Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Korliss Marshall!!!

Started by bxw21, May 05, 2014, 09:16:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bxw21

Living in China, I was just now able to watch the spring game on youtube (thanks to who finally posted it).  I just wanted to comment on how impressed I was with the interview with Korliss after the game.  He was very very well spoken and seemed extremely humble.  They maybe the 3 best running backs in the SEC, but I would guess that they are also 3 of the best people as well.  If we only win 3 games this year, it would still be a pleasure to follow these guys.  I love the quality of people we are getting on this team.  Go Hogs!!!

pillowhog

Best player on the team, superstar.  Been saying it since the kid was in highschool.  Overlooked by many

PorkRinds

Quote from: pillowhog on May 05, 2014, 09:43:51 am
Best player on the team, superstar.  Been saying it since the kid was in highschool.  Overlooked by many

It's literally insane to call him the best player on the team having seen him run less plays than you can count on one hand in an actual game.  I love the kid, but let's not over state where he is right now. He will be awesome for us, but best on the team?  Doubtful.

go hogues

Where's the link to watch it? I was searching for it just this weekend and couldn't find it?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2014, 09:48:22 am
It's literally insane to call him the best player on the team having seen him run less plays than you can count on one hand in an actual game.  I love the kid, but let's not over state where he is right now. He will be awesome for us, but best on the team?  Doubtful.

People get excited by that big run, but I wish they would watch the play closely. He was not touched the whole way. Other than straight line speed it doesn't show us much. I am cheering for him, but I want to see him juke somebody. Run over somebody. Step up and block a blitzing LB. Keep his eye on the ball out in the flat as a safety comes blasting in on him.

We have seen none of this from him. He has the speed now will he develop the rest of the skills needed to be a top RB? I certainly hope so as our season will need three good backs.

But I am with you that it isn't fair to compare him to some of the greats this early in his career. Just leave the hype at home and pull for the young man to fulfill his potential. The fans mean well, but stop it.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

LZH

Quote from: pillowhog on May 05, 2014, 09:43:51 am

Oh my.

PorkRinds

Quote from: locusbug on May 05, 2014, 10:07:01 am
People get excited by that big run, but I wish they would watch the play closely. He was not touched the whole way. Other than straight line speed it doesn't show us much. I am cheering for him, but I want to see him juke somebody. Run over somebody. Step up and block a blitzing LB. Keep his eye on the ball out in the flat as a safety comes blasting in on him.

We have seen none of this from him. He has the speed now will he develop the rest of the skills needed to be a top RB? I certainly hope so as our season will need three good backs.

But I am with you that it isn't fair to compare him to some of the greats this early in his career. Just leave the hype at home and pull for the young man to fulfill his potential. The fans mean well, but stop it.

Completely agree.  The kid is really fast, and I'd LOVE to see a home grown kid turn into something special.  But my gosh, he's not to be compared to the greatest back we've ever had just yet.

Carl Lazlo

It's ridiculous to assert a player going untouched for a long td run hasn't accomplished something great.  And he'll make catches, jukes, run people over, pick up blitzes. Again very odd to complaint for a guy that had to fight on the scout team and earn the few carries he had late in the season.

Pork Twain

Best player to ever come from the state...EVER!!!

Second place: Korliss Marshall's shadow, but even that is a distant second.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

boxboy

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2014, 10:15:06 am
Completely agree.  The kid is really fast, and I'd LOVE to see a home grown kid turn into something special.  But my gosh, he's not to be compared to the greatest back we've ever had just yet.

ricepig

Quote from: BeoPig™ on May 05, 2014, 10:47:08 am

Third place: the ghost of Korliss' shadow?

OptimusHog

Quote from: BeoPig™ on May 05, 2014, 10:47:08 am

Get serious...

aredwolfrazorback

there is definitely a double standard on hogville between repressing the optimism for marshall's future and being in complete denial about ba's ability to play qb.
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

PorkRinds

Quote from: aredwolfrazorback on May 05, 2014, 11:54:38 am
there is definitely a double standard on hogville between repressing the optimism for marshall's future and being in complete denial about ba's ability to play qb.

So where are all the posts saying BA will be a star this year?  I don't see a double standard at all.  Most are saying "wait and see what BA does before you say he's a failure' while most are also saying "wait and see what Korliss does until you call him the second coming of Dmac".  How's that different?

aredwolfrazorback

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2014, 11:58:18 am
So where are all the posts saying BA will be a star this year?  I don't see a double standard at all.  Most are saying "wait and see what BA does before you say he's a failure' while most are also saying "wait and see what Korliss does until you call him the second coming of Dmac".  How's that different?

taking the extreme opinions out, i.e. either hating or loving ba, i get the impression that most are pretty big believers in him and feel he will get the job done. every time someone mentions marshall we get all of this stuff about only x amount of carries and and a ton of other negativity. while that is definitely valid evidence, there is a ton of other evidence to indicate he will be very very good. Now, trying to legitimately claim he is the second coming is just silly.

i guess my point is that the cautious optimism seems strange to me regarding marshall when there seems to be blind optimism with regards to ba. we have a little bit of evidence that seems to point that marshall could be really good. we have a ton of evidence that points in the opposite direction for ba. (i'm not trying to hate on ba).

maybe we are learning from experience to curb our enthusiasm

UA 2010
ASU 2008

pillowhog

Go watch his highschool film on youtube.  One of the best I've seen.  And I've seen a lot

ChitownHawg

Quote from: pillowhog on May 05, 2014, 12:28:55 pm
Go watch his highschool film on youtube.  One of the best I've seen.  And I've seen a lot

That can be misleading. Care to go watch Ronnie Wingo's high school tapes?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: footballmaniac on May 05, 2014, 10:43:09 am
It's ridiculous to assert a player going untouched for a long td run hasn't accomplished something great.  And he'll make catches, jukes, run people over, pick up blitzes. Again very odd to complaint for a guy that had to fight on the scout team and earn the few carries he had late in the season.

Slow down there Hoss. Go back and read my posts. I am not complaining about Korliss. I am saying the excitement and comparisons to Dmac are over blown. His run to the house was exciting, but at the end of the day it was an untouched run.

I have repeatedly stated I believe the kid will develop into an SEC back, but as of TODAY he has not played enough to KNOW if he will be. I am just not ready to label him the second coming of Dmac. Now look at any of the threads on Korliss and you will see I have repeatedly stated this.

So slow down and read for comprehension not speed.

PorkRinds

Quote from: aredwolfrazorback on May 05, 2014, 12:08:16 pm
taking the extreme opinions out, i.e. either hating or loving ba, i get the impression that most are pretty big believers in him and feel he will get the job done. every time someone mentions marshall we get all of this stuff about only x amount of carries and and a ton of other negativity. while that is definitely valid evidence, there is a ton of other evidence to indicate he will be very very good. Now, trying to legitimately claim he is the second coming is just silly.

i guess my point is that the cautious optimism seems strange to me regarding marshall when there seems to be blind optimism with regards to ba. we have a little bit of evidence that seems to point that marshall could be really good. we have a ton of evidence that points in the opposite direction for ba. (i'm not trying to hate on ba).

maybe we are learning from experience to curb our enthusiasm

I think a better descriptor for the feelings about BA is hopeful, not optimistic.  Everyone is just crossing their fingers and hoping it works out.  With Korliss, most people realize the kid is good, just aren't ready to anoint him better than the two proven backs, and certainly not the best on the team.

pillowhog

Quote from: locusbug on May 05, 2014, 12:30:56 pm
That can be misleading. Care to go watch Ronnie Wingo's high school tapes?
Um he made it to the NFL sir LMFAO.  Actually I remember not being too impressed with his tapes

PygmalionEffect

Well stated
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2014, 12:36:10 pm
I think a better descriptor for the feelings about BA is hopeful, not optimistic.  Everyone is just crossing their fingers and hoping it works out.  With Korliss, most people realize the kid is good, just aren't ready to anoint him better than the two proven backs, and certainly not the best on the team.

With Korliss you are getting the Gus Bus Crew mentality. Anything beyond gushing is viewed as negative. I wonder if it is the same people?  ;)

aredwolfrazorback

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2014, 12:36:10 pm

i can agree with that.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

Ugly Uncle

I truly don't understand the need of people to kill excitement and the gushing for KM.  Let everyone enjoy themselves and stop being a wet blanket.
Retired Radio Host

pillowhog

I will bet anyone on this board a case of beer that he will be in the NFL in 3 years.  I will drink anything besides Keystone Light

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 05, 2014, 01:01:03 pm
I truly don't understand the need of people to kill excitement and the gushing for KM.  Let everyone enjoy themselves and stop being a wet blanket.

I'm excited about Korliss and what he brings to the table.  I just think it's unfair to him to overhype him.  He may very well be the best back on the team by the end of the season, but to say so now is projecting something that hasn't been proven at all.  Again, I love that everyone is excited about him, and I am too.  I think he'll be used in multiple ways.  I just wish everyone could temper it down a bit and let him go through the season without having to worry about everyone expecting him to be the best back on the team.

pillowhog

I dont expect him to be the best back.  I expect him to be the best playmaker in the kicking game and a great compliment to our other backs. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: pillowhog on May 05, 2014, 01:17:55 pm
I dont expect him to be the best back.  I expect him to be the best playmaker in the kicking game and a great compliment to our other backs.

I would agree with both.

HogFanatic

Quote from: locusbug on May 05, 2014, 12:41:16 pm
With Korliss you are getting the Gus Bus Crew mentality. Anything beyond gushing is viewed as negative. I wonder if it is the same people?  ;)

Not in my case.
I think Marshall has a very high ceiling as a collegiate back. Very possibly our best one. He has zero hesitation at the line and hits a hole like he is shot put of a cannon. He will be a human highlight reel this year.

Also, I respect Malzahn's power as a dark wizard, but I do not like him. I respect him because I fear him.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: locusbug on May 05, 2014, 12:35:36 pm
Slow down there Hoss. Go back and read my posts. I am not complaining about Korliss. I am saying the excitement and comparisons to Dmac are over blown. His run to the house was exciting, but at the end of the day it was an untouched run.

I have repeatedly stated I believe the kid will develop into an SEC back, but as of TODAY he has not played enough to KNOW if he will be. I am just not ready to label him the second coming of Dmac. Now look at any of the threads on Korliss and you will see I have repeatedly stated this.

So slow down and read for comprehension not speed.

Thats your opinion. And it's noted. Korliss has the same afterburners dmac is known for so it isn't so crazy after all.  He'll gain at least 10 pounds over the summer which will help with work load, blitz pick ups etc.  CBB stated he's a "freak"

PorkRinds

Quote from: footballmaniac on May 05, 2014, 01:38:54 pm
Thats your opinion. And it's noted. Korliss has the same afterburners dmac is known for so it isn't so crazy after all. He'll gain at least 10 pounds over the summer which will help with work load, blitz pick ups etc.  CBB stated he's a "freak"
Same Afterburners?  So he runs a 4.3?

HogFanatic

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2014, 01:41:05 pm
Same Afterburners?  So he runs a 4.3?

He was reported to run a 4.3 something or other. I didn't believe it when RD reported it, but he IS extremely fast.
Elite even

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 05, 2014, 01:43:15 pm
He was reported to run a 4.3 something or other. I didn't believe it when RD reported it, but he IS extremely fast.
Elite even

No doubt he's fast, but I don't think he's shown Dmac afterburners just yet.  My lord, I REALLY hope he does!

HogFanatic

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2014, 01:49:23 pm
No doubt he's fast, but I don't think he's shown Dmac afterburners just yet.  My lord, I REALLY hope he does!

4.3 is the type of speed that allows you to go 60 yards untouched. Matt Jones was another burner and he often did the same thing. Its so fast that defenders have to continually adjust their line in order to catch you if they can at all.

Carl Lazlo

He's sub 4.4 and CBB also said he could actually get faster with 10 extra pounds.

HogFanatic

Quote from: footballmaniac on May 05, 2014, 02:11:15 pm
He's sub 4.4 and CBB also said he could actually get faster with 10 extra pounds.

If I remember correctly it was 4.32. That is elite sprinter speed. Combine that with his willingness to hit people (wanted to play safety) and you have another Dmac on your hands.

He may never duplicate Dmac's insane stats, but he has that kind of potential.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 05, 2014, 01:01:03 pm
Nothing like letting Hogville posters continually blow things out of proportion, just to see them have their hopes crushed.  Heaven forbid we just be realistic and let things play out.  This hype is very Vin Whitehurstish
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

PorkRinds

Quote from: BeoPig™ on May 05, 2014, 02:57:21 pm
Seriously, best playa eva

He's not a playa he just rush a lot.  :razorback:

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: BeoPig™ on May 05, 2014, 02:53:29 pm
Nothing like letting Hogville posters continually blow things out of proportion, just to see them have their hopes crushed.  Heaven forbid we just be realistic and let things play out.  This hype is very Vin Whitehurstish

Negative people always say they are just being realistic.  Truth is, you are probably right...but where is the fun in that?
Retired Radio Host

Pork Twain

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2014, 03:00:41 pm
He's not a playa he just rush a lot.  :razorback:
I wish I could hit the like button for this.

Pork Twain

May 05, 2014, 03:10:55 pm #41 Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:34:40 pm by BeoPig™
Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 05, 2014, 03:06:21 pm
Negative people always say they are just being realistic.  Truth is, you are probably right...but where is the fun in that?
That's the thing.  I have not said one single negative word about KM.  It is BS to label someone as negative just because they don't agree with you.  I just think people are getting carried away.  The carries will work themselves out and if he earns it, he will get it.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on May 05, 2014, 01:32:14 pm
Not in my case.
I think Marshall has a very high ceiling as a collegiate back. Very possibly our best one. He has zero hesitation at the line and hits a hole like he is shot put of a cannon. He will be a human highlight reel this year.

Also, I respect Malzahn's power as a dark wizard, but I do not like him. I respect him because I fear him.

You are correct I would not place you in that category. I have posted many times wrote I love the kid and hope him all the success. But look at how some respond to that as if I were complaining about Korliss. Simply not true.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: footballmaniac on May 05, 2014, 01:38:54 pm
Thats your opinion. And it's noted. Korliss has the same afterburners dmac is known for so it isn't so crazy after all.  He'll gain at least 10 pounds over the summer which will help with work load, blitz pick ups etc.  CBB stated he's a "freak"

And I hope he squeezes every last ounce out of his potential. There is nothing like a story of a kid who no one wanted and becomes a star.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 05, 2014, 03:06:21 pm

UU who has been negative in this thread? Who posted anything negative about Korliss? If I or anyone else has then I missed it.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: BeoPig™ on May 05, 2014, 03:10:55 pm
That's the thing.  I have not said one single negative word about KM.  It is BS to label someone as negative just because they don't agree with you.  I just think people are getting carried away.  The carries will work themselves out and if he earns it, he will get it.

He's already earned it bud. 

This is how I see his carries infolding game by game. It could easily change depending on injuries .

G1- 10 rush att
G2-  5 rush Att
G3- 10 rush att
G4- 12 rush att
G5- 6 rush att
G6 - 10 rush att
G7-  8 rush att
G8-  8 rush att
G9- 11 rush att
G10- 16 rush att
G11-  15 rush att
G12- 15 rush att

6.7 yards per carry

Pork Twain

We shall see.  I doubt that his ypc will be that high with increased carries though.

PorkRinds

Quote from: footballmaniac on May 05, 2014, 04:07:17 pm
He's already earned it bud. 

This is how I see his carries infolding game by game. It could easily change depending on injuries .

G1- 10 rush att
G2-  5 rush Att
G3- 10 rush att
G4- 12 rush att
G5- 6 rush att
G6 - 10 rush att
G7-  8 rush att
G8-  8 rush att
G9- 11 rush att
G10- 16 rush att
G11-  15 rush att
G12- 15 rush att

6.7 yards per carry

Lol. Based on what? You just made that up.

Carl Lazlo

If he gets half that amount of carriers I would expect a higher average. Between 8-9 yards per att

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2014, 04:34:42 pm
Lol. Based on what? You just made that up.

The end of last season and the spring game.  CBB statements .