Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 10 Hog football players

Started by bruisemeister, May 13, 2014, 03:29:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bruisemeister

One of the all time Hog greats, Ronnie Caveness, died a few days ago. I always regarded him as the Hogs greatest player ever before Darren McFadden took the field. Here is my top 10 Hog players of all time. You can list yours. Noone is right or wrong.

1.)Darren McFadden
2.)Ronnie Caveness
3.)Lloyd Phillips
4.)Shawn Andrews
5.)Chuck Dicus
6.)Steve Little
7.)Steve Atwater
8.)Bill Brooks
9.)Wayne Harris
10.)Clyde Scott

1highhog

Quote from: bruisemeister on May 13, 2014, 03:29:41 am
One of the all time Hog greats, Ronnie Caveness, died a few days ago. I always regarded him as the Hogs greatest player ever before Darren McFadden took the field. Here is my top 10 Hog players of all time. You can list yours. Noone is right or wrong.

1.)Darren McFadden
2.)Ronnie Caveness
3.)Lloyd Phillips
4.)Shawn Andrews
5.)Chuck Dicus
6.)Steve Little
7.)Steve Atwater
8.)Bill Brooks
9.)Wayne Harris
10.)Clyde Scott

I would have to put Wayne Martin on that list, he had a very good career here at Arkansas and a long NFL career with the Saints.
I'd also put Billy Ray Smith Jr. on there, and Bobby Joe Edmunds, and of course I would go with Gary Anderson.

pignparadise

"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Pork Twain

Mine would only be since I started watching in the 80's thereby leaving out a lot of greats from before my time
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

goodguytex

If we are talking all time greatest hog football players, we are talking a lot of people, going back to when Hugo Bezdek was coach. And there have been some really, really great ones.

EastexHawg

Ronnie Caveness
Loyd Phillips
Lance Alworth
Darren McFadden
Billy Ray Smith, Jr.
Dan Hampton
Matt Jones
Clyde Scott

The top eight are off the top of my head.  The next two are tougher for me but would come from among:

Chuck Dicus
Shawn Andrews
Wayne Harris
Steve Little
Cliff Powell
Glen Ray Hines
Jimmy Walker

Dr. Starcs

Here is my list (just players I have seen in my lifetime)

1. Darren McFadden
2. Shawn Andrews
3. Wayne Martin
4. Felix Jones
5. Johnathan Luigs
6. Kendall Trainor
7. Kenoy Kennedy
8. Tony Cherico
9. Tony Ugoh
10. Anthony Lucas
11. Jermaine Petty
12. Ken Hamlin
13. Robert Felton
14. Greg Horne

1highhog

I know that most times kickers usually never get the accolades on these all time greatest Razorback lists, so I'm adding one:
Steve Little, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Little_(American_football)

BorderPatrol

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 13, 2014, 09:08:47 am
Ronnie Caveness
Loyd Phillips
Lance Alworth
Darren McFadden
Billy Ray Smith, Jr.
Dan Hampton
Matt Jones
Clyde Scott

The top eight are off the top of my head.  The next two are tougher for me but would come from among:

Chuck Dicus
Shawn Andrews
Wayne Harris
Steve Little
Cliff Powell
Glen Ray Hines
Jimmy Walker

No Ike Forte?

bp

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: BorderPatrol on May 13, 2014, 09:37:23 am
No Ike Forte?

bp

Or Ben Cowins and his 3.500+ yards.  Jimmy Walker should get some mention as well.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on May 13, 2014, 09:59:18 am
Or Ben Cowins and his 3.500+ yards.  Jimmy Walker should get some mention as well.

I thought about Ben Cowins...along with Dick Bumpas, Leotis Harris, Kendall Trainor, and several other guys.  We've had a lot of great players in our history and it's hard to narrow the list down to 10-12.

I did include Jimmy Walker in my secondary list.  He was a great one.

I know Wear Schoonover is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame and that Jim Benton led the nation in receiving before going on to set the (at the time) NFL record for most receptions in a game.  I obviously never saw them play or even saw video of them as Hogs so I didn't include them...but maybe they and some of the other old timers should be included.

plumbhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 13, 2014, 09:14:28 am

1. Darren McFadden
2. Shawn Andrews
3. Wayne Martin
4. Felix Jones
5. Johnathan Luigs
6. Kendall Trainor
7. Kenoy Kennedy
8. Tony Cherico
9. Tony Ugoh
10. Anthony Lucas
11. Jermaine Petty
12. Ken Hamlin
13. Robert Felton
14. Greg Horne

Bump everybody down one spot and put Korliss Marshall at #1 and your pretty close.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

icouldntthinkofagoodname

id have to crack kenny hamlin into the top 10.  felix jones would make the cut too.
certainly atwater.  where's matt jones?  i know he had some issues, but he would make the top 10 imo.

Inhogswetrust

1.)Darren McFadden
2.)Ronnie Caveness
3.)Lloyd Phillips
4.)Shawn Andrews
5.)Chuck Dicus
6.)Steve Little
7.)Steve Atwater
8.)Bill Brooks
9.)Wayne Harris
10.)Clyde Scott

Leaving off TWO pro football HOF'ers. Unbelievable..................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Uncommon

Top 10 Arkansas Razorback Football Players since 2010
1. 2008-2010 QB Ryan Mallett
2. 2009-2013 C Travis Swanson
3. 2007-2011 DE Jake Bequette
4. 2009-2012 RB Knile Davis
5. 2008-2011 WR Joe Adams
6. 2008-2012 QB Tyler Wilson
7. 2008-2011 WR Jarius Wright
8. 2008-2011 WR Greg Childs
9. 2007-2010 TE DJ Williams
10. 2010-2013 DE Chris Smith

Honorable Mentions
11. 2006-2010 OT DeMarcus Love
12. 2009-2012 WR Cobi Hamilton
13. 2008-2012 TE Chris Gragg
14. 2011-2013 FB Kiero Small
15. 2010-2013 K Zach Hocker

East TN HAWG

Mine would be

DMAC
Billy Ray Smith Jr
Dan Hampton
Lloyd Phillips
Lance Alworth
Steve Little
Steve Atwater
Joe Ferguson
Ronnie Caveness
Gary Anderson

HogFanatic

Quote from: plumbhog on May 14, 2014, 11:53:36 pm
Bump everybody down one spot and put Korliss Marshall at #1 and your pretty close.

^^^^ !

Ashdownpanther

You guys are leaving out Billy Moore- the only hog to make 1st team All American at QB and Jim Mooty, another 1st team All American

sowmonella

Ken Hatfield should be mentioned on that list.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

yraciv

Quote from: Ashdownpanther on May 16, 2014, 06:32:31 am
You guys are leaving out Billy Moore- the only hog to make 1st team All American at QB and Jim Mooty, another 1st team All American

Certainly good for their era, but I'd take any 60s/before players with a grain of salt due to the style of football and obvious gap in competition.

Razorhawg09

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 13, 2014, 09:14:28 am

1. Darren McFadden
2. Shawn Andrews
3. Wayne Martin
4. Felix Jones
5. Johnathan Luigs
6. Kendall Trainor
7. Kenoy Kennedy
8. Tony Cherico
9. Tony Ugoh
10. Anthony Lucas
11. Jermaine Petty
12. Ken Hamlin
13. Robert Felton
14. Greg Horne
Robert Felton? Lol.

wildwolf

1.)Darren McFadden
2.)Ronnie Caveness
3.)Lloyd Phillips
4.)Shawn Andrews
5.)Chuck Dicus
6.)Steve Little
7.)Steve Atwater
8.)Bill Brooks
9.)Wayne Harris
10.)Clyde Scott

Any list that does not include Lance Alworth is invalid. Reminds me of the Sports Illustrated article from about 5 years ago of the 50 greatest living MLB players. The writer DID NOT have the still living Stan "The Man" Musial on it. That writer's credibility was lost.

wildwolf

1.)Darren McFadden
2.)Ronnie Caveness
3.)Lloyd Phillips
4.)Shawn Andrews
5.)Chuck Dicus
6.)Steve Little
7.)Steve Atwater
8.)Bill Brooks
9.)Wayne Harris
10.)Clyde Scott
Do you mean William "Bud" Brooks? He may be the most decorated lineman to ever play for the Hogs. Not only was this Wynne product AP First Team All American, but, he won the Outland Trophy that year and was also the MVP of the South team in the Senior Bowl! He never played in the NFL.

Dr. Starcs

Robert Felton was an all-American. I don't take that lightly.

tophawg19

Brandon Burlsworth , Steve Korte . R.C theilman . Dan Hampton way to many to list. Ricky Williams . Joe Ferguson . quinton Caver
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Razorhawg09

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 16, 2014, 08:30:22 pm
He wasn't even a top 10 player on that particular team.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 16, 2014, 08:30:22 pm

I sure don't remember him being all American type

hvsupastar

In all honesty if we are being realistic Shawn Andrews has to be #1. He graded out at like 97% in his career. He did what he was supposed on nearly every play
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Dr. Starcs

Hogtimes

1.)Darren McFadden
2.)Ronnie Caveness
3.)Lloyd Phillips
4.)Shawn Andrews
5.)Chuck Dicus
6.)Steve Little
7.)Steve Atwater
8.)Bill Brooks
9.)Wayne Harris
10.)Clyde Scott

List should include Joe Ferguson and Lance Alworth....