Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OK, so who was the most under rated player for the Hogs all time?

Started by Mike_e, May 08, 2014, 06:07:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_e

Let's start with Anthony Eubanks.

4 years, 44 games.  153 catches.   2440 yards.   15.9 YPC.   16 TDs.

If you needed a third down conversion that guy was money.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

YIKES

"When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you." Nietzsche

Hawgphish

TOM "tbw1"

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HornetHog

Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

ScotchHog

Clarification requested.

Underrated by...

The media?
The fanbase?
Me?
Always waiting

tophawg19

Shannon Wright was another one we never saw his potential as was brendon cook . so sad to see young lives lost . Cherico was a beast . if he could have ever kept his weight up no telling how far he would have gone
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ScotchHog

Quote from: ScotchHog on May 08, 2014, 09:48:59 pm
Clarification requested.

Underrated by...

The media?
The fanbase?
Me?

I suppose it doesn't really matter.  The answer is the same.
Players like this don't just grow on trees:

Always waiting

plumbhog

bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

Rzrbk63

Legball13

Bo Mosley Defensive back

He was there the same time as Batman Carroll and Lawerence Richardson , and while those two would get burned time after time, because they had 4.3 speed they would start then once they got burned  they would put BO in and shut tings down.

MountieDawg

SEC!

bigbadhog

Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

HogFanatic

Quote from: ScotchHog on May 08, 2014, 09:54:23 pm
I suppose it doesn't really matter.  The answer is the same.
Players like this don't just grow on trees:

Didn't this guy punt the ball backwards once?

HeismanHawg

Caleb Miller is one who comes to mind. Sam Olajabutu is another.

Dr. Starcs

Dowell Loggains.

(He coulda done a better job calling plays than our 'offensive coordinator' those years)

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

acey33

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 08, 2014, 07:04:14 pm
Tony Cherico

Tony was an All American and All SWC.  That would be considered highly rated at the time.  But for what he accomplished, he does not get the respect today for what he earned on the field.  I think he should be ranked right there with Wayne Martin.

Another player that should be on the list is an old friend of mine Ray Lee Johnson.  He was all SWC, and he played in the league for 10 years with Chargers and Broncos. 

Dark Helmet Hog

thirrdegreetusker

Casey Dick

When he graduated, he was #3, or better, all-time at UA in almost all meaningful positive passing categories. Yet, to believe some people, you would think he played QB like a converted tackle.

Some folks think Mustain was better, yet their '06 stats were nearly identical, with Casey playing the tougher part of the schedule.

Lost the starting job in '07 but, instead of pouting, hung in there to come of the bench and beat LSU with his last pass as a Razorback. 

litmachog

When you start out a walk on and end up being All American and drafted, I would consider that under rated to begin with.  Can't beat that.

I sure would have loved to see what he could have done for the Colts.

pigture perfect

Bo Lacy. He played the other OT with Shawn Andrews. Bo was a beast.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

duck slayer

Has to be Tavarious Jackson. 

Completely unused at AR with less than 200 yards of total offense, but moved on to a DII school and showed enough to get drafted in the late second round (higher than Mallett, fwiw) and has gone on to spend the last 8 years as a starter or backup in the NFL.  Mopped up the Super Bowl victory for Wilson and the Seahawks.

I don't know if that counts as "under rated" or most improved or something else, but it has always stood out to me as an amazing underdog transition story. 

Big Poppa Z

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: East TN HAWG on May 09, 2014, 11:41:11 am
Tony was an All American and All SWC.  That would be considered highly rated at the time.  But for what he accomplished, he does not get the respect today for what he earned on the field.  I think he should be ranked right there with Wayne Martin.

Another player that should be on the list is an old friend of mine Ray Lee Johnson.  He was all SWC, and he played in the league for 10 years with Chargers and Broncos. 

This is exactly why I put him down and what I thought the question was about.  He was a total stud and played so much bigger than he was.  He was highly honored during his time here...but no one remembers him or talks about him when "all time greats" are mentioned.  That is why I think he is underrated. Tony seemed to make every tackle when he was in the game, yet most folks barely remember him for how great he was.
Retired Radio Host

daBoar

Dominicanhog

HammusArkansus

HogFanatic

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 09, 2014, 02:25:26 pm
Casey Dick

When he graduated, he was #3, or better, all-time at UA in almost all meaningful positive passing categories. Yet, to believe some people, you would think he played QB like a converted tackle.

Some folks think Mustain was better, yet their '06 stats were nearly identical, with Casey playing the tougher part of the schedule.

Lost the starting job in '07 but, instead of pouting, hung in there to come of the bench and beat LSU with his last pass as a Razorback.

I was thinking the same thing earlier today when I read this OP.

EastexHawg

Fred Talley is a great choice.  He was the best back on the roster every year he was a Hog, but most fans only had eyes for the home state boy Cedric Cobbs.

I'll go with Bill Burnett.  He set the SWC record with 49 career TDs and for many years held the NCAA Division 1 record for most consecutive games scoring a TD. He still holds the Arkansas record for career TDs despite the fact that freshmen weren't eligible when he played...as well as the single season mark with 21.

Despite all that, I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I have seen someone else mention his name.

MushroomCloudHog

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MushroomCloudHog on May 09, 2014, 09:47:16 pm
Zac Painter.

:o

I'll tell you who was underrated.  Rossi Morreale.  No way anyone saw him as a TV show host.  Grossly underrated. 

Oh...this is at football?  Ooops.  I'll change my pick to DMAC.  Huh?  Follow me here.  How in the world he didn't win the Heisman either time he was nominated is unreal to me.  The guy was the best football player in CFB in both of those two seasons, so how can he not be considered underrated? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HogFanatic

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 09, 2014, 10:03:21 pm
:o

I'll tell you who was underrated.  Rossi Morreale.  No way anyone saw him as a TV show host.  Grossly underrated. 

Oh...this is at football?  Ooops.  I'll change my pick to DMAC.  Huh?  Follow me here.  How in the world he didn't win the Heisman either time he was nominated is unreal to me.  The guy was the best football player in CFB in both of those two seasons, so how can he not be considered underrated?

No dude. Just no.

McFadden finished runner-up for the Heisman two consecutive years. Everyone in the freakin' country knew who he was.

The question isn't who is the best under rated player, but the MOST under rated player.

MushroomCloudHog

authur=Ashley Schaeffer l ink=topic=567509.msg8986276#msg8986276 date=1399691382]
No dude. Just no.

McFadden finished runner-up for the Heisman two consecutive years. Everyone in the freakin' country knew who he was.

The question isn't who is the best under rated player, but the MOST under rated player.
[/quote]

Are you talking about that number 5 Guy that was running for all of those yards and touchdowns? who was he? I feel like I should remember who he is.....

EastexHawg

Troy Smith led the nation in pass efficiency as the QB of the undefeated,  number one (at the time of the Heisman vote) team in the nation.  In the season's final game,  against the also undefeated #2 team, he was dominant.  For the season he threw something like 30 TD passes and 5 interceptions.

The year Tebow won the Heisman he was second in the nation in passing and set an outrageous SEC record with something like 58 touchdowns.

McFadden was a great player, but to claim it was robbery that he didn't win a Heisman simply isn't true.

whosiskid

Vaughan Lusby.

A bit undersized, but the best open field tackler I've ever seen.

Two plays that I remember.

Arkansas versus Texas. Earl Campbell was in the open field with only Lusby between him and the goal line. Lusby was about 5'10, 175, Campbell about 230. Lusby just cut Campbell down. Broke his jaw in the process, but still, Campbell didn't have a chance.

But his best play ever was in the Orange Bowl. Arkansas went out to a quick lead, but it looked like Oklahoma was going to score when Elvis Peacock broke downfield around right end, no one between him and the goal line except his All American and Outland Trophy winning teammate Greg Roberts, who weighed about 255. Peacock was a big back for the time, around 215, and Vaughan Lusby. With both Roberts and Peacock running full speed, Lusby managed to elude Roberts block and then cut Peacock down, saving a touchdown.

All in all, it was maybe the greatest tackle that I have ever seen a Razorback make.

By the way, Roberts was taken in the second round of the NFL draft while Peacock was drafted in the first. So Lusby, besides giving away over a hundred pounds to the two of them, showed up some very serious talent.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 09, 2014, 10:09:42 pm
No dude. Just no.

Yes.  Just yes.  He was underrated, because he didn't win the Heisman.  I knew someone would disagree, and that's fine, but by NOT winning it, he was underrated. 

Some of you guys need to look up the definition of the word underrated.  It has NOTHING to do with their popularity.  It's whether they were FULLY acknowledged for their talents, or if people undervalued their talents.  DMAC's were undervalued.  He was the BEST player those two seasons.  UNDERRATED. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

HogFanatic

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 10, 2014, 08:28:54 am
Yes.  Just yes.  He was underrated, because he didn't win the Heisman.  I knew someone would disagree, and that's fine, but by NOT winning it, he was underrated. 

Some of you guys need to look up the definition of the word underrated.  It has NOTHING to do with their popularity.  It's whether they were FULLY acknowledged for their talents, or if people undervalued their talents.  DMAC's were undervalued.  He was the BEST player those two seasons.  UNDERRATED.

Two time Doak Walker award recipient and a first round NFL draft pick...

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 09, 2014, 10:03:21 pm
How in the world he didn't win the Heisman either time he was nominated is unreal to me.  The guy was the best football player in CFB in both of those two seasons, so how can he not be considered underrated? 

He didn't win it because he didn't win a championship, and he didn't win a championship because of Nutt.

And I follow your logic.   
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07