Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What was the most underrated hog team you have seen in the past?

Started by Sweet Feet, May 06, 2014, 01:20:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

bruisemeister

How far back to you go?  The 1985 team went 10-2. The only losses were by 2 to Texas and 4 to ATM. They won the only bowl for Ken Hatfield beating Sport magazine's preseason #1 team, AZ State in the Holiday Bowl. They had a great offensive line led by Limbo Parks. The running game was by committee with Marshall Foreman, Derrick Thomas, Bobby Joe Edmonds and freshman, James Rouse. James Shibest and Donnie Centers were the receivers with Luther Franklin at tight end. Greg Thomas got most of the snaps at quarterback but Mark Calcagni came in for passing situations. Tony Cherico and Rodney Beacham anchored a small but gritty defensive line. Old David Bazzell led the linebacker corps. They had one of the Hogs better secondaries with Greg Lasker, Kevin Wyatt and Kevin Anderson. Kendall Trainer took over for Greg Horne as placekicker after the Texas game. Horne remained as one of the conferences best punters.

davehog

The 2003 team was the best Razorback team that has taken the field from 1989 to present. There were more NFL draftees on that team than any other team.  Not only was there a high quantity of players they were drafted high, as well.

On the flip side several didn't pan out so well in the NFL.   

I still think HDN coached that team down from a legit national title contender to barely beating Mizzou in the Independence Bowl.

HDN should have been either fired or forced to move on after that season due to the massive underachievement of that season.

EastexHawg

The 1968 team finished 6th in the AP and 9th in the final UPI poll but was probably still underrated.  They went 9-1 in the regular season with the only loss coming at Texas, where the Horns had just embarked on their 30 game win streak.

They followed up the regular season with a two TD win over undefeated SEC champion Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

I think that type of season today would get you a top three finish.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

May 06, 2014, 11:59:52 am #4 Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:43:38 pm by exit followed by a boar
Quote from: Sweet Feet on May 06, 2014, 01:20:14 am
Who would it be

The 1963 team went 5-5. In 1964 it went undefeated, beating Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl and earning a National Championship everyone but Alabama recognizes.

I would guess it was underrated going into the season.

Frank Broyles' last team in 1976 went 5-5-1. Lou Holtz's first team in 1977 went 11-1, losing only to a Texas team with Earl Campbell 13-9, and blitzing OU in the Cotton Bowl, and even winning one version of the National Championship, even if no one remembers that. I'd have to say that team was also underrated going into the season.

No one expected much from Nutt's first team either, but it did lose its last three games.

Update: seems folks are talking about teams underrated after the season.  I'd still go wilth the 1977 team.

The 1985 team lost two games by a total of six points.  Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

The 1988 team lost its last two games.  Should have beaten Miami, except Atwater dropped an interception and therefore enabled a last minute FG.  They were a might deflated after that and got beat by a Troy Aikman-lead UCLA in the Cotton Bowl.  Win that Miami game, and who knows where we'd have ended up.

EFBAB

RAZORBACKER60

The 2006 team was good!  Beat Auburn on the plains 27-7 when they were ranked 3rd in the country. Win the west and should have beaten Florida, thanks Reggie, Lord I was there and watched that punt dropped, one of worst days ever as a razorback.

2003 was good but got drilled by Georgia 30-3 in the SEC championship game was there for that one thank god we partied with some good Georgia fans made the trip at least worth it.

1998 team was WAY underrated. The lose at Tenner was bad which propelled the loss at MSU the next week. That team could have won it all in Houston's first year. May piss some off but Houston was not a bad coach. Went 75-43 at Arkansas, won the west twice and went to eight bowls. Bet CBB will not get close to that, hope I am wrong though.

Anyway Go Hogs!!

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: RAZORBACKER60 on May 06, 2014, 12:18:49 pm
2003 was good but got drilled by Georgia 30-3 in the SEC championship game was there for that one thank god we partied with some good Georgia fans made the trip at least worth it.

That was 2002.  2003 was the year we beat Texas in Austin then had a crazy comeback to beat Alabama in OT, only to have the phantom holding call on George Wilson negate a 80 yard Matt Jones TD run vs Auburn (we lost), another crazy comeback fall short due to Bua's phantom late hit on the Florida QB (we lost), then an obviously injured Matt Jones failed to produce vs. Eli Manning for the infamous O for October.  We also got drilled by LSU at the end of the year, but it should've been a 10 win season at minimum.  So pretty much...

Quote from: davehog on May 06, 2014, 11:02:01 am
HDN should have been either fired or forced to move on after that season due to the massive underachievement of that season.

CDBHawg

2006 team was superb.

If only that year had not been a soap opera.

urkillnmesmalls

The best part of this thread is the completely different viewpoints of what the term "underrated" means in the context of the OP's question.  I'm talking completely across the board from teams that underachieved, to teams predicted not to be great that excelled.   ;D   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

CDBHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 06, 2014, 01:03:43 pm
The best part of this thread is the completely different viewpoints of what the term "underrated" means in the context of the OP's question.  I'm talking completely across the board from teams that underachieved, to teams predicted not to be great that excelled.   ;D   

Look up 2004-2005's record.

2006 was underrated. Went 7-1 in conference. 2 ST's plays away from being in the BCSNG.

HeismanHawg

Agree on 2003 and 2006. However 2006 was still a fun year to watch minus the late post season collapse (The Nutt special) and losing bowl games.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: CDBHawg on May 06, 2014, 02:30:12 pm
Look up 2004-2005's record.

2006 was underrated. Went 7-1 in conference. 2 ST's plays away from being in the BCSNG.

I agree.  They were a great team, but they just didn't have a passing threat to compliment the running game, or I doubt we lose a game other than the early USC debacle. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

daBoar

Would it not be the 1977 football team; they weren't ranked and beat the preseason #1 team?

1highhog

Quote from: RAZORBACKER60 on May 06, 2014, 12:18:49 pm
The 2006 team was good!  Beat Auburn on the plains 27-7 when they were ranked 3rd in the country. Win the west and should have beaten Florida, thanks Reggie, Lord I was there and watched that punt dropped, one of worst days ever as a razorback.

1998 team was WAY underrated. The lose at Tenner was bad which propelled the loss at MSU the next week. That team could have won it all in Houston's first year. May piss some off but Houston was not a bad coach. Went 75-43 at Arkansas, won the west twice and went to eight bowls. Bet CBB will not get close to that, hope I am wrong though.

Anyway Go Hogs!!

He was a piss poor Coach, speaking of course about ole Nutty Buddy.  When he did get talent that was coming to Arkansas regardless, Arkansas born and bred, he pissed it all away.  How do you have DMac, Hillis, and then somehow get Felix and still lose as many games as he did?

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on May 06, 2014, 11:59:52 am
The 1988 team lost its last two games.  Should have beaten Miami, except Atwater dropped an interception and therefore enabled a last minute FG.  They were a might deflated after that and got beat by a Troy Aikman-lead UCLA in the Cotton Bowl.  Win that Miami game, and who knows where we'd have ended up.

Both our losses in '88 came to teams that had been ranked #1 that season.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on May 06, 2014, 12:38:22 pm
That was 2002.  2003 was the year we beat Texas in Austin then had a crazy comeback to beat Alabama in OT, only to have the phantom holding call on George Wilson negate a 80 yard Matt Jones TD run vs Auburn (we lost), another crazy comeback fall short due to Bua's phantom late hit on the Florida QB (we lost), then an obviously injured Matt Jones failed to produce vs. Eli Manning for the infamous O for October.  We also got drilled by LSU at the end of the year, but it should've been a 10 win season at minimum.  So pretty much...

I remember that hit. Hate to disagree, but it was high, late and out-of-bounds. But yes, we should have won that game regardless.
This is my non-signature signature.

redeye

The 2007 team underachieved and was underrated, but still beat the eventual national champion on the road.  Even though HDN was coaching, I was still surprised that no one in the media gave Arkansas a chance to beat #1 LSU, while I expected it.

The 2009 team wasn't great, but it was the best 7-5 team in the nation.  It lost controversial, close games on the road to #1 Florida and #15 LSU.  It beat Auburn by 3 TD's the year before Auburn won it all.

PorkSoda

Quote from: davehog on May 06, 2014, 11:02:01 am
The 2003 team was the best Razorback team that has taken the field from 1989 to present. There were more NFL draftees on that team than any other team.  Not only was there a high quantity of players they were drafted high, as well.

On the flip side several didn't pan out so well in the NFL.   

I still think HDN coached that team down from a legit national title contender to barely beating Mizzou in the Independence Bowl.

I was thinking the same thing.  he went on to miss bowls in 2004 and 2005 after that.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: bruisemeister on May 06, 2014, 02:37:25 am
How far back to you go?  The 1985 team went 10-2. The only losses were by 2 to Texas and 4 to ATM. They won the only bowl for Ken Hatfield beating Sport magazine's preseason #1 team, AZ State in the Holiday Bowl. They had a great offensive line led by Limbo Parks. The running game was by committee with Marshall Foreman, Derrick Thomas, Bobby Joe Edmonds and freshman, James Rouse. James Shibest and Donnie Centers were the receivers with Luther Franklin at tight end. Greg Thomas got most of the snaps at quarterback but Mark Calcagni came in for passing situations. Tony Cherico and Rodney Beacham anchored a small but gritty defensive line. Old David Bazzell led the linebacker corps. They had one of the Hogs better secondaries with Greg Lasker, Kevin Wyatt and Kevin Anderson. Kendall Trainer took over for Greg Horne as placekicker after the Texas game. Horne remained as one of the conferences best punters.

All of Hatfield s teams were pretty under rated  He won a ton of games but when you give an opponent a month to plan for the Flex bone they were able to stop it.  Our Dismal Bowl history is more depressing than our up and down regular season cycles as Wilson posted about.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on May 06, 2014, 12:38:22 pm
another crazy comeback fall short due to Bua's phantom late hit on the Florida QB (we lost),

I was shocked that a veteran player like Bua would do something that dumb. Clearly a personal foul.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: daBoar on May 06, 2014, 06:31:48 pm
Would it not be the 1977 football team; they weren't ranked and beat the preseason #1 team?

That was an awesome year (I was on the hill then).   Well anyway, I'm claiming the NC that year.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on May 06, 2014, 11:59:52 am
The 1963 team went 5-5. In 1964 it went undefeated, beating Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl and earning a National Championship everyone but Alabama recognizes.

I would guess it was underrated going into the season.

Frank Broyles' last team in 1976 went 5-5-1. Lou Holtz's first team in 1977 went 11-1, losing only to a Texas team with Earl Campbell 13-9, and blitzing OU in the Cotton Bowl, and even winning one version of the National Championship, even if no one remembers that. I'd have to say that team was also underrated going into the season.

No one expected much from Nutt's first team either, but it did lose its last three games.

Update: seems folks are talking about teams underrated after the season.  I'd still go wilth the 1977 team.

The 1985 team lost two games by a total of six points.  Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

EFBAB
Personally I think it'd have to be the '64 team. As pointed out, after going only 5-5 the previous and yet beat (at the time) # 1 Texas in Austin AND win the NC (at least in the mind of the voters who award the Hogs the Grantland Rice Trophy). I honestly can't think of as much accomplished by a squad that literally came out of almost no where the previous season. A totally remarkable one year turn around!

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 06, 2014, 11:33:44 am
The 1968 team finished 6th in the AP and 9th in the final UPI poll but was probably still underrated.  They went 9-1 in the regular season with the only loss coming at Texas, where the Horns had just embarked on their 30 game win streak.

They followed up the regular season with a two TD win over undefeated SEC champion Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

I think that type of season today would get you a top three finish.

Too young to have seen it but the 1962 lost to Texas {Austin}and Ole Miss {Sugar Bowl} by four points each time.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 08, 2014, 08:14:40 pm
Personally I think it'd have to be the '64 team. As pointed out, after going only 5-5 the previous and yet beat (at the time) # 1 Texas in Austin AND win the NC (at least in the mind of the voters who award the Hogs the Grantland Rice Trophy). I honestly can't think of as much accomplished by a squad that literally came out of almost no where the previous season. A totally remarkable one year turn around!

Defense.  I'm not sure how many people have every really looked at the results, but over the course of the last 6 ENTIRE GAMES, we gave up 7 POINTS!!  5 shutouts in a row, and then we gave up 7 to Nebraska. 

I think that was 57 pts total on the year total, prior to the bowl game.  We almost gave that up against SC and Bama last season respectively...EACH! 

Again...better defense, and less turnovers, and we might surprise some people by how much we improve.  How much...who knows, but if LSU and MSU were any indication, it's not like we're an ocean away from competing as some are suggesting. 

HornetHog

Quote from: bruisemeister on May 06, 2014, 02:37:25 am

Great group of young men!
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth