Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iowa State It Is

Started by Jborohog09, May 07, 2014, 01:05:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

May 09, 2014, 12:39:38 pm #50 Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:43:26 pm by Inhogswetrust
The Hogs will not play in a more difficult OOC road game in front of a more loyal and passionate fan base.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

nextlevel

Quote from: -Blu on May 09, 2014, 12:24:45 pm
He was asked about it at the season ending press conference, and he kinda just gave "coach speak" and said that's something we're looking into.  My guess is with the difficulty of our schedule so far with 3 road games, if we do get into a pre-season tourney it's going to be an easy one where we're the favorite to win, something like what Mizzou played in last year, if the staff can't find one like that I would assume they would pass and not risk us having potentially 6 really tough games on the road.

It was a topic discussing potential tournaments a while back.  I thought the perfect pre-season tournament for us would be the Cancun Challenge.  It's one spot available for a host team, and so far the other host teams are Northern Iowa, Northwestern, and Virgina Tech.  Those would be opponents we should easily beat and all be around the 100-150 RPI range, and it looks good that it's on a neutral site.

Here's the link to all the pre-season tourney's

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2013/12/2/5166354/2014-15-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE

There is a balance that has to be kept to schedule to help your roster achieve a level of success.

A knee jerk reaction would be to schedule the toughest teams available, like Bama did last year, and have your season effectively over in December.

Arkansas' schedule did not keep them out of the tournament last year, losing too many games on it did, there is a difference between the schedule and losses on the schedule.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 09, 2014, 12:16:40 pm
Is it a definite that we will be in a non-con tournament, or just something Anderson is pursuing? I know he's says he'd like to get us in one, but I'm wondering if that might not happen with all the road games we're playing.
Well there is only one additional road game than he expected when he mentioned he was working on getting us in one. I know he is still trying to get us in one, but whether it happens or not who knows. If we do, it will likely be one of the smaller ones. We will add at least one major opponent at home, too. We will start hearing about the other games soon as our opponents start to release their schedules.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: jry04 on May 09, 2014, 12:10:18 pm

I sense sarcasm here, but it was his first year here. Look how how much Delvon Johnson and Coty Clarke progressed from year 1 to 2 in the SEC. I expect the same from Harris. He started the season very good, and then went into a slump where he couldn't hang onto the ball, and just wanted to shoot awkward faders. Down the stretch he started attacking the rim, and getting boards to go with it. I expect him to be much better

No I wasn't.  I agree with most of your points. I think he could be really good next year.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: nextlevel on May 09, 2014, 01:22:43 pmArkansas' schedule did not keep them out of the tournament last year, losing too many games on it did, there is a difference between the schedule and losses on the schedule.

Denial ain't a river in Egypt. We were struggling to get into the projected field well before blowing those last few games. Why? Easy:

Bad NCSoS (200+) = bloated RPI (60+)

Roughly 75% of RPI comes from SoS. Have fun spinning.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

rude1

Quote from: nextlevel on May 09, 2014, 01:22:43 pm
There is a balance that has to be kept to schedule to help your roster achieve a level of success.

A knee jerk reaction would be to schedule the toughest teams available, like Bama did last year, and have your season effectively over in December.

Arkansas' schedule did not keep them out of the tournament last year, losing too many games on it did, there is a difference between the schedule and losses on the schedule.
Couldn't have said it better. While everyone wanted to point out the lack of strength in the schedule, the reality was that  the schedule was good for a young team breaking in a lot of new parts. The schedule wasn't the problem, the problem was losing to some bad teams on that schedule. They did well enough against the top teams on the schedule, but didn't take care of business against all of the weaker teams on the schedule. If they do that, we are dancing and not having this conversation.

-Blu

Quote from: rude1 on May 09, 2014, 08:39:16 pm
Couldn't have said it better. While everyone wanted to point out the lack of strength in the schedule, the reality was that  the schedule was good for a young team breaking in a lot of new parts. The schedule wasn't the problem, the problem was losing to some bad teams on that schedule. They did well enough against the top teams on the schedule, but didn't take care of business against all of the weaker teams on the schedule. If they do that, we are dancing and not having this conversation.

Yep.  Or if we just make a free throw against FL or make the layup @Mizz we would have been dancing as well.  Like I said earlier I really hope our staff doesn't pull an Alabama and bite off more than we can chew, and we basically eliminate ourselves from the tournament before conference play even starts. 

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 09, 2014, 12:16:40 pm
Is it a definite that we will be in a non-con tournament, or just something Anderson is pursuing? I know he's says he'd like to get us in one, but I'm wondering if that might not happen with all the road games we're playing.
He's trying to. At one point they were looking in to hosting a tourney at the Bud
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

jry04

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 09, 2014, 08:01:04 pm
No I wasn't.  I agree with most of your points. I think he could be really good next year.
Oh ok. Hard to tell with some posts.

To answer an earlier question, Fla, MO and us have the worst draws in the SEC/BIG12 matchups.  Fla is in the final 4 and goes on the road to KS and MO gets a pretty good OU team at their house.  We need some adversity away from home and now we got it. GOOD.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 09, 2014, 08:20:09 pm
Denial ain't a river in Egypt. We were struggling to get into the projected field well before blowing those last few games. Why? Easy:

Bad NCSoS (200+) = bloated RPI (60+)

Roughly 75% of RPI comes from SoS. Have fun spinning.

It's a chicken-and-egg argument. With a tougher schedule, we likely would have lost more games. I agree that we need to improve the OOC schedule, but we have done so. Now just avoid the sub-300 schools as rent-a-wins.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on May 11, 2014, 07:35:52 pm
It's a chicken-and-egg argument. With a tougher schedule, we likely would have lost more games. I agree that we need to improve the OOC schedule, but we have done so. Now just avoid the sub-300 schools as rent-a-wins.

It's not a chicken/egg argument when you're pointing to the five garbage games we played in December through January 4th. Those games were our doom. We already know we're playing a majority of those games at home, it's just a matter of using proven, historical data like most other successful programs do. The staff didn't accept scheduling help when it was offered the first 2+ times. Moving forward, they no longer have the opportunity to screw up the NCSoS.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hawg Red

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on May 11, 2014, 07:35:52 pm

The schedule doesn't have to be "tougher." No one is saying we need to play more major conference schools. The schedule just needs to be "not as easy." Instead of a SWAC school, schedule a MVC school at home. Instead of a Southland school, schedule an OVC school. Makes literally no difference in win/losses, but strengthens SOS and RPI. Very easy to do.

I understand a lot of people's first reaction is to defend the coaches and the scheduling and all that, but this is really simple. There's no reason why we should have horrible RPI teams on the schedule. You really just have to cut out certain conferences as a whole and go from there.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 11, 2014, 07:48:22 pm
The schedule doesn't have to be "tougher." No one is saying we need to play more major conference schools. The schedule just needs to be "not as easy." Instead of a SWAC school, schedule a MVC school at home. Instead of a Southland school, schedule an OVC school. Makes literally no difference in win/losses, but strengthens SOS and RPI. Very easy to do.

I understand a lot of people's first reaction is to defend the coaches and the scheduling and all that, but this is really simple. There's no reason why we should have horrible RPI teams on the schedule. You really just have to cut out certain conferences as a whole and go from there.

That's easier said than done, I'm sure the staff isn't stupid, they know which conferences usually have higher RPI teams, and they can use google and research teams just like us and make a prediction on teams that should all finish around the 100-175 RPI area.  I could make a schedule right now that could portray that, that's not the problem.  The problem is getting the schedules worked out to where you get those teams and get them on the dates you need, and they are willing and available to play on those dates as well. 

You guys act like this is NCAA College Hoops 2K8 on xbox, where you can literally put together any schedule you want and it automatically works for you and the other team.  Another poster, I believe it was Azhog, already commented on this around the time the schedule released last year that we were having problems getting some teams to want to come play at Bud Walton, and I think he's the guy with an assistant as his friend, he can correct me If I'm wrong.  But, that's the reason the schedule was released so late from what he said.  So, it's not like people are "jumping" to defend the staff, it's using that information provided, and common sense that the staff knows the basics of scheduling and how RPI works.

HawgAdvocate

May 11, 2014, 10:22:13 pm #64 Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:14:21 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: -Blu on May 11, 2014, 09:55:13 pm
That's easier said than done, I'm sure the staff isn't stupid, they know which conferences usually have higher RPI teams, and they can use google and research teams just like us and make a prediction on teams that should all finish around the 100-175 RPI area.  I could make a schedule right now that could portray that, that's not the problem.  The problem is getting the schedules worked out to where you get those teams and get them on the dates you need, and they are willing and available to play on those dates as well. 

You guys act like this is NCAA College Hoops 2K8 on xbox, where you can literally put together any schedule you want and it automatically works for you and the other team.

I've edited my original reply to this because I've said more than you deserve to know. The blind seem to prefer to remain in the dark, for whatever reason.

Stick to video games. Keep thinking our NIT #3 seed was about 'a missed free throw.' Some things aren't meant for everyone to grasp.

Props to Jim Harris, who is indirectly responsible for assuring the men's basketball program will give its best effort to help itself prior to conference play & Selection Sunday for years to come.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 11, 2014, 10:22:13 pm
I've edited my original reply to this because I've said more than you deserve to know. The blind seem to prefer to remain in the dark, for whatever reason.

Stick to video games. Keep thinking our NIT #3 seed was about 'a missed free throw.' Some things aren't meant for everyone to grasp.

Props to Jim Harris, who is indirectly responsible for assuring the men's basketball program will give its best effort to help itself prior to conference play & Selection Sunday for years to come.

I agree with you on how we need rpi 100-150 teams however it probably isn't just that easy or we'd have done so.  What's to argue about that?

-Blu

May 12, 2014, 12:45:10 am #66 Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:57:56 am by -Blu
Quote from: 12247 on May 11, 2014, 06:52:07 pm
To answer an earlier question, Fla, MO and us have the worst draws in the SEC/BIG12 matchups.  Fla is in the final 4 and goes on the road to KS and MO gets a pretty good OU team at their house.  We need some adversity away from home and now we got it. GOOD.

I would say Iowa State on the road next year will be tougher than OU.  Iowa State should be a top 15ish team to start the season, not sure if OU will be ranked or not.

mj4cy

Update - I had said previously last week that ISU lacks size down low with McKay out until second semester. Reports just came in yesterday that ISU landed a 7'-1" kid from Greece that is eligible to play this fall. I don't know much about him other than his recruiting video.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/11/iowa-state-gets-2014-commitment-from-greek-7-footer-giorgos-tsalmpouris/related/

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on May 11, 2014, 09:55:13 pm

You guys act like this is NCAA College Hoops 2K8 on xbox, where you can literally put together any schedule you want and it automatically works for you and the other team.  Another poster, I believe it was Azhog, already commented on this around the time the schedule released last year that we were having problems getting some teams to want to come play at Bud Walton, and I think he's the guy with an assistant as his friend, he can correct me If I'm wrong.  But, that's the reason the schedule was released so late from what he said.  So, it's not like people are "jumping" to defend the staff, it's using that information provided, and common sense that the staff knows the basics of scheduling and how RPI works.

Um, no.

We could schedule D2 schools instead of SWAC schools and it would help our RPI since D2 schools don't count towards the RPI. There's no excuse whatsoever for having a SWAC school on the schedule.

-Blu

May 12, 2014, 09:28:34 am #69 Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:43:17 am by -Blu
Quote from: Hawg Red on May 12, 2014, 09:18:56 am
Um, no.

We could schedule D2 schools instead of SWAC schools and it would help our RPI since D2 schools don't count towards the RPI. There's no excuse whatsoever for having a SWAC school on the schedule.

Good idea.  We can get rivalries going with Henderson and OBU that would be awesome.  ::)

edit: Sorry I was just going to be sarcastic and let that go, but this has taken the cake of being the worst idea of all time.

1.  According to your logic anytime we can't schedule a team that's not within the "Hawg Red Approved Conferences" you schedule a D2 team there.  So, potentially we could have multiple games against D2 opponents, which is significantly less talent than even SWAC teams. So not only would our guys play against significantly less talent, they would also make themselves a laughing stock for scheduling multiple D2 teams.

2.  You want to talk about perception and SOS.  Have multiple D2 teams on your schedule and see if the selection committee, ESPN, CBS and whoever else doesn't rip us apart and make sure we don't make the tournament just to make an example of us so other high major D1 teams don't do the same thing.

3.  If it's that easy, why doesn't other teams do it?  Most I've ever seen a high major school play a D2 team in a season is once.... Never seen a team play multiple D2 teams.  We didn't have the worst SOS in the nation, so I'm assuming scheduling isn't as easy as you make it out to be.  If it was your phone would be ringing and you'd be an SEC adviser for scheduling, since it's not I'm going to assume that people that actually get paid for a living know more about it than you do.

4.  That's just a horrible idea, how did you even come up with that?

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on May 12, 2014, 09:28:34 am
Good idea.  We can get rivalries going with Henderson and OBU that would be awesome.  ::)

Just as meaningful (as is "not very") and less hurtful to our RPI than playing Alabama A&M or MVSU.

Why not? If it's like you say and bad teams from decent RPI conferences won't come here, pay a D2 or D3 school to. The benefits are obvious.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 12, 2014, 09:37:03 am
Just as meaningful (as is "not very") and less hurtful to our RPI than playing Alabama A&M or MVSU.

Why not? If it's like you say and bad teams from decent RPI conferences won't come here, pay a D2 or D3 school to. The benefits are obvious.

Please read post above... horrible idea.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on May 12, 2014, 09:42:12 am
Please read post above... horrible idea.

We're talking 1-2 games against D2 or D3 teams. A number of major D1 teams have done it in seasons past. They're RPI anchors, SWAC and Southland teams.

But I also don't buy into the fact that we couldn't schedule more teams with a better RPI.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on May 12, 2014, 09:28:34 am

edit: Sorry I was just going to be sarcastic and let that go, but this has taken the cake of being the worst idea of all time.

1.  According to your logic anytime we can't schedule a team that's not within the "Hawg Red Approved Conferences" you schedule a D2 team there.  So, potentially we could have multiple games against D2 opponents, which is significantly less talent than even SWAC teams. So not only would our guys play against significantly less talent, they would also make themselves a laughing stock for scheduling multiple D2 teams.

2.  You want to talk about perception and SOS.  Have multiple D2 teams on your schedule and see if the selection committee, ESPN, CBS and whoever else doesn't rip us apart and make sure we don't make the tournament just to make an example of us so other high major D1 teams don't do the same thing.

3.  If it's that easy, why doesn't other teams do it?  Most I've ever seen a high major school play a D2 team in a season is once.... Never seen a team play multiple D2 teams.  We didn't have the worst SOS in the nation, so I'm assuming scheduling isn't as easy as you make it out to be.  If it was your phone would be ringing and you'd be an SEC adviser for scheduling, since it's not I'm going to assume that people that actually get paid for a living know more about it than you do.

4.  That's just a horrible idea, how did you even come up with that?

You're putting a lot of words in my mouth, as usual.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 12, 2014, 09:49:38 am
We're talking 1-2 games against D2 or D3 teams. A number of major D1 teams did it this past season. They're RPI anchors.

But I also don't buy into the fact that we couldn't schedule more teams with a better RPI.

I've never seen a high major have multiple games against a D2 opponent.  I've seen teams have 1 game against them, and sometimes that's not even their choice it happens in tournaments like Maui against Chimnade and they are forced to play those games.

And also you have to remember, even SWAC teams schedule D2 teams, as "Cupcake" games and beat them by 20+.  What good is that going to do us to beat Henderson by 50+ points and let Manny Watkins play the whole second half?  We may as well play not play at all and have another red/white game.

And I was just taking a look at the team with the #1 RPI (Florida) even they played teams with high RPIs (Savannah State 273), (Jacksonville 282), (Southern SWAC Team 171), North Florida (189).

So that theory of yours of eliminating certain conferences is flawed, you can schedule teams in those conference and still have the best RPI in the nation.  What's funny about this I remember arguing with you on "What if" situations about us missing opportunties against Florida and Missouri and you argued so hard about us missing those opportunities is what cost us playing in the tournament, now you've convinced yourself that scheduling was the problem, rather than us just capitalizing on those missed opportunities.

Could the scheduling have been better?  Yea, I'm sure 95% of teams in the nation could say their scheduling could have been better.  Did our schedule cost us the tournament?  Not at all, we were in the perfect position to make the tournament and we blew it against two inferior teams to close the season, end of story.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 12, 2014, 09:56:30 am
You're putting a lot of words in my mouth, as usual.

LOL nice try.  You just realized that idea wasn't all the way thought out.  I didn't put any words in your mouth at all, just gave you the cons of the idea you posted.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on May 12, 2014, 10:05:08 am
I've never seen a high major have multiple games against a D2 opponent.  I've seen teams have 1 game against them, and sometimes that's not even their choice it happens in tournaments like Maui against Chimnade and they are forced to play those games.

And also you have to remember, even SWAC teams schedule D2 teams, as "Cupcake" games and beat them by 20+.  What good is that going to do us to beat Henderson by 50+ points and let Manny Watkins play the whole second half?  We may as well play not play at all and have another red/white game.

What good does it do for us to play a SWAC team? What good does it do our RPI? Answer: It does negative good to our RPI.

Quote from: -Blu on May 12, 2014, 10:05:08 amAnd I was just taking a look at the team with the #1 RPI (Florida) even they played teams with high RPIs (Savannah State 273), (Jacksonville 282), (Southern SWAC Team 171), North Florida (189).

Well, if we could win games like Florida, it wouldn't be a problem. But we can't. So we need to help ourselves.

Quote from: -Blu on May 12, 2014, 10:05:08 amSo that theory of yours of eliminating certain conferences is flawed, you can schedule teams in those conference and still have the best RPI in the nation.  What's funny about this I remember arguing with you on "What if" situations about us missing opportunties against Florida and Missouri and you argued so hard about us missing those opportunities is what cost us playing in the tournament, now you've convinced yourself that scheduling was the problem, rather than us just capitalizing on those missed opportunities.

Again with the words in my mouth. The games against Florida and Missouri did likely cost us a spot in the tournament. But that doesn't mean that we could have beaten a few more teams that had better RPIs and still have lost to Florida and Missouri and made the tournament. That was the whole point of me saying that. We needed those games because of where our RPI and SOS were.

Quote from: -Blu on May 12, 2014, 10:05:08 amCould the scheduling have been better?  Yea, I'm sure 95% of teams in the nation could say their scheduling could have been better.  Did our schedule cost us the tournament?  Not at all, we were in the perfect position to make the tournament and we blew it against two inferior teams to close the season, end of story.

You are correct. Underperforming is what kept us out of the tournament. However, you better your odds with better scheduling. A program like Arkansas needs all the help it can get at this point.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on May 12, 2014, 10:09:45 am
LOL nice try.  You just realized that idea wasn't all the way thought out.  I didn't put any words in your mouth at all, just gave you the cons of the idea you posted.

No, you're trying to say I'm talking about scheduling like 3-5 D2 or D3 teams and that wasn't what I was saying at all. We usually schedule 1 or 2 SWAC teams. I'm pretty sure a D1 school can't even schedule more than 2 schools lower than D1 on their official schedule, so obviously I wasn't saying that.

I'd schedule a D2 or D3 school ten times out of ten over a SWAC school.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 11, 2014, 11:29:10 pm
I agree with you on how we need rpi 100-150 teams however it probably isn't just that easy or we'd have done so. What's to argue about that?

Nearly half (6/13) of the teams on last season's NC schedule had an RPI of 270 or higher. We could have supplanted half of those six with 150-200 RPI teams and possibly still squeaked into the Dance. Imagine the difference in perception this program would have moving forward, in terms of recruiting in 2015 & 2016, if we had made the Dance (and possibly even won a game). Instead, our staff shot themselves in the foot by not taking ten simple minutes to listen to what other teams are doing to stay ahead of the curve and being conducive to change.

Creating a stronger schedule is far easier to do than you think, considering a proven scheduling system and years of aggregate RPI data were made available to the staff on multiple occasions starting in early 2012. The offer was made to have their 'hands held' so they could learn this more modern process (think analyticly, as many NFL/MLB/NBA clubs do now with individual players, just in a different format that focuses on team data) but this staff is old school (aka stubborn). The 'argument' by some is that our NC schedule was not the reason we missed the dance. It's not the sole reason, but it's easily the biggest.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 12, 2014, 10:16:32 am

Again with the words in my mouth. The games against Florida and Missouri did likely cost us a spot in the tournament. But that doesn't mean that we could have beaten a few more teams that had better RPIs and still have lost to Florida and Missouri and made the tournament. That was the whole point of me saying that. We needed those games because of where our RPI and SOS were.

While that may be good in theory, the facts prove otherwise.  We will look at Tennessee as an example.  They played a very tough Non-conference schedule and had a SOS of 23, and only played 3 teams outside the RPI 200 in the Non-Conference, yet they still were in the play-in game and barely made the tournament.  If they blew it against South Carolina like we did they wouldn't have made the tournament.  We were actually in a better position to make the tournament than Tennessee was, had we beat Alabama and South Carolina.  So how can you explain that?  That SOS and all that is fine and dandy, but anybody that watches the the tournament and selection Sunday know it's all about perception.  You can have a mediocre SOS and if you beat some big name teams and get some hype behind your name.

HawgAdvocate

May 12, 2014, 10:36:47 am #80 Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:00:57 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: -Blu on May 12, 2014, 10:32:04 am
While that may be good in theory, the facts prove otherwise.  We will look at Tennessee as an example.  They played a very tough Non-conference schedule and had a SOS of 23, and only played 3 teams outside the RPI 200 in the Non-Conference, yet they still were in the play-in game and barely made the tournament.  If they blew it against South Carolina like we did they wouldn't have made the tournament.  We were actually in a better position to make the tournament than Tennessee was, had we beat Alabama and South Carolina.  So how can you explain that?  That SOS and all that is fine and dandy, but anybody that watches the the tournament and selection Sunday know it's all about perception.  You can have a mediocre SOS and if you beat some big name teams and get some hype behind your name... see NC State, you get in the tournament over other teams with stronger schedules.

Tennessee didn't land a lot of big RPI wins (3-7 vs top 50 RPI), despite a stronger overall schedule. Arkansas had enough big wins (3-5 vs top 50 RPI) but far too many garbage RPI opponents, which bloated our SOS. LOL at 'perception.'

NC State faced just three NC opponents with an RPI above 225, and they won six road games. They had a top 30 SOS.

Your chronic inability to comprehend this is astounding.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 12, 2014, 10:18:21 am
No, you're trying to say I'm talking about scheduling like 3-5 D2 or D3 teams and that wasn't what I was saying at all. We usually schedule 1 or 2 SWAC teams. I'm pretty sure a D1 school can't even schedule more than 2 schools lower than D1 on their official schedule, so obviously I wasn't saying that.

I'd schedule a D2 or D3 school ten times out of ten over a SWAC school.

Now your putting words in my mouth, I never gave a number I just said multiple, and I've never seen a high major school schedule more than 1 D2 school.  I just don't think that's the best solution.

And I think the biggest point we are missing and the point I failed to make, even though I would love for us to had been in the tournament, we didn't deserve to be in the tournament this year point blank.  I said before we played South Carolina, if we can't beat a South Carolina team on a neutral site with our tournament hopes on the line, we didn't deserve to be in the tournament.  Could we edit the schedule to squeak us in?  Maybe, that's debatable like we are discussing now, however with our performances against Alabama, South Carolina, and Cal to close the season, I'm not sure if I would have even wanted to see us get blown out by somebody, just to say we made it.

My goal for this team next year is for us to be good enough to make it in despite SOS, Non-conference, SEC perception and all that.  We got the players returning to do it, just got to get it done.

Anyways I'm off for a while gotta get some work done, nice discussing with you.

nextlevel

Savannah St.
Fresno St.
Howard
Lehigh
TTU
Stanford
Duquesne
Penn St.
Loyla-Marymount
Youngstown St.
Cincinnati
Cal-Poly
Albany

OOC SOS Rank # 271

No way that schedule makes the NCAAs, because of schedule.

Arkansas OOC SOS Rank #238
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: nextlevel on May 12, 2014, 11:19:01 am
Savannah St.
Fresno St.
Howard
Lehigh
TTU
Stanford
Duquesne
Penn St.
Loyla-Marymount
Youngstown St.
Cincinnati
Cal-Poly
Albany

OOC SOS Rank # 271

No way that schedule makes the NCAAs, because of schedule.

Arkansas OOC SOS Rank #238

Yet NC State's conference schedule was easily strong enough to compensate for their NCSoS. That's the power of the ACC. They can afford a weaker NCSoS.

They had 21 conference games, compared to 13 NC. Again, only 3 of their NC opponents had an RPI over 225. We had 6 over 270.

nextlevel

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 12, 2014, 12:01:26 pm
Yet NC State's conference schedule was easily strong enough to compensate for their NCSoS. That's the power of the ACC. They can afford a weaker NCSoS.

They had 21 conference games, compared to 13 NC.

That isn't NC State, but you are all knowing.

ell oh ell

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: nextlevel on May 12, 2014, 12:05:03 pm
That isn't NC State, but you are all knowing.

Oh well, excuse me then. I saw Cincinnati, who NC State played, and assumed incorrectly. At least I can admit when I am mistaken.

You're still talking about an ACC team though (Pitt), so the same principle applies.

But yes, you are right. I am all-knowing.  ;)

nextlevel

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 12, 2014, 12:07:31 pm
Oh well, excuse me then. I saw Cincinnati, who NC State played, and assumed incorrectly. At least I can admit when I am mistaken.

But yes, you are right. I am all-knowing.  ;)

NC State would be another example, as there are others who had a worse OOC SOS from power conferences or Overall SOS than Arkansas (Wichita St. was in the 100s, didn't affect their seeding).

The difference in the selections was when you broke down Wins/Losses, the teams that made it in had better wins and not as bad losses to go along with the higher win totals.

So again, it was the OOC schedule that kept Arkansas out, it was the losses in conference, Arkansas won 21 games with a schedule that would have needed 25-26 wins on it for a bid, difference of 4-5 games, pick out whichever of the 12 losses to replace them with wins, I would start with aTm, Mizzou, Tenn, UGA, SCAR...

ell oh ell

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: nextlevel on May 12, 2014, 12:15:35 pm
NC State would be another example, as there are others who had a worse OOC SOS from power conferences or Overall SOS than Arkansas (Wichita St. was in the 100s, didn't affect their seeding).

The difference in the selections was when you broke down Wins/Losses, the teams that made it in had better wins and not as bad losses to go along with the higher win totals.

So again, it was the OOC schedule that kept Arkansas out, it was the losses in conference, Arkansas won 21 games with a schedule that would have needed 25-26 wins on it for a bid, difference of 4-5 games, pick out whichever of the 12 losses to replace them with wins, I would start with aTm, Mizzou, Tenn, UGA, SCAR...

Pitt had an RPI of 39, and NC State was at 55. Arkansas was 67. Where are you seeing that they had a worse overall SOS than Arkansas?

Every site I see has them both with top 50 overall SOS, while Arkansas was in the 80 range. The ACC plays more conference games than the SEC does, hence an easily stronger SOS. Arkansas can certainly control their OOC schedule far more than they can control how many conference wins they'd need to overcome their OOC scheduling.

Wichita St. lost one game all season, and still had 3 wins against Top 50 RPI teams. They're a no brainer.

nextlevel

I said OOC or Overall, not that one was directly linked the the other but instances of both occurring in fact did.

I'm not disagreeing that a better job of OOC schedule manipulation can occur with a basically the same schedule against mid/low majors resulting in a more appealing final number from the formulas.

There are more factors to scheduling these teams than calling them up and putting them on the schedule, their commitments to other games and/or the cost for to play them is also a factor that has to be considered by the athletic department, as well as other factors like home and home demands, 2 for 1s, home/neutral site, etc.

The original point remains that the OOC portion isn't what kept them out of the tourney last season, the losses on the schedule did. There is no set criteria to making the tourney outside of winning your conference's bid, there is an amount of data the committee can look at and consider, but there isn't one piece of data that makes you a lock or keeps you out, the same piece of data can be disregarded for one team's chances while greatly reducing another team's chances, it isn't a do X receive Y or Z formula.

ell oh ell