Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SIAP. But who would you take. Jerry Eckwood or Basil Shabazz?

Started by Ben, May 15, 2014, 09:29:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

My opinion will always be shabazz, but eckwood i know was a beast
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Jerry Eckwood was relevant after High School, so Jerry Eckwood.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

pigture perfect

Tough question. I think I'd change my offense to a veer and take them both.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jgphillips3

TAZZHOG60

preachr

Jerry Eckwood, prior to his knee injury, was the best running back I've ever seen.

After the knee injury, he was good enough to qualify for and have a distinguished career in the pros.

For me, that says enough.

Peter Porker

Gone over this a million times. Look at the stats. Shabazz was a very good runningback, but not elite. He wasn't even recruited as a runningback, but as a defensive back. When he made the USA Today All-American team it was as a DB.

Basil Shabazz (6-0, 190)
Pine Bluff, Class of 1991
High school highlights: 1990 — 1,596 yards, 28 touchdowns, 7.6 yards per carry.

Jerry Eckwood (6-0, 200 pounds)
Brinkley, Class of 1974
High school highlights: 1973 — 2,616 yards, 33 touchdowns, 10 yards per carry; career — 5,215 yards and 67 touchdowns.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Ben

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 16, 2014, 05:50:11 am
Gone over this a million times. Look at the stats. Shabazz was a very good runningback, but not elite. He wasn't even recruited as a runningback, but as a defensive back. When he made the USA Today All-American team it was as a DB.

Basil Shabazz (6-0, 190)

Brinkley, Class of 1974
High school highlights: 1973 — 2,616 yards, 33 touchdowns, 10 yards per carry; career — 5,215 yards and 67 touchdowns.
In shabazz' defense, he played at the highest level doing what he did. Eckwood was like in 2a with brinkley
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

wildwolf

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 16, 2014, 05:50:11 am

Basil Shabazz (6-0, 190)

Brinkley, Class of 1974

How about  in 1997 - 2,227 rushing yards and 38 TDs (9.2 YPC)
3 year HS Career    - 6,723 rushing yards and 84 TDs.

This is for Jonathan Adams of Osceola, AR

Peter Porker

May 16, 2014, 01:25:42 pm #10 Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:37:23 pm by Peter Porker
Quote from: Ben on May 16, 2014, 12:31:02 pm
In shabazz' defense, he played at the highest level doing what he did. Eckwood was like in 2a with brinkley

So did Peyton Hillis and he was even more dominant.

Peyton Hillis (6-2, 250)
Conway High School, Class of 2004
High school highlights: 2003 — 2,631 yards, 29 touchdowns, 10.1 yards per carry.
College Choice: Arkansas

Hillis also rushed for 155 yards on that vaunted LR Central defense.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

10thPlanet

DeltaBoy

I saw both play in Person against 2A Teams Shabazz would have been even more dominate.  Jerry was a Man among Boys FB player. It was a dang gum shame he got that knee hurt or the Hogs would have been even better.

No one before or since has put on a State Title game show like Basil did against Mike Cherry's Ark High Team.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Peter Porker

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 16, 2014, 01:35:37 pm
I saw both play in Person against 2A Teams Shabazz would have been even more dominate.  Jerry was a Man among Boys FB player. It was a dang gum shame he got that knee hurt or the Hogs would have been even better.

No one before or since has put on a State Title game show like Basil did against Mike Cherry's Ark High Team.

Everyone goes off that one game.  It was an amazing performance.  It shouldn't make him the greatest though.

DeltaBoy

Jerry never faced the Defensive Talent Basil did.  4A vs 2A

Swinehart

Eckwood was THE most heavily recruited player this state has ever produced period.  When he hit the field we all thinking Heisman!  He was never the same after the injury.  IF he hadn't got hurt, well . . . .

rickm1976

Quote from: preachr on May 16, 2014, 04:29:34 am
Jerry Eckwood, prior to his knee injury, was the best running back I've ever seen.

After the knee injury, he was good enough to qualify for and have a distinguished career in the pros.

This.

cypert2

Quote from: preachr on May 16, 2014, 04:29:34 am

Yes. So him play in high school and college. Before his injury was the best rb Arkansas ever produced.
Swinging on the two and the four.

daBoar

Quote from: Swinehart on May 16, 2014, 10:31:01 pm
Eckwood was THE most heavily recruited player this state has ever produced period.  When he hit the field we all thinking Heisman!  He was never the same after the injury.  IF he hadn't got hurt, well . . . .
Jerry led the nation's high schoolers in rushing yardage his senior year in high school.  A huge stat. 

pignparadise

Quote from: Ben on May 15, 2014, 09:29:17 pm
My opinion will always be shabazz, but eckwood i know was a beast
Watched Eckwood pull away from Barnabus White in the 100 yard dash in the Meet of Champs as a junior. The burst of speed in the last 25 yards was incredible!
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Hogs-n-Roses

I also saw Eck run track and play football. Only saw Shabazz highlights and they are amazing but I will go with Eckwood. I'd argue with vthe statement in an above post about their competition of 2A vs 4A as Eckwood ran against some pretty good teams in the old SWC.

Mike Irwin

GuvHog

Basil Shabazz could have been a great one but he didn't care enough about his future to take care of business in the High School classroom so I'd take Eckwood.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

alohawg

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on May 17, 2014, 09:13:42 pm
I also saw Eck run track and play football. Only saw Shabazz highlights and they are amazing but I will go with Eckwood. I'd argue with vthe statement in an above post about their competition of 2A vs 4A as Eckwood ran against some pretty good teams in the old SWC.

Eckwood was awesome and I agree, SWC defenses may have been a little tougher, lol.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

FATHAWG08

First off Shabazz played Safety for the Zebras. Coach Glover put his best athletes on defense. He was a head hunter and you had to grind out 80 yards every possession against the Zebras. As the season progress the more Glover involved Shabazz in the offense. Shabazz gained over a 1,000 yards alone in the playoffs his Sr. Year. Eckwood played RB his entire career, Shabazz played when needed against the better competition in Arkansas. Yes, I agree Eckwood Had the better stats in HS. But if Shabazz had played 2A football his entire career there is no doubt he would still be the career rushing leader in National HS football. Now track people need to understand Shabazz never ran track full time, he played baseball. In between baseball he would run track never practicing on technique or training & he still has the record in the 200. Shabazz was a once in a lifetime athlete that we will never see again,  But that one game against Texarkana one should not forget how highly regarded their defense was though of with their speed & their dominance they showed through out the season. That was the big question leading up to that game. How would Shabazz respond to their defense that was regarded as the best in the state at the highest level. Well we  all know the story to that, he was a Man against boys. One might say you can't base it on one game, but if you watched Shabazz since his Jr High Days you knew once he got to play on that artificial grass at War Memorial  you were going witness speed & strength you would never see again. The Zebra fans had been seeing what the whole state got to see for one game we got to witness for years.
I love off season Football!!

snoblind

bruisemeister

I saw Shabazz play once. It was the first round of the playoffs in 1989 vs. Conway. He was a junior. It only took a couple of times of him running that I knew he was special. I don't really remember what kind of day he had. He may not have done much considering Pine Bluff was loaded with the state's top player that year at receiver in Tracy Caldwell. It was a blowout. Basil had this power, speed and acceleration that I have never seen in a High School player before and since.

I know Eckwood was one of the nation's best recruits in 1974 and had one of the best first half of a freshman season than any Razorback in history in 1975. I think the original poster put this up because both players were in the category of "what could have been". I think Eckwood paid the most due to his injury. Shabazz was going to be a safety at UA but decided to play baseball. When that career was over, he tried again at UAPB but couldn't get any carries since Ray Nealy(a high school QB)was the man.

Eckwood's career at Tampa Bay was similar to Arkansas. He had a great beginning. He ran for 99 or more yards in three of this first 4 games. However, for whatever reason, he went into a slump. Ricky Bell soon took over(much like Ben Cowins took over at Arkansas). His career lasted on 3 seasons.

bruisemeister

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 16, 2014, 01:25:42 pm
So did Peyton Hillis and he was even more dominant.

Peyton Hillis (6-2, 250)
Conway High School, Class of 2004
High school highlights: 2003 — 2,631 yards, 29 touchdowns, 10.1 yards per carry.
College Choice: Arkansas

Hillis also rushed for 155 yards on that vaunted LR Central defense.

He was a man against boys in High School. Too bad the Cats had trouble with point after conversions that year. That was the difference in the 21-18 loss to Central and the loss to West Memphis in the playoffs(they went for two and the win instead of one and the tie). Hillis and Kevin Wardlow was probably the greatest one two combination in state high school history. Wardlow is proof that not all great High School players had careers or high profile careers at the next level. For every Darren McFadden, there are several Wardlows, Tim Scarboroughs, Corey Adams, Keniko Logans, Tyrone Henrys, Billy Warrens and Terry Tatums to name a few. The fact they did not excel or even play on the next level does not diminish their careers as outstanding runners in Arkansas High School football history.

Peter Porker

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on May 18, 2014, 11:47:02 pm
First off Shabazz played Safety for the Zebras. Coach Glover put his best athletes on defense. He was a head hunter and you had to grind out 80 yards every possession against the Zebras. As the season progress the more Glover involved Shabazz in the offense. 1. Shabazz gained over a 1,000 yards alone in the playoffs his Sr. Year. Eckwood played RB his entire career, Shabazz played when needed against the better competition in Arkansas. Yes, I agree Eckwood Had the better stats in HS. But if Shabazz had played 2A football his entire career there is no doubt he would still be the career rushing leader in National HS football. 2. Now track people need to understand Shabazz never ran track full time, he played baseball. In between baseball he would run track never practicing on technique or training & he still has the record in the 200. Shabazz was a once in a lifetime athlete that we will never see again,  But that one game against Texarkana one should not forget how highly regarded their defense was though of with their speed & their dominance they showed through out the season. That was the big question leading up to that game. How would Shabazz respond to their defense that was regarded as the best in the state at the highest level. Well we  all know the story to that, he was a Man against boys. One might say you can't base it on one game, but if you watched Shabazz since his Jr High Days you knew once he got to play on that artificial grass at War Memorial  you were going witness speed & strength you would never see again. The Zebra fans had been seeing what the whole state got to see for one game we got to witness for years.

1. That was Madre Hill that accomplished that feat.

2. "Shabazz had more than just the motivation of winning a state title. He was also gunning for a roster spot on the Pine Bluff Zebras baseball team. Longtime Hall of Fame Zebra coach Billy Bock, who was also a football assistant, didn't allow upperclassmen in his program if they didn't enter as sophomores. Shabazz ran track, so his only baseball experience was American Legion ball in the summer. However, he really wanted to play for the Zebras his senior season, so he begged Bock. Bock told him if he ran for four touchdowns in the title game he could play." Excerpt from - http://www.syncweekly.com/news/2013/jul/16/best-ever/

thirrdegreetusker

Folks forget Eckwood had a RADICAL prodcedure on a blown-out disc in his back, in the summer after his HS senior year, before he ever put on pads for the Hogs. Even after his SECOND major injury (knee), he was still a stud.

Drafted ahead of Joe Montana in the NFL draft. In his NFL debut, became only the 11th rookie to rush for 100 yards in his inaugural NFL game.

1highhog

I saw Basil play more than any other player, I would take him over a lot of players that's been Razorbacks throughout the years easy.  But in this case, I've got to go with Eckwood.  That guy was a beast and proved it when Football was a mans game, we can debate the size of the players, the speed of the game, but no one says that today's players hold a candle to how tough the old school players were.  Eckwood was a beast and would even be today.

cypert2

Eckwood proved he was big time against the best of the best. Shabazz proved he was big time against Arkansas high school players.
Swinging on the two and the four.

alohawg

Quote from: 1highhog on May 19, 2014, 10:57:36 am
I saw Basil play more than any other player, I would take him over a lot of players that's been Razorbacks throughout the years easy.  But in this case, I've got to go with Eckwood.  That guy was a beast and proved it when Football was a mans game, we can debate the size of the players, the speed of the game, but no one says that today's players hold a candle to how tough the old school players were.  Eckwood was a beast and would even be today.

I certainly believe this.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

LZH

Eckwood was before my time.  But to me, Shabazz was Arkansas High School football's version of Marcus Dupree.  I'm quite a few years older than he his, but I still heard everyone from grade school to elderly men at the coffee shop talk about that dude.  He must have really been something to see.

Hogs-n-Roses

OLDHOG

rricha

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 19, 2014, 10:27:51 am
Folks forget Eckwood had a RADICAL prodcedure on a blown-out disc in his back, in the summer after his HS senior year, before he ever put on pads for the Hogs. Even after his SECOND major injury (knee), he was still a stud.

Drafted ahead of Joe Montana in the NFL draft. In his NFL debut, became only the 11th rookie to rush for 100 yards in his inaugural NFL game.

Damn good memory most people don't remember his back issues.  I read many years later that this procedure had something to do with his mental issues that he fights now.  Both were great backs and should be remebered as that. Both encoutered setbacks in life.

hawkhawg

Are we talking mini shabazz or regular size shabazz?

thirrdegreetusker

So, the choice is, would you rather have:

* an extraordinary high school athlete, who kept being extraordinary for another decade

* an extraordinary high school athlete, who never did much after that