Iowa State It Is

Started by Jborohog09, May 07, 2014, 01:05:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorPiggie

I hope they are losing some players.

jry04

Quote from: RAZORPIGGIE on May 07, 2014, 01:06:21 pm
They lose Kane and Ejim for sure. They will still be a good team, though.

Should have a solid non-conference schedule. @Smu, @Isu, @clemson, a non-conference tourney, and a solid home matchup yet to be announced if it all works out.

Fayettechill14

Won't have to worry about non-conference SOS next year.

Road games with SMU, Clemson, and Iowa State are set. Probably will add a home game against a major foe as well.

-Blu

How did we get an away game with them?  They played a home game last year.

jry04

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on May 07, 2014, 01:09:35 pm

Road games with SMU, Clemson, and Iowa State are set. Probably will add a home game against a major foe as well.
We will, and Mike said he is working on a non-conference tourney.

The_Iceman

We now play 3 really tough road non-conference games next season:

@ Iowa State
@ SMU
@ Clemson.

Anyone know if we will be facing a tough OOC team at home?

The_Iceman

There is a chance Fred Hoiberg will be gone before that game happens. A lot of NBA teams are interested in him.

Hawg Red

Nooooooo bitching about non-con schedule next season for sure.

dotnet

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 07, 2014, 01:12:51 pm
There is a chance Fred Hoiberg will be gone before that game happens. A lot of NBA teams are interested in him.

It'll have to be a good fit though.  He really loves ISU.  Think about how good the pro situation would be to make you leave coaching Arkansas - especially if you knew you could do it for the next 20-25 years?

Hopefully Golden State will entice him though...

The_Iceman

There are returning:

- Georges Niang, 6'7" 240lb PF, 16ppg  4rpg
- Dustin Hogue, 6'6" 215lb SF, 12ppg  8rpg
- Naz Long, 6'4" 205lb SG, 7ppg  40% 3pt
- Monte Morris, 6'2" 175lb PG, 7ppg  4apg

Their 2014 Recruiting Class: http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/66/class/2014

razorhead94

Man tough draw for the Hogs at Ames.  This matchup shows how well Arkansas is expected to be next year.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

RazorPiggie

Quote from: dotnet on May 07, 2014, 01:15:12 pm
It'll have to be a good fit though.  He really loves ISU.  Think about how good the pro situation would be to make you leave coaching Arkansas - especially if you knew you could do it for the next 20-25 years?

Hopefully Golden State will entice him though...

351 Division 1 teams only 30 NBA teams. NBA > NCAAB

poloprince

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on May 07, 2014, 01:09:35 pm

Some will still bicker about the scheduling, just wait.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Fayettechill14

Quote from: poloprince on May 07, 2014, 01:40:45 pm

Problem is, if the rest of the OOC games are against the SWAC then it will all be for naught. I understand Mike's desire to help out an HBCU team, but every HBCU not named North Carolina Central will destroy our SOS since all of them have RPIs in the 300s.

Kevin

got to win a couple of those
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Fayettechill14

I'd be fine with:

@ Iowa State     L
@ SMU             L
@ Clemson       W
Everyone else   W

That's 11-2 or 12-2 against a very good schedule. I don't expect to win in hostile road environments like ISU or SMU. We do need to pull at least one road win, though.

razorhead94

Quote from: poloprince on May 07, 2014, 01:40:45 pm

I will bicker if we are playing 6 teams with +300 RPIs again.  That does nothing but ruin your resume'/RPI.  It forces you to have to win all those high quality games.  That was my main beef about last year's schedule.

razorhead94

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on May 07, 2014, 01:45:14 pm
Problem is, if the rest of the OOC games are against the SWAC then it will all be for naught. I understand Mike's desire to help out an HBCU team, but every HBCU not named North Carolina Central will destroy our SOS since all of them have RPIs in the 300s.

This

trashcan maN

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on May 07, 2014, 01:51:36 pm
I'd be fine with:

@ Iowa State     L
@ SMU             L
@ Clemson       W
Everyone else   W

That's 11-2 or 12-2 against a very good schedule. I don't expect to win in hostile road environments like ISU or SMU. We do need to pull at least one road win, though.
I'm with you. I'm not a moral victory guy, but a loss @ a top 25 team's gym at least serves a purpose heading into conference play.

Hawg Red

Need that Clemson win. Anything else is bonus. SMU and Iowa State will likely be top 25 programs at the time we play them.

Big Nasty 34

Definitely not a paucity of decent road games next year! No excuses now!

HOGINTENNESSEE

At Iowa State? We got screwed

catfish07

"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

Swinesong1

They don't presently have much size on their roster but we had better stay disciplined and guard the 3 pt line.  There will be lots and lots of 3ptrs shot.  Also, is McKay (the juco kid we were after) eligilble the first or second semester?  I think he won't be playing until the 2nd semester.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: catfish07 on May 07, 2014, 02:31:30 pm
Who should we have played?

Not the opponent, just having to go on the road. Iowa State has been a very tough place under Hoiberg.

catfish07

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 07, 2014, 02:39:12 pm
Not the opponent, just having to go on the road. Iowa State has been a very tough place under Hoiberg.

It will be a tough game but it is what we need (or so it seems). Thank you for clarifying what you meant. Have a good day!
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

mj4cy

Hey all,

ISU fan here and saw we are hosting you guys next winter. First of all, I'd like to say good luck and I think its a compliment to both teams that we got paired up.

A little info on ISU:

Last year we lost to Uconn in the sweet 16. We were without our hottest player (Georges Niang) who broke his foot in the first round, but still played Uconn closer than anyone else in the tournament.

ISU loses 2 All Americans and Big 12 first teamers in Ejim and Kane, but returns Georges Niang who many ISU fans would argue was the team MVP last year.

Also returning is Dustin Hogue who was the Big 12's second leading rebounder at only 6'6" and put up 34 points on Uconn in the dance. Monte Morris returns at the point who in his freshman year shattered the NCAA record for assist/tournover ratio. Naz Long returns as a backup guard who shot 40% from 3 with shooting 160 of them. He helped ISU win two games wiht buzzer beaters against Okie State last year.

New guys - Jameel McKay, don't know much about him other than he's a freak, but I think he has to sit out when we play you guys. Abdel Nader is a transfer from Northern Illinois, but I confess I do not know much about him. Also, we got UNLV transfer Bryce Dejean Jones who is another Kane type player.

Hoiberg likes to feast on mismatches....if you have small guards, chances are they will be posted up on time and time again. He expects all players to be able to shoot the rock and all players pretty much have the green light. ISU plays at an extremely fast pace and was 2nd in the nation in scoring while 1st in the nation in assists last year.

Hilton is one of the toughest places in the country. ISU has only lost 4 games there in the last three years (one was on a blown call that the Big 12 had to apologize to  ISU for). A couple links to give an idea of the atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tEAQt4_9L4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDLwbivmnL4

How to beat ISU?

If you have good bigs - try to get Niang into foul trouble and then keep attacking down low.
Also, hope ISU is missing their 3s that day.

Good luck, and let me know if any questions on ISU. If anyone is making the trip up to Ames, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Just dress warm. always root for you guys come football season!

rzrbackramsfan

St. Joseph played uconn closer, it went into overtime.

rzrbackramsfan

How many four stars do you have on your roster, also?

mj4cy

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 07, 2014, 04:32:33 pm
St. Joseph played uconn closer, it went into overtime.

Good catch. I guess I was thinking of games sweet 16 and beyond. Now that you mention it, I remember that St. Josephs/UConn game was pretty intense and fun to watch.

mj4cy

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 07, 2014, 04:33:08 pm
How many four stars do you have on your roster, also?

Niang, Morris, Djean Jones, and McKay are 4 stars starters.

Matt Thomas and Clayton Custer are 4 stars that come off the bench.

rzrbackramsfan

Holy crap, your alls starters are legit. Our starters are probably going to be 4 star senior madden, 2 star bell, 3 star qualls, unranked Harris, 5 star mcdaa bobby Portis.

We use lots of depth though and will have 4 star pg beard, 4 star Kingsley, 4 star miles, juco durham, then probably a little bit of 3 stars thompson, babb, and Williams.

Ironhawg

Who got the toughest draw from the SEC?

2014 SEC / BIG 12 CHALLENGE

Wednesday, December 3

Auburn at Texas Tech

Thursday, December 4

Arkansas at Iowa State

Baylor at Vanderbilt

LSU at West Virginia

TCU at Mississippi

Friday, December 5

Florida at Kansas

Missouri at Oklahoma

Texas at Kentucky

Saturday, December 6

Kansas State at Tennessee

Oklahoma State at South Carolina

Hogimus Prime

As long as SEC refs are not being used the Hogs should have a pretty good chance to win this.

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 07, 2014, 01:18:27 pm
There are returning:

- Georges Niang, 6'7" 240lb PF, 16ppg  4rpg
- Dustin Hogue, 6'6" 215lb SF, 12ppg  8rpg
- Naz Long, 6'4" 205lb SG, 7ppg  40% 3pt
- Monte Morris, 6'2" 175lb PG, 7ppg  4apg

Their 2014 Recruiting Class: http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/66/class/2014
They also have a UNLV transfer.

jry04

Quote from: mj4cy on May 07, 2014, 03:55:13 pm
Hey all,

ISU fan here and saw we are hosting you guys next winter. First of all, I'd like to say good luck and I think its a compliment to both teams that we got paired up.

A little info on ISU:

Last year we lost to Uconn in the sweet 16. We were without our hottest player (Georges Niang) who broke his foot in the first round, but still played Uconn closer than anyone else in the tournament.

ISU loses 2 All Americans and Big 12 first teamers in Ejim and Kane, but returns Georges Niang who many ISU fans would argue was the team MVP last year.

Also returning is Dustin Hogue who was the Big 12's second leading rebounder at only 6'6" and put up 34 points on Uconn in the dance. Monte Morris returns at the point who in his freshman year shattered the NCAA record for assist/tournover ratio. Naz Long returns as a backup guard who shot 40% from 3 with shooting 160 of them. He helped ISU win two games wiht buzzer beaters against Okie State last year.

New guys - Jameel McKay, don't know much about him other than he's a freak, but I think he has to sit out when we play you guys. Abdel Nader is a transfer from Northern Illinois, but I confess I do not know much about him. Also, we got UNLV transfer Bryce Dejean Jones who is another Kane type player.

Hoiberg likes to feast on mismatches....if you have small guards, chances are they will be posted up on time and time again. He expects all players to be able to shoot the rock and all players pretty much have the green light. ISU plays at an extremely fast pace and was 2nd in the nation in scoring while 1st in the nation in assists last year.

Hilton is one of the toughest places in the country. ISU has only lost 4 games there in the last three years (one was on a blown call that the Big 12 had to apologize to  ISU for). A couple links to give an idea of the atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tEAQt4_9L4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDLwbivmnL4

How to beat ISU?

If you have good bigs - try to get Niang into foul trouble and then keep attacking down low.
Also, hope ISU is missing their 3s that day.

Good luck, and let me know if any questions on ISU. If anyone is making the trip up to Ames, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Just dress warm. always root for you guys come football season!
Glad to hear that having good bigs is the best way to beat ISU. We will have two very good bigs, with one getting All-American hype going into next season.

Breems

Man, we're in for a much more interesting and difficult non-conference schedule this year.

Mike Anderson will likely be fired 67 times before the conference season even starts.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Dr. Starcs

We do have two good bigs. Unfortunately they don't play at the same time. Hoping that will change at least some next year.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Swinesong1 on May 07, 2014, 02:38:52 pm
They don't presently have much size on their roster but we had better stay disciplined and guard the 3 pt line.  There will be lots and lots of 3ptrs shot.  Also, is McKay (the juco kid we were after) eligilble the first or second semester?  I think he won't be playing until the 2nd semester.

Correct not until December.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 07, 2014, 10:03:39 pm
We do have two good bigs. Unfortunately they don't play at the same time. Hoping that will change at least some next year.
Watch out for alandise!

Danny J

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on May 07, 2014, 01:45:14 pm
Yep.....Have to eliminate the 250+ RPI cupcakes all together. We would be better off scheduling Div II teams since they are not counted against the RPI. I hope we have learned our lesson

jry04

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 07, 2014, 10:03:39 pm
They played together more at the end of the season, and Mike said himself they will play together a lot next year. Clarke is gone, so Kingsley will take most of those minutes available.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 07, 2014, 11:55:45 pm
Watch out for alandise!

Hogville not leaning on Miles this off season? Kinda like we did with Harris last off season.

-Blu

Quote from: RAZORPIGGIE on May 08, 2014, 07:55:51 am
Hogville not leaning on Miles this off season? Kinda like we did with Harris last off season.

I think Miles will be a solid role player for us, I see him as being the 6'7 version of Fred Gulley for us, and I'm talking about the senior second half of season Fred Gulley.  I think Miles will probably play anywhere from 13-18 MPG and will be a great defender, be able to get us hustle plays, and will really excel in our press with his length and his athleticism.  I probably make a guess of about 4.3 PPG, 3.5 RPG, and 1.2 SPG will be Miles numbers.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: RAZORPIGGIE on May 07, 2014, 01:06:21 pm

Also, I hope we are getting some.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: RAZORPIGGIE on May 08, 2014, 07:55:51 am

We thought alandise was going to come in and contribute he slightly underachieved. Upcoming year i think he's Going to be better. 

I think miles will contribute like blu described.

Nothing really extreme about any it that.

jry04

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on May 07, 2014, 01:51:36 pm
I'd be fine with:

@ Iowa State     L
@ SMU             L
@ Clemson       W
Everyone else   W

We haven't even see the rest of the schedule. We will likely play in a preseason tournament as well. We could play as many as 4 or 5 games away from home, plus a game in LR which is never an automatic W with how we play down there.

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 07, 2014, 11:55:45 pm
Watch out for alandise!
I sense sarcasm here, but it was his first year here. Look how how much Delvon Johnson and Coty Clarke progressed from year 1 to 2 in the SEC. I expect the same from Harris. He started the season very good, and then went into a slump where he couldn't hang onto the ball, and just wanted to shoot awkward faders. Down the stretch he started attacking the rim, and getting boards to go with it. I expect him to be much better next season.

As for Miles, he should be a decent role player. Keep in mind he started every game for the WVU team who made it to the NCAAT a few years ago. He was injured quite a bit his sophomore season, though. Don't think he will contribute much scoring, but should help a lot with perimeter defense, and hustle stats.

Hawg Red

Is it a definite that we will be in a non-con tournament, or just something Anderson is pursuing? I know he's says he'd like to get us in one, but I'm wondering if that might not happen with all the road games we're playing.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 09, 2014, 12:16:40 pm
Is it a definite that we will be in a non-con tournament, or just something Anderson is pursuing? I know he's says he'd like to get us in one, but I'm wondering if that might not happen with all the road games we're playing.

He was asked about it at the season ending press conference, and he kinda just gave "coach speak" and said that's something we're looking into.  My guess is with the difficulty of our schedule so far with 3 road games, if we do get into a pre-season tourney it's going to be an easy one where we're the favorite to win, something like what Mizzou played in last year, if the staff can't find one like that I would assume they would pass and not risk us having potentially 6 really tough games on the road.

It was a topic discussing potential tournaments a while back.  I thought the perfect pre-season tournament for us would be the Cancun Challenge.  It's one spot available for a host team, and so far the other host teams are Northern Iowa, Northwestern, and Virgina Tech.  Those would be opponents we should easily beat and all be around the 100-150 RPI range, and it looks good that it's on a neutral site.

Here's the link to all the pre-season tourney's

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2013/12/2/5166354/2014-15-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE