Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is This Anything?

Started by Dillon23, May 13, 2014, 09:26:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillon23

I guess I've been listening to too much sports talk. I looked these up after seeing Wisconsin's schedule for next year. How would BB's record be if he had played our schedule?? The positives about Bielema all revolve around him being a winning coach at Wisconsin.  My question is whether he would have been a winning coach had he played in the SEC or a tougher schedule.  If you look at his record from 2006-2012, he played against 23 top 25 teams and compiled a record of 10-13 (43%) against them. 8 of those games came against top 10 teams and he was 2-6 (25%) in those games.  During the same time, Arkansas played against 37 (61% more) top 25 teams and compiled a record of 14-23 (38%) against them. 19 (137% more) of those games came against top 10 teams and we were 4-15 (21%) in those games. Is this anything?

porkrindjimmy

This has been covered ad nausem....

You got some people who say yes it is something and some who say nope, lets answer that in year 3. And it doesnt really matter if there is or isn't....He gets at least 3, maybe 4.

PRJ

Professor Psychosis

He played the schedule he was given and won most of them.  The Big Ten was not a powerhouse conference during his time on top there, but there was nothing he could do about that.

You don't win your conference 3 years in a row by accident, even if it is a weaker conference than the SEC, but let's face it...no conference has been as strong as the SEC for about 10 years now, and maybe even longer.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I don't believe in my brain that his style will win here.  I hope I'm wrong.

The Spread is much more logical to me, and it is the way to beat 'Bama and to contend for an NC.

I will be THRILLED if I'm wrong, I promise.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Uncommon

Quote from: Notshavin on May 13, 2014, 11:10:10 pm

The Spread is much more logical to me, and it is the way to beat 'Bama and to contend for an NC.

It's not about the Xs and the Os, it's about the Jimmies and the Joes.  Look back at all of the national championship teams and the one constant is highly rated recruiting classes:
2009 Alabama           One Back
2010 Auburn             Spread
2011 Alabama           One Back
2012 Alabama           One Back
2013 Florida State     Multiple

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Dillon23 on May 13, 2014, 09:26:37 pm
I guess I've been listening to too much sports talk. I looked these up after seeing Wisconsin's schedule for next year. How would BB's record be if he had played our schedule?? The positives about Bielema all revolve around him being a winning coach at Wisconsin.  My question is whether he would have been a winning coach had he played in the SEC or a tougher schedule.  If you look at his record from 2006-2012, he played against 23 top 25 teams and compiled a record of 10-13 (43%) against them. 8 of those games came against top 10 teams and he was 2-6 (25%) in those games.  During the same time, Arkansas played against 37 (61% more) top 25 teams and compiled a record of 14-23 (38%) against them. 19 (137% more) of those games came against top 10 teams and we were 4-15 (21%) in those games. Is this anything?

He was playing with Wisconsin players. Hard to compare. His record vs. top 25 was similar to Petrino's here anyway.

Fayettechill14

The spread isn't any more successful against Bama than any other system. LSU has beaten Bama a few times, namely 2010 and 2011, with a Pro style. On the other hand, Auburn and A&M were successful with different versions of the Spread. And although Alabama shut us out last year, they also shut out Ole Miss' high-powered spread.

The way to beat Bama is to play better. Run the ball, stop the run, win the turnover battle, and don't commit any penalties. Then you can play whatever style you want.

Mike_e

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on May 14, 2014, 12:14:19 am
The spread isn't any more successful against Bama than any other system. LSU has beaten Bama a few times, namely 2010 and 2011, with a Pro style. On the other hand, Auburn and A&M were successful with different versions of the Spread. And although Alabama shut us out last year, they also shut out Ole Miss' high-powered spread.

The way to beat Bama is to play better. Run the ball, stop the run, win the turnover battle, and don't commit any penalties. Then you can play whatever style you want.

We have a winner.

As the old saying goes 'true power is when you can make the other man unball his fist'.

You can't do that with smoke and mirrors.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Peter Porker

Why is this so hard for some to understand?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

How do you beat A&M? Auburn? Ole Miss?

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pork Twain

Impossible to say accurately.  There he played with Big-10 talent vs Big-10 talent.  Here he will play with SCE talent vs SEC talent and only time will tell if he can do it.  In year four, we will either be extending his contract or looking for his replacement.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

I personally believe these stats mean something.  BB wins almost 100 percent against weaker teams than his.  He breaks even and maybe a little better than even when he faces a team as good as his and he fails against the better teams.  Most decent coaches put up this type numbers against the same type situations. 

I believe we'll see these same results when he gets settled in here in the SEC.  I expect lots of 7 to 9 win seasons, no conference championships, likely no major bowl victories and no reason to expect a BCS bowl unless some of the powerhouse teams in our conference wind up throwing snake eyes in the very same year which can happen every decade or so.  It will take regression by the really big boys in the SEC to float us to the near top or wow, the SEC championship.  Maybe no coach could put us on top if the SEC is hitting on all cylinders but a combination of perfect schedule, certain down teams and outhouse luck might do it.  I don't see BB getting those breaks here in the SEC.

Steef

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on May 13, 2014, 11:07:59 pm
He played the schedule he was given and won most of them.  The Big Ten was not a powerhouse conference during his time on top there, but there was nothing he could do about that.

You don't win your conference 3 years in a row by accident, even if it is a weaker conference than the SEC, but let's face it...no conference has been as strong as the SEC for about 10 years now, and maybe even longer.

And it's as strong right now as it's ever been. Maybe THE strongest, across the board. Hard to find any 'gimmees' these days...and none of them are on OUR schedule any time soon.

SquidBilly

I just finished coaching a U8 girls soccer team.  We had a decent season but our wins came against teams where our talent was better.  We played close with the teams that we were evenly matched with and had a couple of lopsided results against teams who had better players.  I coached the same in all of those games and the girls played just as hard in all of the games as well.

Coaching gets the team prepared to do their best in each game.  However when you come up against teams who's best is better than yours it generally makes for a long day.  Sure some games can be won by the lesser team on emotion but over a season the cream rises to the top.

Recruiting is where it is at and Bielema so far seems to be improving our roster.  He needs to continue the improvement in recruiting this next year so that we are able to match up with the best teams in the SEC.

gmarv

if bb can get us back to the upper middle of the league.
and then a freak like mcfadden comes along and he will.
were back talking about championship chances.
ah well my thoughs anyway.

ifghog

Quote from: Bret Squealema on May 14, 2014, 07:15:10 am
I just finished coaching a U8 girls soccer team.  We had a decent season but our wins came against teams where our talent was better.  We played close with the teams that we were evenly matched with and had a couple of lopsided results against teams who had better players.  I coached the same in all of those games and the girls played just as hard in all of the games as well.

Coaching gets the team prepared to do their best in each game.  However when you come up against teams who's best is better than yours it generally makes for a long day.  Sure some games can be won by the lesser team on emotion but over a season the cream rises to the top.

Recruiting is where it is at and Bielema so far seems to be improving our roster.  He needs to continue the improvement in recruiting this next year so that we are able to match up with the best teams in the SEC.
Nicely said. This is true all the way across the board.

rickm1976

You are absolutely right.  The only thing I would add is to do better recruiting than we have in the past.  We will probably never be able to get to quite the talent level of Auburn or A&M, but I believe we still have a lot of room to improve in that area.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: gmarv on May 14, 2014, 07:25:07 am
if bb can get us back to the upper middle of the league.
and then a freak like mcfadden comes along and he will.
were back talking about championship chances.
ah well my thoughs anyway.

There should be about 30 or 40 freaks like DMAC coming our way in about 15 yrs. If they all take after their dad in every way and love the hogs we could have about 400 DMAC's walking on in 2045...  ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hogsanity

The key to winning a title, be it sec or nc, is DEFENSE. Yes, you have to score points, but counting on winning a shootout with teams like Bama, or LSU is not a very good strategy.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 14, 2014, 06:31:38 am
How do you beat A&M? Auburn? Ole Miss?

By scoring more points..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

GuvHog

The way to beat Bama is to Run and Pass very well, stop the run, don't turn the ball over, and don't commit any penalties. Being a heavily run oriented team won't get the job done. Being a team with a balanced offense will.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 14, 2014, 08:14:34 am
There should be about 30 or 40 freaks like DMAC coming our way in about 15 yrs. If they all take after their dad in every way and love the hogs we could have about 400 DMAC's walking on in 2045...  ;)

Yep... Little Rock will be a hotbed of fast talent for a few years. But 35-40 of them will be graduating in the same class.
This is my non-signature signature.

Mike_e

Quote from: Notshavin on May 14, 2014, 11:47:58 am
By scoring more points..

Or by arranging for them to score less points than we do.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

colbs

Quote from: GuvHog on May 14, 2014, 11:59:19 am
The way to beat Bama is to Run and Pass very well, stop the run, don't turn the ball over, and don't commit any penalties. Being a heavily run oriented team won't get the job done. Being a team with a balanced offense will.
Well LSU and Auburn are heavily run oriented teams that beat Bama.

GuvHog

Quote from: colbs on May 14, 2014, 12:18:07 pm
Well LSU and Auburn are heavily run oriented teams that beat Bama.

No, they pass well too. My point is to beat Bama, a team must be good enough at passing to force Bama to respect there passing game. Otherwise Bama will stack the line and it's game over.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

colbs

Off the top of my head around half of the league runs the spread.  If Arkansas can't win running the same style as Bama because they can't compete with Bama in recruiting, how will they be able win with the spread against teams running a spread that out recruit them according to the rankings?  I don't know if BB will win here, but I don't think it will be because he runs a run first offense and his QBS mainly takes snaps directly underneath center.  What will determine if BB wins here will be if he is able to develop a passing game that keeps the defense honest and if he is able to put a solid defense on the field.

colbs

Quote from: GuvHog on May 14, 2014, 12:20:25 pm
No, they pass well too. My point is to beat Bama, a team must be good enough at passing to force Bama to respect there passing game. Otherwise Bama will stack the line and it's game over.
Well I wouldn't say Jordan Jefferson could pass well and I don't think Nick Marshall is the greatest passer.  They couldn't stop their running attack, Auburn only had 97 yards passing last year against them and had over 250 rushing yards. 

LA Football fan

Defense is the key.  You have to stop Bama enough times to give yourself a chance.  The same with Auburn, A&M, Ole Miss, etc.   When your defense is a sieve and teams can move the chains at will, it doesn't matter what offensive sytem you run. 

Our offense has the potential to control a game by keeping these high powered spread offenses off the field.  We just have to have a good enough defense to keep getting the ball back to us enough to wear down the spread teams defense.  Spread teams can wear out their own defense due to quick 3 and outs IF the opposing team can take the ball on offense and control the clock.  CBB has brought in the type Oline that can do just that if we can give him enough time to develop them.  His system will work given time to put it completely in place. 

The only thing I question is some of the risks he took last year that were really not necessary IMO.  Reduce those calls, keep letting our Oline gel, and I do believe we will see the wins come.

Quote from: Mike_e on May 14, 2014, 12:16:20 pm
Or by arranging for them to score less points than we do.

Both sound good to me. 

code red

Yep.....I think yes there is a lot to it.  Next question.  How many of those wins against top notch competition came under Petrino?  IMHO....CBB better do something amazing this year.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

TeedupHigh

What if, what if, what if, what if, what if.............what if little bobby had never got a stiffy..........

Delicious~Dreams

By scoring more points..
With the spread?    It can be done.

thefisher

Quote from: Bret Squealema on May 14, 2014, 07:15:10 am
cream rises to the top.

Yeah ... and so do the dead fish!

That has absolutely nothing to do with the thread.  A teammate of mine said it in the locker room. Our coach made that same statement after we beat a team with a good bit more talent than we had.  This is the first time I have had the chance to throw it out on MMQB.  Feel free to use it on others as you see fit from now on! :)
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

opineonswine

Quote from: GuvHog on May 14, 2014, 12:20:25 pm

Auburn's passing game last year was not good.

Steef

Quote from: opineonswine on May 14, 2014, 12:56:36 pm
Auburn's passing game last year was not good.

You're right. But Bama didn't play well offensively in their game against Auburn.

Which is why Nick fired his OC.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: steefhog on May 14, 2014, 01:06:46 pm
You're right. But Bama didn't play well offensively in their game against Auburn.

This

Peter Porker

By scoring more points..

And that's also how you beat Alabama.

Can we be adults now?

You think we can't "out-Alabama Alabama". How are we supposed to "out-A&M A&M" or "out-Auburn Auburn"? Your theory of having to habe a spread offense to beat Bama doesn't hold water.

Hawgon

I'll make a prediction.  BB won't get it done here.  He'll be gone by year four.  But, he is a decent coach and he is raising our talent along the lines and the defense.  The next coach will come in and recruit a few skill players and maybe a QB and have almost instant success.  He'll look like a genius.

BB is doing some things right.  I just don't think he is going to be here long enough to see the ultimate reward on them nor do I think he can quite get there with his system at Arkansas.  But, the cupboard won't be bare for the next guy and we'll reap the benefits.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hawgon on May 14, 2014, 01:14:35 pm
I'll make a prediction.  BB won't get it done here.  He'll be gone by year four.  But, he is a decent coach and he is raising our talent along the lines and the defense.  The next coach will come in and recruit a few skill players and maybe a QB and have almost instant success.  He'll look like a genius.

BB is doing some things right.  I just don't think he is going to be here long enough to see the ultimate reward on them nor do I think he can quite get there with his system at Arkansas.  But, the cupboard won't be bare for the next guy and we'll reap the benefits.

I smell a little smoke there, but I'm not sure there's fire yet. I think if the offense is not so good this year, then we'll see a change in OC over the offseason. If that doesn't work, then yes, I think we'll see a change at HC. Cheney was right for BB on paper, offsetting his run for your life style offense with an uptempo passing game. But if it doesn't work this year, Cheney will be gone. Just hope we can keep our position coaches if he leaves.

HogHolio

Nick S. won only 59% of his games at Michigan St, and Brett B. won 74% at Wisconsin.  I didn't look up records against ranked opponents, but looking at traditional powers in the conference Nick struggled there as well. 

I think all you can take away from the past stats is that coaching wise they both are good coaches and exactly how succesful they will be against top teams is dependent on how much talent they have.  I'm not saying BB will be as great as Saban at Alabama or LSU, but if you want to compare stats BB looks better than Saban after spending simillar time in the BIg 10. 

However BB is now at a place much more difficult to recruit than what ol st nick went to in LSU and AL(still better than Wiscy).  Only time will tell if BB has the ability to improve on his record like Nick did.   

Dwight_K_Shrute

I like a good Bert troll as much as the next guy but some of this stuff is just stupid.  It doesn't make BB look bad just the OPs.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

VT HOG

The facts do not play in Bret Bielema's favor. Current nine game losing streak, will be ten after Gus blows him out again. No SEC wins and recruiting classes in the bottom 4th of the conference.

Those that do not look at facts objectively think he will be a good coach because he grew up as a pig farmer or because he recruits "uncommon men." He will be great at Arkansas because he coached Russell Wilson for one season or because he likes to insult Wisconsin college students on twitter.

hawgsalot

Quote from: VT HOG on May 14, 2014, 03:58:46 pm
The facts do not play in Bret Bielema's favor. Current nine game losing streak, will be ten after Gus blows him out again. No SEC wins and recruiting classes in the bottom 4th of the conference.

Those that do not look at facts objectively think he will be a good coach because he grew up as a pig farmer or because he recruits "uncommon men." He will be great at Arkansas because he coached Russell Wilson for one season or because he likes to insult Wisconsin college students on twitter.

LOL, way to add such intelligence to a thread!

VT HOG

Quote from: hawgsalot on May 14, 2014, 04:01:05 pm
LOL, way to add such intelligence to a thread!

It's not a problem sir

mhuff

Quote from: steefhog on May 14, 2014, 01:06:46 pm

+1

Fayettechill14

Quote from: GuvHog on May 14, 2014, 11:59:19 am

2014 Auburn
Rushing per Game: 328.3 (1st NCAA)
Passing per Game: 173.0 (106th NCAA)

Auburn 34, Alabama 28

RIP your argument

870hogfan

Quote from: VT HOG on May 14, 2014, 03:58:46 pm

His recruiting is far and better than Petrino...

VT HOG

Quote from: 870hogfan on May 14, 2014, 05:26:54 pm

His recruiting is far and better than Petrino...

Nobody said it wasn't. The product on the field was ugly

870hogfan

Quote from: VT HOG on May 14, 2014, 06:31:23 pm
Nobody said it wasn't. The product on the field was ugly

Petrino first year was ugly too....