Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you had to pick a cross division rival...who would you choose?

Started by Ugly Uncle, May 08, 2014, 01:25:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TOM "tbw1"

One of the greatest pleasures in being an alumnus of a school in the SEC is being able to hate West Georgia State School of Farming at Opelika and EOE-E.  I know it comes from an Alabama site but this statement covers my feelings.

I[/i]t is hoping for the stadium to blow up when Auburn plays Tennessee.[/color]

For that matter I hate Tiggers, Colonel Rebel, Cowbells and hope to be sitting in Bryant-Denny watching Arkansas run the clock out with a five touchdown lead.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

sportster365

I'd say the Gamecocks or Gators. Both SC and Arkansas entered the SEC at the same time so beating them year after year still has some appeal to it. On the flip side I'd say Florida. I get so ticked on how all too often we somehow get snubbed by the officiating crew when playing the Gators. So any chance we get to sock it to 'em is always worth it.

ZERO

My vote is for Kentucky. Easiest conference game. We need as many easy wins as we can get in the SEC, especially if it moves to nine games. It's the same reason I'm for playing Arkansas State. They'll win maybe one in 20 games - not nearly enough to hurt our perception or take recruits, and we can fill an OoC slot with a patsy under the guise of a "rivalry" game.

A rotating cast of six or seven SEC teams are always going to be good any one given year, and we usually have to play four of them every year. Kentucky (or maybe even Vanderbilt) all the way.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: pillowhog on May 08, 2014, 10:03:49 am
I can't imagine anyone "loving" Spurrier. 
Quote from: porkrindjimmy on May 08, 2014, 10:07:12 am
He is a guy, who I stated above, tells it like it is....he sugarcoats nothing and zero fricks are given....something this world is lacking today.

I didnt much care for his dismissing DMAC on the heisman ballot after he torched him for 320+ yards, but it is what it is.....

I like the guy

PRJ

There is a reason why he is called the "Ole Ball Coach."  He is nothing but total football unless he is on the back nine somewhere. 

Anyone who downgrades his coaching ability or the ability to motivate players has not really watched football games over the last 25 years. 

And, PRJ, he may make off the wall statements but most of the time they are backed up on the field.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

HogFanatic

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" WILSON on May 08, 2014, 11:57:09 am
One of the greatest pleasures in being an alumnus of a school in the SEC is being able to hate West Georgia State School of Farming at Opelika and EOE-E.  I know it comes from an Alabama site but this statement covers my feelings.

I[/i]t is hoping for the stadium to blow up when Auburn plays Tennessee.[/color]

For that matter I hate Tiggers, Colonel Rebel, Cowbells and hope to be sitting in Bryant-Denny watching Arkansas run the clock out with a five touchdown lead.

Your hatred should be an inspiration to us all. Death to America

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Magic_Hogg

FL for exposure to FL recruits.  Would need to beat them at least once every 3 years though or otherwise would have the reverse effect.

WizardofhOgZ

And I, conversely, am overjoyed to have them off our schedule.  For the most part, S. Carolina is Mizzou without the benefit of being close to us.  Neither side really wanted the match-up . . . we were the bastard children paired together . . . and were so far from each other that neither side traveled well to the games.  It's true they finally got better in the last 3 or 4 years, but once Spurrier leaves they'll slide down again.

Plus - we got ZERO recruiting benefit from playing them (name the last player we signed from S. Carolina).  On the other hand, while Missouri is hardly a hotbed for recruits, they do have some (in particular, in Kansas City and St. Louis areas) and it is a much easier sell based on proximity.

I do feel that in time, we'll develop a nice little rivalry with Missouri.  That was never going to happen with S. Carolina.  Going forward, it's just another SEC game, whenever it shows up on the schedule - as it should be.

Quote from: hoglady on May 08, 2014, 11:05:17 am
I wish we could have kept So Carolina.
They were most always ranked and we had their number for the most part (not accounting for the last 2 years).

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

thefisher

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on May 08, 2014, 02:06:12 pm
Kentucky. I agree with ZERO.
Largely agree.  IN THE SEC TAKE A WIN ANY WAY YOU CAN GET IT!

Missouri may have the potential to be a decent rivalry game given time. It seems like it is one the Hogs should win a good percentage of the time. Either one might help our recruiting in the those states given their proximities.

The one wildcard in all that for me is how Stoops has increased the Kentucky recruiting quality since arriving on the scene. He is digging deep into Ohio. A natural ground for him .... but one Kentucky has never really exploited before. It will be interesting to see if it actually bears fruit on the field for them.

I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 08, 2014, 10:53:01 am
Our proximity to Mizzou makes it the logical choice in my view.

I know a lot of fans don't feel this way now but that game has real rivalry potential.
Agree.

I know many want to position Arkansas as "never having to stoop so low as to think of Missouri as a 'rival'....". (One post above referred to Missouri as "our retarded younger brother"....).

But let's face it, we share a long border with them. They have a chance to be good every so often (um, SEC Championship game last year).  And it would really piss us off to lose to them -- "Love to hate them" has a lot of appeal when rivalries are forming....

thefisher

Quote from: Chic-Hog-Oh on May 08, 2014, 02:26:32 pm
Agree.

I know many want to position Arkansas as "never having to stoop so low as to think of Missouri as a 'rival'....". (One post above referred to Missouri as "our retarded younger brother"....).

But let's face it, we share a long border with them. They have a chance to be good every so often (um, SEC Championship game last year).  And it would really piss us off to lose to them -- "Love to hate them" has a lot of appeal when rivalries are forming....

Agreed.  All really valid points.  By the way, your avatar is hilarious!  I laugh every time I see it. It's Thursday .... +1 for the great avatar!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 08, 2014, 01:25:51 am
We Hogs fans haven't really cared that much.  It has been South Carolina, and it has been some good games, but not really a big rival/hatred game.

We have been given Mizzou now.  Ehhh...that isn't to bad, maybe one will develop.

But if you could choose on of the teams from the East that you just love to hate and would want to play them every year...not taking into consideration what that team already has as a rival...who would you choose?

I would choose TN or Florida.  TN was a big rival when we first came into the SEC.  Still hate them.  It is a big time win on our schedule when we play them.  I hate them almost as much as I hate TX.

Florida I said only because of recruiting in that area.  I'd be willing to give the cry-babies down at LSU Missouri and us take Florida.  Problem solved.

I have no desire to ever play Mizzou in anything.

I liked the SC series.  Not a rival but I don't care about trying to force rivalries.  SC provided us exposure in the eastern part of the conference without having to play UGa or UF.  We may not sign many from the Carolinas but we do from Ga and Fl.  We don't need exposure in Missouri.  Unfortunately our campus is too close to Missouri.  This series will bring nothing but annoyance with having to deal with Mizzou fans. 

If not SC, then Tenn for interest or Vandy for wins.  Something seems to happen too often when we play UK. 

Too bad the SEC expanded for so many reasons.  In this discussion about scheduling, it is going to create situations where we see some teams from the East too sparingly while also sticking us with a now regional opponent that gives us nothing in terms of bringing a national brand or interest to the matchup.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HeismanHawg

Whoever we can consistanly beat 9 out of 10 times. Which leaves probably Vandy or Kentucky (which ironically our record isn't that great against either)

pcolapiggy

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 08, 2014, 01:25:51 am
We Hogs fans haven't really cared that much.  It has been South Carolina, and it has been some good games, but not really a big rival/hatred game.

We have been given Mizzou now.  Ehhh...that isn't to bad, maybe one will develop.

But if you could choose on of the teams from the East that you just love to hate and would want to play them every year...not taking into consideration what that team already has as a rival...who would you choose?

I would choose TN or Florida.  TN was a big rival when we first came into the SEC.  Still hate them.  It is a big time win on our schedule when we play them.  I hate them almost as much as I hate TX.

Florida I said only because of recruiting in that area.  I'd be willing to give the cry-babies down at LSU Missouri and us take Florida.  Problem solved.

Tennessee is definitely my first choice. (my step-dad and cousin are both ol' smokies) I'd also have to go with UF because I hate them so much since I moved to Florida.  Their fans are the worst...aside from bama fans.  Also, more exposure in Florida I guess.  (not south florida but WTH ever)

pcolapiggy

Quote from: Chic-Hog-Oh on May 08, 2014, 02:26:32 pm
Agree.

IMO that's all the reasoning we need.  It's the closest school to us by far and I really think we have the potential to still hate them 20 years down the road.  Gonna miss playing those corndogs down south the day after Thanksgiving though

I really hate them

HogScoutMaster

"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 08, 2014, 07:51:17 am

...No one mentioned them, but I like playing SC.  I have really grown to dislike Spurrier, even though I'm not sure how much longer he'll continue coaching.  If he was our coach, I'm sure his outspoken back handed digs and comments wouldn't bother me as much, but as it is...he's just dissed our program one too many times, with the biggest being leaving DMAC completely off his Heisman ballot.  The patronizing comment last season didn't sit to well with me either...  :puke:

What I remember from last years SC game is CBB and CSS talking before the game, near the 50 yd. line, which was OK, and after they finished conversing they gave each other a freakin' HUG... :puke: :puke: :puke:
College football HAS! changed.
Are you kiddin' me? Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler were turning over like a rotisserie. WTH
CSS is a good coach and it was always a pleasure to kick his @$$.

" GO HOGS "

SirCHog2

Missouri.  Not for what it will be this year, but for the out years.  The schools are close enough to allow more fans to travel for the away games. 

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

lefty08

Quote from: pillowhog on May 08, 2014, 09:49:27 am
Tennessee is starting to roll in recruiting.  #5 class in 2014 and #7 for next year.  They will be dominant again in 2 years.  Dooley was also a huge joke

see ole miss. recruiting ranking dont always mean they get better

besides, either u didnt even read the OP's opening statement, or u just cant comprehend the question.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HogFanatic

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 08, 2014, 04:01:15 pm
What I remember from last years SC game is CBB and CSS talking before the game, near the 50 yd. line, which was OK, and after they finished conversing they gave each other a freakin' HUG... :puke: :puke: :puke:
College football HAS! changed.
Are you kiddin' me? Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler were turning over like a rotisserie. WTH
CSS is a good coach and it was always a pleasure to kick his @$$.

" GO HOGS "

Bielema clearly respects AND likes Spurrier. Which he should, they are cut from the same cloth personality wise. Some of these other guys around the conference he will not be nearly so pleasant with. Guarantee you you will never see him hugging Malzahn or Miles. Hayes and Schembechler would have been awesome to see. Before my time. But Hayes is legendary for his temper. I was stationed with a guy in the military who's brother was a cheerleader for Michigan. He told Hayes "good game" after Michigan had beaten them and Hayes punched him in the face. HAHA!

Anyways, Bielema has a touch of that Big10 attitude in him, but South Carolina isn't a real rivalry for us. I'm glad to see it in the rear-view. Bring on Missouri.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 08, 2014, 05:39:41 pm
...South Carolina isn't a real rivalry for us. I'm glad to see it in the rear-view. Bring on Missouri.

As much as I read and hear that Missouri is not a natural/worthy rival for the Razorbacks, I look forward to beating the SEC East SECCG representative, this year.

Forced or not, this permanent cross division match up will evolve into a natural rivalry because of the campus's proximity and it is such an easy drive for the fans. The first year that a highly favored participant gets it handed to them will be when the losers fan base will start to "hate" the opponent, maybe sooner. It will evolve.

It is what it is and let's kick their...

" GO HOGS "

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 08, 2014, 07:18:26 pm
As much as I read and hear that Missouri is not a natural/worthy rival for the Razorbacks, I look forward to beating the SEC East SECCG representative, this year.

Forced or not, this permanent cross division match up will evolve into a natural rivalry because of the campus's proximity and it is such an easy drive for the fans. The first year that a highly favored participant gets it handed to them will be when the losers fan base will start to "hate" the opponent, maybe sooner. It will evolve.

" GO HOGS "
Agree. +100

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 08, 2014, 07:18:26 pm

" GO HOGS "

Sadly, I think the reason Hog fans don't see it as a future rivalry, is because many see them as a notch below us.  Historically...true.  Recently...false. 

I think if they whip up on us a few times, there's a good chance a rivalry could evolve from Hog fan's perspective.  I think from the Mizzou side, there's already some hard feelings over the MA thing, and they will feel they have something to prove from a football perspective. 

I could see it developing for sure.  Columbia's not a bad place.  I think our fans will enjoy the game there. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HogFanatic

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 09, 2014, 08:24:25 pm
Sadly, I think the reason Hog fans don't see it as a future rivalry, is because many see them as a notch below us.  Historically...true.  Recently...false. 

I think if they whip up on us a few times, there's a good chance a rivalry could evolve from Hog fan's perspective.  I think from the Mizzou side, there's already some hard feelings over the MA thing, and they will feel they have something to prove from a football perspective. 

I could see it developing for sure.  Columbia's not a bad place.  I think our fans will enjoy the game there.

They whipped our ass the last time we played them and over the last 5 years or so they have proven themselves to be a very solid team.
They may put a whippin' on us again this year, but I like the Hogs' chances.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 09, 2014, 08:27:42 pm
They whipped our ass the last time we played them and over the last 5 years or so they have proven themselves to be a very solid team.
They may put a whippin' on us again this year, but I like the Hogs' chances.

That Cotton Bowl whippin' was ugly.  That's one game that I can honestly say that I wish I hadn't gone to.  Abysmal. 

I like our chances too.  They lost quite a bit, but have some good players returning that are a little unproven to this point.  I think they'll still field more experience than we will.  I didn't watch them a lot last season, but they struggled against UGA even when they were decimated by injuries.  I'm not even going to make a prediction though until I see both teams play. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 08, 2014, 08:15:38 am
LOL.  My favorite answer.

Quote from: jabohog on May 08, 2014, 07:00:50 am
Tennessee, because if it wasn't for them there wouldn't even be a Texas.

Yes! Tennessee - old South with a Mountian culture that matters

Sorry folks - I just can't get pumped up to the idea of Missouri - maybe it's because I live out of state - so I have no interaction with the average Mizxou fan

I think Mizxou andI ask ''Who?''  Not Tennessee that's some one with some history and branding to get excited about hating

Keyser Sooieze

yeah--I agree, Tennessee is the natural choice.  for some reason they seem smitten with Alabama.  Missouri is just as "natural" geographically, and I think will develop into a fine rivalry.  They seem to hate us enough, and we can learn to hate anyone.  No one else in the east is a natural rival in my opinion.  Maybe Kentucky is culturally similar.....but in my opinion, it would be 1. Tenn, 2. Mizzou, 3 Ken.  4. SC just for the past 20 years sake.

redeye

I would pick Missouri, because they're the closest and I've wanted to play them going back to our SWC days.

If I were to pick a rival for strategic reasons, I'd pick Florida; not just for recruiting in Florida, but also for the national exposure and toughness it would create for Arkansas.

If I were to pick a rival for hatred, I'd pick Tennessee.  I don't really hate Tennessee, but I'm still really sour over 3-4 games that we've lost to them.

But mostly, I find it silly how we're constantly looking for a rival, because they're all rivals to me.  Just treat 'em all like rivals and we'll be A-Okay.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 08, 2014, 04:34:39 am
Tennessee would be a good one simply because we share borders with them and I too remember those games against them that were really big games. Florida would be good too, but eventually that program is going to get turned around and I am not sure that we really want to play them every year once they have rebounded.

Problem is, for a true rivalry to exist, I think that both schools have to view it as such. Can we manufacture a rivalry with Tennessee just as the SEC is attempting to do for us with Missouri? Not sure.

Tenn has no lost love for us either. They were the only SEC team we beat on the road our 1st year here...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.