Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Collins and Williams on Heisman Watchlist

Started by bennyl08, May 06, 2014, 01:55:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/post-spring-heisman-watch-list-2014/

From the Heisman Pundit's annual post-spring watch list, Collins and Williams were 2 of 7 SEC players on the list. The others include Mike Davis, Todd Gurley, Derrick Henry, Nick Marshall, and TJ Yeldon. A bit surprised Prescott isn't on the list, but 6 of the 7 are RB's.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogFanatic

Congratulations are in order.
:razorback:

OptimusHog

Unfortunately, Heisman winners need to be on teams that win 9-10+ games a year. Hopefully they will both have their chance at it, but I doubt it will be this season. Hope I'm wrong though  :razorback:

Razorhawg09

Our 3rd team back is on the Heisman watch list.

popcornhog

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on May 06, 2014, 04:23:53 pm

I doubt Korliss is on the watch list based on just the Spring game and a great off season.

He's gonna be a good one though. Three incredibly good 1st team quality running backs, no doubt.
WPS

PorkRinds

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on May 06, 2014, 04:23:53 pm

I mean, he is the best player on the team after all.

HogFanatic

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 06, 2014, 04:38:59 pm
I mean, he is the best player on the team after all.

Best ever. Any team, any position.
He will win at least two heismans before he leaves here.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 06, 2014, 05:00:29 pm

Yep. Dmac will be referred to as Korliss 1.0 after his time on the hill.

HogFanatic

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 06, 2014, 05:02:18 pm

And Manziel will be henceforth known as Korliss Prototype instead of Johnny Football.

Pork Twain

Likely in the same year
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Jek Tono Porkins

I don't think a running back will win the Heisman ever again. With the emergence of the freak show QB's such as Cam Newton, RG3, the Money Badger, and Jameis Winston, a running back is going to have to pretty much be a Barry Sanders to win the Heisman. If Montee Ball couldn't do it with 1,923 yards and 33 rushing TD's in 2011 then it pretty much can't be done. The whole thing is a joke anyway.

I do think that one of our running backs will end up winning the Doak Walker Award sometime in the near future.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

redswarmrising

the heisman will be renamed The Marshall Trophy before the start of next season

Pork Twain

Likely to allow him to go into the NFL halfway through the season.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

SamBuckhart

I like them both but Collins the more likely. IMO.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Razorhawg09

Quote from: SamBuckheart on May 06, 2014, 06:56:00 pm
I like them both but Collins the more likely. IMO.
Williams is the best player on the team. Collins will never win a Heisman because he's incapable of breaking a big play. No home run ability.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on May 06, 2014, 07:01:15 pm
Williams is the best player on the team. Collins will never win a Heisman because he's incapable of breaking a big play. No home run ability.
Ummm, second best playa

bennyl08

Didn't stop Ingram from winning it. Admittedly, the year he won, nobody out there deserved a heisman. Then the next season, several truly deserved it.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Razorhawg09

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 06, 2014, 07:35:00 pm
Didn't stop Ingram from winning it. Admittedly, the year he won, nobody out there deserved a heisman. Then the next season, several truly deserved it.
Ingram could break the big play.

lahawg1

Way too early to be talking Heisman but congrats are in order for making that list.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

GlassofSwine

I think Collins has plenty of home run ability, we can't forget he was a true freshmen with a mediocre at best a passing game to aid him. He might not have the top end speed of Marshall and he is less likely to go 80 yards up the middle but before all is said and done I expect you will get quite a few big runs out of him.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: poloprince on May 06, 2014, 07:49:52 pm
Neither is better than Dmac
DMac isn't here. 

And we will see, after they finish their careers at Arkansas.
All Gas, No Brakes!

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HogFanatic

Quote from: twistitup on May 06, 2014, 08:14:15 pm
Derby got left off the list? How?

Good point.
I hear Derby is a world beater at the tight end position.

SPAL

All kidding aside, if Kane Whitehurt doesn't win it then the thing is rigged.

rzrbackramsfan

Korliss is gonna lead the team in rushing yards IMO.

bennyl08

Quote from: Razorhawg09 on May 06, 2014, 07:36:22 pm
Ingram could break the big play.

Ingram ran a 4.6 forty. I mean, I guess technically Broderick Green could break the big play too considering his record can never be beaten, only tied, but Ingram's longest run his heisman year was for 54 vs us, that included several broken tackles and such downfield. Second longest run was for 50 vs Duke. He did manage a 70 yarder vs MSU in 2009, but again, throughout his career, he only had 4 runs over 50.

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Magic_Hogg

Boy I would love to see one of these guys win it.  DMAC should have got it.  Would love to see a Hog win it.

As an aside, I don't see why they don't have 2 Heismann's.  One for O and one for D.  D players are virtually frozen out of Heismann contention in tabor of QB's, RB's and Receivers - the excitement positions I suppose.

zane

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 06, 2014, 05:02:18 pm

Winner!
RIP LSUfan

redeye

I'm actually surprised by this.  I can sorta see Collins, because he's received so much hype, but I certainly didn't expect to see Williams.  Not saying he isn't deserving, but just didn't expect to see him.

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

LSUFan

Quote from: OptimusHog on May 06, 2014, 04:15:20 pm
Unfortunately, Heisman winners need to be on teams that win 9-10+ games a year. Hopefully they will both have their chance at it, but I doubt it will be this season. Hope I'm wrong though  :razorback:
Paul Hornung...Notre Dame, 1956...total bs. N.D. won 2 lost 8.  Did I ever mention I HATE that school?
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

If DMac couldn't win it, I just don't see either of these guys winning it.  Although Collins I believe is a special player, Dmac was a once in a lifetime collegiate athlete.  Although I hope I'm wrong.

rusvegashog

I really am pulling for Williams to do good things. He came to Arkansas w such a positive energy, he seemed genuinely appreciative at the opportunity to be a Razorback. I pull for all the backs equally, but I appreciated that about Williams and thus I root for the young cat. I hope they're all successful.

rusvegashog

I also feel that comparisons in the three to each other or to DMAC or whoever else are counterproductive, uncomfortable and unfair. Times the only thing that will tell anything, and these three backs have the ability and opportunity to change the course of this program. You may laugh at the reference to Coach Pelphrey, but there is a reason he is so beloved in Kentucky. He was apart of helping to turn around a proud program as a player and these 3 backs have that same sort of opportunity as I see it here w this proud program. Wish them all nothing but the best.

Hawgzinbowlz

Congratulations to Jonathan and Alex.

Having two running backs on the watch list can only help in our future recruiting of RBs.

" GO HOGS "

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bennyl08

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on May 07, 2014, 01:48:32 am
If DMac couldn't win it, I just don't see either of these guys winning it.  Although Collins I believe is a special player, Dmac was a once in a lifetime collegiate athlete.  Although I hope I'm wrong.

How many better players than Ingram has Bama had? Trent and Yeldon are both better backs, and Trent even put up better numbers. It is all about timing. Also, RG3 won it going 9-3, so not exactly in the title hunt. If we could somehow go 8-4 with one of our guys hitting at least 1500 yards, they would have a good shot of at least going to NY. The key would be td's. On average, you should have about 1 td for every 100 yards.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 07, 2014, 08:59:04 am
How many better players than Ingram has Bama had? Trent and Yeldon are both better backs, and Trent even put up better numbers. It is all about timing. Also, RG3 won it going 9-3, so not exactly in the title hunt. If we could somehow go 8-4 with one of our guys hitting at least 1500 yards, they would have a good shot of at least going to NY. The key would be td's. On average, you should have about 1 td for every 100 yards.

Also, to go along with your point about timing...DMac should have won it as a soph, but people didn't vote for him because Soph. just didn't win the Heisman back then.  The next year as a Jr. he should have won it, but the Tebow craze was out of hand.

I do think it will be tough for a RB to win it with QB's playing in a run option spread.  It is all about high light and "Heisman moments" now.  Passing TDs and a QB running around gets more play on Sportscenter than a RB getting a few nice runs.
Retired Radio Host

HogFanatic

Quote from: LSUFan on May 07, 2014, 01:14:43 am
Paul Hornung...Notre Dame, 1956...total bs. N.D. won 2 lost 8.  Did I ever mention I HATE that school?

Man, things are way different in college football nowadays. They are giving the trophies to freakin' freshmen now. Freshmen who go on to have repeat run-ins with the law.

They give the trophy to the best system quarterback nowadays.

razorbackkid

I'd really like to see Brandon Allen on that list.  :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 06, 2014, 07:35:00 pm

Actually the year he won is the one of the few years I thought they got it wrong.  I thought it should have gone to Toby Gearhart.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 07, 2014, 07:30:15 pm
Also, to go along with your point about timing...DMac should have won it as a soph, but people didn't vote for him because Soph. just didn't win the Heisman back then.  The next year as a Jr. he should have won it, but the Tebow craze was out of hand.

I do think it will be tough for a RB to win it with QB's playing in a run option spread.  It is all about high light and "Heisman moments" now.  Passing TDs and a QB running around gets more play on Sportscenter than a RB getting a few nice runs.

Actually I disagree that he should have won over Tebow.  I do agree though that he should have won over Troy Smith.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 07, 2014, 08:13:16 pm
Actually I disagree that he should have won over Tebow.  I do agree though that he should have won over Troy Smith.

You are right, Tebow's numbers were crazy that year.  Just frustrating that they gave it to a Soph when the year before they wouldn't give it to a Soph.
Retired Radio Host

Ethan2010

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 07, 2014, 08:11:24 pm
Actually the year he won is the one of the few years I thought they got it wrong.  I thought it should have gone to Toby Gearhart.
I agree, Toby deserved that award.

bennyl08

I really remember his stats being equally as unimpressive as everyone else that year. Just looked it up, 1800 yards with 27 td's and 5.5 ypc. Another case of memory failing.

Modsquad24

3-9 teams don't have guys win Heisman trophy's kinda moot point, but glad they got brought up any how

popcornhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 07, 2014, 08:59:04 am

McFadden would've won it if we had won more games in 07.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Modsquad24 on May 08, 2014, 07:22:03 am
3-9 teams don't have guys win Heisman trophy's kinda moot point, but glad they got brought up any how

You're predicting 3-9?

I highly doubt we'll win enough games this year to get our guys seriously in the conversation, but I fully expect to be better than 3-9.
WPS