Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who are some of the hardest hitting hogs of all time?

Started by Sweet Feet, May 09, 2014, 08:51:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogville38

tasteslikechicken

Hog53

tennesseehogwild

Atwater, Hamlin, and Dirt Winston!   Kiero Small is my personal fave though. Defensive guys who are on the receiving end of his lead blocks probably agree with me.

Big Boi

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

secfan30

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

TOM "tbw1"

Wayne "The Thumper" Harris, a 182-pound linebacker and center who almost dismembered opponents.

Harris had the potential to possibly end someone's career with his penchant for contact. Against SMU Harris hit Pony QB Don Meredith so hard that Dandy Don was knocked unconscious, leading Hogs assistant coach Wilson Matthews to comment about Meredith's inability to continue in the game "It's hard to see your receivers when your eyeballs are in the back of your head."  He was also a superb blocker and in addition to being an All SWC player, he was a First Team Academic All American.

http://www.helmethut.com/College/Arkansas/ARXXUA5863.html
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

RazorWild

I'm sorry but Bua ain't even in the same league as Atwater, Kennedy, Hamlin.  Yeah he had a few big hits, but can't hold the other guys jock.

CoachVisor

I've heard that the late Bruce Mitchell could hit ya pretty damn hard.     :(

sowmonella

Terry Stewart a DB from the late 60's was pound for pound as good as it gets.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on May 10, 2014, 01:37:09 pm
Atwater, Hamlin, and Dirt Winston!   Kiero Small is my personal fave though. Defensive guys who are on the receiving end of his lead blocks probably agree with me.

All those mentioned above were great but I was going to give Kiero props too.  Loved seeing him go in the draft yesterday.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

rzrbackramsfan

Jerrico Nelson hasn't been named yet.  He laid the wood any time he made a tackle.

How were Jim Lindsey and jerry jones as tacklers?

hogwild6700

Hardest hitting hog that I ever saw was Tony Bua.

On the professional level, does anyone remember Scott Case? He played SS for the Falcons and had a brief stint with the Cowboys.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogwild6700 on May 11, 2014, 10:05:12 am
Hardest hitting hog that I ever saw was Tony Bua.

On the professional level, does anyone remember Scott Case? He played SS for the Falcons and had a brief stint with the Cowboys.

In the modern era of football, someone would have to have accomplished quite a lot to have been more intimidating than Steve Atwater. I liked Case, but he is a shadow of Atwater over a prolonged period of time in both college and the NFL.

Check it out, #9 most feared tackler in all of the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d811174ad/Top-Ten-Most-Feared-Tacklers-Steve-Atwater
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

Man I loved watching Atwater play.  He is the only reason I started liking the Broncos.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rzrbackramsfan

Ok jerico Nelson was the hardest tackler since Petrino.

http://youtu.be/zOvlB9bHCe0

That's hihlights of his whole career but shows where he had some major hits.  And of course, there's this one...

http://youtu.be/rvWOOIYOIKg

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 11, 2014, 12:01:01 pm
Ok jerico Nelson was the hardest tackler since Petrino.

http://youtu.be/zOvlB9bHCe0

That's hihlights of his whole career but shows where he had some major hits.  And of course, there's this one...

http://youtu.be/rvWOOIYOIKg

Jerico was great, loved watching him play. But he isn't anywhere near what Atwater was in college or the NFL.
Go Hogs Go!

Legball13

LB- Mick Thomas! if u talk NFL, arkansas native Cliff Harris aka Captain Crash.

reddogjcss

Theolesnort

Well most are forgetting Ronnie Caveness who just passed on. Probably because they never got to see him it was so long ago. Someone mentioned Shawn Andrews and his pancake blocks but in reality to much holding and pushing going on in the olines to cause a lot of violence. Then there are different kinds of violence going on in the lines, biting, kicking, squeezing, (you know where) and clawing. As far as violent contact from a offensive player I would have to say Bruce Maxwell from his fullback position left splattered players all over the field. He in my opinion was the meanest Razorback of all time and that includes the four foot variety too. Of course I joke, but Bruce James can tell you some stories about Maxwell. There are stories about Dave Hawg Hannah too and how mean and intimidating he was, but I was awfully young when he played. Lots and lots of mean and intimidating Razorbacks down through the years.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

justwin

John Ed Goodman.  When Lou Holtz was coach, he said Goodman was one of the hardest hitters he ever coached. 

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: RazorWild on May 10, 2014, 09:02:21 pm
I'm sorry but Bua ain't even in the same league as Atwater, Kennedy, Hamlin.  Yeah he had a few big hits, but can't hold the other guys jock.

Unfortunately, Bua had one hit we'd all like to take back. In the game we were coming back vs Florida (Matt Jones era), Bua hit QB Chris Leak LATE to nullify a pick (by Sam Olajubutu) he just threw. To me, this was the second-most painful Florida loss in our history.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

ferrellhog

rricha

RICKY WILLIAMS
MILTON FIELDS
KEVIN EVANS
RICHARD RICHARDSON

rricha

Theolesnort

Quote from: rricha on May 12, 2014, 02:14:32 am
COULD GREG LASKER
Well Richard you banged a head or two during your time too, but now the named of the game is wrap them up and get them to the ground without the violence due to the flags the refs throw now a days.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

HammusArkansus

On the offensive side of the ball, Bruce Maxwell did a pretty good job of 'banging heads'.

El Puerco Grande

Since the OP didn't specify football only, I have to go with Roosevelt Wallace. For the youngsters on here he was a 6'7" and about 250 lb forward in the early 90's. He wasn't a scorer, or consistent rebounder. When they sent him in to foul, somebody else had to shoot the free throws.
How 'bout them hogs?

thirrdegreetusker

Bo Busby

Had a knack of blowing up WRs (who had beaten coverage deep down he sideline) just as the ball arrived.

Big for a safety back then. Now a doctor.

thirrdegreetusker

Atwater was renowned and respected as a GREAT player at Arkansas, because he did everything extremely well. But his "big hitter" reputation grew exponentially as a pro, particularly in light of his hit on Okoye.

EastexHawg

Quote from: 1highhog on May 09, 2014, 09:31:42 pm
Some of you guys maybe forgetting Dennis Johnson speaking of small fellas bringing the hurt.  DJ could make it thunder. 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1dDmxmswlYU

Yep, and this one may be even better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSFEwTtLFjw&feature=player_embedded

staffhog

Defense: Wayne "Thumper" Harris; Ronnie Caveness and Dennis "Dirt" Winston.

Offense:  Bruce Maxwell; Kiero Small;

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: TomasPistola on May 09, 2014, 08:53:03 pm
Bua.

damn right ....Bua, Atwater and then ....crap he played for Seattle for a while
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

jabohog

MJ2

Bua, Atwater, Hamlin, Dennis Dirt Winston, Quentin Caver

elksnort

In an otherwise crappy Orange Bowl in 1987, Bubba Barrow had a very nice hit that could be heard all over the stadium. It was the best thing Arkansas did all night.

HornetHog

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 12, 2014, 01:33:30 pm
Bo Busby

Had a knack of blowing up WRs (who had beaten coverage deep down he sideline) just as the ball arrived.

Big for a safety back then. Now a doctor.

Second That!  Bo Busby could go!!
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

1highhog

Quote from: No Porking Here To Corner on May 12, 2014, 12:58:51 pm
Since the OP didn't specify football only, I have to go with Roosevelt Wallace. For the youngsters on here he was a 6'7" and about 250 lb forward in the early 90's. He wasn't a scorer, or consistent rebounder. When they sent him in to foul, somebody else had to shoot the free throws.

Roosevelt Wallace was all heart Ill give you that.  He was all of 6-4 and could have been 6-5 with cowboy boots on maybe, but he did at least try and make sure that when he fouled someone they knew they had been fouled.

rricha

Milton Fields was the hardest hitter when I played back in the old days.

Porkatarian

Quote from: rricha on May 19, 2014, 05:48:53 pm
Milton Fields was the hardest hitter when I played back in the old days.

He could also crush a softball years later.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

porkchopsdontfloat

Steve Atwater
Tony Bua
Kenoy Kennedy
Ken Hamlin
Kiero Small
DMac
The world will little note, nor long remember, the debates that distract us from what really matters, but it will remember that we wasted our lives calling strangers on the Internet retarded for liking the wrong things.

devildoghawg

Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

bollweevil

Wayne "Thumper" Harris, Ronnie Caveness, Steve Atwater, Kenoy Kennedy, Ken Hamlin, Dennis Winston and the late Bruce Mitchell. Winston and Mitchell had two of the hardest hits I've ever seen. Winston decleated Anthony Davis on a little swing pass out of the backfield when the Hogs beat USC in Little Rock 22-7 in 1974.  The year before in Fayetteville, Bruce Mitchell had a running start at Texas A&M's Bubba Bean and nearly took his head off on a screen pass. Mitchell died way too young or he might be remembered as one of the UA's all-time best.

Danimal

Quote from: bollweevil on May 20, 2014, 04:14:56 pm
Wayne "Thumper" Harris, Ronnie Caveness, Steve Atwater, Kenoy Kennedy, Ken Hamlin, Dennis Winston and the late Bruce Mitchell. Winston and Mitchell had two of the hardest hits I've ever seen. Winston decleated Anthony Davis on a little swing pass out of the backfield when the Hogs beat USC in Little Rock 22-7 in 1974.  The year before in Fayetteville, Bruce Mitchell had a running start at Texas A&M's Bubba Bean and nearly took his head off on a screen pass. Mitchell died way too young or he might be remembered as one of the UA's all-time best.
I was at that A & M game when Mitchell laid Bubba Bean out. Bean threw up when he got to the bench. Hardest hit I've ever seen in person.

Doug

Someone mentioned this on page 1, but yeah, Casey Dick's hit in the 2007 LSU game owns.

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Steef

Quote from: Doug on May 21, 2014, 05:40:43 am
Someone mentioned this on page 1, but yeah, Casey Dick's hit in the 2007 LSU game owns.

I will always respect Casey. As a person.

And I can't help but notice...he was PACING Darren McFadden.

No small thing.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: steefhog on May 21, 2014, 07:22:45 am
I will always respect Casey. As a person.

And I can't help but notice...he was PACING Darren McFadden.

No small thing.

TW was one of the toughest QB's I've ever seen.  He got up from hits that left me scratching my head.  Casey took several of those in his first year too.  He was tough...no doubt about that.  He was also a staunch competitor, and his teammates believed in his leadership, because of that toughness and HITS LIKE THAT ONE. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.