Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The best that never was....

Started by DLUXHOG, May 08, 2014, 06:09:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DLUXHOG

Roland Sales???   Ike Forte???  Jerry Eckwood????   Your thoughts?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Poker_hog

Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

PygmalionEffect

yes

and

Ben Cowins, James Rouse, Cedric Cobbs, Dickey Morton

All great college RBs that couldn't make the transition for some reason.

Eckwood made it, he just got injured in an era when they couldn't fix a knee once you broke it.

James Rouse might be the biggest disappointment of that group in terms of his hype coming out of high school.  I don't remember any injury problems but that was a long time ago, so maybe there were reasons.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

rupert

Eckwood....a sad story for sure...

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

porkchopsdontfloat

The world will little note, nor long remember, the debates that distract us from what really matters, but it will remember that we wasted our lives calling strangers on the Internet retarded for liking the wrong things.

WilsonHog

Quote from: rupert on May 08, 2014, 06:43:00 pm
Eckwood....a sad story for sure...

Definitely. An unbelievable talent.

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

bolo

R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Billy Warren should get some consideration as a talent cut short by injury...
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

pignparadise

Larry Gardner. Averaged 25.1 tackles for a 10 game season. Had 39 tackles in one game against state champ Hot Springs Lakeside. Both are still state records more than 40 years later. In todays recruiting world he would have been a 5 star. Signed with Arkansas in 1975 and got into dispute with Linebacker coach Harold Horton and left the Razorbacks. His one on one linebacker drills with Dennis Dirt Winston when Larry was a freshman are still stuff of legend.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

jseinfeld50

Eckwood and Shabazz. Have heard people say Keniko Logan.  Marcus Jefferson (LB) from Pine Bluff.

TOM "tbw1"

Leon "Muscles" Campbell.  Never healthy as a Razorback.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Pigsknuckles

I can't believe the name Matt Jones hasn't yet come up. Hands down was my favorite Razorback to watch, and the one I had the highest hopes for in the bigs. And now, one of my biggest disappointments.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

yraciv

yraciv

Someone needs to clarify what the best that never was is? Best not to pan out in college or best not to pan out in the pros?

Wild Bill Hog

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: yraciv on May 08, 2014, 10:50:46 pm
Someone needs to clarify what the best that never was is? Best not to pan out in college or best not to pan out in the pros?

Valid point.

CDBHawg

Sed76

I thought Mark Pierce was going to become a beast for us.

rusvegashog

Shabazz. For me it will always be Madre Hill. The Matt Jones deal still perplexes me though?

secfan30

Quote from: Poker_hog on May 08, 2014, 06:36:13 pm
Shabazz

/thread

Best athlete, maybe Matt Jones was close thanks to his size and speed, just didn't have the grades... What could have been

jseinfeld50

Vin Ascolese and Lloyd "World" B. Free

SDZ_Hog

Madre Hill, Dedrick Poole, Cedric Cobbs

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 08, 2014, 07:01:58 pm
Ju Ju Harshaw

My mother was working in the ER at university hospital when he broke his ankle. Said he was the biggest dude she'd ever seen at that time.
This is my non-signature signature.

ldfergu

Mallett?

So far anyways, really hope he gets traded today

PorkRinds

Quote from: jseinfeld50 on May 08, 2014, 08:24:56 pm
Eckwood and Shabazz. Have heard people say Keniko Logan.  Marcus Jefferson (LB) from Pine Bluff.

Keniko was amazing to watch.  I watched him play starting in junior high, and the dude was just a beast.  Too bad he's in prison for murder.

TrueBlue

TrueBlue

TrueBlue

East TN HAWG

Fatmanhog

to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

Soonerman12

Ever? Marcus Dupree and it's not close.

Hogs? Shabazz.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

thirrdegreetusker

Eckwood.

As a highschooler being recruited, eveyone, all over the country thought he was the equal of Earl Campbell.

Eckwood blew out a disc in his back summer before enrolling at UA. Sent to Canada for some kind of radical (at that time) treatment, consisting of injecting papaya enzyme into the disc to promote rapid recovery. Actually played some toward the end of the 74 season, although, looking back, cannot understand why he did not redshirt.

Took off like gang busters in Fall '75. Was averaging 150 yards a game, and over 7 yards per carry. Then blew out the knee in mid-season.

Rehabbed so hard that he created a muscle imbalance in his "bad" leg, thus triggering a string of hamstring pulls that, just about the time he looked healed, he would pull that hammy again. I do not know if he played a down in Fall 77.

Had a solid season in Fall 78, still averaging close to 7 a carry, all the while throwing ferocious lead blocks for Ben Cowins on sweeps out of the veer.

So talented that Tampa Bay took him in the 3rd round, with the 60th pick, despite all his injuries.  Joe Montana was taken with the 82nd pick.

Eckwood gained over 100 yards in his pro debut, one of only 11 NFL rookies to have ever done so, at that time. Played three years at Tampa Bay, leading them in rushing in 81.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

old hog

Willie Cutts, Jerry Eckwood, Shannon Wright (sadly), Gary Hobbs and Mark Pierce.

SDZ_Hog

rickm1976

Jerry Eckwood by a mile.  He could/would have been an NCAA and NFL legend if not for the knee injury.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

icouldntthinkofagoodname

HornetHog

Robert Brannon - Most unbelievable athletic human.
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

TMc

welchog

Quote from: PygmalionEffe7uct on May 08, 2014, 06:38:28 pm
yes

and

Ben Cowins, James Rouse, Cedric Cobbs, Dickey Morton

All great college RBs that couldn't make the transition for some reason.

Eckwood made it, he just got injured in an era when they couldn't fix a knee once you broke it.

James Rouse might be the biggest disappointment of that group in terms of his hype coming out of high school.  I don't remember any injury problems but that was a long time ago, so maybe there were reasons.
Rouse had a shoulder that popped out    one minute out...pop...back in

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Dirttrackhog

All time marcus duprey... I think espn even has a 30 for 30 titled the greatest that never was..

As a hog, Mustain.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on May 08, 2014, 10:41:29 pm
I can't believe the name Matt Jones hasn't yet come up. Hands down was my favorite Razorback to watch, and the one I had the highest hopes for in the bigs. And now, one of my biggest disappointments.
not sure he could be considered....he was just lazy and a dopehead. 

PP

Pork Twain

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 11, 2014, 01:01:39 pm
not sure he could be considered....he was just lazy and a dopehead. 

PP
Yup
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Roberto Shields for sure.  Who is he?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/