Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ugliest helmets in college football history

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 09, 2014, 02:51:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Something I ran across today.  In light of our seemingly constant uniform/helmet talk, I thought this might be of interest.  I'll have to admit, I learned some things about uniforms of the past I didn't know.  Just goes to show you how much things have changed these days.  You simply didn't have the ability to see other teams 40 years ago like you can today; so things happened and if you weren't someone who was watching the games of a particular team in person, you never knew they happened.

Note, too, how many of the helmets in this slideshow are from the last couple of years.  Is there a message in that?

http://www.lostlettermen.com/slideshow/cfb-top-10-ugliest-fbs-helmets-ever/?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

EastexHawg

Without even looking at the list...Maryland.

mevskithog

Poor VA Tech...They just can't seem to get it right.

pigture perfect

The one that is suspiciously absent is Penn St. I have never seen an uglier helmet. Not even Maryland's regurgitated flag.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Shorttimer

Since the topic is helmets, I have a confession--

I think Michigan's helmets look stupid.  I always have.  It's like the whole world is trying to play a joke on me.  Every time the topic comes up, people talk about how awesome Michigan's helmets are. 

I feel better now that I've gotten that off my chest.

thirrdegreetusker

Looked through the list. Wow, dems some ugly-*ss helmets.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 09, 2014, 03:04:38 pm

The 2011 turtle shell model made them look like a crash test dummies. The other had to have been a Picasso work, or some iteration of naval vessel camouflage.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

1highhog

Quote from: Shorttimer on May 09, 2014, 03:16:35 pm

I think Michigan's helmets look stupid.  I always have.  It's like the whole world is trying to play a joke on me.  Every time the topic comes up, people talk about how awesome Michigan's helmets are. 

Same here.  Since I was a young lad of 11, I thought Michigan had a God awful looking helmet.  I mention 11 because that was the first I ever saw it in color.

lefty08

for what its worth, the stone helmet is awesome imo
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 09, 2014, 03:04:38 pm
And.........Meeecheeegannnnnnnnnnnnn

pigture perfect

Michigan's helmets are not even unique. Rhode Island has he same pattern as well as a couple of others in the FCS.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hoghearted

Wow I thought I was the only one who hated Michigans helmets
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Mike Irwin

The '62 FSU helmet is so goofy it's funny. We've been laughing in the sports studio for the last 10 minutes. You can actually buy one of those things on Ebay for $160.

[attachment deleted by admin]

phadedhawg

Quote from: lefty08 on May 09, 2014, 03:45:01 pm
for what its worth, the stone helmet is awesome imo

No...just no....just no...

lol

Well maybe...it's so ugly, maybe it's cool.

But I will confess I thought the Tulsa helmet was kinda cool.  Very far out there

1highhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 09, 2014, 04:28:28 pm
The '62 FSU helmet is so goofy it's funny. We've been laughing in the sports studio for the last 10 minutes. You can actually buy one of those things on Ebay for $160.

Now, if I was a person that got my feathers ruffled, meaning, those that wear their feelings on their sleeve, then that would just be the helmet to do it, and Indian would have every right to get pissed off at that one.

nextlevel

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 09, 2014, 04:16:38 pm
Michigan's helmets are not even unique. Rhode Island has he same pattern as well as a couple of others in the FCS.

Michigan wasn't the first school to use that design.

And yes, several FCS schools use the same pattern.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Big Poppa Z

I've never cared for Fresno State's horrid domes.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: 1highhog on May 09, 2014, 04:43:07 pm
Now, if I was a person that got my feathers ruffled, meaning, those that wear their feelings on their sleeve, then that would just be the helmet to do it, and Indian would have every right to get pissed off at that one.

An Indian getting their feathers ruffled?
Retired Radio Host

Bacons Rebellion

To be fair, Rhode Island's helmet is a copy of the Los Angles Rams.

Delaware copied the Michigan helmet when they had a coach from Michigan in 1951.

Michigan COPIED their helmets from Princeton in 1938

Princeton copied them from somebody else in 1935.

Ohio State wore similar helmets before Michigan.

HornetHog

Totally 2nd that...100%
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

Hoggish1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 09, 2014, 04:28:28 pm

Ha, ha...  They've since gotten it right...

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Hoggish1 on May 09, 2014, 08:12:37 pm
Ha, ha...  They've since gotten it right...

Not in my opinion.
Florida State has always had the ugliest uniforms (not only helmets) in all of college football in my opinion. Red and gold don't belong together, IMO. At least, not that particular shade of red.

aar0n

That website made my iphone go insane... Can anybody post the stone helmet?

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

aar0n

The stone helmets could've been really badass done differently, like maybe a solid stone look.

+1 PorkSoda, thanks

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

SemperFi

Maryland....ugliest helmet, ugliest uniform and the ugliest shoes in all of college football.

Goofiest helmet belonged to the '62 FSU Seminoles.

Several of the other's were just bad misses and I have to agree about the Michigan helmet being one of the ugliest in college football, but to their credit they've stuck with it. Every time that I see the Buckeye helmet tattooed with mini pot plants it always makes me giggle.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I feel ya man....
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jacobp

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 09, 2014, 08:24:43 pm
Not in my opinion.
Florida State has always had the ugliest uniforms (not only helmets) in all of college football in my opinion. Red and gold don't belong together, IMO. At least, not that particular shade of red.
Yours is the minority then, because fsu consistently wins fan votes for favorite helmets and uniforms

razorback44

Because they copied it from Michigan...
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Mike Irwin

Quote from: jacobp on May 10, 2014, 07:28:48 am
Yours is the minority then, because fsu consistently wins fan votes for favorite helmets and uniforms
What fans? FSU fans? I agree that their blood red and gold colors are a bad mix. Like white socks and black dress shoes. The 'Noles can stuff it.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 09, 2014, 08:32:45 pm

what is up with the chicken feet
Sammy Hagar wore this at a concert the other night.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 10, 2014, 09:25:37 am
What fans? FSU fans? I agree that their blood red and gold colors are a bad mix. Like white socks and black dress shoes. The 'Noles can stuff it.

Well . . . here you go from the same folks . . . the 20 "Best" Helmets . . . check out #8.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/slideshow/college-fb-top-20-best-helmets/

Now, I'm not claiming that there is any particular validity to this or other "rankings" you might find on the internet, but I will agree that FSU is one that I consistently hear being one of the fan favorites.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 10, 2014, 11:16:30 am
Well . . . here you go from the same folks . . . the 20 "Best" Helmets . . . check out #8.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/slideshow/college-fb-top-20-best-helmets/

Now, I'm not claiming that there is any particular validity to this or other "rankings" you might find on the internet, but I will agree that FSU is one that I consistently hear being one of the fan favorites.

Following in ESPN's footsteps of ranking the best NFL helmets, we rank the college game's top 20 lids. (NOTE: Rankings based on aesthetics, tradition, meaning, originality, and place in college football history, among other factors.
---------------

Just the opinion of this website. I see no evidence that these rankings are fan based.

kimjongsqUeAl

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 09, 2014, 05:40:46 pm
An Indian getting their feathers ruffled?

Didn't ASU have a jumping joe ugly helmet at one time?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Tejano Jawg

I especially like the repeat offenders. Seems once you have a bad helmet, you might as well have another one. Notre Dame's sad and droopy shamrock is hilarious...for something that's NOT that hard to draw, ND found a designer who couldn't.

We all knew Maryland's clown costume would be here, but I gotta admit—even tho it's ugly—I kinda like the concept of their turtle shell helmet.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Bubba's Bruisers

Those vomit looking Mizzou helmets from 2012 were, well, an absolute disaster.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on May 10, 2014, 07:38:32 pm
Those vomit looking Mizzou helmets from 2012 were, well, an absolute disaster.

You mean the one where, unless you were strung out on LSD, you couldn't see the tiger?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on May 10, 2014, 07:44:15 pm
You mean the one where, unless you were strung out on LSD, you couldn't see the tiger?

Yeah, that yellowish looking puck on a brown helmet.  Looked like chicken feathers to me.  Very nice design.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

SemperFi

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 10, 2014, 09:25:37 am

The congregation stood and said, "AMEN, BROTHER"!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

WizardofhOgZ

Mike, I simply posted this particular ranking because it was from the same site as the Ugliest helmet link I posted in the OP of this thread.  But I also ran across 3 or 4 other helmet rankings and all but 1 had FSU ranked relatively high.

I don't claim it's scientific.  But I will say I frequently have heard over the last 20+ years from various other fans (from many different schools, not just Hog fans) say that the FSU helmet is a favorite.  So my personal opinion is that if you DID have a valid survey, it would be in the top 10.  Again, that is my considered opinion about what such a poll would yield, not my vote one way or another for my personal opinion of that helmet.

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 10, 2014, 11:27:36 am

Following in ESPN's footsteps of ranking the best NFL helmets, we rank the college game's top 20 lids. (NOTE: Rankings based on aesthetics, tradition, meaning, originality, and place in college football history, among other factors.
---------------

Just the opinion of this website. I see no evidence that these rankings are fan based.

BOAR_N2BWILD

how about Texas with a huge burnt orange uterus on it
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on May 10, 2014, 09:32:59 pm
how about Texas with a huge burnt orange uterus on it

And it got dumber when they started putting their numbers above it.

Hoggish1

I think you are mistaken.  RI has Ram's horns (RI Rams), and lately R
                                                                                                     I

010HogFan

Y'all are crazy. Florida State's uniforms are bad to the bone.

hogcard1964

Some of the best in my opinion:

Kentucky
Alabama
Penn St.
Georgia
Texas
Arkansas
Iowa
Arizona St.
Oklahoma

LZH