Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

APR Penalties Handed Down

Started by WilsonHog, May 14, 2014, 03:50:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Oklahoma State loses the equivalent of a practice day a week, and UNLV and Idaho are banned from bowl participation.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10931365

@ArkRazorbacks: "APR: For 2nd straight year @ArkRazorbacks Student-Athletes exceed APR benchmark in all 19 sports."

Magic_Hogg

maybe some of you more knowledgeable than I in athletics can help me out - how significant is that one practice loss per week?

hawgsalot

Quote from: Magic_Hogg on May 14, 2014, 03:54:19 pm
maybe some of you more knowledgeable than I in athletics can help me out - how significant is that one practice loss per week?

Losing 20% of practice time is MAJOR!!!  They can only practice in full pads a few times a week and total practice hours is only around 20 hours I believe (someone on here will know exactly).  That's a huge blow if they can't get around it.

Magic_Hogg

have fun, pokes, playing FL State for your first game.

twistitup

Good job Paul Petrino....taking the vandals to all new levels of success
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Vantage 8 dude

Well it can make a dent. For instance, if I'm not mistaken there's already one day (I think Mondays) that the teams don't practice in pads, etc. Figure Friday is obviously not going to be a practice day nor will Sunday so you can begin to see some major impact, at least in football.

Hog1952

Go Paul Go! Blame those players.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: twistitup on May 14, 2014, 04:01:43 pm

Come on man. I don't like the guy either but he's only been there one year and the APR is based on several years. The one that should really be embarrassed is Gundy at OSU.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawgzinbowlz

I'm sure Idaho has busses with enough ground clearance for the players to fit under.

This penalty will generate more bowl conversation than all of last year.

Conference : Independent ; 2013 record : 1–11 ; Head coach : Paul Petrino : (1st year) :puke:

" GO HOGS "

Hogwild

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 14, 2014, 03:50:29 pm
Oklahoma State loses the equivalent of a practice day a week, and UNLV and Idaho are banned from bowl participation.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10931365

@ArkRazorbacks: "APR: For 2nd straight year @ArkRazorbacks Student-Athletes exceed APR benchmark in all 19 sports."

No way the NCAA takes a day of practice away from OK State, they are a big boy now

rlreev01

Quote from: twistitup on May 14, 2014, 04:01:43 pm
Actually Paul Petrino had nothing to do with it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Pretty certain that the coaching staffs will say it is significant when every day of your plan for an upcoming game, counts. It shortens the cycle. Not good.
Go Hogs Go!

Likely totally wrong here but I believe practice is limited to 2 hours per day once classes begin.  Not sure if that is 7 days per week.  As already mentioned, they don't likely practice game day or Sunday.  Friday's walk through likely counts as practice.  They may be able to count Sunday as a practice day and the penalty not mean anything at all or not. 

ZERO

Quote from: rlreev01 on May 14, 2014, 06:04:51 pm
Actually Paul Petrino had nothing to do with it.

Regardless, he's still kind of a skidmark.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 12247 on May 14, 2014, 06:33:59 pm
Likely totally wrong here but I believe practice is limited to 2 hours per day once classes begin.  Not sure if that is 7 days per week.  As already mentioned, they don't likely practice game day or Sunday.  Friday's walk through likely counts as practice.  They may be able to count Sunday as a practice day and the penalty not mean anything at all or not.
Sunday is primarily involved in trips to the training room and some film study. Typically Mondays are also film room days. Depending on (needed) travel there may or may not be time for a full walk through on Fridays. Problem with the walk through from a true practice standpoint is that there's not really not a lot you can do to address any specific issues (coverages, blocking, etc.) that might not have been taken care of earlier in the week.

WilsonHog

Love this quote from Pat Forde today:

"But everyone should be on the same side of this issue: college athletes need to be actual students who are making progress toward graduation. If there is no academic foundation behind college sports, then the entire enterprise should be separated from higher education once and for all. And since no fans really want to see that happen, they should expect their schools to motivate, inspire and sometimes even demand athletes to succeed academically."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-state-football-has-egg-on-its-face-again--this-time-due-to-academics-205116985-ncaaf.html

COCHISE

Our APR in basketball has made great strides but I read where it took a minor hit due to Young and Powell leaving early. My question is, how in the world does UK basketball keep their APR at a satisfactory level with so many of their players leaving early?

Henry Hogsome

I can't believe our Apr is so low in the sec.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: COCHISE on May 14, 2014, 07:40:37 pm
Our APR in basketball has made great strides but I read where it took a minor hit due to Young and Powell leaving early. My question is, how in the world does UK basketball keep their APR at a satisfactory level with so many of their players leaving early?

If I remember correctly they can leave and it doesn't affect them IF they are making their grades, taking the minimum number of hours and adequate progress towards a degree.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

COCHISE

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 14, 2014, 07:44:38 pm
If I remember correctly they can leave and it doesn't affect them IF they are making their grades, taking the minimum number of hours and adequate progress towards a degree.
Ahh...ok thanks. Although I find it hard to believe a bunch of "one & dones" are putting that kind of emphasis on their school work.

PonderinHog

Quote from: COCHISE on May 14, 2014, 08:08:19 pm
Ahh...ok thanks. Although I find it hard to believe a bunch of "one & dones" are putting that kind of emphasis on their school work.
There's also a "going pro" exception, IIRC.

BPsTheMan

there are 32 mid-size cities or larger that would love to have an NFL minor league team

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Not one congratulation to Our AD for doing a good job...

People will trip over each other to call him a POS though...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 14, 2014, 09:33:20 pm

They'll just compare it to recruiting and say we're 13 out of 14.
This is my non-signature signature.

WorfHog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 14, 2014, 09:33:20 pm

Jeff Long's doing a good job for a yankee carbetbagger!

Marshfieldhog

Long has done a nice job on the academic side, in fact it's pretty impressive. However if basketball and/or football don't starting winning in the near future he will be out the door. Figure we are about 2 -3 years away from that point. Once the dollars start declining on a regular basis then lookout.

3kgthog

I'm pretty sure Long isn't the one attending classes and doing the work. It doesn't have a thing to do with him.

Football needs to get that score up, though.

ifghog

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 14, 2014, 09:58:09 pm
I'm pretty sure Long isn't the one attending classes and doing the work. It doesn't have a thing to do with him.

It has a ton to do with him and his leadership. He demands his coaches uphold this standard. You are a bit off on this one sir. -1

goodguytex

May 14, 2014, 10:52:16 pm #29 Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:43:43 am by goodguytex
And just think... More than a few of our hog fans who post on this board wanted Gundy to be our HC. Our APR was lower than it should be on Petrinos watch. Now it's been going up pretty good the last two years. We now see that not having a good APR will hurt your sports programs.

Hawgzinbowlz

Congratulations to Jeff Long for being the AD and placing a value on APR, and on whose watch these results were accomplished.

If any of our programs were jeopardized as a result of any APR Mr. Long would bear the brunt of attacks on multiple fronts.

It is what it is and let's call it what it is.

" GO HOGS "

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 14, 2014, 05:10:18 pm
Come on man. I don't like the guy either but he's only been there one year and the APR is based on several years. The one that should really be embarrassed is Gundy at OSU.

Gundy is always an embarrassment.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Tick Hog

So we're in the Bottom 10 of BCS conferences?

DeltaBoy

Jeff is like a Blind Hog he found an acorn called APR now where is some SEC titles at in FB and Basketball!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ua_hogs

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 15, 2014, 08:27:18 am
Jeff is like a Blind Hog he found an acorn called APR now where is some SEC titles at in FB and Basketball!

You're an idiot if you think Long blindly found APR. 

Pickwick Hog

Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

PonderinHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 15, 2014, 08:27:18 am
Your a gentileman an a skolar.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about.... SID > APR..? Really..!?

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=567757.0
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hogwild

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on May 14, 2014, 09:38:48 pm
They'll just compare it to recruiting and say we're 13 out of 14.

who finished behind us?

BTW- The NCAA has reduced OK State punishment by 50%. Since they have shown improvement  ???

31to6

Quote from: Henry Hogsome on May 14, 2014, 07:42:04 pm
The attrition that naturally comes with 3 HC changes in six years is a huge factor.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 31to6 on May 15, 2014, 10:28:41 am
The attrition that naturally comes with 3 HC changes in six years is a huge factor.
Yet there are those who would have us believe that such changes should have absolutely no (negative) impact on the overall lack or performance on the field. Nah, turn over is nothing at all to be concerned about. In fact, take someone like 'Bama, LSU or anyone else and put them in the same situation and they'd no doubt still be vying for the SEC title, and very likely the NC to boot. Only Arkansas can't handle the turn stile we've had at HC and not win big.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 15, 2014, 11:04:50 am
Yet there are those who would have us believe that such changes should have absolutely no (negative) impact on the overall lack or performance on the field. Nah, turn over is nothing at all to be concerned about. In fact, take someone like 'Bama, LSU or anyone else and put them in the same situation and they'd no doubt still be vying for the SEC title, and very likely the NC to boot. Only Arkansas can't handle the turn stile we've had at HC and not win big.

The answer is obvious, fire Bielema.

31to6

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 15, 2014, 11:04:50 am
It is no surprise that Tenner is at the bottom of the SEC list. When you take the coaching dumpster fire they've endured (at least as bad as ours) and combine with the thugs that Kiffin loved to recruit that's what you get.

The biggest surprises on that list is how low LSU is ranked given their coaching stability (Saban->Miles was smooth and Lester has been there for a long time) and how high aTm is in spite of their turnover. Now for aTm I suspect part of it is just that (*puking slightly in my mouth*) it really is an excellent university.

LSU? no idea. Is Lester truly recruiting that many young men who can't hack it academically or is LSU not providing the kind of academic support that other SEC schools are?

Henry Hogsome

Quote from: 31to6 on May 15, 2014, 10:28:41 am
Coaching changes should not effect our Apr that much.

31to6

Quote from: Henry Hogsome on May 15, 2014, 11:31:02 am
But it does. Players who leave the program when not in good academic standing count against APR. Coaching turnover causes more attrition. When that attrition occurs it falls hardest on the players who are academically marginal and also not likely to excel on the field.

Other than their own sense of personal responsibility, how motivated do you think the CJLS staff was to bust their ass to help a player who was struggling academically?

Every recruiting year we joke that "the numbers work themselves out". During coaching turnover a lot that "working out" is players being encouraged to leave the program. Some of them are able to transfer but others who leave, just leave.

Finally, when you have coaching turnover you have an increase in discipline issues among the players who don't "buy in" to the new staff or who "don't fit" in the new scheme. Those kids often have academic struggles to go along with their discipline issues and when they leave, it dings the program.

Stability is huge both on and off the field. Look at the SEC APR rankings. Most of the schools above average have consistency. Most of the ones below average have had turmoil.

jry04

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 14, 2014, 09:58:09 pm

You have no idea how the athletic department works, then.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Henry Hogsome on May 15, 2014, 11:31:02 am
I think you need to check the comments from 31to6 in response to this post. He's pretty much summed up what impact, and it definitely DOES have one, turmoil and turnover in a coaching staff, particularly the HC position, has on player retention.   

BTW I'm hopeful that with the apparent emphasis we've seen from CBB and the rest of the coaches on the classroom and ensuring grades are being met we'll see the APR in the football program begin to improve over time. That is if we can keep him from becoming a part of the coaching turnover merry-go-round.

lefty08

Quote from: COCHISE on May 14, 2014, 07:40:37 pm

as long as they play professionally APR doesnt take a hit
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lefty08

Quote from: Henry Hogsome on May 14, 2014, 07:42:04 pm

Thanks to Coach Bobby P  sad some still revere him on hogville. I supported him blindly, but that dude was THE Cancer of all Cancers
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged