Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just a Random Coaching Suggestion From an Armchair Quarterback

Started by HogFanatic, May 05, 2014, 05:18:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanatic

I think coaches would be wise to "suggest" to their players to take a mixed martial arts class. Especially their linemen on both sides of the ball.

fanofthehog

Other than conditioning, what would be the purpose of it?

HogFanatic

Quote from: fanofthehog on May 05, 2014, 05:21:12 pm

I can't think of a better way to teach someone to utilize their body weight as leverage.

HogFanatic

Or maybe not an MMA class so much as a JuJitsu class. I would guarantee that if you, as a coach, had your linemen roll around and grapple a few hours a week they would show improvement on the football field.

fanofthehog

The one drawback they would have to be careful with is weight loss.  I do Jiu-Jitsu myself, the amount of weight you can drop from grappling a few hours a week is unbelievable.  When I was 26, I was 40 lbs overweight.  I started Jiu-Jitsu and I stopped drinking soda.  Today I am 37 and I am 5 lbs under my ideal weight.

tophawg19

Hershel Walker and several other RB'S Credited ballet with helping them in their careers . Whatever works i guess
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

fanofthehog

Also, there is a great risk for injury.  I have had my share, and guys all around me deal with joint issues, knee problems, and neck pain.  I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but there are definitely some things to consider.

HogFanatic

Quote from: fanofthehog on May 05, 2014, 05:48:12 pm
The one drawback they would have to be careful with is weight loss.  I do Jiu-Jitsu myself, the amount of weight you can drop from grappling a few hours a week is unbelievable.  When I was 26, I was 40 lbs overweight.  I started Jiu-Jitsu and I stopped drinking soda.  Today I am 37 and I am 5 lbs under my ideal weight.

This is true. But these guys are under close supervision with a very specific diet that can be adjusted. They are already managed by professionals.

secneahog

Someone advanced in holding the mitts can help someone tremendously with their hand eye coordination. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Laughing Hog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 05, 2014, 05:18:10 pm
I think coaches would be wise to "suggest" to their players to take a mixed martial arts class. Especially their linemen on both sides of the ball.

I'm not sure about how much MMA would help (guess it couldn't hurt - too much), but a good straight up martial art, such as taekwondo or jiujitsu as was mentioned earlier may be better.  Improves flexibility, balance, body control. Also teaches discipline.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

HogFanatic

Quote from: fanofthehog on May 05, 2014, 05:49:52 pm
Also, there is a great risk for injury.  I have had my share, and guys all around me deal with joint issues, knee problems, and neck pain.  I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but there are definitely some things to consider.

Yeah. You would definitely have to watch the knee bars and heel hooks and stuff.

secneahog

Nice to see another jiu jitsu guy. Brown belt under helio Seneca here.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

secneahog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 05, 2014, 05:22:02 pm
I can't think of a better way to teach someone to utilize their body weight as leverage.

Good wrestling is up there also.

HogFanatic

Quote from: secneahog on May 05, 2014, 05:53:47 pm
Good wrestling is up there also.

Absolutely. Judo, Aikido, etc. But with the prevalence of MMA joints springing up everywhere, it is very easy to find a good JJ class. I really do believe that adding something like this to someone's conditioning regimen would pay huge dividends on the football field.

secneahog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 05, 2014, 05:56:16 pm
Absolutely. Judo, Aikido, etc. But with the prevalence of MMA joints springing up everywhere, it is very easy to find a good JJ class. I really do believe that adding something like this to someone's conditioning regimen would pay huge dividends on the football field.

Oh I do also. Just seems like the main problem with college athletes is they don't have enough time in the day.
Pros do.

HogFanatic

Quote from: secneahog on May 05, 2014, 06:02:57 pm
Oh I do also. Just seems like the main problem with college athletes is they don't have enough time in the day.
Pros do.

Perhaps

fanofthehog

Quote from: secneahog on May 05, 2014, 05:52:13 pm
Nice to see another jiu jitsu guy. Brown belt under helio Seneca here.
Brown belt as well - under Roberto Alencar.

MrThunderhog

Maybe we should hire Connie Shockner to come in and give a class on the effective use of brass knuckles and how to give an MP
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

LZH

Am I thinking of somewhere else, or wasn't this tried in Fayetteville before? 

tusksincolorado

Learning "chop blocks"....la Aubie Style!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Judo, Ju-Jitsu, Taekwondo. What are those... 10 or 15 yard penalties ???
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

rusvegashog

Rex Kwon Do is the logical choice. Do you think anyone thinks that Bret is a failure because he goes home to Starla every night? Forget about it.

hvsupastar

I'm going to disagree. Football is about explosive strength,  BJJ seems to be using your strength against yourself
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

bob slydell

Eric Mangini did something similar with the Jets in camp.  He had a boxing coach come in I believe.  Not sure what dividends it reaped though.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

HogFanatic

Quote from: rusvegashog on May 06, 2014, 02:04:45 am
Rex Kwon Do is the logical choice. Do you think anyone thinks that Bret is a failure because he goes home to Starla every night? Forget about it.

Do you think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it.

HogFanatic

Quote from: LZH on May 05, 2014, 10:24:00 pm
Am I thinking of somewhere else, or wasn't this tried in Fayetteville before?

Oh really? Hmm
Seems every time I have a good idea I am a day late and a dollar short.

Story of my life.

urkillnmesmalls

Well...it certainly couldn't have hurt for Todd Day to have taken a boxing lesson or two prior to his attempt to slap Larry Johnson.   ;D
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HogFanatic

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on May 06, 2014, 12:45:58 pm
Well...it certainly couldn't have hurt for Todd Day to have taken a boxing lesson or two prior to his attempt to slap Larry Johnson.   ;D

HAHA!
That was hilarious. I gotta give him props for trying though. I doubt I would have had the balls to do it at all. Larry is a big 'ole boy.

woodrow hog call

Marcus Allen is or was into one of the Karate type training s, black belt I believe.
I think it would be great for the D line, to learn little ways of getting the hands of the O lineman off of them.
    Had a guy teach me a few basic moves, and basically said when someone tried to grab him, he would attack their arm in a way that he would stay free and clear while still going where he wanted to go.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Laughing Hog on May 05, 2014, 05:51:19 pm
I'm not sure about how much MMA would help (guess it couldn't hurt - too much), but a good straight up martial art, such as taekwondo or jiujitsu as was mentioned earlier may be better.  Improves flexibility, balance, body control. Also teaches discipline.
Ahh taekwondo-  the ballet of martial arts.  I think you're missing the OP's point.  Grappling is all about leveraging your and your opponents weight.  It's the chess of MMA, and it teaches you how to effectively move your opponent into a vulnerable spot.  I have thought this same thing for a while, especially for D-linemen who need to either slip by or move big bodies to make plays. 
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

DeltaBoy

This or Ballet cause it improves your footwork.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pillowhog

So your about 150?

pillowhog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 06, 2014, 12:48:38 pm
HAHA!
That was hilarious. I gotta give him props for trying though. I doubt I would have had the balls to do it at all. Larry is a big 'ole boy.
Doesnt take balls in basketball when you know the fight is gonna get broke up immediately.  Hockey is a different story

HogFanatic

Quote from: pillowhog on May 06, 2014, 01:55:00 pm
Doesnt take balls in basketball when you know the fight is gonna get broke up immediately.  Hockey is a different story

I don't think it would take Larry Johnson very long to smash someone's face in if he really wanted to.

pillowhog

Longer than 1 second.  Day swung and ran.  Took no balls.  Looked like a huge puss to me

HogFanatic

Quote from: pillowhog on May 06, 2014, 02:11:44 pm
Longer than 1 second.  Day swung and ran.  Took no balls.  Looked like a huge puss to me

Yeah, you're right. He looked like a weinie, but I still doubt I would have swung on him. I would have posted him up in the game and threw an elbow into his gut. Haha
That way if he retaliates he gets ejected.

pillowhog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 06, 2014, 02:18:52 pm
Yeah, you're right. He looked like a weinie, but I still doubt I would have swung on him. I would have posted him up in the game and threw an elbow into his gut. Haha
That way if he retaliates he gets ejected.
LOL sounds like an old school move you might have tried before

HogFanatic

Quote from: pillowhog on May 06, 2014, 02:31:58 pm
LOL sounds like an old school move you might have tried before

Many times.
My favorite though is to post someone up and turn into them hard with a lowered shoulder while simultaneously stomping on their foot. Haha

pillowhog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 06, 2014, 02:46:32 pm
Many times.
My favorite though is to post someone up and turn into them hard with a lowered shoulder while simultaneously stomping on their foot. Haha
#whiteboysavvy

HogFanatic

We used to play ball with this guy we called "Old School" cuz he was like 50 years old and used every dirty trick in the book. If you tried to post him up he would repeatedly knee you in the thigh or ass. At first it didn't hurt, but eventually, after about 50 knees to the ass it would hurt and you wouldn't post him up anymore. The old school moves work.

fanofthehog

1highhog

When you stopped drinking soda that had more to do with it than anything, plus getting some form of exercise.  I'm 49, gave up drinking sodas and sweet tea about 3 years ago, without doing exercise at first.  I immediately started losing weight and lost 16 pounds, granted, I've never been fat, I'm 6'1", 192 currently, and when I started exercising, only 30 minutes a day, I'm now in better shape than I've ever been in, and all I do is some basic strength training along with isometric exercises.  Isometric exercises are not for everyone, I use them because I have severe arthritis, and my physical therapist had me start them years ago, even though isometric exercises don't effectively build strength they can help maintain muscle strength, so if anyone wants to get into great shape and maintain it, its a good form of exercise, and throw all that coke and sweet tea away.  Sweet tea was the hardest thing for me to ever give up, probably like a person having to give up cigarettes.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Laughing Hog on May 05, 2014, 05:51:19 pm
I'm not sure about how much MMA would help (guess it couldn't hurt - too much), but a good straight up martial art, such as taekwondo or jiujitsu as was mentioned earlier may be better. Improves flexibility, balance, body control. Also teaches discipline.

This... +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pork Twain

Rear-naked choke at the LOS.  Bam!!!
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

COACHINTEXAS

No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

HogFanatic

Pork Twain

Quote from: COACHINTEXAS on May 06, 2014, 05:22:46 pm
Actually, if we insist anything, it would be ballet
I am going with Ash on this one.  I don't want our OL/DL to dance, I want them to grapple
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HogFanatic

Quote from: BeoPig™ on May 06, 2014, 05:27:00 pm
I am going with Ash on this one.  I don't want our OL/DL to dance, I want them to grapple

Really I am very surprised coaches don't do this. The benefits of a good grappling foundation for linemen, especially d-linemen, would be tremendous.