Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Korliss Marshall!!!

Started by bxw21, May 05, 2014, 09:16:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1highhog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 05, 2014, 05:16:03 pm
I have never agreed with the adage of "you can't coach speed." Anyone who has ran track seriously will tell you that there are techniques involved in running fast. For some it comes naturally, but speed is something that CAN be worked on and improved.

It's one of the dumbest things that people say about atheletes.  Ask Coach John McDonnell if he can't coach speed, he'd probably only have to hit you twice for you to realize that probably at the very least he won 10 of those Championships by that exact thing, His way of teaching speed to an athelete.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Legball13 on May 08, 2014, 09:31:58 am
when talking about his speed. he is a legit 4.3 and doesnt slow down when the pads come on.
I'm not sure I would go that far.  he is a legit 4.4 guy, but he doesn't have dmac speed.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

whosiskid

One thing that has to be said about Korliss is that he isn't  merely fast but has good vision. You can't just be fast, but you have to able to see the spot your speed has to take you to break a long run. Sounds trite but it is true. Darren and Felix were like that. They would see the spot they needed to beat the other guys to and go there. Living in Chicago for so many years I got to see Devin Hester for years. He is a SPOT runner. He wouldn't break many tackles or make many cuts, unlike Gale Sayers or Barry Sanders, but he saw and hit spots or lanes.

Guys like Darren or Korliss often look like he isn't doing that much on a run, but he is. He has worked out the geometry of the play. It is a twofold skill. You have to have worked out the geometry of the field and you have to have the speed to exploit what you see.  Marshall has both of those skills (I watched his HS highlights a LOT before we finally signed him and that speed + vision is what made me think running back was his natural position) and it should translate into consistent success.  I believe he will be far and away our leading big play running back,  though I also think Collins and Williams will be the better all around backs.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

HogFanatic

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 09, 2014, 09:44:17 pm
I'm not sure I would go that far.  he is a legit 4.4 guy, but he doesn't have dmac speed.

He is sub 4.4
At least as reported by Richard Davenport back when Arkansas offered him. 4.3 something laser timed.

HogFanatic

Quote from: whosiskid on May 10, 2014, 05:30:36 pm
One thing that has to be said about Korliss is that he isn't  merely fast but has good vision. You can't just be fast, but you have to able to see the spot your speed has to take you to break a long run. Sounds trite but it is true. Darren and Felix were like that. They would see the spot they needed to beat the other guys to and go there. Living in Chicago for so many years I got to see Devin Hester for years. He is a SPOT runner. He wouldn't break many tackles or make many cuts, unlike Gale Sayers or Barry Sanders, but he saw and hit spots or lanes.

Guys like Darren or Korliss often look like he isn't doing that much on a run, but he is. He has worked out the geometry of the play. It is a twofold skill. You have to have worked out the geometry of the field and you have to have the speed to exploit what you see.  Marshall has both of those skills (I watched his HE highl

This is exactly right. Reggie Bush was the best I have ever watched as a spot runner. He would cut 15 yards ahead of a defender and by the time the guy got near him, Bush was pulling away.
Marshall has that speed and vision. He is going to make a lot of people look ridiculously slow.

urkillnmesmalls

So far, the most recognized running backs for the Razorbacks have always gone on to be the most distinguished in the NFL. Oh wait.... 

Signed,

Peyton Hillis
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.