Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which team had a better shot at a national championship game: 2006 or 2011?

Started by Ben, May 06, 2014, 06:29:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wildhogman

Quote from: Sweet Feet on November 05, 2014, 07:34:31 pm

You say you want to watch Arkansas win but yet wasn petrino 21-5 in his last 2 seasons and had arkansas finish as high as 5? Thats hypocritical lol. Your entertainment should be Arkansas winning many games instead of being mediocre or below on a consistent basis. No matter how they do it. Gus is as entertaining as anyone and you see the success hes had. When was the last time they finished that high again? And how many coaches in Arkansas history has "gotten over the hump", and how many times?
No, what I am saying is I don't care how they win. Passing or running 3 yards in a cloud of dust. Winning is entertaining enough for me. I don't think you need spread offenses, or multi threat QB's, or high powered passing attacks. I think you need a complete team. Defense's that can get a stop. Offenses that score TD's. Special teams that are good enough to not get you beat(which I am not so sure we have this year unfortunately).  Nutt has some pretty good kickers in his time, CBP had Hocker. we'll see what CBB comes out with next year with this redshirt kid.(hopefully he is Hocker 2.0). I feel like the defense will improve even more with the additions of some more young talent though they will make mistakes(youth usually does at some point). If the O-line can improve and our RB's are the studs we all think they are, then the passing we run now should improve. We should start to turn that proverbial corner. If not, then the darkside will get CBB which is fine by me. But "IF" that happens, I absolutely do NOT want CBP back. He had his chance, 0-4 Bama. Big game 2.0,, don't go back. just say Next and bring on the next coach.

Ben

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 05, 2014, 10:08:27 pm
Who disputed the length of the game or the final score?  I merely stated a fact about the score going into the 4th quarter.  No one has been able to dispute that because it is indisputable, but apparently it enrages a lot of our fan base.  How dare any Hog fan not belittle the 2011 team and rave about how dominant LSU was?
but how neccessary was it to point that out?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

jwreynolds01

Pretty sure that the best chance for a NC was 2007.  The losses to Alabama, Auburn, and Kentucky all happened in heartbreaking fashion, and we beat the eventual national champion.  We Nutted all over ourselves that season. :puke:

Ben

Quote from: LZH on November 06, 2014, 09:49:18 am
Don't ya just love it when you can match up the "Bobby wasn't that good after all" crowd with the "BB is the greatest, just give him five years" crowd, almost right down to the man.  BP won big games.  If someone wants to knock him for his defenses, I beat you to it years ago....because that's what got us beat 90% of the time on his watch, not his preparation or his playcalling or his game management.

When BB leaves one day (either on his own or gets rolled), these same folks will be saying the same thing about him - "he was overrated the whole time - I knew it all along".
i hate to say this about our fanbase, but a good amount have a bad case of "Ex-girlfriend Syndrome" when it comes to Petrino and Malzahn.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

LZH

Quote from: Ben on November 06, 2014, 10:21:49 am
i hate to say this about our fanbase, but a good amount have a bad case of "Ex-girlfriend Syndrome" when it comes to Petrino and Malzahn.

Very true.  With Petrino, after what he pulled I can understand it to a point.  But he is a sharp cat and while he was here most of us were convinced he was one of the top five coaches in the country - certainly X's and O's.  However, that part of it has seemed to slip into the mist since then.  People have forgotten that he had us on the brink of something we haven't seen in most of our lifetimes.  Hate him for what he did to us, I'm all for that.  But to act like 'he wasn't that big of a deal' sure isn't what everyone was saying a few years ago.

As for Gus, we had our shot at him and blew it (or someone in the billionaire boys club blew it for us).

Sweet Feet

Quote from: wildhogman on November 06, 2014, 10:07:16 am
No, what I am saying is I don't care how they win. Passing or running 3 yards in a cloud of dust. Winning is entertaining enough for me. I don't think you need spread offenses, or multi threat QB's, or high powered passing attacks. I think you need a complete team. Defense's that can get a stop. Offenses that score TD's. Special teams that are good enough to not get you beat(which I am not so sure we have this year unfortunately).  Nutt has some pretty good kickers in his time, CBP had Hocker. we'll see what CBB comes out with next year with this redshirt kid.(hopefully he is Hocker 2.0). I feel like the defense will improve even more with the additions of some more young talent though they will make mistakes(youth usually does at some point). If the O-line can improve and our RB's are the studs we all think they are, then the passing we run now should improve. We should start to turn that proverbial corner. If not, then the darkside will get CBB which is fine by me. But "IF" that happens, I absolutely do NOT want CBP back. He had his chance, 0-4 Bama. Big game 2.0,, don't go back. just say Next and bring on the next coach.
Arkansas will improve. They have no choice. Esp with the mississippi schools getting extremely better. I agree you need a complete team to win. If bielema can get a passing offense/defense who knows?

0-4 vs a bama team that was 48-6 over that span with 2 national titles.
Who was the last arkansas coach to have the success bobby did? U cant deny bp never really disappointed like nutt because he never lost games he had no business losing, except ohio state.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: LZH on November 06, 2014, 10:43:52 am
Very true.  With Petrino, after what he pulled I can understand it to a point.  But he is a sharp cat and while he was here most of us were convinced he was one of the top five coaches in the country - certainly X's and O's.  However, that part of it has seemed to slip into the mist since then.  People have forgotten that he had us on the brink of something we haven't seen in most of our lifetimes.  Hate him for what he did to us, I'm all for that.  But to act like 'he wasn't that big of a deal' sure isn't what everyone was saying a few years ago.

As for Gus, we had our shot at him and blew it (or someone in the billionaire boys club blew it for us).

Right on
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07