Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Classy Move By Both Mike Anderson and Bret Bielema

Started by Vantage 8 dude, May 07, 2014, 08:55:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

For any of you who might have missed it a very classy move by the head coaches of our two largest sports programs. Both Mike Anderson and Bret Bielema participated in a fund raiser last evening at Dickey-Stephens Park in North Little Rock. The event, designed to help raise monies for tornado recovery in Mayflower and Vilonia, drew a crowd of over 8,000. Admission was free, however, attendees were asked to prove a donation to help the clean up and recovery efforts for the two towns.

Both the HCs, who spoke with the two teams before the game, were prominate not only their attendance, but made themselves available for interviews and pics during the event. It's also been rumored that both men made meaningful financial contributions to the recovery fund(s) as well.

Whatever any of us might think of, favorably or otherwise, either one or both men I think their selfless actions speak volumes of their character and commitment to the state and its people. Like so many other citizens of the "Natural State" they realize that we truly are another's brothers and sisters who have an obligation to our fellow Arkansans in time of need. Kudos to them (and everyone else) for their efforts!!

BTW it's my understanding that over $100k was raised through the event. Once again the "home crowd" comes through in a big way.

Huckleberry Pig

One of the first things I noticed when attending the UofA (from Dallas) was the strong sense of community everyone from Arkansas had for their state.  Have never seen a state where communities take care of each other like Arkansas communities do.  One of the many reasons I hope to move back soon.

Incidents like this definitely put things into perspective.  Great to hear about the coaches taking part, not something either of them had to do.  Thanks for sharing Vintage.

WPS

hoglady

Yes - we should be very proud of both men for standing up when it matters most. A big "thank you" to both coaches for representing themselves and the UofA well.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on May 07, 2014, 09:02:28 am
One of the first things I noticed when attending the UofA (from Dallas) was the strong sense of community everyone from Arkansas had for their state.  Have never seen a state where communities take care of each other like Arkansas communities do.  One of the many reasons I hope to move back soon.

Incidents like this definitely put things into perspective.  Great to hear about the coaches taking part, not something either of them had to do.  Thanks for sharing Vintage.

WPS
You're welcome and thanks for your observations. You're totally correct when you mention the sharing and caring attitude of Arkansans for one another. I have the privilege of working with a nonprofit that interacts with various communities around the state dealing with the homeless, hungry and otherwise needy. I'm constantly amazed, although I shouldn't be, at the genuine caring seen time and time again within this state. A truly "what can I do to help" culture that everyone should take pride in. No wonder Arkansas continually ranks in the top 5 as far as per-capita giving. I suppose one could say that while many in the state may not have a lot to give, what they have they'll readily share with others. Another one of the MANY things that makes me so proud to call Arkansas home.

ifghog

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ifghog on May 07, 2014, 10:00:14 am
Says a lot about them both
Again, I totally agree. I know a lot of folks have issues with one or both of them, however, let no one ever say they don't give back. IMO while we're ultimately paying them for wins, it certainly goes a long way when they're genuinely giving back to the state "above and beyond" what's expected. I suspect there are other big name coaches around the country who might not be so generous with their time and money under similar circumstances.

rzrbk4life

Classy move. Those communities deserve all the support we can give them
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Great move by them, and great thread.  Proud to be an Arkansan.

LRRandy

As the two prominent figures in this Hog loving state I thought it was great that they took time to lend their celebrity and add to the excitement of the event. Hats off to them both.
This is fun, isn't it.

Dark Helmet Hog

secneahog

Donating money is one thing, but to take time out of a busy period in recruiting and coaching game plan to talk to 8000 is amazing.

To hang around and talk, take pictures really shows those two guys character.

Again MA and BB show their class. Proud to have them.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

OLDHOG

Yep. Classy coaches. Makes me Arkansas proud. Ya'll know what I'm talking about.

The_Iceman

rzrbackramsfan

They're awesome! Bret bielemas interview on knwa was funny to me for some reason. He was really positive, smiling: I've actually been through a tornado, one of the scariest moments in my life.

I noticed both coaches were really upbeat.  It was good to see.

Break & Run

We are very lucky to have two great "men" leading our programs.  Not many other schools can say that.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on May 07, 2014, 09:02:28 am

WPS

Bingo!  Also one of my top reasons for returning eventually,........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

farmhawg

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 07, 2014, 08:55:05 am
For any of you who might have missed it a very classy move by the head coaches of our two largest sports programs. Both Mike Anderson and Bret Bielema participated in a fund raiser last evening at Dickey-Stephens Park in North Little Rock. The event, designed to help raise monies for tornado recovery in Mayflower and Vilonia, drew a crowd of over 8,000. Admission was free, however, attendees were asked to prove a donation to help the clean up and recovery efforts for the two towns.

Both the HCs, who spoke with the two teams before the game, were prominate not only their attendance, but made themselves available for interviews and pics during the event. It's also been rumored that both men made meaningful financial contributions to the recovery fund(s) as well.

Whatever any of us might think of, favorably or otherwise, either one or both men I think their selfless actions speak volumes of their character and commitment to the state and its people. Like so many other citizens of the "Natural State" they realize that we truly are another's brothers and sisters who have an obligation to our fellow Arkansans in time of need. Kudos to them (and everyone else) for their efforts!!

BTW it's my understanding that over $100k was raised through the event. Once again the "home crowd" comes through in a big way.
Classy for both of them.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

MrThunderhog

Very inspirational gesture by both coaches to take time from their schedules to show support for the state. I applaud them both.

While my niece was having her first of 2 thus far open heart surgeries at Arkansas Childrens Hospital Bobby and Becky Petrino made a very sizeable donation to redo the waiting room in the CVICU unit to add showers and better sleeping conditions for the parents who chose to stay there at night. 
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MrThunderhog on May 07, 2014, 06:37:03 pm
Very inspirational gesture by both coaches to take time from their schedules to show support for the state. I applaud them both.

While my niece was having her first of 2 thus far open heart surgeries at Arkansas Childrens Hospital Bobby and Becky Petrino made a very sizeable donation to redo the waiting room in the CVICU unit to add showers and better sleeping conditions for the parents who chose to stay there at night.
I asked the same question of another poster who subsequently decided to delete his post: While I know the donation was pledged was it ever actually funded? There seems to be some confusion about this. I certainly have no knowledge either way.

MrThunderhog

Im actually not sure but Im assuming it was because the construction was completed. ill make a phone call or two and see what I can find out. It happened a long time before the scandal so unless there was a long delay in the funding im gonna go out on a limb and say it was. If I find out otherwise I will update accordingly.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Ugly Uncle

Did I hear right that there were more people in attendance at the game than there is actual population of the two towns? 

Either way, what an amazing thing for the entire State that people would show up and support these towns and the kids playing ball.  I'm sure it was an emotional night for everyone there.
Retired Radio Host

Peter Porker

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 07, 2014, 06:52:40 pm
I asked the same question of another poster who subsequently decided to delete his post: While I know the donation was pledged was it ever actually funded? There seems to be some confusion about this. I certainly have no knowledge either way.

The poster didnt delete it. I posted a response that it was "only" $250k and not a million like he said followed by a link, but it too was deleted. I think the mods don't want to dirty this thread with booby talk. Not sure why booby had to be brought up? He has nothing to do with the subject.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

WilsonHog

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on May 07, 2014, 07:26:03 pm
The poster didnt delete it. I posted a response that it was "only" $250k and not a million like he said followed by a link, but it too was deleted. I think the mods don't want to dirty this thread with booby talk. Not sure why booby had to be brought up? He has nothing to do with the subject.

You just poured a truckload of dirt on it.

MrThunderhog

Im not sure whether or not CBP followed thru with his pledge. This is all I could find and it says they wont comment on private donations.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/32396/arkansas-childrens-hospital-cancels-petrino-golf-classic

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MrThunderhog on May 07, 2014, 07:42:43 pm
Im not sure whether or not CBP followed thru with his pledge. This is all I could find and it says they wont comment on private donations.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/32396/arkansas-childrens-hospital-cancels-petrino-golf-classic
Appreciate your trying to get an final answer to the whole issue. Not sure we'll ever know for sure.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

WilsonHog

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on May 07, 2014, 08:28:42 pm
I was only responding.

I know how this goes.

I've cleaned this thread once.

If allowed, what started out as a congratulatory thread for two Razorback coaches will wind up as a Bielema v. Petrino dumpster fire.

If that happens, I'm dropping the hammer on everyone involved for however many days I see fit.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 07, 2014, 08:40:12 pm
I know how this goes.

I've cleaned this thread once.

If allowed, what started out as a congratulatory thread for two Razorback coaches will wind up as a Bielema v. Petrino dumpster fire.

If that happens, I'm dropping the hammer on everyone involved for however many days I see fit.
Thanks for ensuring this discussion doesn't degenerate into a "us" vs Petrino slugfest and debate.

acey33

May 08, 2014, 07:26:50 am #28 Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:35:23 pm by acey33
Really...Why can't we as adults just discuss what these 2 (Our Coaches) did for our state and the area of need instead of bringing some other names into the discussion? Please show some Class like these Coaches did...Thank you

Break & Run

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 07, 2014, 07:21:44 pm
Did I hear right that there were more people in attendance at the game than there is actual population of the two towns? 

Either way, what an amazing thing for the entire State that people would show up and support these towns and the kids playing ball.  I'm sure it was an emotional night for everyone there.

There was 8,500 announced at the game.

Vilonia's population is around 4,200 and Mayflower population is around 2,500.

So yes, that is correct.
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Break & Run on May 08, 2014, 08:24:50 am
There was 8,500 announced at the game.

Vilonia's population is around 4,200 and Mayflower population is around 2,500.

So yes, that is correct.

That is just amazing.  So proud of our state for responding like that.
Retired Radio Host

Tequilin' Time

Well done by all involved in putting this together. 

So proud of my home state!!!!!

Never Yield

Break & Run

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 08, 2014, 08:32:04 am
That is just amazing.  So proud of our state for responding like that.

Not gonna lie.  I was there and it brought a large sense of pride knowing that fellow Arkansans respond like they do when their neighbors are in a crisis situation.  The fire truck with the American flag was a nice touch too.

Birminghog

Quote from: Hoggin in NYC on May 08, 2014, 08:38:04 am

So proud of my home state!!!!!

Bofus, Hoggin'. And proud of Wilson for his vigilance. You go, homeboys!

Rocket23

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Oklahawg

Great moment. Glad to call UA my alma mater. Again and again.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra