Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great Quote from Jackie Sherrill

Started by WilsonHog, May 15, 2014, 06:13:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

@SportsTalkwBo: Sherrill on "The House that Johnny Built": "It'd be like putting 'The House that Houston Nutt Built' at Arkansas. A lot of people come thru programs."

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 15, 2014, 06:13:33 pm
@SportsTalkwBo: Sherrill on "The House that Johnny Built": "It'd be like putting 'The House that Houston Nutt Built' at Arkansas. A lot of people come thru programs."

I can't believe naming their stadium after Johnny is a thing.  He won a Heisman, sure, but he could still be a total bust in the NFL (many former Heismans were), and the team he was on finished 3rd in their division.

BluegrassRazorback

May 15, 2014, 07:12:55 pm #2 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:48:03 pm by BluegrassRazorback
@SportsTalkwBo: Sherrill on "The House that Johnny Built": "It’d be like putting 'The House that Houston Nutt Built' at Arkansas. A lot of people come thru programs."

Ole Jackie ''The Jackel'' Sherrell sure knows how to put a stick in your eye and twist it with that HDN quote

PonderinHog

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on May 15, 2014, 07:12:55 pm
Ole Jackie ''The Jackel'' Sherrell sure knows how to put a stick in your eyes d twist it with that HDN quote
He's a Nutt cutter from way back.

hogcard1964

Hoggish1

Houston's nutts and and a built house can't ever go in the same sentence...

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 15, 2014, 08:10:11 pm
Has he always disliked Nutt?
Do you really not know the Jackie Sherrill legend?

Where he castrated a bull at practice and got in to a world of trouble for it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on May 15, 2014, 08:54:29 pm

All while coaching at Mississippi State.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Boston RedHogs

Played golf with Jackie about 15 years ago.  Didn't like the garbage coming out of his mouth then and this is no different.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

It would be like renaming Kyle Field, "The House that Sherrill Built".
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Sed76

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 15, 2014, 09:53:50 pm
All while coaching at Mississippi State.

Thought he did that while coaching at A&M before a game against Texas.

Ironhawg

Seriously?  NYJMSU!

Jek Tono Porkins

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

redeye

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on May 15, 2014, 06:40:54 pm
I can't believe naming their stadium after Johnny is a thing.  He won a Heisman, sure, but he could still be a total bust in the NFL (many former Heismans were), and the team he was on finished 3rd in their division.

It's a publicity stunt.  If he's a bust, then they'll have another publicity stunt and change it to something else.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Sed76 on May 15, 2014, 10:54:34 pm
Thought he did that while coaching at A&M MSU before a game against Texas.
True story.

3kgthog

Johnny just being Johnny with more money will create his own publicity stunts without even trying. Sit back and watch the Justin Bieber of the NFL.

Inhogswetrust

He castrated the TAMU football program before that according to the NCAA........................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ironhawg on May 15, 2014, 11:40:17 pm
Seriously?  NYJMSU!

Seriously It happened at MSU while he was the coach there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Trottsky

It was at A&M, getting his team ready for the Longhorns.

BigSexyHog

Nutt couldn't even construct a simple fence around the state much less build a damn house.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

NVRyield

May 17, 2014, 11:30:06 pm #20 Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:56:16 am by NVRyield
Quote from: BigSexyHog on May 17, 2014, 11:28:30 pm
Nutt couldn't even construct a simple fence around the state much less build a damn house.

But Jackie's got that wood!

Ironhawg

PonderinHog

Quote from: Trottsky on May 17, 2014, 11:02:46 pm
Then why did he apologize to MSU fans?

Pigdiana Jones

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on May 15, 2014, 06:40:54 pm

Johnny douchebag stadium?
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

PonderinHog

Quote from: salebow on May 18, 2014, 09:46:09 am
Johnny douchebag stadium?
How about Johnny Guano Stadium?  Those aggies are batshat crazy down there.

trashcan maN

Naming stadiums after people who win Cotton Bowls? Seems Aggie-like

Trottsky

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 18, 2014, 09:28:32 am
Then why did he apologize to MSU fans?

Doh! As an MSU grad, I subconsciously tried to shift the scene of the embarassing incident. Reading more, posting even less.

BigSexyHog

Quote from: trashcan maN on May 18, 2014, 10:19:05 am
Naming stadiums after people who win Cotton Bowls? Seems Aggie-like

Very +1
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

EastexHawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 16, 2014, 05:58:49 am
Johnny just being Johnny with more money will create his own publicity stunts without even trying. Sit back and watch the Justin Bieber of the NFL.

Justin Bieber of the NFL...I like it.

Iwastherein1969

I'm no Johnny Football lover but methinks you guys underestimate the kid....he did things to Alabama that no other QB has ever done to a Nick Saban coached team...what allows Manziel to 'do his thing' is the size of his hands....for a short stocky guy the kid has huge hands and he has a thick body trunk, unlike Mikey Vick, so I think he'll be more durable than Vick...Manziel may never be a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning, but the kid will do well in the NFL whether we Hog fans like it or not
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Inhogswetrust

It was at MSU BUT you are correct it was before playing tejas:

The bull was castrated in front of the team on a practice field before Mississippi State defeated the Texas Longhorns, 28-10, on Sept. 5. Later, Sherrill said he allowed the procedure because it was educational and motivational.

pigture perfect

Quote from: hogcard1964 on May 15, 2014, 08:10:11 pm
Has he always disliked Nutt?
That's because he couldn't beat him consistantly.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Magic_Hogg

Maggie's love them some Manziel. Howdy!!!

Magic_Hogg

LZH

I'm still waiting for the punch line.  Is this, like, a real thing?  Seriously?

Tejano Jawg

The first--and only--time that I respect something that Jackie Sherrill ever said.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

1highhog

No, it was at Miss State.

PowderedToastMan

What was wrong with castrating a bull in practice?  We show kids that in class at school.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Magic_Hogg on May 19, 2014, 09:52:14 pm
Aggie's love them some Manziel

That's not the only part of a man they love.................................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AbeFroman on May 20, 2014, 06:08:08 am
What was wrong with castrating a bull in practice?  We show kids that in class at school.

It was not a class they had all signed up for and not everyone wants to see something like that. Besides it was more for motivational purposes than anything. IF they had not been playing the longhorns he never would have done it.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 20, 2014, 06:17:59 am
It was not a class they had all signed up for and not everyone wants to see something like that. Besides it was more for motivational purposes than anything. IF they had not been playing the longhorns he never would have done it.
Ends justify the means.  MSU won.

jkstock04

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 19, 2014, 09:27:12 am
I'm no Johnny Football lover but methinks you guys underestimate the kid....he did things to Alabama that no other QB has ever done to a Nick Saban coached team...what allows Manziel to 'do his thing' is the size of his hands....for a short stocky guy the kid has huge hands and he has a thick body trunk, unlike Mikey Vick, so I think he'll be more durable than Vick...Manziel may never be a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning, but the kid will do well in the NFL whether we Hog fans like it or not
Manziel is the best college qb I have ever seen play in person. Watching him last year was similar to the time I saw Peyton Manning in the late 90s. Sitting there I felt like I was watching one of the next big time NFL qb's of the next era. I'll be shocked if he doesn't have a heck of a career.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

sportster365

I like Johnny and I think he's a great football player who brings in a lot of intangibles with his ability to move, but I did see a lot of carelessly thrown passes that were luckily grabbed by his much taller and overpowering 6-5 receiver in Mike Evans.

I also want to see if he's not just a product of a system. Personally I feel a guy with his intangibles will find a way to make it work in just about any system, but in retrospect Sumlin's offenses (at least from what we know at Houston and now at aTm) have produced well and QB play has been exceptional. Case Keenum put up some incredible numbers while at Houston in Sumlin's system with 3 seasons of 5,000+ passing yards. Numbers that likely would have won him multiple Heisman trophy's had he played at a major div.1 program.

Keenum's ability hasn't thus far translated over to the pros very well. The one factor that sticks out to me about Johnny playing for the Browns the most right now is them wanting him to play from behind center. Most of what Johnny has done at aTm has come from the shotgun which raises even more questions about his ability to perform on a high level outside of Sumlin's system. The system he's grown to become known as Johnny Football in.

The Kig

I don't think the renaming is going to happen.  However, considering the tards named stadium the first time after a horticulturist, they have probably been jonesin to name it after someone actually related to football for quite some time...
Poker Porker

Mick Hogger

So, the best he did is get them 3rd or 4th place in the SEC West, took online classes to avoid being part of the student population, and he actually wanted to be a Longhorn. But he got a Heisman, so he's the greatest thing Aggie ever.

Aggies gonna Aggie.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Mike Irwin

A former grad assistant under Hatfield told me this story about Jackie Sherrill and A&M.

The grad assistant left Fayetteville for a job at Texas Tech where he developed a reputation for trouble shooting on NCAA compliance issues. He was so good at his job that Texas A&M offered him an astounding salary to become their NCAA compliance officer.

All went well through the first summer but a few weeks into the football season he was summoned to athletic director John David Crow's office.

"Son, you're about to find out why we're paying you the big bucks," Crow drawled.

"That's what I'm here for. What's the problem?" the guy responded.

"Well for starters," Crow began, "we got three or four ole boys playin' on our football team that aren't enrolled in school."

The former Arkansas grad assistant quit his high paying job a few months later telling me, "I'm good but I ain't no miracle worker."

Hogwild

When asked about going to coach in the NFL Joe Paterno said he couldn't leave college football to the likes of Jackie Sherrills and Barry Swtizers.  Paterno would later apologize to Switzer.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 20, 2014, 07:09:22 am
Ends justify the means.  MSU won.

That's true but he had to apologize for his motivational tactics. In the interest of full disclosure I can't stand Jackie. I didn't like him at Pitt or Tamu or MSU and I don't like him when he's on Memphis radio during the season...........

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 20, 2014, 11:14:45 am
A former grad assistant under Hatfield told me this story about Jackie Sherrill and A&M.

The grad assistant left Fayetteville for a job at Texas Tech where he developed a reputation for trouble shooting on NCAA compliance issues. He was so good at his job that Texas A&M offered him an astounding salary to become their NCAA compliance officer.

All went well through the first summer but a few weeks into the football season he was summoned to athletic director John David Crow's office.

"Son, you're about to find out why we're paying you the big bucks," Crow drawled.

"That's what I'm here for. What's the problem?" the guy responded.

"Well for starters," Crow began, "we got three or four ole boys playin' on our football team that aren't enrolled in school."

The former Arkansas grad assistant quit his high paying job a few months later telling me, "I'm good but I ain't no miracle worker."

I believe it.