Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 5 year plan

Started by AFWarrior83, May 16, 2014, 05:31:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AFWarrior83

Most fans want to give CBB 3-4 years to prove he was the right hire.

I found this article interesting:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spurrier-prepping-life-clowney-214608155--ncaaf.html

Basically it took Spurrier 5 years before he started winning at USC. I also remember Spurrier stating something along the lines of CBB being a good coach, and having to recruit his way out of the mess at Arkansas. I know Arkansas has more tradition than USC, but I'd say CBB came into a situation worse than Spurrier did at USC. The West has been stronger than the East the past decade, and CBB followed CBP (fired) and JLS (interm/temp). I think Spurrier took over for Lou Holtz (retirement) if I'm not mistaken.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think CBB deserves at least 5 years to build his program. He's already shown that he can recruit and hire solid assistants. I believe the wins will come, but it's going to take time. What I'm looking for this year is improvement, which I think we will see.
Hogville member since 2005.

Steef

I think the "just win" trolls will probably crucify your thread. But its a decent OP.

+1

3kgthog

I hate bringing him up, but it didn't take BP five years and we all know who he followed in the footsteps of. We've also had a fair number of players drafted the last two seasons, so let's not act like this team was working with SWAC level talent across the board.

It takes some work to not win a single SEC game. No coach in our SEC history came close to ever "accomplishing" that feat. If close losses because of poor game decisions are what you desire, we've got the perfect coach. His ceiling is 9 wins here and I'll stand by that and hope he proves me wrong. He's not Nutt 2.0 because of his play style. He'll be Nutt 2.0 because of his win-loss record minus the SECCG appearances.

blu

I'll give him 5 years if we see improvement and competitiveness. It was obvious the comments from some of the SEC coaches on the talent level here prior to last season were proven correct. Poor game day decisions might turn out better when there is more talent to execute, so to me that jury is still out. We're probably still below avg in the SEC in overall talent.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: steefhog on May 16, 2014, 05:35:05 am
I think the "just win" trolls will probably crucify your thread. But its a decent OP.

+1

It's the win NOW and at all cost I have a problem with. The attitude and thoughts SHOULD be BUILD a winning program.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Steef

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 16, 2014, 05:50:16 am
I hate bringing him up, but it didn't take BP five years and we all know who he followed in the footsteps of. We've also had a fair number of players drafted the last two seasons, so let's not act like this team was working with SWAC level talent across the board.

It takes some work to not win a single SEC game. No coach in our SEC history came close to ever "accomplishing" that feat. If close losses because of poor game decisions are what you desire, we've got the perfect coach. His ceiling is 9 wins here and I'll stand by that and hope he proves me wrong. He's not Nutt 2.0 because of his play style. He'll be Nutt 2.0 because of his win-loss record minus the SECCG appearances.

No one on this board...believes that you hate bringing that up.

Although it is impressive that you managed to get it in on the third post of the thread.

Guys like you are the reason we can no longer have a decent civil conversation on this board. And I am guessing that truth actually makes you happy.

Tick Hog

It takes some work to not win a single SEC game. No coach in our SEC history came close to ever "accomplishing" that feat. If close losses because of poor game decisions are what you desire, we've got the perfect coach. His ceiling is 9 wins here and I'll stand by that and hope he proves me wrong. He's not Nutt 2.0 because of his play style. He'll be Nutt 2.0 because of his win-loss record minus the

Inhogswetrust

Sometimes it takes time and sometimes it doesn't. Different circumstances and dynamics ALWAYS plays a part in how long AND how sustainable.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Next1_04

Quote from: steefhog on May 16, 2014, 06:44:43 am

Guys like you are the reason we can no longer have a decent civil conversation on this board. And I am guessing that truth actually makes you happy.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wants2Win

Why 5? Give him 10...15. Since winning isn't important anymore.

Dropkick

Quote from: steefhog on May 16, 2014, 06:44:43 am

No one on this board...believes that you hate bringing that up.

Although it is impressive that you managed to get it in on the third post of the thread.

Dead on, this is not the board it used to be because of a few of these "fans".

Shorttimer

His ceiling is 9 wins here and I'll stand by that and hope he proves me wrong.
I believe this to be false. I don't think you hope he proves you wrong. Based on your extensive post history, you (and many others) are so invested in Bielema's failure that I don't believe any of you anymore when you include this throw away statement in your posts. There's a vast difference between expressing reasoned doubts about his ability to get it done at Arkansas and consistently injecting anti-Bielema talking points into every thread.

On point, I don't think it will take 5 years to know how Bielema will do here. But it sure will take more than 1.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dropkick on May 16, 2014, 07:14:33 am
It's been a rough couple of years, man.

Steef

Quote from: Shorttimer on May 16, 2014, 07:21:13 am
I believe this to be false. I don't think you hope he proves you wrong. Based on your extensive post history, you (and many others) are so invested in Bielema's failure that I don't believe any of you anymore when you include this throw away statement in your posts. There's a vast difference between expressing reasoned doubts about his ability to get it done at Arkansas and consistently injecting anti-Bielema talking points into every thread.

On point, I don't think it will take 5 years to know how Bielema will do here. But it sure will take more than 1.

+1

WilsonHog

Quote from: steefhog on May 16, 2014, 07:25:43 am
+1

Some of the national media guys have said as recently as last week it's going to take two more recruiting classes.

I suspect if you suggested to Jeff Long that Bret's seat was even so much as warm, you'd get laughed at. Maybe not publicly, but laughed at nonetheless.

ChitownHawg

110% agree with you. No way it will take 5 years.

And the attitude of some fans who pounces on negative sentiment is amazing. Quite honestly I am not sure as a fan base if we deserve a good team. Some of our fans perform at the Kentucky football level, so maybe we need to stay in the cellar.

I know... I know you are being realistic and love the Hogs. I am not speaking of some of the fans who have concerns about CBB yet manage to have a logical reasoned discussion. This is vented toward the ones who blindly ignore previous coaches faults and magnifies our current coach's.

When the coaching world considers CBB a great coach and you treat him this way then why would anyone want to walk into this type of environment?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Großer Kriegschwein

This isn't rocket science. BB will get it done with the staff he has, or will get it done when he hires some new staff. The Defensive coaches seem to be rock solid, the offensive coaches may need some help if we have another bad year.

Cheney- OC/QBs Coach (has a good history, waiting on this year to form my opinion)
Pitman-OL (Keep at ALL costs)
Joel Thomas-Doing good work, retain unless there is something serious I don't know about.
Michael Smith-starting to get some people he can work with (waiting for this year to form my opinion)
Barry Lunney Jr.-Good in-state recruiter, coached up HH decent last year, I say retain unless we have a melt down on in state recruiting.

Bottom line is if there isn't marked improvement in our offensive production or a serious move toward balance, then I think you'll see a change at the QB Coach position at a minimum. How that is implemented depends entirely on the situation (ie...Cheney giving up QB Coaching responisibility to Lunney or something similar) Cheney could go, but that would take some serious philosophy differences between him and BB.
This is my non-signature signature.

Wants2Win

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 16, 2014, 07:44:30 am
Some of the national media guys have said as recently as last week it's going to take two more recruiting classes.

I suspect if you suggested to Jeff Long that Bret's seat was even so much as warm, you'd get laughed at. Maybe not publicly, but laughed at nonetheless.
National media? Who cares?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: blu on May 16, 2014, 06:25:14 am
I'll give him 5 years if we see improvement and competitiveness.

Yes, it's a pretty simple concept.  Do that, and we're good.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Steef

Yeah. At least 2 more. Maybe three or four, before we have true SEC strength throughout our 2 deep.

But I do believe each season from here on out, will show encouraging promise and improvement.

MJ2

5 years isn't unreasonable if steady progress is shown.   In todays world, that's normally not the case.   I do think the So Carolina fan base is much more devoted than AR and they tend to buy tickets and come to games regardless of the record.   Here, there is a noticeable drop off in attendance when games are being lost.

Chief Mac

while Nutt was an idiot, which no one can deny, his last underachieving season was 8-5 and the one before 10-3.  So while Petrino had to step into a messy situation due to the off field antics of Nutt, he did not come into as much of a mess in terms of the overall program.   You know this to be true but hey, what fun would it be to stick with the facts?  Petrino caused the mess you saw last year.  You can cover your ears, eyes, and stomp your feet while screaming "I'm not listening na, na, na!" but it still doesn't change the fact that Petrino put his bike, along with the program, in the ditch on 1 April 2012
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

good retort
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

sowmonella

Quote from: Dropkick on May 16, 2014, 07:14:33 am

Amen to that.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

onebadrubi

BP was able to be blessed with 4 NFL caliber receivers, really 5 (jarius, joe, Greg, Gragg, and DJ) all behind the arm of mallett and some decent Olineman.  It took these kids three years to win with BP.  Bielema was not blessed with that instate crop in his bread butter style of play his first year.  He's working on his third recruiting class just to get to his bread and butter, but either way to compare you have to wait and see what is going to happen in year 3 and 4.  Use some common sense please

onebadrubi

Quote from: steefhog on May 16, 2014, 08:09:12 am
Yeah. At least 2 more. Maybe three or four, before we have true SEC strength throughout our 2 deep.

But I do believe each season from here on out, will show encouraging promise and improvement.

Also agree.  Something people fail to recognize, how well Bielema and staff addressed the entire team in this past recruiting class.  With previous coaches we always would be missing a couple positions in each class, and would have to recruit the next class to get that.  We did not have that problem, not did we take any guys that were head scratchers.  They all appear to be very capable of competing on this team no later than year 2 and 3.  Give us 2-3 more of those classes sprinkled with some Collins/Henry types with a Korliss surprise and we will be rockin!

Hawgon

QuoteBasically it took Spurrier 5 years before he started winning at USC.

Where do you get that?  It took Spurrier five years to win big at South Carolina but he was winning seven and eight games a year before that.  Just look at the article, he won 35 games in five years.  That is seven games a year.  We won three last year.  For Bielema to do as well as Spurrier did over his first five years, he will have to hit eight wins a year for the next four years.  I promise you that if Bielema does that, he will get his five years at Arkansas.

But, please, let's stop with all the "...it took so and so a long time to win at ___________" threads in order to make excuses for BB.  BB won three games last year and no conference games.  That is pretty much unmatched futility at Arkansas.

Wants2Win

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on May 16, 2014, 08:18:48 am
while Nutt was an idiot, which no one can deny, his last underachieving season was 8-5 and the one before 10-3.  So while Petrino had to step into a messy situation due to the off field antics of Nutt, he did not come into as much of a mess in terms of the overall program.   You know this to be true but hey, what fun would it be to stick with the facts?  Petrino caused the mess you saw last year.  You can cover your ears, eyes, and stomp your feet while screaming "I'm not listening na, na, na!" but it still doesn't change the fact that Petrino put his bike, along with the program, in the ditch on 1 April 2012
Jeff Long deserves no blame for hiring smile?... Or do you just choose to leave that wasted year out?

Hawgon

Spurrier's wins at South Carolina for the first five years:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hawgon on May 16, 2014, 08:34:08 am

But, please, let's stop with all the "...it took so and so a long time to win at ___________" threads in order to make excuses for BB.  BB won three games last year and no conference games.

This I agree with and all of the threads that come at this from the opposite direction as well. We don't have the power to get CBB fired. As some had said before the Nutt firing has made some fans think they can control the Athletic Dept. when reality is you cannot.

CBB is here. Last year didn't go the way ANYONE wanted, but there was some hope. We have a running game which has added another dynamic back to it. The defense showed some hope during the Spring as well.

CBB's situation cannot be compared to Spurrier nor CBP. As Hawgon said - let's just stop with all of these posts about why CBB needs 5 years or why he will fail. Well said Hawgon.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 16, 2014, 08:45:07 am
Jeff Long deserves no blame for hiring smile?... Or do you just choose to leave that wasted year out?

Hiring a coach in late spring isn't easy if you want a quality hire. Maybe Butch Davis? But after the Petrino debacle would you want Butch after the fiasco (in which he was ultimately cleared) in North Carolina? Who knows if Butch would have even taken the job even if his contract buyout wasn't so restrictive.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on May 16, 2014, 09:11:00 am
Hiring a coach in late spring isn't easy if you want a quality hire. Maybe Butch Davis? But after the Petrino debacle would you want Butch after the fiasco (in which he was ultimately cleared) in North Carolina? Who knows if Butch would have even taken the job even if his contract buyout wasn't so restrictive.

These guys conveniently overlook the point that most sports journalists were applauding the hire, and stating it was the most logical hire for the timing of it. No one was saying JLSw as the long term solution. No one expected JLS to set the world on fire, but they didn't expect the dumpster fire either. People simply felt CBP had hired great assistants.

Hind sight let's these guys howl a bit. Now go an ask them who they would hire? They don't have an answer. Some will we should have reprimanded CBP, but that has been refuted by CBP not accepting a reprimand.

This same type of logic floods our court system with unmerited lawsuits. There is not solid argument or solution on their part when it comes to the JLS hire?

MrThunderhog

I suspect if the 3 major mens sports all continue to win at the rate they are that not only will their respective coachs seats be warm but Jeff Longs will also. Publicly I might add, you know, the people who pay for and support the program.

Let 35000 show up for a SEC home game at RRS and see if some buttholes don't pucker.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: MrThunderhog on May 16, 2014, 09:37:25 am
I suspect if the 3 major mens sports all continue to win at the rate they are that not only will their respective coachs seats be warm but Jeff Longs will also. Publicly I might add, you know, the people who pay for and support the program.

Let 35000 show up for a SEC home game at RRS and see if some buttholes don't pucker.

Won't happen

ChitownHawg

What evidence do you have that only 35,000 will show up? You simply are desiring to see this happen. Again most BCS coaches consider CBB a good coach. If your desires happen and he is fired - what are the chances of us getting a good coach? Especially when some of the fan base have been against him since day one. Good coaches will see the fan base as being unreasonable and will not come.

Act like a bunch of cellar dweller fans and this is where our team will wind up. The one thing I am happy with is that the powers brokers who are funding this program are probably not of the opinion you are. They probably are like the most of us -  not happy about the last two years. Yet see some positive points.

Keep on cheering for us to end in the cellar and we may never climb out again.

MrThunderhog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on May 16, 2014, 09:42:18 am
Won't happen
Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 16, 2014, 09:44:02 am
What evidence do you have that only 35,000 will show up? You simply are desiring to see this happen. Again most BCS coaches consider CBB a good coach. If your desires happen and he is fired - what are the chances of us getting a good coach? Especially when some of the fan base have been against him since day one. Good coaches will see the fan base as being unreasonable and will not come.

Act like a bunch of cellar dweller fans and this is where our team will wind up. The one thing I am happy with is that the powers brokers who are funding this program are probably not of the opinion you are. They probably are like the most of us -  not happy about the last two years. Yet see some positive points.

3-9 and o-fer in the SEC. What are the positive points you speak of? Could it be the starting QBs spring game highlight reel? It could very possibly get worse before it gets better.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Means-well

It isn't about a set number of years, it's about a feeling of progress, momentum, and the future. Faith is a funny thing.  If it was all a history lesson, fulmer and chizik would still be employed.  Whether its 3 years or a decade, Cbb will be given whatever time based on whether fans ($) feel the program is progressing. After only one year, it's currently just the half fulls vs the half empty's.

Hoggish1

Five years, it shall be!

hogsanity

About the Hogs talent level, I don't care what the national media says.  I don't care what fans of other programs say.  I really don't care what many of the posters here say.

I will pay close attention to what the other SEC coaches say.  Last year, they voted the Hogs last in the west, and then a couple went on to say the Hogs talent level was really low, especially at some key positions, and that it would take SEVERAL recruiting classes to rectify that.  These guys know which teams have recruited well, they are paid to study teams, to know their weaknesses and strengths, so when they talk, I will listen.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jek Tono Porkins

The situation that Bobby Petrino walked into was a unique time in the program's history. He had a great first recruiting class. We had two great years. But anyone that thinks that level of success was sustainable is kidding themselves.

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Hoggish1

Can't agree.

I loved Petrino, but he's gone.  What we don't know is if he would have been here beyond five years.  He's never been anywhere longer than four...

The SEC has been getting better each year and it required better coaches than Petrino had, or could attract, and much better players.  Coaching them up is a great skill, but regardless of how well you develop them, given this league, you have to start with better players.  Look at the upgrade that TAMU has/is undergoing since they joined the SEC... 

The rumors that he was hated by HS coaches in AR and TX was not a good sign for future recruiting.

I'm afraid the SEC may have overtaken him, even if he had not gotten his pickle in trouble. And, he still couldn't beat Bama!

hogsanity

Well, you are puckered all the time.

You really think DVH is in trouble?  Two CWS appearances, signed THE TOP player last year, has a stable of good young pitchers.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MrThunderhog on May 16, 2014, 09:47:06 am
3-9 and o-fer in the SEC. What are the positive points you speak of? Could it be the starting QBs spring game highlight reel? It could very possibly get worse before it gets better.

If you cannot see the positives, especially as they have been discussed numerous times, then no need me wasting my time retyping them.

Yes, it may get worse. So what. It is just a game. The University of Arkansas at Fayetteville is my alma mater not my identity. My life carries on win or lose. Don't get me wrong I have concerns, but a positive is I see our head coach addressing those concerns. I didn't get that with Nutt. How many years did fans howl to fire Willie?

Go into college football for the fun of the game and you will easily find positives from last season and this Spring. Go into college football looking for an identity and the loses make it almost impossible for you to see the positives.

HogFanatic

Arkansas is still thin at more than one defensive position.
While I doubt it takes 5 years to install Bielema's system and compete at a high level, we may be looking at another long year this year. Depth is critical. Especially when you are playing "traditional American football".

I just don't want to see any more 52-0 type routs again this year.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 16, 2014, 07:49:49 am
...And the attitude of some fans who pounces on negative sentiment is amazing. Quite honestly I am not sure as a fan base if we deserve a good team. Some of our fans perform at the Kentucky football level, so maybe we need to stay in the cellar...

C'mon Chitown. I've read enough of your posts to know you don't really believe that. You're a part of the fan base and you deserve a Razorback winner, and so do I. What a few naysayers spew isn't an all inclusive "we". I know you're trying to make a point but I request that you not paint with such a broad brush.
Many posters on here and many, many Razorback fans "deserve" a good team and we do not "need to stay in the cellar."
I get your point but I choose to stay positive until CBB has an opportunity to prove whether he can get it done. He hasn't had nearly enough time. If he can't get it done, we'll all know (including the administration). Then we'll hire another coach. We're not even close to that time. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

" GO HOGS "

sportster365

5 years is too long. College football fans in the SEC no longer have the patience to wait 5 years for a program to develop. South Carolina is a bad example, he's been there since the 2005 season and hasn't lost under 6 games since being the head coach and until 2010 never managed to get over the 7 and 8 game hump which had fans calling for his head so loudly that we could hear it here Arkansas.

3-4 years is long enough. That's long enough to have a team full of Junior and Seniors who's been rooted into your system. Honestly there's not a good enough excuse for any team with a large group of upperclassmen whose been in the system for 3-4 years not to see success. That's more of a given than an achievement.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Coach B's buyout clause is enormous.  He'll likely be here for years.

Focus and evaluation should be placed on the "process" at this point- rather than win totals. 

Piggfoot

When Petrino came to Arkansas I was thrilled. Gone was a coach who had the charisma to convince good players to come to and to stay in Arkansas but he was not consistent with his on the fly coaching ability and his side line demeanor did nothing to inspire confidence in players and much less the fans.
I expected Petrino to recognize Arkansas's recruiting problems and to build a sound redshirt program. It didn't bother me that we may not be able to attract the out of state 4 and 5 stars if he took what Arkansas provided and built around that. However, I too was somewhat deluded.  In his first year Tim Horton was able to convince a stellar crop of Arkansas athletes to stay in the state. And by and large Petrino's reputation was made by the progress of this first crop. But, the athletes he recruited while on paper looked good they didn't effectively workout. Too many were either poor students or people without character and in some cases criminals. We lost those players and the depth they would have provided. Petrino was a martinet demanding excellence from his players but his  personal behavior however was without discipline and this turned off players and in turn it carried over to potential recruits. Good smart  kids only need to be told what to and if it is in their ability they will learn what a teacher or coach wants without the need for being a harda$$.
Bret Bielema has had 1 and a half recruiting classes. He is following a plan which I think will work by developing the line along with the skill players. I don't blame Tenpenny for going to Alabama. I think he realized we didn't have the blockers and protection it would have required to develop a sound running game. I think we will continue to attract linemen and running backs. Now if we are able to develop QBs and Receivers we should be able to keep those kids in state. In Arkansas I believe it will happen but because of our low numbers It will take longer than schools with richer recruiting bases.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

chitwnhog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 16, 2014, 09:44:02 am

"St. Gus will leave Auburn and lead us to the promised land!!!!"

"Bobby the Magnificent will spurn Louisville and return home!!!"

"Gruden!!!"

These are the delusional thoughts of the "Fire Bielema" crowd. Ya think we are in a bad place as a program now? Fire Bielema after year two and see what happens. Oh, and guess what? None of the above coaches are coming to save us.

colbs

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 16, 2014, 07:14:07 am
Why 5? Give him 10...15. Since winning isn't important anymore.
You should change your name to from Wants2Win to Wants2b*tch.