Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which team had a better shot at a national championship game: 2006 or 2011?

Started by Ben, May 06, 2014, 06:29:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 07, 2014, 08:20:03 am
2006 lost to USC by 36
2010 lost to #1 Bama by 4 and NC Auburn by 22

We all know what happened in that Auburn game.

bosshog84

That Auburn running back fumbled the ball before he crossed the plane dammit!!

hogsanity

2006 team, had they finished 12-1 would have been 3rd, behind Ohio St and Mich.  Ark would not have jumped Mich, because we played a pretty weak sched outside of USC, FLA and LSU.

2010 and 2011 both had better chances, based on the schedule they played, had they won the games.  2010 though they would have almost certainly had to have been 13-0, maybe 12-1 as long as they beaten Auburn might have done it.  2011, well ranked #3, playing #1 the last weekend of the season, win that and then wait and see what the polls end up like, as it was they got an early 14-0 lead, then proceeded to get run out of the stadium so we will never know. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

tampahog

I say 2010.  Even with the loss to Bama (though we had them on the ropes), had we beaten auburn, we would have been in the NC game because we would have owned the tie breaker with AU (Bama lost 3 SEC games that year and us and AU would have both finished 11-1).   Assuming we hold on and beat Auburn (we were leading early in the 4th quarter), we would have met USC in the SECCG (we had already owned USC earlier in the year on their homefield) and thus would have had an easier path to the NC Game.  In 2011, we were clearly only the third best team in our division and I think we were slightly overrated as a top 5 team entering the LSU game.  In 2010, I do think we were truly a top 2-3 team who could play with anybody.   

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: jabohog on May 06, 2014, 08:42:56 pm
The 2011 team beat two teams with winning records, unless you count 6-6 as a winning record. That was a good year and season for us, but the conference was weak.

Precisely.  That year was smoke, mirrors and extreme good fortune against inferior competition.

2006 was legit and we could actually stop someone on defense. It was a better team and closer to playing for all the marbles.

Bryan (CHF)

2010 was probably the better team overall. 2006 was close though. 2011 was a good team but they were behind both 2010 and 2006 and pretty far behind the two teams that played for the National Title that year.

Lots of what ifs though when you look at 2010 and 2006. Both of those teams were talented and led by Arkansas kids who stayed home (or came home in Mallett's case) to play for the Hogs. Both years had deficiencies on defense and part of the offense (running game in 2010 and passing game in 2006) that prevented them from playing for it all.

While we're on what ifs though, I would have loved to see what 2008 would have looked like if McFadden and Jones would have played their senior year for Petrino. We still have Casey Dick at QB but we have all of the freshman WRs, DJ at TE and that backfield. We definitely win more than 5 games that year with that team. Ah what if.....
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

moses_007

Petrino's last team was one win from playing for the national championship.  Arkansas was ranked #3 going into the LSU finale, and a win would have sealed an Arkansas-Alabama rematch for the national title.  We were THAT close.  No other team has been that close since 1964.

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: moses_007 on May 08, 2014, 02:07:03 am
Petrino's last team was one win from playing for the national championship.  Arkansas was ranked #3 going into the LSU finale, and a win would have sealed an Arkansas-Alabama rematch for the national title.  We were THAT close.  No other team has been that close since 1964.

But we were so very, very far from that win.

Cumulative?  2006 had a better shot.

GuvHog

Quote from: ReddieHawg on May 06, 2014, 07:10:44 pm
2006. They dropped their season opener to USC but near the end of the season it didn't matter. They were #5 going into the LSU game and lost by 5 points. They were still #8 going into the SECCG and lost by ten. Had they beaten LSU and Florida, which they almost did, they would have punched their ticket to the NCG. The only other team that wouldn't have finished with two losses were Ohio State and Boise State.

In 2011, they finished with a better record, but they got absolutely thunderpunched by Alabama and LSU.

Basically, each team was two games away from getting to the NCG. Well actually, the 2011 team was one game away. But the 2006 team lost their two games by a combined 15 points while the 2011 team lost to Alabama and LSU by a combined 48 points. The 2006 team was closer.

I must disagree here. McFadden, Hillis, and Jones carried that 2006 team on their backs while Michael Grant led the defense. They were seriously questionable at QB, had 1 standout receiver and 1 good one. By the time they took the field for the LSU game, Grant was gone with a season ending injury, 1 of the 2 main receivers was injured, while McFadden & Company were so badly beaten up, they could barely run.

That 2010 team on the other hand, was just a picked up blocked punt for a TD away from finishing in the top 5 the way they did in 2011. Yeah, that 2010 team was the best I've seen at Arkansas in many years. If BP had fired Willy in December of 2009 rather than in December of 2011 who knows just how good those 2 teams of 2010 and 2011 really could have been. IMHO the 2010 team was much closer.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

MikePiazza

People forget about the 2007 team in all this.

They had 4Q leads against Alabama, UK and Auburn. Lost all three games by a combined 18 points. The defense just went to sleep on the final drives against both Bama & Auburn, and that UK game was just weird.

If they win those three games, there's a chance they would've finished 11-1 assuming they still beat LSU in the season finale.

They got thumped at Tennessee but would've gotten a rematch in Atlanta and had they won that, might've been playing Ohio State in the Superdome three years earlier than they ended up doing.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Pigasaurus

Ranked 3rd.  Up 14-0 and reality hit a little it seemed.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: pigasaurus on May 14, 2014, 04:53:19 pm

It was a truly epic leadership choke from the sideline and behind center.

Nationally embarrassing and sucked from the stands.

Großer Kriegschwein

Those guys were emotionally drained from the events of the previous week. I shouldn't have to tell you what it was.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

It would be close, but Nutt is the reason why 2006 loses this game unless this is the game he somehow saves his job with again.

Close but 2010

thirrdegreetusker

Neither really.

Both got beaten soundly in games they HAD to have to BEGIN to get in the NC conversation.

Big Papa Satan

Petrino's last team was one win from playing for the national championship.  Arkansas was ranked #3 going into the LSU finale, and a win would have sealed an Arkansas-Alabama rematch for the national title.

Unless Arkansas would have blown out LSU, they were going to be left out in the BCS title game.  Still would've been Bama-LSU.

hawgsalot

2006 you don't get to the natty without winning your division unless you have number 1 &2 in your division, which we didn't.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hawgsalot on May 15, 2014, 02:04:22 pm
2006 you don't get to the natty without winning your division unless you have number 1 &2 in your division, which we didn't.

i just personally think that if certain things didnt happen the week before the game, that we would have probably kept rolling at the end of the first half against LSU. Cant blame them. Long emotional week.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: GuvHog on May 08, 2014, 10:26:39 am
I must disagree here. McFadden, Hillis, and Jones carried that 2006 team on their backs while Michael Grant led the defense. They were seriously questionable at QB, had 1 standout receiver and 1 good one. By the time they took the field for the LSU game, Grant was gone with a season ending injury, 1 of the 2 main receivers was injured, while McFadden & Company were so badly beaten up, they could barely run.

That 2010 team on the other hand, was just a picked up blocked punt for a TD away from finishing in the top 5 the way they did in 2011. Yeah, that 2010 team was the best I've seen at Arkansas in many years. If BP had fired Willy in December of 2009 rather than in December of 2011 who knows just how good those 2 teams of 2010 and 2011 really could have been. IMHO the 2010 team was much closer.
I disagree that Michael Grant "carried the defense" in 2006. That defense had a lot of good players including Jamaal Anderson (8th overall NFL draft pick, 1st team All-SEC), Chris Houston (2nd round draft pick, 2nd team All-SEC) Marcus Harrison (3rd round draft pick, 2nd-team All-SEC) Keith Jackson (2X first team All-SEC) and Sam Olajubutu (First team All-SEC).

The question isn't which team was better or would have ended up with a better rankings. The question is which team had a better shot at the NCG and 2010 wasn't an option. The 2010 team would have had to beat Auburn (whom they gave up 65 points to) to get to the SECCG and then beat South Carolina again to get to the NCG and even then they might not have got to the NCG because they would have had to jump Wisconsin and TCU in the BCS rankings and there was no guarantee of that happening.

Honestly, both teams had about the same shot but the bottom line is that the 2006 team was in the SECCG and the 2010 team was not. And to get to the NCG, you have to be in the SECCG. Unless you're the 2011 Alabama team.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Bryan (CHF) on May 07, 2014, 09:55:47 am

While we're on what ifs though, I would have loved to see what 2008 would have looked like if McFadden and Jones would have played their senior year for Petrino. We still have Casey Dick at QB but we have all of the freshman WRs, DJ at TE and that backfield. We definitely win more than 5 games that year with that team. Ah what if.....

agree

If Dmac or Felix or Peyton stay one more year, we go bowling in 08. No question.

cardinalfan123

Petrino's teams here at Louisville had a knack of kidding away close games when a lot was on the line.

In 2004 (his second year) we were up against #3 Miami on the road by 17 at halftime only to lose by a field goal after giving up 34 points in the second half (damn you to hell, Devon Hester!!!!!!).  That was our only loss that season.

In 2005 we were up 17 IN THE FOURTH QUARTER against WVU only to get screwed by the refs after an onside kick and lose in 4 OT.  WVU went on to beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl while we coughed up another fourth quarter lead to VPI in the Gator Bowl.

Lastly (and this one still hurts to this day) Michael Bush (our starting RB) breaks his leg against the bluenecks in the first game of the season.  We  play Rutgers on a Thursday night in Piscataway and went up 25-7 late in the second quarter only to lay a goose egg the rest of the way and lose 28-25 on a last second field goal which cost us a spot in the national championship.  Sure we wound up winning the Orange Bowl that year but it was against Wake Forest.  Had we played O$U in the title game we'd have stomped them like Florida did.

MikePiazza

Quote from: cardinalfan123 on May 15, 2014, 04:12:02 pm
Petrino's teams here at Louisville had a knack of kidding away close games when a lot was on the line.

In 2004 (his second year) we were up against #3 Miami on the road by 17 at halftime only to lose by a field goal after giving up 34 points in the second half (damn you to hell, Devon Hester!!!!!!).  That was our only loss that season.

In 2005 we were up 17 IN THE FOURTH QUARTER against WVU only to get screwed by the refs after an onside kick and lose in 4 OT.  WVU went on to beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl while we coughed up another fourth quarter lead to VPI in the Gator Bowl.

Lastly (and this one still hurts to this day) Michael Bush (our starting RB) breaks his leg against the bluenecks in the first game of the season.  We  play Rutgers on a Thursday night in Piscataway and went up 25-7 late in the second quarter only to lay a goose egg the rest of the way and lose 28-25 on a last second field goal which cost us a spot in the national championship.  Sure we wound up winning the Orange Bowl that year but it was against Wake Forest.  Had we played O$U in the title game we'd have stomped them like Florida did.

And also the only ranked team you played that season before the bowl game, which you barely won over Boise.

Maybe. But doubtful. You might have won but it would've been close.

EastexHawg

It was a 24-17 game entering the 4th quarter.  We turned the ball over twice and the game got away from us.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on May 15, 2014, 01:50:40 pm
Unless Arkansas would have blown out LSU, they were going to be left out in the BCS title game.  Still would've been Bama-LSU.

No, it wouldn't have been.  If we had beaten LSU we would both have been 11-1.  LSU wasn't going to go to the NCG ahead of us when we had identical records and had just beaten them on their home field the Friday before the matchups were announced.

MikePiazza

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 16, 2014, 09:47:20 am
It was a 24-17 game entering the 4th quarter.  We turned the ball over twice and the game got away from us.

I think the game was lost on the Honey Badger punt return, just like the game five years before in WMS when Holliday beat us with the kick return after DMAC went 80.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

bruisemeister

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 16, 2014, 09:51:30 am
No, it wouldn't have been.  If we had beaten LSU we would both have been 11-1.  LSU wasn't going to go to the NCG ahead of us when we had identical records and had just beaten them on their home field the Friday before the matchups were announced.
Nope. LSU would have still been ahead of us. Their schedule was brutal. They beat #4 Oregon, #1 Alabama and Big East champ, West Virginia. A loss to Ark would have dropped them to #2.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: bruisemeister on May 16, 2014, 03:37:07 pm
Nope. LSU would have still been ahead of us. Their schedule was brutal. They beat #4 Oregon, #1 Alabama and Big East champ, West Virginia. A loss to Ark would have dropped them to #2.

Lol. You really hate BP don't you?  If that was the case I believe we would have gone to the SEC championship game had we won against LSU. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Peter Porker

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 16, 2014, 09:47:20 am

41 to 3 run. You make it like it was back and forth through 3 quarters.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 17, 2014, 12:14:08 am
41 to 3 run. You make it like it was back and forth through 3 quarters.

And you pretend we were never in the game.  Only game we were never in was against Alabama that year. 

You are probably one of those people that say we almost beat auburn last year too. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 06, 2014, 06:50:02 pm
Arkansas technically had a chance to back itself into the 2011 Championship game (unless I am mixing up the 2010 and 2011 seasons). The 2006 team wasn't going to play for it. In the talk, yes, but not in serious contention. You don't give up 11,000 yards of offense in your very first game of the season and play for a natty.

Reggie Bush went on to say that that game was like playing football on Xbox. It was both fun and easy. Pete Carroll said that after you have seen two series of downs that Arkansas plays, you have seen every play they will run the entire game. In short, Arkansas was playing Bush League ball.

What did we expect from Hootie "Lamar Porter" Nutt?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Peter Porker

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 17, 2014, 08:12:27 am
And you pretend we were never in the game.  Only game we were never in was against Alabama that year. 

You are probably one of those people that say we almost beat auburn last year too.

We were. Until the Tyler Wilson took that sack on 2nd down. He then hit Joe Adams but it was short of the 1st down. We punt, TM returns it for a TD and everyone knew it was over then.

It didn't help that Booby's offense failed to show up again in a big game. 1 TD on 11 drives. Pathetic for what many consider a "Top 5 coach" and "an offensive genius".

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 17, 2014, 08:12:27 am
And you pretend we were never in the game.

I don't recall the need for pretense.

We were "in the game" the way a sleepwalker would be in a marathon out of the gate.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 17, 2014, 08:30:09 am
We were. Until the Tyler Wilson took that sack on 2nd down. He then hit Joe Adams but it was short of the 1st down. We punt, TM returns it for a TD and everyone knew it was over then.

It didn't help that Booby's offense failed to show up again in a big game. 1 TD on 11 drives. Pathetic for what many consider a "Top 5 coach" and "an offensive genius".

You're forgetting that that LSU defense had given up 10 points per game all year and held opponents to single digits six times. They were No. 1 in the country. I agree that Petrino probably could have called a better game but that LSU team was a juggernaut until the BCSNG.

EastexHawg

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 19, 2014, 02:17:01 pm
You're forgetting that that LSU defense had given up 10 points per game all year and held opponents to single digits six times. They were No. 1 in the country. I agree that Petrino probably could have called a better game but that LSU team was a juggernaut until the BCSNG.

They held Alabama to two field goals...in overtime...in Tuscaloosa...three weeks before they played us.  But let's not let that get in the way of another excellent opportunity to talk about how overrated and undeserving one of our past teams was. 

For some reason it POs a portion of our fans to point out the FACT that the score of that game was 24-17 entering the 4th quarter.  "How dare you point out that LSU didn't stomp our arses from opening kickoff to the final gun?!  YOU just have an agenda!"

Peter Porker

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 19, 2014, 02:17:01 pm

I'm not forgetting.  I'm assuming that a "Top 5 Coach" and "offensive genius" could muster more than 10 points in a game.

EastexHawg

Quote from: bruisemeister on May 16, 2014, 03:37:07 pm

Can you cite a single instance in the history of college football in which the #3 team has beaten the #1 team on its home field and failed to move up even one spot in the poll released a few days later?  Given, of course, that the formerly #3 team's win gives them a record the same as or better than the former #1...

I'll hang up and listen.

By the way, with a win over LSU we would have beaten the #14, #15, #9, and #1 teams.

LZH

Has anyone else stopped and thought about what would happen if, for just one freekin year, we could have a great offense and a really good defense in the same season?

Hogville would have exploded in 2010 & 2011 if BP's teams could have fielded a defense comparable to some of those from the 1980's.....or hell, I'd take the 2006 defense if push came to shove.

Arkansas Razorback football  -  Oh what if.

Peter Porker

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 19, 2014, 02:51:01 pm
They held Alabama to two field goals...in overtime...in Tuscaloosa...three weeks before they played us.  But let's not let that get in the way of another excellent opportunity to talk about how overrated and undeserving one of our past teams was. 

For some reason it POs a portion of our fans to point out the FACT that the score of that game was 24-17 entering the 4th quarter.  "How dare you point out that LSU didn't stomp our arses from opening kickoff to the final gun?!  YOU just have an agenda!"

You like to say it was 24-17 going into the 4th quarter. That is true. You try to act like we were still in the game at that point. We weren't.

By the time the 4th quarter started we punted 4 times, fumbled once, and ended a drive at halftime. We had drives of 3 plays, 6 plays, 11 plays,  3 plays, 4 plays, 4 plays, 9 plays, 3 plays going into the 4th quarter. We had gone 35:24 without an offensive TD.

root_hawg

Made my largest bet ever on that USC Ark game when McF was hurt.  Ark started as a 6 point favor; was in Vegas for a meeting.  One of the few times in my life that I have ever bet against the hogs but I knew there was no way to win that game.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 19, 2014, 05:19:09 pm
You like to say it was 24-17 going into the 4th quarter. That is true. You try to act like we were still in the game at that point. We weren't.

Do you ever stop to listen to yourself?  Do you realize how ridiculous it sounds to say that a team that is trailing 24-17 after 45 minutes is not in the game?  Ever heard of an 80 yard pass play,  maybe to Cobi Hamilton?  A punt return TD?  A pick six?

How long did Alabama go without an offensive TD against LSU's defense in early November of that year?

Peter Porker

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 19, 2014, 10:21:59 pm
Do you ever stop to listen to yourself?  Do you realize how ridiculous it sounds to say that a team that is trailing 24-17 after 45 minutes is not in the game?  Ever heard of an 80 yard pass play,  maybe to Cobi Hamilton?  A punt return TD?  A pick six?

How long did Alabama go without an offensive TD against LSU's defense in early November of that year?

At that point LSU was on a 24-3 run and had the ball on our side of the field to start the quarter.   The offense was terrible and unable to move the ball. The defense was wearing down. The game was all LSU at that point. They had the momentum and was dominating Booby's baby.

Ray Piggers

2010 was our best team.

We led at the eventual NC winner in the 4th with our BACKUP
Had Bama (ranked no. 1 during the season) on the ropes at home (I saw fear on Nick's face at a certain point in the 3rd quarter)
Ohio State.. Also ranked no. 1 earlier in the year.. Scoop and score away from a win.

So three losses.. All to teams ranked no. 1 at some point in the year.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

EastexHawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 19, 2014, 11:36:57 pm
At that point LSU was on a 24-3 run and had the ball on our side of the field to start the quarter.   The offense was terrible and unable to move the ball. The defense was wearing down. The game was all LSU at that point. They had the momentum and was dominating Booby's baby.

1965...Hogs jump up on #1 Texas 20-0 early on a fumbled punt recovered in the end zone by Martine Bercher, a fumble returned 77 yards for a TD by Tommy Trantham, and a TD pass from Brittenum to Bobby Crockett.

After building that early advantage, they watch Texas score 24 straight points to take a 24-20 lead.  The Hogs had only scored one offensive TD, and that one was put on the board four minutes into the second quarter.

So...when they took possession with 4:06 remaining, having given up a 24-0 run to the Steers and not scoring an offensive TD in 37 minutes...in fact, having only gained 102 yards of total offense in the entire game as opposed to over 400 for Texas...I'm not sure why they didn't just take a knee and run out the clock.  After all, according to you a team that has done that is NOT IN THE GAME and has no chance.

Why even bother?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yww6xHWTM8&feature=player_embedded

Have you ever actually watched football?   

PonderinHog

^^^^ Jones to Birmingham!  Miracle on Markham I  :razorback:

EastexHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 20, 2014, 08:35:03 am
^^^^ Jones to Birmingham!  Miracle on Markham I  :razorback:

Yeah, that too.  LOL.

When you've thrown for 50 yards the entire game there is absolutely zero chance of going 80 for a TD and the win.  Might as well load up on the bus and head out of town...

Momentum never shifts...unexpected twists, turns, and plays never take place...and teams that are down seven in the 4th quarter never pull out wins.

Frank Reich told me so.

Peter Porker

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 20, 2014, 08:25:26 am
1965...Hogs jump up on #1 Texas 20-0 early on a fumbled punt recovered in the end zone by Martine Bercher, a fumble returned 77 yards for a TD by Tommy Trantham, and a TD pass from Brittenum to Bobby Crockett.

After building that early advantage, they watch Texas score 24 straight points to take a 24-20 lead.  The Hogs had only scored one offensive TD, and that one was put on the board four minutes into the second quarter.

So...when they took possession with 4:06 remaining, having given up a 24-0 run to the Steers and not scoring an offensive TD in 37 minutes...in fact, having only gained 102 yards of total offense in the entire game as opposed to over 400 for Texas...I'm not sure why they didn't just take a knee and run out the clock.  After all, according to you a team that has done that is NOT IN THE GAME and has no chance.

Why even bother?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yww6xHWTM8&feature=player_embedded

Have you ever actually watched football?

Yes, I've watched football. I've watched Booby fail time and again in big games. 2011 vs Alabama. His offense wasn't going to score enough. LSU 2011 got that same feeling going into the 4th qtr after going 35 minutes without an offensive TD.

Besides, the game you cite isn't like the 2011 LSU game. We led the turnover battle 4-0. That wasn't the case vs LSU.

The_Iceman

While we may have been 3rd going into the LSU game, we were also so very far away from the title game. LSU and Bama were both so much better than us.