Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Opening Loss to Heavy Favorite Auburn Could Put Pall on Rest of Season

Started by Robert Shields, May 05, 2014, 10:14:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Opening Loss to Heavy Favorite Auburn Could Put Pall on Rest of Season

Robert Shields

With the Razorback spring game over and baseball fizzling out, there is little to do for Arkansas sports fans but start looking ahead to the next football season. And the fans were given something to consider this past week.

Auburn opened on the books as a 21-point favorite against the Razorbacks in the opening game of the season. The game is at Auburn, which for whatever reason has not been the toughest road spot for the Razorbacks as Bobby Petrino found a way to win there in is his terrible first season and John L. Smith also found a way to win a Jordan-Hare Stadium. The legend of Fred Talley left such a mark that Auburn still has trouble there against Arkansas.

Traditionally, the Razorbacks have had the luxury of opening against weak teams like last season with some team from Louisiana that calls itself Louisiana. Outside of Ole Miss as an opener, the Razorbacks have really only had two big team openers in modern history and they lost both times.

In 1980, the Razorbacks coached by Lou Holtz opened with Texas and both teams were ranked in the top 10. The young Razorback team fought hard in Austin but lost 17-23. The team struggled that season to a 6-5 record earning them a spot in the Hall of Fame Bowl in Birmingham where they got to beat the crap out of a lesser Tulane team.

In 1991, the Razorbacks coached by Jack Crowe opened against the Miami Hurricanes and lost 31-3. It ended up being Jack Crowe's finest year finishing the regular season at 6-5. The Razorbacks took down a powerful Rice team in Little Rock to finish the season and earn a spot in the Independence Bowl against the Georgia Bulldogs. This was the Razorbacks'pre-introduction into the SEC that speed really does matter as Andre Hastings took it to the house a couple of times early. Yet the Hogs battled valiantly and lost only 24-15 because they could not overcome five interceptions.

In both seasons, the opening loss put a pall on the season for Razorback fans who were used to opening with wins and then padding the record against an easy non-conference schedule usually done against Tulsa.

That precedent could be bad news now that the SEC has sold out its schedule to the SEC Network in a never-ending lust for money, which will require more tough openers like the one against Auburn.

To kick off the new network, Arkansas gets to be its sword point as the first game ever telecast on it, which is the reason the fragile Hogs do not get to start with a patsy to get their feet under them before heading into the daunting SEC.

You will get to know early what type of team the Razorbacks have in store for you. The 21-point underdog role for the opening game against Auburn is not a good harbinger. Auburn, the national runner-up in football last year under Gus Malzahn, will probably have some things in store for the game as they look to make an immediate splash on the national pollsters and algorithms.

The Razorbacks lost to Auburn 35-17 last year in Fayetteville as an 18-point underdog. So the 21 points is not out of line and may be an indicator that the odds makers don't believe the Razorbacks will be a much different team and neither will Auburn.

If an actually victory is not attainable for Arkansas, this game with Auburn is a must-win in the moral victory department. As stated earlier, a bad loss to Auburn by 21 or more very well may put a cloud on the upcoming season right out of the gate, and fans have already stayed away from the Red-White game in droves compared to the previous season.

It's a fair question to ponder how ticket sales are going for the upcoming season. And it's a fair question to ask if Frank Fletcher is willing to lay down the bet again to give away cars if the Razorbacks do not win a conference game. I think fans should at least give him the benefit of watching the first game against Auburn before fans harass him to do it again.

Send your preseason Auburn score to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Vantage 8 dude

So IF the Hogs lose to what will no doubt be a heavily favored AWbarn team the rest of the season MIGHT be shot?! Not surprisingly I'm not necessarily in agreement with ole Bobby boy here. Yes, losing BADLY certainly wouldn't be the start we'd hope, and losing at all would qualify as well, but IMO how we play will be just as important as the actual score. IF we play better defense (eliminate the big running and particularly the pass plays) and the offense is steady and able to keep the game close then even should be lose it certainly doesn't guarantee anything, including that the rest of the year will suck.

I'm NOT going to be one of those who "throws in the towel" just because we possibly lose to begin the season. We know it's an away game to a team that's returning a lot of firepower from a year ago. As I said earlier, it's HOW we play that I'll be particularly interested in and concerned about (not that I certainly don't want us to win).

Professor Psychosis

The thing I like about playing Auburn first is that they will be the toughest team we play until the Alabama game.  Nicholls, TTech, NIU, A&M in Dallas will all be easier games than the Auburn game.  Also gives us a full game against a FCS team to make adjustments for anything that may not have worked in week 1.

Ironhawg

Let's see if I understand your basic point; losing to Auburn would be bad, very bad.  Thank you Captain Obvious.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Ironhawg on May 05, 2014, 10:54:59 am
Let's see if I understand your basic point; losing to Auburn would be bad, very bad.  Thank you Captain Obvious.
why would it be very bad? we are coming off a 3-9 campaign, they are coming off a nccg loss.

PP

Pork Twain

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 05, 2014, 10:59:13 am
why would it be very bad? we are coming off a 3-9 campaign, they are coming off a nccg loss.

PP
And they are HEAVILY (21) favored to win...

[attachment deleted by admin]
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jlambert1982

I don't want to contribute to a Bobby Shields post, but didn't Arkansas open with USC in 2006? 

Also, your writing is terrible and I feel the only reason anyone clicks on it is to rubberneck at the disaster that is your craft. 

hogfan58

Quote from: Robert Shields on May 05, 2014, 10:14:07 am
Opening Loss to Heavy Favorite Auburn Could Put Pall on Rest of Season

Robert Shields

With the Razorback spring game over and baseball fizzling out, there is little to do for Arkansas sports fans but start looking ahead to the next football season. And the fans were given something to consider this past week.

Auburn opened on the books as a 21-point favorite against the Razorbacks in the opening game of the season. The game is at Auburn, which for whatever reason has not been the toughest road spot for the Razorbacks as Bobby Petrino found a way to win there in is his terrible first season and John L. Smith also found a way to win a Jordan-Hare Stadium. The legend of Fred Talley left such a mark that Auburn still has trouble there against Arkansas.

Traditionally, the Razorbacks have had the luxury of opening against weak teams like last season with some team from Louisiana that calls itself Louisiana. Outside of Ole Miss as an opener, the Razorbacks have really only had two big team openers in modern history and they lost both times.

In 1980, the Razorbacks coached by Lou Holtz opened with Texas and both teams were ranked in the top 10. The young Razorback team fought hard in Austin but lost 17-23. The team struggled that season to a 6-5 record earning them a spot in the Hall of Fame Bowl in Birmingham where they got to beat the crap out of a lesser Tulane team.

In 1991, the Razorbacks coached by Jack Crowe opened against the Miami Hurricanes and lost 31-3. It ended up being Jack Crowe's finest year finishing the regular season at 6-5. The Razorbacks took down a powerful Rice team in Little Rock to finish the season and earn a spot in the Independence Bowl against the Georgia Bulldogs. This was the Razorbacks'pre-introduction into the SEC that speed really does matter as Andre Hastings took it to the house a couple of times early. Yet the Hogs battled valiantly and lost only 24-15 because they could not overcome five interceptions.

In both seasons, the opening loss put a pall on the season for Razorback fans who were used to opening with wins and then padding the record against an easy non-conference schedule usually done against Tulsa.

That precedent could be bad news now that the SEC has sold out its schedule to the SEC Network in a never-ending lust for money, which will require more tough openers like the one against Auburn.

To kick off the new network, Arkansas gets to be its sword point as the first game ever telecast on it, which is the reason the fragile Hogs do not get to start with a patsy to get their feet under them before heading into the daunting SEC.

You will get to know early what type of team the Razorbacks have in store for you. The 21-point underdog role for the opening game against Auburn is not a good harbinger. Auburn, the national runner-up in football last year under Gus Malzahn, will probably have some things in store for the game as they look to make an immediate splash on the national pollsters and algorithms.

The Razorbacks lost to Auburn 35-17 last year in Fayetteville as an 18-point underdog. So the 21 points is not out of line and may be an indicator that the odds makers don't believe the Razorbacks will be a much different team and neither will Auburn.

If an actually victory is not attainable for Arkansas, this game with Auburn is a must-win in the moral victory department. As stated earlier, a bad loss to Auburn by 21 or more very well may put a cloud on the upcoming season right out of the gate, and fans have already stayed away from the Red-White game in droves compared to the previous season.

It's a fair question to ponder how ticket sales are going for the upcoming season. And it's a fair question to ask if Frank Fletcher is willing to lay down the bet again to give away cars if the Razorbacks do not win a conference game. I think fans should at least give him the benefit of watching the first game against Auburn before fans harass him to do it again.

Send your preseason Auburn score to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

Fact checking and writing your "article" don't go hand-in-hand, so I'll do it for you......

TAMU and South Carolina play the first game on the SEC Network, not UA-Auburn.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

DOGALUM

Quote from: BeoPig™ on May 05, 2014, 11:00:53 am
And they are HEAVILY (21) favored to win...
And don't forget......the "precedent" he is talking about is based on two games played 34 and 23 years ago.......under different coaches.....in a different conference.....with absolutely no similarities other than they also were football games.   

Who the hell is Robert Shields?
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

clew

Not to pile on, but this is atrocious. We have zippo to lose. They may kick our tails, but there is a lot more pressure on the "University of Auburn" (as one of their recruits called them). As some have pointed out, we rebounded nicely from the USC loss. I'd rather play them early than late.
Pure as the dawn

smb

GeorgiaHOG

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

ricepig

Article as usual is so full of inaccuracies, too numerous to mention. Even misspelled "could" in the header, smh.

MJ2

Ya gotta play them sometime during the year, so it might as well be first.

PorkRinds

Al Boarland

Quote from: wupigsuey on May 05, 2014, 11:24:58 am
So one blowout loss (if it happens) and we're folding up shop, huh?

As Hog fans we need to show our support.  I don't know what season ticket sales are like for the upcoming season, but that is a great indicator of fan support.  CBB needs to put a competitive product on the field because if there are no butts in seats he and JL will have a big problem on their hands.

Means-well

PennHOG

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Jacob Lambert on May 05, 2014, 11:03:14 am
I don't want to contribute to a Bobby Shields post, but didn't Arkansas open with USC in 2006? 

Also, your writing is terrible and I feel the only reason anyone clicks on it is to rubberneck at the disaster that is your craft. 

Correct.  And then Arkansas proceeded to win 10 games in a row, finished 7-1 in the SEC, and played in the SEC title game.

OTTER

Good gosh, Robert.  Do you try to make each new post more asinine than the last, or does it just work out that way?
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

mjsphd

"And it's a fair question to ask if Frank Fletcher is willing to lay down the bet again to give away cars if the Razorbacks do not win a conference game."

Anyone heard if Mr. Fletcher has actually given away any cars?  I think he promised to give away one a month for a year.  I would assume if he is doing it, he would want to get all the publicity he could, but I haven't heard a word.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 05, 2014, 11:45:02 am
As Hog fans we need to show our support.  I don't know what season ticket sales are like for the upcoming season, but that is a great indicator of fan support.  CBB needs to put a competitive product on the field because if there are no butts in seats he and JL will have a big problem on their hands.
now that maybe a Captain Obvious

PP

Al Boarland

HogFanatic

Colonel Obvious here checking in to say that the game is played on the field. The second game on the SEC Network that day and the team who scores the most points will win the game.

Tejano Jawg

The last 2 seasons have taught me something...careful with that optimism.

When we open at Auburn--the most I'll hope for is a competitive game (like LSU last year). If we get more than that--great. I think most people here would realistically expect a loss. Auburn is still good...they've got the most underrated QB in the conference. Nick Marshall is the kind of player who could single-handedly beat us.

Given that game is an L, there's no reason we can't regroup and put a decent season together.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogfan58 on May 05, 2014, 11:05:18 am
Fact checking and writing your "article" don't go hand-in-hand, so I'll do it for you......

TAMU and South Carolina play the first game on the SEC Network, not UA-Auburn.

So, was this "bad writing on his part"?

HogFanatic

We shouldn't do his fact checking for him, guys. Its like rewarding bad behavior.
Robert Shields is bad at his job.

LZH

Quote from: Robert Shields on May 05, 2014, 10:14:07 amTo kick off the new network, Arkansas gets to be its sword point as the first game ever telecast on it, which is the reason the fragile Hogs do not get to start with a patsy to get their feet under them before heading into the daunting SEC.

Wrong.  For God's sake, research at all?

Below is the 2014 SEC Network schedule (16 games through Sept. 20):

Thursday, Aug. 28

Texas A&M at South Carolina, 6pm ET
Temple at Vanderbilt, 9:15 pm ET

Saturday, Aug. 30

UT Martin at Kentucky, Noon ET
Arkansas at Auburn, 4 pm ET
Southern Miss at Mississippi State, 7:30 pm ET

Sunday, Aug. 31

Utah State at Tennessee, 7 pm ET

http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/05/sec-network-football-schedule-first-four-weeks-2014-season/

The_Iceman

Wild Bill Hog

HogFanatic

Does anyone else find it hilarious that every single damn Shields thread is a complete train wreck?

LZH

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 05, 2014, 01:10:11 pm
He is that pitiful at what he does.

Yeah I stopped reading right there.  I always give it a go when he posts on here, but I think I'm about done.  Anyone can pretend to have contacts or access and then combine whatever Wally Hall says and a condensed version of Hogville for the week and call it a 'column'.

Southern Hogspitality

HogFanatic

Quote from: LZH on May 05, 2014, 01:16:38 pm
Yeah I stopped reading right there.  I always give it a go when he posts on here, but I think I'm about done.  Anyone can pretend to have contacts or access and then combine whatever Wally Hall says and a condensed version of Hogville for the week and call it a 'column'.

Do you think he gets paid to do that?

AFWarrior83

Why does everyone bully on Robert Shields? Who cares if he isn't the best writer, he's a hog fan like the rest of us. And who is Robert Shields anyhow?
Hogville member since 2005.

hogfan58

I'm afraid to even ask, but other than here, does this weekly column get published anywhere else? Surely a newspaper doesn't.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

LZH

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 05, 2014, 01:24:21 pm
Do you think he gets paid to do that?

I know a guy who writes songs, records them, sells the singles online and then turns around and buys hundreds of dollars worth of them himself.  Then when his sales count gets up, he'll go on facebook and post "How great!....I'm #9 for the day on internetradio.com!" or whatever it is.  True story - pitiful.  If possible, I'd have to believe that Shields is of the same ilk.

LZH

Quote from: hogfan58 on May 05, 2014, 01:34:50 pm
I'm afraid to even ask, but other than here, does this weekly column get published anywhere else? Surely a newspaper doesn't.

Yeah, sure does.  A few of the hometown papers in SE Ark.

hogfan58

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on May 05, 2014, 01:33:34 pm
Why does everyone bully on Robert Shields? Who cares if he isn't the best writer, he's a hog fan like the rest of us. And who is Robert Shields anyhow?

I'm a hog fan, so should I write something every week? Here....

HOGS HAVE A TOUGH GO THIS YEAR

Hopefully, Brandon Allen will play better than he did in the Red/White game and as he did last year. Will he, who knows. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But 2 things are certain....1) cancer is bad and 2) Pepsi will be served at RRS.

GO HOGS!

jkstock04

Only thing I like about coming out of the gate against Auburn for first game is that I won't have to read on here and hear our media spin for the first week or two of the season how the coaches simply didn't wanna show their cards for more important games to come....and read the word "vanilla" a million times.

We have had to hear that excuse for the past 2 years in a row, won't have to hear that one this year to start the season.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Rey Pygsterio

The athletic director never, and the Rock means NEVER, should have allowed the SEC and TV$ money to dictate that Arkansas open the season with the runner-up to the national championship.

This is a disastrous administrative decision that will likely tank the season from the onset with little chance of recovering.

Just remember when Auburn covers the spread that Bielema isn't the only one to blame. This is a bad, bad, bad decision that will have lasting repercussions to the football program.

But when the goal is always money rather than winning, this is what you get.

#1-0
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

HogFanatic

Quote from: LZH on May 05, 2014, 01:36:59 pm
I know a guy who writes songs, records them, sells the singles online and then turns around and buys hundreds of dollars worth of them himself.  Then when his sales count gets up, he'll go on facebook and post "How great!....I'm #9 for the day on internetradio.com!" or whatever it is.  True story - pitiful.  If possible, I'd have to believe that Shields is of the same ilk.

So the guy purposefully loses money so he can stroke his ego on faceborg? Lmao! That's hilarious!

To other poster just above: the vanilla excuse is much older than two years. I remember hearing that when Hootie was still here, which was especially funny. He had no playbook to open up! Haha

LZH

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 05, 2014, 02:02:36 pm
So the guy purposefully loses money so he can stroke his ego on faceborg? Lmao! That's hilarious!

To other poster just above: the vanilla excuse is much older than two years. I remember hearing that when Hootie was still here, which was especially funny. He had no playbook to open up! Haha

Yep.  Apparently he doesn't know that I know this - actually he doesn't know that EVERYBODY knows it - but he keeps doing it.

I got a kick out of guys saying just last week that our scrimmage was kept vanilla so Auburn couldn't get some sort of golden information for September.  Ha!

HogFanatic

Quote from: LZH on May 05, 2014, 02:16:31 pm
Yep.  Apparently he doesn't know that I know this - actually he doesn't know that EVERYBODY knows it - but he keeps doing it.

I got a kick out of guys saying just last week that our scrimmage was kept vanilla so Auburn couldn't get some sort of golden information for September.  Ha!

I'm not exactly sure WHAT they were doing. It seems like they were just treating it like any other practice. They ran the same handful of plays over and over again. I don't wanna say it was vanilla because coaches don't actually do that (regardless of what they do Auburn will be prepared for what they throw at them), but they were obviously just focusing on certain elements of the passing game. Most likely the elements that give BA the most trouble.

LZH

It was another practice, and that's OK.  I just wish we didn't look so slow.

And no, teams don't 'go vanilla' trying to outsmart their opponents.  During game week in an open practice?  Yeah, maybe.  Spring ball and coming off a 3-9 season?  Gimme a flippin' break.