow him to build his team, that Bielema would be successful here at Arkansas.

But then I started wondering, who was it that wanted this Buy Out to be structured so high and what would their motives have been?

Was it Jeff Long because he had total faith in Bielema being successful and he didn't want to have to replace another staff if another school came knocking? This would make sense because it would tend to keep the interest of other schools at bay due to the big bucks that they would have to pay to get Bielema.

Or, was it Bielema because (even though he said that he didn't pre-evaluate this team) he actually knew what he was in for and wanted to make sure that he was given a full five years to rebuild (just in case he needed it) the program? This too, makes sense and maybe more sense than the Jeff Long theory.

And this isn't about whether we had talent on hand when he arrived or not, it is more about a total transformation from a team that was built to finesse on offense and little emphasis on defense, to a bigger, stronger team with a more steady, "beat you up" approach on offense and much more emphasis on quality defense. That's basically doing a 180 in terms of philosophy.

It's just my opinion, but the more I think about it, the more I think that Bielema knew what a challenge this would be and he wanted to make sure that he was going to be given the time to get it done. All that being said, Jeff Long, with the approval of this Buy Out, has pretty much put all of his chips on Bielema's success, so he better hope that Bielema gets it done.

THIS

and i would add that if he took a job without evaluating the talent (especially considering going 4-8 the year before) then he is pretty stupid and should not be the coach. if he did know and then said he didn't know then he is a liar and should not be the coach. in any event my reaction to this football team is the same as it was under nutt. yawn

exactly JUST WIN BABY

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MrThunderhog on May 16, 2014, 09:37:25 am
I suspect if the 3 major mens sports all continue to win at the rate they are that not only will their respective coachs seats be warm but Jeff Longs will also. Publicly I might add, you know, the people who pay for and support the program.

Let 35000 show up for a SEC home game at RRS and see if some buttholes don't pucker.

I doubt that will ever happen. Not sure why you would even suggest something like this happening.
Go Hogs Go!

10thPlanet

bphi11ips

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on May 16, 2014, 05:31:17 am
Most fans want to give CBB 3-4 years to prove he was the right hire.

I found this article interesting:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spurrier-prepping-life-clowney-214608155--ncaaf.html

Basically it took Spurrier 5 years before he started winning at USC. I also remember Spurrier stating something along the lines of CBB being a good coach, and having to recruit his way out of the mess at Arkansas. I know Arkansas has more tradition than USC, but I'd say CBB came into a situation worse than Spurrier did at USC. The West has been stronger than the East the past decade, and CBB followed CBP (fired) and JLS (interm/temp). I think Spurrier took over for Lou Holtz (retirement) if I'm not mistaken.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think CBB deserves at least 5 years to build his program. He's already shown that he can recruit and hire solid assistants. I believe the wins will come, but it's going to take time. What I'm looking for this year is improvement, which I think we will see.

Been saying five years and using Spurrier as an example since the haters started hating.  That's the runway to a championship contender.  It could happen earlier, but that would gravy.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Wants2Win

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2014, 12:24:32 pm
I doubt that will ever happen. Not sure why you would even suggest something like this happening.
Money is tight. It very well could happen. Hope not.

Wants2Win

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 17, 2014, 12:48:15 pm
Been saying five years and using Spurrier as an example since the haters started hating.  That's the runway to a championship contender.  It could happen earlier, but that would gravy.
Do we really want to compare CBB to the ole ball coach?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 17, 2014, 12:49:34 pm
Money is tight. It very well could happen. Hope not.

A lot of people are experiencing a tight ride right now financially. But a lot of folks budget their tickets as one of their priorities. If they can't afford to commit funds to season tickets or travel to games, it has a lot more to do with their overall financial situation because of the economy, than their desire to be at Hog's home games.
Go Hogs Go!

Wants2Win

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2014, 12:57:47 pm
A lot of people are experiencing a tight ride right now financially. But a lot of folks budget their tickets as one of their priorities. If they can't afford to commit funds to season tickets or travel to games, it has a lot more to do with their overall financial situation because of the economy, than their desire to be at Hog's home games.
I would put a pretty good portion of hog fans in that category.

Chief Mac

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 16, 2014, 03:05:52 pm
Other than the minor success Lou had SC had done NOTHING!  Steve built it like he did FLA slow and steady .  Jeff Pearl Harbored our Program by firing Bobby when he did and by hiring Simile the Clown.

It will take CBB 5 years for sure.

Long didn't sink our program, Petrino did by not being discrete enough in his private life. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 17, 2014, 12:50:41 pm
Do we really want to compare CBB to the ole ball coach?

They approach the game in basically the same way, so yes. 

Bielema won 71% of his games as a head coach prior to becoming the head coach at Arkansas.  He did it in a conference that is probably second only to the SEC. Is he the program builder and taskmaster that Spurrier is?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But those who love to diss Bielema based upon his body of work ignore his record.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 17, 2014, 01:01:11 pm
I would put a pretty good portion of hog fans in that category.

Then it has little to do with how well Arkansas does in terms of wins or losses as much as it has to do with the economy.
Go Hogs Go!

Wowgohogs

Someone mentioned BB being of such high character that if he is not successful he would walk away from the buyout.  Like Nutt did in breaking the bank at Ole Miss for his last couple years?

Like we didn't have to pay JL more money to keep him here?   Integrity.  It ain't cheap.

These guys are not doing this as a hobby or for enjoyment or the pleasure of working with college youfs.

And they sure as heck need ain't gonna walk away from a $.   Sometimes, I think we get a little naive around here.  The program is about winning.

Show me our Morals & Integrity Trophy from 2012.   Yeah - there isn't one given.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 16, 2014, 05:50:16 am
I hate bringing him up, but it didn't take BP five years and we all know who he followed in the footsteps of. We've also had a fair number of players drafted the last two seasons, so let's not act like this team was working with SWAC level talent across the board.

It takes some work to not win a single SEC game. No coach in our SEC history came close to ever "accomplishing" that feat. If close losses because of poor game decisions are what you desire, we've got the perfect coach. His ceiling is 9 wins here and I'll stand by that and hope he proves me wrong. He's not Nutt 2.0 because of his play style. He'll be Nutt 2.0 because of his win-loss record minus the SECCG appearances.

Guy who read two posts into the three page thread and commenting on the third reply here.

Although bielema was terrible in his first year and all the other negatives that we've spoken about, the one thing that has me excited and hopeful about him is his great success in putting players in the pros.  Idk how he does it, but he consistently has so it's not a fluke. I think that's a great starting point for him.

From there he can get better recruits and have them higher in the draft plus get more wins, and from there even better recruits and may I say from there better assistants? :o

MrThunderhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2014, 12:24:32 pm

Im not saying it will happen and truly hope that it doesn't. But eventually fan support will fail if the program doesn't do a quick 180 from where it has been headed lately.

If the football program cant find a way to win some conference games and be more competitive in losses fans will lose interest and stop spending the money it takes for a weekend trip to see a program that is not competitive.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Wants2Win

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 17, 2014, 01:03:20 pm
They approach the game in basically the same way, so yes. 

Bielema won 71% of his games as a head coach prior to becoming the head coach at Arkansas.  He did it in a conference that is probably second only to the SEC. Is he the program builder and taskmaster that Spurrier is?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But those who love to diss Bielema based upon his body of work ignore his record.
Spurrier is an innovator..while at FL at least. Now he does whatever will win games based on his personnel- like most great coaches. CBBs record in the big 10 has been broken down many times. Not a lot of success against the traditional powers...pummels the weak schools.

Wants2Win

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2014, 01:03:50 pm
Then it has little to do with how well Arkansas does in terms of wins or losses as much as it has to do with the economy.
That portion is willing to stretch their budget for a winning product. Not so much for loss after loss.

Wowgohogs

I don't think there is a whole lot of fan equity to be squandered here.  You can't run a train wreck year in and year out - you just cant.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wowgohogs on May 17, 2014, 01:04:12 pm
Someone mentioned BB being of such high character that if he is not successful he would walk away from the buyout.  Like Nutt did in breaking the bank at Ole Miss for his last couple years?

Like we didn't have to pay JL more money to keep him here?   Integrity.  It ain't cheap.

These guys are not doing this as a hobby or for enjoyment or the pleasure of working with college youfs.

And they sure as heck need ain't gonna walk away from a $.   Sometimes, I think we get a little naive around here.  The program is about winning.

Show me our Morals & Integrity Trophy from 2012.   Yeah - there isn't one given.

I would counter with CBP who could have easily said "pay me". I don't know if he would have won or not as I don't have intimate knowledge of the buyout. But he left that money on the table without a fight.

If CBB left after year four then he would have deposited over $12 million plus the money he saved from his Wisconsin job. I don't think if the job goes south he is worried about money. He probably will be preparing for his next move. What better way to impress your future boss by saying "As I did at Arkansas, if I fail I will not insist on the buyout." Many ADs will go for that.

As oppose to trying to get a job after you failed and insisted upon your buyout money. Many ADs would be hesitant to hire that coach.

Wants2Win

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 17, 2014, 01:11:45 pm
I would counter with CBP who could have easily said "pay me". I don't know if he would have won or not as I don't have intimate knowledge of the buyout. But he left that money on the table without a fight.

If CBB left after year four then he would have deposited over $12 million plus the money he saved from his Wisconsin job. I don't think if the job goes south he is worried about money. He probably will be preparing for his next move. What better way to impress your future boss by saying "As I did at Arkansas, if I fail I will not insist on the buyout." Many ADs will go for that.

As oppose to trying to get a job after you failed and insisted upon your buyout money. Many ADs would be hesitant to hire that coach.
You think he'll walk away from buyout money? Seriously?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LZH on May 16, 2014, 09:11:44 pm
I don't think there was any real HDN split in his popularity in his first couple of years, either.  However, if BB doesn't make it to a bowl again this year (which is extremely likely), then we'll start to see many of his early supporters begin to sneak under the fence when no one else is looking.  That way, if he fails to go bowling in year three, we'll have a full-fledged Beliema war on our hands.  And with the exception of the mess Nutt made over the Springdale 5, the BB mudslinging fest could get just as nasty.

Led...you're a level headed poster.  But when I read that, you're making a LOT of assumptions.  First off, I think even the most staunch supporters of the program TODAY, are going to change their tune if we haven't seen some dramatic improvement in year three.  7 wins type of improvement, with a "look" that says we're very close to being even better than that win total. 

But for some reason, on Hogville, if you're even close to feeling like 1 year is not NEARLY enough, and two years is even questionable, then you're painted with the brush that you'll be supporting BB regardless of the outcome.  I have not see ONE POSTER ever say that.  Have you?  I've seen some say that there were more ashes than people think when he got here, and that it may take more than three years...I'll even concede that I think that may be the case.  BUT...minus obvious improvements, I'll stand right where I said I would all along. 

BB would need to go, and they can buy Long's plane ticket right along with him IMO.  BUT...I'm still rational enough to feel like one year, given the dumpster fire he had to correct from just JLS alone, is nowhere near a large enough sample size to judge what will happen long term. 

I get that you hate the Twitter thing, and you think he is a little cocky.  Beyond that...what has you so convinced that he won't pan out as a good coach?  Because lately...you've been WAY OVER on the dark side of things. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 17, 2014, 01:07:41 pm
Spurrier is an innovator..while at FL at least. Now he does whatever will win games based on his personnel- like most great coaches. CBBs record in the big 10 has been broken down many times. Not a lot of success against the traditional powers...pummels the weak schools.

You didn't mind it when Booby made his record on beating Kentucky, Syracuse,  UTEP, Temple, Army, Tulane, ECU, Houston, Cincinnati,  Kentucky,  Army, UNC, ECU, USF, Memphis, TCU, Houston,  Cincinnati,  Tulane, Boise State (ranked), Kentucky,  Oregon State,  FAU, UNC, Cincinnati,  Pitt, Rutgers,  UCONN, Kentucky,  Temple,  Miami (fl) (ranked), Kansas State,  MTSU, Cincinnati,  Syracuse,  WVU (ranked), USF, Pitt, UCONN,  Wake Forest (ranked) 4 ranked teams in 4 years.

His losses USF (unranked), TCU, Memphis (unranked), Miami (oh), USF (unranked), WVU (unranked), VaTech, Rutgers
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.