Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who are some of the hardest hitting hogs of all time?

Started by Sweet Feet, May 09, 2014, 08:51:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

And if you want, who do you think is the hardest hitter of them all

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

MTBrookHog

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ballinhog

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

tophawg19

probably Atwater was the hardest . kennedy and hamlin were close
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Sweet Feet

HogFanatic

Felix Jones laid the hardest lick I've ever seen on a football field during a scrimmage one year. The ball was turned over and the defender was trucking along the sideline when Felix outran him and then turned back into him and laid the freakin' wood to the guy so hard he was bitched out for it.

It was incredible.

Other than that, the hardest hitter I've ever seen in a Hogs uniform was either Sam Olajabutu or Tony Bua.

Dr. Starcs

ScotchHog

Always waiting

1highhog

May 09, 2014, 09:17:40 pm #14 Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:04:24 am by 1highhog
Olu would lay the wood to someone as well as Bua.  Atwater was not a great hitter until he reached the NFL.  If we were going greatest Razorback hitter all time including NFL Steve Atwater wins going away.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6SEXGAqVus

rusvegashog

Atwater. My personal faves Bua and Ola. Little dudes bringin the thunda. Have to admit when I read the thread title the first thing I thought of was Marquel Wade blowing up the Vandy return man and Bua vs Tenner.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 09, 2014, 08:54:31 pm
Steve Atwater

I second this.

Atwater stands out, but McFadden, Bua, Hamlin, and Kennedy are on that list.

HogFanatic

Quote from: rusvegashog on May 09, 2014, 09:21:30 pm
Atwater. My personal faves Bua and Ola. Little dudes bringin the thunda. Have to admit when I read the thread title the first thing I thought of was Marquel Wade blowing up the Vandy return man and Bua vs Tenner.

Haha
You or I could have hit that Vandy return man that hard. That was the most disgraceful play I have ever seen as a Hog's fan. I wanted him kicked off the team then and there.

PonderinHog

Quote from: MTBrookHog on May 09, 2014, 08:54:20 pm
Dennis Winston
Larry Jackson
Billy Ray Smith Jr.
First three that came to mind.  I'm also surprised Kiero has been mentioned yet.

1highhog

Some of you guys maybe forgetting Dennis Johnson speaking of small fellas bringing the hurt.  DJ could make it thunder. 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1dDmxmswlYU

rude1

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 09, 2014, 08:54:31 pm

Steve Atwater

Agree with above.  I remember when he first showed up at the Bronco's practices.  One of the coaches said the staff could see he was.... "a player".... from the very start.  Believe he was a QB in high school.  That position change certainly turned out well.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 09, 2014, 08:51:59 pm
And if you want, who do you think is the hardest hitter of them all
The "thumper" Wayne Harris, of course Mr. Steve Atwater, Tony Bua, Dan Hampton, Billy Smith Junior (and from what I understand senior as well), Cliff Powell (put on a one man show and clinic in the '69 Texas game ask Steve Wooster who's face is still partially plastered on the floor of DWRRS), the "Dirt" (as in Winston) just to name a handful.

PorkSoda

Quote from: rusvegashog on May 09, 2014, 09:21:30 pm
dont forget dallas washington

Dr. Starcs

urkillnmesmalls

I guess you can't call him the hardest hitter, but Shawn Andrews used to pancake guys on about every third block.  People forget how dominant he was at his position while he was here.  Well...until the last game.   :(

I think it's easy to say Atwater, but in truth...I think Kennedy actually hit harder in college during his time here.  You would think that in our history there would be one linebacker that would be unanimous in this discussion, but there isn't. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HogFanatic

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 09, 2014, 09:38:53 pm
dont forget dallas washington

That was the 'Ole Steiner Brothers double suplex move.
An epic hit.

"And two players are still down".

The translation in that is, "Arkansas just kicked USC's ass on that play".
Unfortunately that was the LAST of the ass kicking in that game.

rusvegashog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 09, 2014, 09:23:10 pm
Haha
You or I could have hit that Vandy return man that hard. That was the most disgraceful play I have ever seen as a Hog's fan. I wanted him kicked off the team then and there.
[/quote
No doubt.  That's where my brain took me though and say what you want about the choices he made but dude was oozing with ability. Like the ability to still your laptop if you left your door unlocked.

SemperFi

Steve Atwater. He's probably my all time favorite Razorback with DMac a very close second. Atwater would just lay the wood to anyone and everyone. No argument about Kennedy and Hamlin's ability to hit, but Atwater did it better than anybody I've ever seen in a Hog uniform.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

panhandlepig

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 09, 2014, 09:53:24 pm
That was the 'Ole Steiner Brothers double suplex move.
An epic hit.

"And two players are still down".

The translation in that is, "Arkansas just kicked USC's ass on that play".
Unfortunately that was the LAST of the ass kicking in that game.

It kinda reminds you of that fight that breaks out where the smaller guy gets a good punch on the bigger guy when he's not really ready.  You're thinking it might be a good match with the quickness advantage, and then the big guy gets a hold of little guy and it quickly turns into a bad night for the smaller guy. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

HogFanatic

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 09, 2014, 10:11:16 pm
It kinda reminds you of that fight that breaks out where the smaller guy gets a good punch on the bigger guy when he's not really ready.  You're thinking it might be a good match with the quickness advantage, and then the big guy gets a hold of little guy and it quickly turns into a bad night for the smaller guy.

Yeah. And in this particular fight the bigger guy proceeds to jump up and down on the face of the guy laid out on the floor.
Like dancin' a jig on his head and stuff.

WizardofhOgZ

Atwater and Wayne "Thumper" Harris.  Also Cliff Powell.

The Galloping Ghost

"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

rlamb

Atwater was the plain old hardest hitter of all time in Football at any and all levels as witnessed by his mental shattering hit on defending NFL rushing champ Okoye in 90 in
that Monday night game when they had Atwater wired for a potential hit like that happened.

Just by the fact that Atwater was 6'4" and maybe 225 and Okoye was 6'1" and 265. Most of the other so called hardest hitters like the criminal Jack Tatum were just plain dirty and hurting receivers stretched out for a pass like Darryl Stingley.

Even Butkus' tackles were mainly mauls and not surgical atomic strikes against players 40 pounds his heavier like Okoye's to Atwater's. Then there was the Super Bowl when Atwater knocked out 3 players from Green Bay in one lick! Their All-pro tight end and a wide receiver plus himself.

1highhog

Quote from: rlamb on May 10, 2014, 01:34:38 am
Atwater was the plain old hardest hitter of all time in Football at any and all levels as witnessed by his mental shattering hit on defending NFL rushing champ Okoye in 90 in
that Monday night game when they had Atwater wired for a potential hit like that happened.

Just by the fact that Atwater was 6'4" and maybe 225 and Okoye was 6'1" and 265. Most of the other so called hardest hitters like the criminal Jack Tatum were just plain dirty and hurting receivers stretched out for a pass like Darryl Stingley.

Even Butkus' tackles were mainly mauls and not surgical atomic strikes against players 40 pounds his heavier like Okoye's to Atwater's. Then there was the Super Bowl when Atwater knocked out 3 players from Green Bay in one lick! Their All-pro tight end and a wide receiver plus himself.

Atwater is in my top 3 all time favorite Razorbacks, but I'd have to say Ronnie Lott was the most feared hitter and toughest sob that was just and old school football player playing in the modern game.  http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d810a6799/Top-10-Gutsiest-Performances-Ronnie-Lott

Hogeration

plumbhog

How many on here were at the game with Pacific in Little Rock 1988? Arkansas won the game 63-14 and most of the crowd stayed till the very end because of guy named Jeff Wewetzer. Nobody wanted to miss out on one of the hits he delivered. That man delivered some of the hardest hits I ever seen during that game. On kick off coverage he was like a guided missel running downfield and would just blow up the return man.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: 1highhog on May 09, 2014, 09:31:42 pm
Some of you guys maybe forgetting Dennis Johnson speaking of small fellas bringing the hurt.  DJ could make it thunder. 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1dDmxmswlYU

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Steef

Quote from: 1highhog on May 09, 2014, 09:17:40 pm
Atwater was not a great hitter until he reached the NFL.  If we were going greatest Razorback hitter all time including NFL Steve Atwater wins going away.

There's some truth to this.

Strictly in a Hog uni....

Billy Ray
Kenny
Tony

jkstock04

Quote from: 1highhog on May 09, 2014, 09:17:40 pm
Olu would lay the wood to someone as well as Bua.  Atwater was not a great hitter until he reached the NFL.  If we were going greatest Razorback hitter all time including NFL Steve Atwater wins going away.

Personally I would put Bua as a very close second for this hit alone:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PBBOBm6-0Ao

What's funny to me is he was awful in his younger years as a Hog...routinely got run over. But by his careers end he had blossomed into a pretty good player.

I would have to throw Kennedy or Hamlin as a toss up overall....but the thing is most of these hits we remember would be 100% illegal now days. I remember someone posting a video of a Kennedy hit on here a while back, everyone saying how awesome it was. Lol he knocked some guy cold to be sure, but he did it leading with his head...wAs a helmet to helmet collision. Those types of hits will get you kicked out of a game now if you ain't an Alabama player.

Personally I think the players like mentioned in this thread are a dying breed mainly because football is now discouraging it. What's in nowadays looks to me like is these coaches try and teach/emphasize these secondary players more so on stripping the ball than tackling.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HornetHog

Quote from: steefhog on May 10, 2014, 07:21:47 am
There's some truth to this.

Strictly in a Hog uni....

Billy Ray
Kenny
Tony

Above is Extremely accurate...but I would have to say Kenny, Tony,..then BR. Although I have 4 screws in my shoulder thanks to BR, I think the other two had much more room to build up speed prior to impact giving their hits a little more dramatic "Pop".
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

HornetHog

Greg Lasker could lay the wood as well.  Although not on D,...you did not want to have to tackle Marshall Foreman with a full head of steam
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

HogFanatic

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 10, 2014, 07:32:19 am
Personally I would put Bua as a very close second for this hit alone:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PBBOBm6-0Ao

What's funny to me is he was awful in his younger years as a Hog...routinely got run over. But by his careers end he had blossomed into a pretty good player.

I would have to throw Kennedy or Hamlin as a toss up overall....but the thing is most of these hits we remember would be 100% illegal now days. I remember someone posting a video of a Kennedy hit on here a while back, everyone saying how awesome it was. Lol he knocked some guy cold to be sure, but he did it leading with his head...wAs a helmet to helmet collision. Those types of hits will get you kicked out of a game now if you ain't an Alabama player.

Personally I think the players like mentioned in this thread are a dying breed mainly because football is now discouraging it. What's in nowadays looks to me like is these coaches try and teach/emphasize these secondary players more so on stripping the ball than tackling.

I remember that watching that hit on TV when it happened. Was hilarious. Bua hit those dudes so hard they were pissed off about it. As if it were unfair or something. He straight blew those dudes up.

Chief Hog

icouldntthinkofagoodname

razorbackkid

Bobby Petrino "stuck" it to us pretty good.   ;)

Atwater is my pick.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

OptimusHog

Can't believe no one has mentioned Casey Dick yet.