Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Column: Mike Anderson Insists He'll Win a National Championship

Started by Jim Harris, May 09, 2014, 04:59:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

grayhawg

Quote from: aredwolfrazorback on May 09, 2014, 05:31:46 pm
well thank God for that. now i feel better.
You probably don't remember but folks didn't believe Nolan when he said the same thing.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

aredwolfrazorback

Quote from: grayhawg on May 09, 2014, 05:59:04 pm
You probably don't remember but folks didn't believe Nolan when he said the same thing.

sorry i couldn't resist the obligatory first negative response
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

rzrbackramsfan

We are!! Can not wait to see these hogs now that Anderson has the culture and his players in place.  The practice facility can't get here soon enough.

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 09, 2014, 07:35:21 pm
We are!! Can not wait to see these hogs now that Anderson has the culture and his players in place.  The practice facility can't get here soon enough.

The practice facility should help out a lot on recruiting.  Maybe Arkansas can become one of the top schools in the sec like it was in the 90s. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

3kgthog

I'm trying not to feel this way, but he sounds like Nutt at the end when he knew his seat was getting warm. Mike almost seems to be begging for forgiveness or a stay of execution.

He speaks in terms of close calls and promises, but the current rules will not allow his style of play to win. By style of play I mean sloppy, disorganized defense played with the hands and not the feet. The turnovers we force are a smoke screen for the easy layups we allow and the huge FT differences we usually face. It's like playing 6 on 5 against teams with good guards we can't hack the ball away from.

I love Mike and want him here, but it's time to show something. Don't tell me every year that we're a player or two away or that we got so close the prior season. Adapt your system to the rules, teach better defense, and stop getting in your own way.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 10, 2014, 09:53:52 am
The practice facility should help out a lot on recruiting.  Maybe Arkansas can become one of the top schools in the Nation like it was in the 90s. 

I had to fix that for you.  I believe as late as 98, We were the winningest program in the 90s.  We were ahead of Duke, Kentucky and UNLV.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 10, 2014, 10:37:00 am
I'm trying not to feel this way, but he sounds like Nutt at the end when he knew his seat was getting warm. Mike almost seems to be begging for forgiveness or a stay of execution.

He speaks in terms of close calls and promises, but the current rules will not allow his style of play to win. By style of play I mean sloppy, disorganized defense played with the hands and not the feet. The turnovers we force are a smoke screen for the easy layups we allow and the huge FT differences we usually face. It's like playing 6 on 5 against teams with good guards we can't hack the ball away from.

I love Mike and want him here, but it's time to show something. Don't tell me every year that we're a player or two away or that we got so close the prior season. Adapt your system to the rules, teach better defense, and stop getting in your own way.
3khog loves mike but wants results NOW!! He's tired of these lame-A$$ excuses and promising us later what we should already have in a pathetic attempt to keep your job.

He may keep you around ma but you need to change your stupid defense that doesn't work anymore, ok?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on May 10, 2014, 10:37:27 am
Lol. Not gonna happen. Don't you have to at least make the tournament?

What isn't going to happen?

jdlew

You are correct

jdlew

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 10, 2014, 11:18:12 am
3khog loves mike but wants results NOW!! He's tired of these lame-A$$ excuses and promising us later what we should already have in a pathetic attempt to keep your job.

He may keep you around ma but you need to change your stupid defense that doesn't work anymore, ok?

You are also correct

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

East TN HAWG

There is a big difference between Nutt and Anderson.  Anderson has actually experienced a national championship as an asst. coach.  Anderson may never win one; however, he's been on the big stage a few times. 

Swinesong1

Gotta love the "fans" who continue to turn anythng remotely positive into a negative.  It completely baffles me! 

jabberjawls

Sorry, but I just don't see it with the current players or the ones we've recruited.

BigBlueHell

Louisville won a national championship in 2013 playing that way.
My 2 favorite teams...my Arkansas Razorbacks and whoever is playing Kentucky.

pigture perfect

Quote from: East TN HAWG on May 11, 2014, 08:45:11 am
There is a big difference between Nutt and Anderson.  Anderson has actually experienced a national championship as an asst. coach.  Anderson may never win one; however, he's been on the big stage a few times. 
I think you are stretching a little because of your Nutt hatred.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Marshfieldhog

Losing player like McClure and Allen isn't going to help mike win it all. He has to step it up in recruiting.

jdlew

Quote from: BigBlueHell on May 11, 2014, 02:53:52 pm

Louisville does not play defense like MA.....No one plays that crazy  Kamikaze double team the ball all over the court and leave the shooter wide open defense the we play....there is nothing fundamentally sound about it...

bruisemeister

Its not as difficult as it once was. Granted the Hogs have not made the NCAA the past 6 years but it can be done. Nothing against UCONN but they have won 2 in the past 4 years by playing well when it counted. They finished 8th in their conference one year and were 2 weeks from a 30 point loss this year. Michigan wasn't really a team that was picked to go far in the NCAA the year before but they made it to the title game. Wichita State could have very easily beat Louisville the same year and made it to the title game. They were an 8th seed. Kentucky lost to us twice and a bad South Carolna team but still made the championship game this year. Their team in 2011 was weaker but made the final 4. The upper echelon teams get the great recruits but they stay one or two years. Experience is important. Some teams have won with mainly freshman and sophomores such as Kentucky 2 years ago, Floridas first championship team and Syracuse in 2003 but its rare. The Hogs got on a roll late in the year. All it takes is doing something like that in the NCAA tourney. Its a lot simpler than winning in football.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: jdlew on May 11, 2014, 11:31:32 pm
Louisville does not play defense like MA.....No one plays that crazy  Kamikaze double team the ball all over the court and leave the shooter wide open defense the we play....there is nothing fundamentally sound about it...

You must not know too much about basketball....

SexyBeast77

nextlevel

LOL.

Scheme/Strategy =/= Fundamentals.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

z1on

My mind continues to be blown by the amount of low IQ imbeciles this fan base has.

jabberjawls

My mind continues to be blown by the amount of Kool-Aid drinking imbeciles this fan base has.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BigBlueHell on May 11, 2014, 02:53:52 pm

Anyone that thinks Arkansas and Louisville play similar defense isn't watch one or both teams enough.

Louisville is much more controlled, disciplined and fundamental.

Hawg Red

Quote from: nextlevel on May 12, 2014, 12:59:07 pm
LOL.

Scheme/Strategy =/= Fundamentals.

Louisville's players are noticeably more fundamental than Arkansas'.

Kevin

The time for talk & excuses are over.

Just win games & get to the tournament
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Cresthog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 12, 2014, 02:54:01 pm
Louisville's players are noticeably more fundamental than Arkansas'.

What about Mizzou's D his elite 8 year?

His system requires experience and upperclassmen. I'm willing to give it another year and see how things pan out. Especially finally cutting off all the Pelphrey fat.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Cresthog on May 12, 2014, 03:12:06 pm
What about Mizzou's D his elite 8 year?

Probably the closest thing he's had to anything resembling Louisville.

Quote from: Cresthog on May 12, 2014, 03:12:06 pmHis system requires experience and upperclassmen. I'm willing to give it another year and see how things pan out. Especially finally cutting off all the Pelphrey fat.

I'm willing to give it two more years, though we need to make the tournament this year.

Johnboy

So after 1-2 years are yall that are "willing to give him" going to just stop watching the games?  Curious what the repercussions are for Mike.

Mick Hogger

That defense beat KY twice and a couple of free throws would have sank FL.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Johnboy on May 12, 2014, 03:51:55 pm
So after 1-2 years are yall that are "willing to give him" going to just stop watching the games?  Curious what the repercussions are for Mike.

5 years is long enough in basketball to get a program going, especially for a coach like Anderson who was hired with the belief that he was a coach that could turn a program around. So, if after the 5 season, he does not have the program in the NCAA tournament, I would want him to be let go. Would I still watch the games? Of course. Don't be ridiculous. In fact, that's actually pretty dumb to suggest. I would just be of the opinion that we need a new coach.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Mick Hogger on May 12, 2014, 03:58:06 pm
That defense beat KY twice and a couple of free throws would have sank FL.

And missed the NCAA tournament. And lost in the 2nd round of the NIT.

There's work to be done.

Jim Harris

It's funny you'd say that, because at the Heber Springs event, they showed the DVD (at least parts of it) before the thing started so as to get to the part where Scotty hits the go-ahead 3-pointer. I had forgotten all the wide-open 3-pointers Arkansas allowed Duke in that game that Collins and Capel both missed. Everybody talks about how Nolan's teams hacked the hell out of people without being called, but they also trapped and left shooters wide open. Or, in hindsight, maybe they weren't leaving "shooters" open since those guys couldn't hit under pressure.

Remember, too, the Carolina game in the 1995 Final Four when Arkansas led that one guard, George whatshisname (an Italian last name that escapes me at this moment), shoot about 11 3-pointers wide open and he missed them all.

Two nights later against UCLA, they let freshmen hit wide open baseline jumpers and the Hogs also let UCLA have 6 offensive put-backs in the second half, which were ultimately the difference in the score, losing by 11.

I'd rather be lucky than good, but on most nights back then, Arkansas was both. It was nice.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Oklahawg

Fine read.

A bit of a head-scratcher that some don't see progress. I do agree that "close" is not "good enough" at some point. I do not agree that we have passed that point in the road.

Further, really troubling that pessimists conveniently overlook MA inheriting an academic nightmare as well as a completely dysfunctional roster.  Academic success now allows for the staff to add an academic risk (or, what the heck, continue to get better AND do-right in the classroom). MA should finally have a roster that looks like a roster, let alone a roster capable of being a MA roster. The first part of the equation - academics - did not allow for a retooling of the latter part of the equation - roster makeup.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Jim Harris on May 12, 2014, 05:30:23 pm
Remember, too, the Carolina game in the 1995 Final Four when Arkansas led that one guard, George whatshisname (an Italian last name that escapes me at this moment), shoot about 11 3-pointers wide open and he missed them all.

Dante Calabria
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Jim Harris

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 12, 2014, 05:38:40 pm
Dante Calabria

Thank you, HA.

George Jetsoni, Dante Calabria — I just knew it was Italian-y. Now pass the red sauce ....

Jim Harris

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 12, 2014, 05:34:28 pm
Fine read.

A bit of a head-scratcher that some don't see progress. I do agree that "close" is not "good enough" at some point. I do not agree that we have passed that point in the road.

Further, really troubling that pessimists conveniently overlook MA inheriting an academic nightmare as well as a completely dysfunctional roster.  Academic success now allows for the staff to add an academic risk (or, what the heck, continue to get better AND do-right in the classroom). MA should finally have a roster that looks like a roster, let alone a roster capable of being a MA roster. The first part of the equation - academics - did not allow for a retooling of the latter part of the equation - roster makeup.

I guess what people see (and I think I'm hearing it too at times) is this "we're close" deal, or "we're just a point guard away," or "we're just a Corey Beck and a Clint McDaniel away" or something, and it's like Nutt when he kept saying during the last few seasons, "I'm just an Anthony Lucas away." He said "We're close" a thousand times. Eventually, we know that will wear out with the fanbase, but it was interesting to see folks eating it up the other night. He's good enough to still manage that, like Nutt was for quite a while.
I would hate to be back here in two years hearing, "We could really be something next year if Bobby wasn't moving on....We have almost all the pieces in place."

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Oklahawg on May 12, 2014, 05:34:28 pm
Further, really troubling that pessimists conveniently overlook MA inheriting an academic nightmare as well as a completely dysfunctional roster.  Academic success now allows for the staff to add an academic risk (or, what the heck, continue to get better AND do-right in the classroom).

The first part of the equation - academics - did not allow for a retooling of the latter part of the equation - roster makeup.

Arkansas was one APR score away from being out of the APR penalty box when he came in, which didn't even reflect his program when it was eventually released (the latest numbers reflect 2011-12).

Nearly every new coach will want to re-tool when they arrive. Arkansas saw five players transfer out over MA's first two seasons (Peterson, Bryant, Clarke, Abron, Nobles), not to mention at least one scholarship remained open each year as well. The opportunity to build his roster at a quicker pace was certainly available.

These are simple facts. They're not altogether popular, but they are facts nonetheless.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Jim Harris on May 12, 2014, 05:44:38 pm
I guess what people see (and I think I'm hearing it too at times) is this "we're close" deal, or "we're just a point guard away," or "we're just a Corey Beck and a Clint McDaniel away" or something, and it's like Nutt when he kept saying during the last few seasons, "I'm just an Anthony Lucas away." He said "We're close" a thousand times. Eventually, we know that will wear out with the fanbase, but it was interesting to see folks eating it up the other night. He's good enough to still manage that, like Nutt was for quite a while.
I would hate to be back here in two years hearing, "We could really be something next year if Bobby wasn't moving on....We have almost all the pieces in place."

Were close is an accomplishment. Why? Because just three years ago when mike came in we were far away!  Like, one of the worse in the sec. So if were continually close get restless, but this is the first time we have been for a long while.

rzrbackramsfan

Anybody that is fed up about our basketball program: why are you so impatient?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 12, 2014, 07:53:58 pm
Were close is an accomplishment. Why? Because just three years ago when mike came in we were far away!  Like, one of the worse in the sec. So if were continually close get restless, but this is the first time we have been for a long while.

It's really a matter of evolving perspective. Initially, when he was hired, many felt MA would take that first recruiting class ("best in more than a decade") and excel right away. Obviously reality wasn't in agreement, and our fans adjusted their expectations SOMEWHAT. We've made obvious strides, but can we sustain the gradual improvement if and when Bobby goes pro in a year or two? Certainly the majority of fans didn't expect to be going into year four without a Big Dance appearance when MA was hired (no matter what some will say in response). Malik Monk is now being recruited by Duke, Kentucky, & Kansas, although KU is the only one to offer at this point. If we lose him, what will expectations become?

Everyone loved the idea of HDN coming back home and inspiring a winning mentality with his 'National Championship Under Construction' mantra when he was hired. But as we all learned, coming back 'home' doesn't always produce a storybook ending. One of the two reasons I didn't want MA to be hired was that I didn't want to see him tarnish his legacy here if he didn't meet expectations. Nutt suffered that eventuality, albeit mostly because of his own ego, even though he did bring us back much farther than where Danny Ford left us.

I expect the Hogs to take a step another step forward next season, but not one so large that will appease the masses for years to come. Malik Monk can help immensely, but we certainly need far more than just him to sustain a high major program.

rzrbackramsfan

So why do you think ma needs one star player to have a good team.  He doesn't he just needs lot of players, but he can get us into the tourney with what he is doing now. It just takes probably 2-3 years to build it up.  He's been building it up, you admitted that. So what is their really to talk about?

High Octane Hog