Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not football, but World Champion Bull Rider and former UofA student has died.

Started by brickhousehog, May 06, 2014, 01:35:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brickhousehog

Rob McDonald, former U of A student, 1977 IRA World Champion Bull Rider passed away Saturday of a heart attack, while working horses in McCrory, AR.  I want to let hogville know who he was, because I believe he deserves to be in the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame.  To find out more about the truly great Arkansas cowboy visit this facebook page dedicated to him: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rob-Mcdonald-1977-IPRA-World-Champion-Bull-Rider/188974867893650

[attachment deleted by admin]

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OptimusHog

pigture perfect

There are many ways to die working horses. I don't know for sure, but I assume he was breaking them, and got thrown somehow.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

bulldog04

Inhogswetrust

Very sad. I don't particularly understand why anyone likes rodeos or that culture but anybody willing to get on a bucking bull and try to ride them enough to win a championship is alright in my book. Because of that he deserves to be in the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame. Thoughts and sympathy go out to his family.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Magic_Hogg

Thoughts and prayers to his family.  Sounds like he died doing what he loved. 

brickhousehog

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

1highhog

Very sad, prayers go to his family.  I've been a part of the rodeo circuit in my young life, and still love riding today, nothing like the bond between a man and a good horse.  I hope he gets in the Arkansas HOF, he deserves it.

tophawg19

i tried bull riding a few times . to explain it's 10 to 15 seconds of adrenaline , followed by 8 seconds of hard work and jolts all through your body , followed by 5 to 6 seconds of sheer terror trying to find him and get away. if you want a rush . this will do it but it hurts like he-- when you hit the ground and worse when he hits you. want to improve your 40 times , this will do it
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PorkRinds

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 07, 2014, 12:02:13 pm
i tried bull riding a few times . to explain it's 10 to 15 seconds of adrenaline , followed by 8 seconds of hard work and jolts all through your body , followed by 5 to 6 seconds of sheer terror trying to find him and get away. if you want a rush . this will do it but it hurts like he-- when you hit the ground and worse when he hits you. want to improve your 40 times , this will do it

I've ridden a couple of cows in my day, but they weren't bulls.  And they both worked me over pretty good.

tophawg19

i learned three things . 1 i'm to heavy in my shoulders to be good at it . especially with fast spinners . 2 . Shoulders that dislocate aren't good for bull riding . 3  I don't run near fast enough to want to do that job. one other thing i have great respect for the bull fighters . they take a beating every night , keeping bulls off the rider is a bad job. Just grateful for the ones brave/crazy enough to do it
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 07, 2014, 12:03:34 pm
I've ridden a couple of cows in my day, but they weren't bulls.  And they both worked me over pretty good.

Didn't the cows just stand there?

HogFanatic

Bull riding and surfing are alike in the fact that they are sports that have sprung up evolving from a way of work. Each are crazy as hell and anyone who is capable of "going big" doing either one deserves a tremendous amount of respect.

Thoughts to his family.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

jmb1973

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 07, 2014, 03:03:54 pm
Didn't the cows just stand there?

I believe he was referring to the cows you might find at Electric Cowboy. The ones hanging by the bar with that hungry look in their eyes.

brickhousehog

Rob McDonald, Pontiac Silverdome, 1978

[attachment deleted by admin]

brickhousehog