Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Craigs gets some BBQ Love.

Started by DeltaBoy, May 15, 2014, 11:34:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

http://www.southernfoodways.org/arkansas-barbecue-craigs/

At Craig's Bar-B-Q in DeValls Bluff, AR, Robert Craig is carrying on the work of his father and uncle. Lawrence and Wes Craig opened Craig Brothers Café in 1947. Today, Craig's is best known for sliced pork sandwiches topped with a slaw that includes green apple and bell peppers. Their signature sauce was developed over the kitchen stove of the Craig family home.

I eat there every time I go home. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tripod1

Good BBQ for sure.  Then top it off and go across the street for the pie!!! 

DeltaBoy

Yep the Pie Lady got some love on the same sight.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

old hog

Have not been there in quite awhile. My Dad stopped off there once back in the early 70's. Gonna have to make a trip there again.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: old hog on May 16, 2014, 08:49:35 am
Have not been there in quite awhile. My Dad stopped off there once back in the early 70's. Gonna have to make a trip there again.

My Parents eat there 3-5 times a month plus they get the sauce by the gallon to use at home.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 16, 2014, 10:54:31 am
My Parents eat there 3-5 times a month plus they get the sauce by the gallon to use at home.

Delta, as you know, I grew up on Craig's in the late '60s and early to mid '70s, when I was growing up.  We'd go water skiing on Sunday afternoons on White River, then stop at Craig's on our way home.  I'm not sure I've ever had anything there but hot sliced pork sandwiches; when you love something that much what's the point in trying something different?  I still make it a point to hop off of I-40 whenever I'm in that area so I can pick up some sandwiches and a few bottles of sauce.  Best I've ever had.  And yes, I'll visit the pie lady across the road from time to time.  Amazing that a podunk place like DVB has some of the best food in the world.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Big Papa Satan

Great place.  Quite a few BBQ joints are interchangeable, but Craig's flavor is distinct.  Never seen anywhere else like it.

I've got their sauce recipe pretty close to the real thing.  Cloves give it that distinctive tang.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on May 17, 2014, 02:59:45 pm
Great place.  Quite a few BBQ joints are interchangeable, but Craig's flavor is distinct.  Never seen anywhere else like it.

I've got their sauce recipe pretty close to the real thing.  Cloves give it that distinctive tang.

Same here... I LOVE Craig's!! My Paren't bought a couple of pounds last Christmas when I came through LR for a visit. There really is nothing like it... My God, soooo good!

And I even plan trips where I will drive home from Chicago instead flying just so I can load up on my way back! My friends absolutely flip out over it! (I use coolers to keep the smell down... Damn, that delicious smell!! Nothing like it!)

Next time I pull through, I am going to shoot some medium format B&W shots of Craig's/surrounding areas/locals and make some big prints, play some old blues to go with some big plates of Q for friends and clients... It's the best way that I can bring "home" back to Chicago. My LA connects have no clue and there is no way I can drive half way across country and have that Q make it there. ;)

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: The_Hog_Father on May 17, 2014, 03:42:16 pm
Next time I pull through, I am going to shoot some medium format B&W shots of Craig's/surrounding areas/locals and make some big prints,

I think one of the things that makes Craig's special to me is that you walk through that screen door and it's like stepping back into the 1960s.  Same tables, same chairs, same floor, same walls ... heck, probably the same flies.  But it looks today exactly like it looked when I was a kid.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 17, 2014, 06:45:47 pm
I think one of the things that makes Craig's special to me is that you walk through that screen door and it's like stepping back into the 1960s.  Same tables, same chairs, same floor, same walls ... heck, probably the same flies.  But it looks today exactly like it looked when I was a kid.

Exactly sir! I also want to shoot some of the more weathered locals... Love small towns and down home folk of all shapes, sizes and shades. Great people, their faces tell a story. :)

Big Papa Satan

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on May 18, 2014, 12:34:46 am
Mild, medium, or hot?

Hot.  But make sure you've got a bunch of sweet tea to chase it with, or else you'll have a blistered mouth for a few hours afterward.

DeltaBoy

I go Med all the time and tell them to hold the slaw for the wife and kid.

Boll Hawg

I grew up down the road in Clarendon and make a stop at Craig's everytime I go home to see my parents.  I always get hot.  Someways it's on point and makes my eyes water and others it's like they left the peppers out.  Regardless, it's still my favorite place to eat.  I've found it's much more cost effective to just buy a few pounds of the meat (already sauced up), and a pint of slaw.  You just absolutely can't beat their sauce and they serve their meat sliced, the way it should be.  Of course, you can also get it chopped but why ruin an absolutely already perfect bbq?     
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

DeltaBoy

I still got a pint of Sauce at the house I will use this weekend.  I going to get a pound of smoked Turkey and baking it with Craigs in the oven at 275 for about 2 hours.

Jimmy

Everyone who wants to experience food in Arkansas should make a stop in DeValls Bluff. 

DeltaBoy

Yep and I still miss Jones in West Helena and Shaddens in Marvell.

Boll Hawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 19, 2014, 10:25:47 am
Yep and I still miss Jones in West Helena and Shaddens in Marvell.

Unfortunately, I never got to experience Shadden's.  I was home a few years ago and wanted some BBQ and decided to give them a try.  It was about 7pm when I called them and asked them what time they closed.  "When we gets ready" was their reply.  I didn't chance it and decided not to go.  They closed for good shortly afterwards. 

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Boll Hawg on September 19, 2014, 10:42:34 am
Unfortunately, I never got to experience Shadden's.  I was home a few years ago and wanted some BBQ and decided to give them a try.  It was about 7pm when I called them and asked them what time they closed.  "When we gets ready" was their reply.  I didn't chance it and decided not to go.  They closed for good shortly afterwards. 

It was up there with anyone.  Shadden's had small, cubed meat, a nice smoky sauce.  Very chewy.

DeltaBoy

Mom said they can get Shaddens sause in stores in the area.

DeltaBoy

Can't wait to get back to the Delta and hitting Craigs again.

DeltaBoy

Looks like we will be in the state for Thanksgiving this year.  If we do off the Craigs is where I will go.

DeltaBoy

Can't wait till Thanksgiving and getting back to the Delta and eating at Craigs.

Buff

Been eating there 29 years.  Only place where I'll drive an hour just for lunch.  No better place to close out a good day in the duck holes or deer woods.  I got a recipe for a BBQ sauce that can be modified to be pretty close to what Craig's has.  Actually, I got the recipe from another thread on here. 

onebadrubi

I will eat at Craigs about 45 times from November to February. 

That article is bogus without mentioning the pie lady!!!

DeltaBoy

The Fryed Pie Lady is the way to end your meal at Craig's as I do while I make my way back to Clarendon to visit the Family.

Boll Hawg

Grilled some bbq chicken this past weekend.  My sauce of choice was, of course, Craig's. 

DeltaBoy

Craig's is like crack to a Delta Boy.

DeltaBoy

I am counting down getting to the Delta and Craigs.

DeltaBoy

Got my fix last Wed before Thanksgiving.  Mild with extra coleslaw.

DeltaBoy

Craigs was good during my Visit for Christmas YUM YUM! :razorback:

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 06, 2015, 09:38:39 am
Craigs was good during my Visit for Christmas YUM YUM! :razorback:

Me too Delta!! It was sooo delicious, a great taste of home.

Boll Hawg

Picked me up 2 pounds of meat and a quart of slaw while I was home.  Lasted for days.  Just can't beat a good ole' Craig's BBQ!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on January 06, 2015, 06:09:54 pm
Me too Delta!! It was sooo delicious, a great taste of home.

Yes and I still mad that Wayne Shaddens Baby Girl can not get the rest of her family to let her reopen Shaddens.

DeltaBoy

Craigs is great I found another bottle of their sauce during the cold bad weather days the past two days.

DeltaBoy

Sometimes I am tempted to drink Craig's Sauce from the bottle.