Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB is Nutt 2.0 vs. BB will bring success here, and those somewhere in the middle

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, May 04, 2014, 12:18:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think?

BB is Nutt 2.0
BB is responsible, at least in part for the losses and the way we played last season
It's too early to tell - he needs at least 2 more seasons
BB is one of the best coaches in America, last season was not his fault and he will bring great success back to the program.
BB has us going in the right direction, hopefully we can get there

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on May 04, 2014, 02:25:13 pm
He's the Head Hog football coach, so I will support him.
With that said, I think he was a poor hire and a bad fit at Arkansas.
Of course, I'm still mad Frank didn't hire Jimmy Johnson.
So, he's a poor hire and a bad fit, yet you are mad we didn't hire someone with an identical philosophy?

Makes sense.  ???
All Gas, No Brakes!

redeye

Athog

This is why people call Hog fans whiners! Stupid thread! First year when the roster was depleted. It is a useless discussion.

LZH

Quote from: Athog on May 04, 2014, 03:40:57 pm
This is why people call Hog fans whiners! Stupid thread! First year when the roster was depleted. It is a useless discussion.

Depleted rosters should still play hard, not give up after the first quarter....and that's on the coach.  But whatever makes ya'll feel better.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: LZH on May 04, 2014, 01:06:08 pm
So would you see any point having a debate about his first year on the job if he had gone 9-3 instead of 3-9? ...

If we were at 9-3 the debate could easily go :

" Is CBB ever going to win the SEC, like he promised, or will we be mired in the mix, at no better than 9-3, for CBBs career here?"
" Well, HDN could get us to that level so I don't think he's a lick better than Nutt 2.0."
" Just give Bielema 3 years, until we can expect to win the SECCG."
" Bring back... nm.

Short answer : YES, there would be some kind of debate on The Hogs Coach, regardless of his record. And it wouldn't matter if there was a sensible point of debate, or not.

" GO HOGS "

chitwnhog

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Notshavin on May 04, 2014, 03:27:09 pm
Okay, even more simple:

1.  Fire BB
2.  Not satisfied with BB so far
3.  Too early to say
4.  I love BB, he's shown me enough to want him here for a long time.
5.  I'm a bit skeptical, but he's going in the right direction and hopefully we'll get to where we need to be.

This is what's wrong with America today....we continually dumb-down!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

LZH

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 04, 2014, 04:01:48 pm
If we were at 9-3 the debate could easily go :

" Is CBB ever going to win the SEC, like he promised, or will we be mired in the mix, at no better than 9-3, for CBBs career here?"
" Well, HDN could get us to that level so I don't think he's a lick better than Nutt 2.0."
" Just give Bielema 3 years, until we can expect to win the SECCG."
" Bring back... nm.

Short answer : YES, there would be some kind of debate on The Hogs Coach, regardless of his record. And it wouldn't matter if there was a sensible point of debate, or not.

" GO HOGS "

I would agree, but I don't think he would.

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 04, 2014, 09:20:57 am
You aren't "weird" at all. This is a rational take on the situation.

We were willing to give BP time to get his players on the field and as good as he was at strategic play-calling in any given down and distance, he was also just as good as a QB coach to coach the system that he embraced. More so on offense than on defense, but there isn't any doubt that he had a lot to do with the defensive scheme as well, which was never one that gave great emphasis to the defense, but helped them be just good enough that they helped accomplish and compliment what he wanted to accomplish on offense in terms of an overall gameplan.

One year in and many are already willing to throw him under the bus because he isn't "entertaining" the fan base by throwing the ball all over the field and because he made a bad decision with regard to the DC (and the DC's philosophy) that he brought with him. Never mind that the only QB that we had injured his throwing shoulder early in the season. An excuse? No, a fact. If any other QB had stepped up and had shown a higher level of proficiency than Derby, they would have been inserted. But that was obviously not the case by evidence of their performance so far throughout the spring.

My thing is how can you be a defensive minded coach and whiff on your DC?  One of the top coaches in the nation wouldn't do that. I could see going the wrong direction with the OC, but not the side of the ball that's supposedly your strength.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: LZH on May 04, 2014, 04:13:51 pm
I would agree, but I don't think he would.
I apologize for breaking into the conversation, but I saw an opening.

" GO HOGS "

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

OK, last try:

1.  No
2.  Probably not
3.  Needs more time
4.  Yes
5.  Maybe

Sorry i wasn't more clear.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

LZH

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Notshavin on May 04, 2014, 04:29:33 pm
OK, last try:

1.  No
2.  Probably not
3.  Needs more time
4.  Yes
5.  Maybe

Sorry i wasn't more clear.

Yes, Maybe CBB Needs more time, but No, Probably not more than 3 more years.

" GO HOGS "

FBREW000

geesh, this is like using the weekly reader for preschoolers.... Dang!

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Chi-twn-hog on May 04, 2014, 04:02:06 pm
34-17  That puts him right at .500.  King Bobby we always had a 50/50 chance to win.
When did 34-17 become 50% ?

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 04, 2014, 04:41:15 pm
Yes, Maybe CBB Needs more time, but No, Probably not more than 3 more years.

" GO HOGS "

The "maybe" would be maybe BB will work out, as in slightly more positive than negative. 

Needs more time, meaning he needs more time for you to make up your mind whether No, probably not, maybe or Yes.

No means fire him now.

Again, choose the BEST answer that BEST describes your perspective.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

LZH

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 04, 2014, 04:16:21 pm
My thing is how can you be a defensive minded coach and whiff on your DC?  One of the top coaches in the nation wouldn't do that. I could see going the wrong direction with the OC, but not the side of the ball that's supposedly your strength.
If you have no talent it doesn't matter who your coordinator is. Mark Dantonio, a defensive minded coach, brought in Pat Narduzzi, currently one of the best defensive coordinators in college football, to rebuild the defense that John L. Smith left. The first few years, they had no talent and the defenses were terrible. But they recruited and developed good players and the past few years they have had great defenses.

Chris Ash actually had some good defenses at Wisconsin, but he also had talent. In 2012, Wisconsin started juniors and seniors exclusively on defense. He didn't have that type of talent here and it showed. Bielema probably realized that they didn't have time to recruit and develop the type of talent necessary to run Ash's scheme so he brought in someone with a more aggressive scheme...or Ash just said "screw this" and left. We don't know.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Hogs-n-Roses

Year one. Pass. New system,finding new assistants, getting acclimated to new conference...... Steady improvement to me would be to see much improved(evidence of coaches) in QB play,secondary play, on players part as well as better play calling and decisions. At the end of year 2 with Bobby P. I was excited bout the future and it was obvious we were going to be tough to beat. So this year should be along those lines. Say 6-6 or a little better and we can all rest easy. Less than that and I'll be skeptical at best.

WilsonHog

I prefer a simpler approach:

(A) I support the Razorbacks.

(B) I don't support the Razorbacks.

dmaxfan

Gruden would have been a better hire.

J/K ;)
Being successful in the SEC will be tough for any coach. We have to recruit against A&M, AL, LSU, FL ETC. We rarely get any 5 star recruits. I know everyone including me is tired of hearing "be patient." He was the best coach we could hire at the time and probably the best we could do now.
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: ReddieHawg on May 04, 2014, 05:19:32 pm
... Bielema probably realized that they didn't have time to recruit and develop the type of talent necessary to run Ash's scheme so he brought in someone with a more aggressive scheme...or Ash just said "screw this" and left. We don't know.
Based 100% on gut reaction, I think you are correct that CBB wanted a change and facilitated a positive process that allowed some assistants to find new coaching positions minus any drama and negativity. The end result of the changes on the defensive side of the ball did not strike me as a negative process.
I think CBB realized we needed a defensive re-direction, for success in the SEC. The defense seems a little more cohesive/intense than last year. Better tackling.

" GO HOGS "

Edit : Yes, I think CBB will be very successful here, for an extended tenure, and I am 100% a Razorback Fan.

870hogfan

Quote from: LZH on May 04, 2014, 05:13:07 pm
About the same time Petrino became such a crappy coach and recruiter.

Petrino is a good recruiter?

Peter Porker

Agenda

Quote from: Notshavin on December 06, 2012, 09:21:30 pm
Keep drinking Long's kool aid...I will be here with cookies once QB Killa #2 works his magic...

Quote from: Notshavin on December 04, 2012, 08:47:04 pm
Was thinking the same thing.  A Northern version of Dale.

THIS SUCKS!!!

Quote from: Notshavin on December 04, 2012, 08:42:43 pm
He reminds me of Houston Nutt.

Welcome back, mediocrity!

Quote from: Notshavin on December 08, 2012, 08:47:18 pm
Let me get this straight:  You are calling me an idiot because I think Jeff Long made a "horrible" hire, and because my opinion is that his style of football won't win here.

Also, you hope that this board will now ban posters who don't think like you and like they do.

Unbelievable.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on May 04, 2014, 05:50:17 pm
Agenda

Yeah, I got pretty emotional when the (**EDIT)hire was announced, like a lot of fans did, but I've come around and I'm willing to give BB 2-3 more years.  I started this poll to see how opinions may change during the season.

Civil discussion can cause people's opinions to change if they are flexible.

Your "agenda" is obviously to follow me around.  Doesn't bother me a bit.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Notshavin on May 04, 2014, 05:53:37 pm

Yeah, I got pretty emotional during those loses like a lot of fans did, but I've come around and I'm willing to give BB 2-3 more years.  I started this poll to see how opinions may change during the season.

Civil discussion can cause people's opinions to change if they are flexible.

Your "agenda" is obviously to follow me around.  Doesn't bother me a bit.

Which losses did we have in December?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on May 04, 2014, 05:54:37 pm
Which losses did we have in December?

My bad, that was when he was hired.  I didn't look at the year right - you dug that up from so far back it threw me off. 

It was my initial reaction to the hire, but like I said, I've changed my mind since then.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 04, 2014, 05:35:12 pm
Based 100% on gut reaction, I think you are correct that CBB wanted a change and facilitated a positive process that allowed some assistants to find new coaching positions minus any drama and negativity. The end result of the changes on the defensive side of the ball did not strike me as a negative process.
I think CBB realized we needed a defensive re-direction, for success in the SEC. The defense seems a little more cohesive/intense than last year. Better tackling.

" GO HOGS "

Edit : Yes, I think CBB will be very successful here, for an extended tenure, and I am 100% a Razorback Fan.
+1. Fine-tuning his defensive staff.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Notshavin on May 04, 2014, 05:09:27 pm
The "maybe" would be maybe BB will work out, as in slightly more positive than negative. 

Needs more time, meaning he needs more time for you to make up your mind whether No, probably not, maybe or Yes.

No means fire him now.

Again, choose the BEST answer that BEST describes your perspective.

Why in the world are you explaining this to a bunch of 4th graders......Cmon dude...you are above this level......

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Tom Bennett on May 04, 2014, 05:26:10 pm

Very clever Wilson but you know it is more complicated than that. There are people who arent happy with the current situation who support the Razorbacks to the bone.

Dont draw the line in the sand...you either follow or you arent with us. I believe Bret deserves two more years to turn it around, even tho I am unhappy with the progress I have witnessed so far. If in two more years, we havent improved from our current situation, there shouldnt be another year. And you will be saying it also.......so while a clever trick with the word play, it is misguided.

PRJ

Hollywood_HOGan45

We were handcuffed by a depleted roster but some of his in game decisions reminded me of nutt. One HUGE difference I see so far is bb's ability to get some absolute studs for the trenches.

We may never win the sec but we are going to MASH some teams up front in the coming years.

Magic_Hogg

I believe it is too early to tell.  I am not expecting a great, decent or even respectable season.  It will be another tough, tough year to be a Hog.   Hopefully, at some point while he is here, he will turn things around.

We had better hope that because it will take a mountain of $$ to get rid of him, and I just hats paying someone to go away.  That is money just thrown away - would be better spent putting in a Water Park on campus for the students or something.

Quickdraw

When they hired him I was surprised. I live in Kansas and I've seen a lot of Wisconsin football and Beliema always had a tough team. I like BB, he is one of those guys who grows on you. What I seen last year was a guy who was brutally honest and is working his butt off trying to make Arkansas one of the most feared and toughest teams to beat! He reminds me of Danny Fords teams but with better talent.

rude1

I was concerned when he was hired and thus far he has only managed to reinforce my concerns. I hope this season he shows more.

WilsonHog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on May 04, 2014, 06:23:05 pm
Very clever Wilson but you know it is more complicated than that. There are people who arent happy with the current situation who support the Razorbacks to the bone.

Dont draw the line in the sand...you either follow or you arent with us. I believe Bret deserves two more years to turn it around, even tho I am unhappy with the progress I have witnessed so far. If in two more years, we havent improved from our current situation, there shouldnt be another year. And you will be saying it also.......so while a clever trick with the word play, it is misguided.

PRJ

Let me reference the poll and see if I can wrap my position up in one post.

I believe Bret Bielema has proven he is a good football coach.

I believe last year was certainly on his shoulders, because he was our football coach.

I believe he should get at least two more years before he feels any pressure from our athletic director (and when he leaves, I'll make the same statement about his successor).

Do I have concerns? Sure I do, and I'd be glad to share them if we were having a one-on-one conversation. Why would I want to put those concerns out here on a open, public forum for anyone and everyone to read, including players, coaches, and their families? Nope, not happening.

OldCoot

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 04, 2014, 09:29:51 am
You are correct.
After inheriting a dumpster fire I'm giving him a mulligan for '13. He gets one (1) career mulligan from me.
Compared to what he started with we need to show improvement in recruiting, coaching, and player development. Shaking up the D coaching staff looks good so far.
Consistently showing the attitude that he displayed in the Paul Finebaum interview would be a +.
I do believe he is talented, arrogant, cocky and egotistical (add hubris also) enough to succeed here and he is still learning what it is to be an SEC coach.
I think he will figure it out and give us a winning percentage that exceeds what we have achieved so far in the SEC.
= to HDN and we start over...

Edit : The manner we showed up and played in Death Valley '13, indicates that the players are still buying in and haven't let go of the rope. I spoke with one of our better players maternal grandfather, at the 2nd open scrimmage, and he said his grandson has bought in, 100%, along with the entire team. Just having the players buy in, after '13, is what we have to have heading into '14.

" GO HOGS "

This is pretty good.  He's had his mulligan.  Bert should stop running his mouth and win.  I'm just afraid Long won't pull the trigger after 4 years of sub-par seasons.  BUT, he should be given at least 3 years to show us.

bythelake

Hawgboy64

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 04, 2014, 03:31:55 pm
So, he's a poor hire and a bad fit, yet you are mad we didn't hire someone with an identical philosophy?

Makes sense.  ???
You are mistaking Coaching ability with philosophy.
I don't believe that Bret Bielemais anything more than a average coach.
Jimmy Johnson is a great coach.
I would rather go with great than average.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Tom Bennett on May 04, 2014, 05:26:10 pm

Correct.

Simple enough, for even the most obtuse... maybe...maybe not.

" GO HOGS "

This thread asked me what I thought and then offered me a few selections of which I chose the one closest to my thoughts, #2.  Then I offered a post about my feelings.

Of course, that got Locusbug heated up ad he felt he needed to insult me in the good ole Hogville way.  The thread never asked me what I would do with or about BB, though several posts have offered what they would do.  Well, I would have never hired the Guy, but he is here now and I believe he needs an opportunity to try what he believes in even if I don't believe in it.  I am not the coach.  There is no rule that I must be happy with the hire.  This team was given to BB to mold as he sees fit.  If he eventually finds a way to win here to a point of making the Administration happy, then I guess he'll stay until he chooses to leave. 

I just want to win.  I don't care if we run 65 QB sneaks a game if we win.  I don't care if the QB cannot throw or run a lick if we win.  I don't care if the coaching decisions make Nutts decisions look brilliant, just win.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 04, 2014, 04:16:21 pm

Simple, he had confidence in Ash given that he had worked with him at Wisconsin. I'm sure he felt that Ash could deliver at Arkansas, just as he did at Wisconsin and nothing that Ash had done at Wisconsin indicated anything but that Bielema's confidence was justified.

Just my opinion, but I think that Ash inherited a mature defensive program at Wisconsin and never had to scheme in such a way as to cover up deficiencies created by less mature talent. I don't know it to be a fact and again I am speculating, but I think Ash panicked and hoped that by playing "soft" he could employ a bend but don't break philosophy and try to limit big plays, thinking that the offense was going to be good enough to score enough points to win over half of their games. BA went down and that ended any potential of that theory being successful.

Ash did a poor job of adjusting and I wouldn't be surprised if Bielema wasn't happy with his effort as the DC. Maybe that is why he was "encouraged" to take the "promotion" at Ohio State? JMO
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: 12247 on May 04, 2014, 07:30:58 pm

...I just want to win.  I don't care if we run 65 QB sneaks a game if we win.  I don't care if the QB cannot throw or run a lick if we win.  I don't care if the coaching decisions make Nutts decisions look brilliant, just win.

LOL. Spoken by a "Razorback Supporter."

Just win.

" GO HOGS "

Al Boarland

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on May 04, 2014, 06:09:34 pm
+1. Fine-tuning his defensive staff.

More like he overhauled the defensive staff. I give him credit for realizing a change needed to be made, but he shouldn't have needed to in the first place. Doesn't really matter at this point. 

scootriteby

Quote from: 12247 on May 04, 2014, 07:30:58 pm
This thread asked me what I thought and then offered me a few selections of which I chose the one closest to my thoughts, #2.  Then I offered a post about my feelings.

Of course, that got Locusbug heated up ad he felt he needed to insult me in the good ole Hogville way.  The thread never asked me what I would do with or about BB, though several posts have offered what they would do.  Well, I would have never hired the Guy, but he is here now and I believe he needs an opportunity to try what he believes in even if I don't believe in it.  I am not the coach.  There is no rule that I must be happy with the hire.  This team was given to BB to mold as he sees fit.  If he eventually finds a way to win here to a point of making the Administration happy, then I guess he'll stay until he chooses to leave. 

I just want to win.  I don't care if we run 65 QB sneaks a game if we win.  I don't care if the QB cannot throw or run a lick if we win.  I don't care if the coaching decisions make Nutts decisions look brilliant, just win.

And so far, BB has not won! Hopefully, that changes this year. I really don't want to have to endure another season like last year. Just Win, Baby!

PonderinHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 04, 2014, 07:34:43 pm
Simple, he had confidence in Ash given that he had worked with him at Wisconsin. I'm sure he felt that Ash could deliver at Arkansas, just as he did at Wisconsin and nothing that Ash had done at Wisconsin indicated anything but that Bielema's confidence was justified.

Just my opinion, but I think that Ash inherited a mature defensive program at Wisconsin and never had to scheme in such a way as to cover up deficiencies created by less mature talent. I don't know it to be a fact and again I am speculating, but I think Ash panicked and hoped that by playing "soft" he could employ a bend but don't break philosophy and try to limit big plays, thinking that the offense was going to be good enough to score enough points to win over half of their games. BA went down and that ended any potential of that theory being successful.

Ash did a poor job of adjusting and I wouldn't be surprised if Bielema wasn't happy with his effort as the DC. Maybe that is why he was "encouraged" to take the "promotion" at Ohio State? JMO
One of my favorite quotes ever came from Joe Kines.  This may not be verbatim, but it's close enough for this forum. "This is the SEC, where they'll slit your throat and drink your blood."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 04, 2014, 08:18:25 pm
One of my favorite quotes ever came from Joe Kines.  This may not be verbatim, but it's close enough for this forum. "This is the SEC, where they'll slit your throat and drink your blood."

That's true Ponderin, the SEC ain't for the weak of heart.
Go Hogs Go!

PonderinHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 04, 2014, 08:28:24 pm
That's true Ponderin, the SEC ain't for the weak of heart.
What's the one about experience?  You get it right after you needed it?  I think this has a lot to do with most fans' displeasure with some of the things that CBB said last year, Musk.

LR54

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on May 04, 2014, 07:15:33 pm
You are mistaking Coaching ability with philosophy.
I don't believe that Bret Bielemais anything more than a average coach.
Jimmy Johnson is a great coach.
I would rather go with great than average.

Actually, JJ is a great example of not giving up too soon on a young coach.

His first 5 years at Ok. St. included 2 losing seasons with only 3 and 4 wins, coming in his 2nd and 4th years. The highlight of his time there was his last season, 8-4 with a bowl win over #20 Baylor.

Miami hired him in 1984 to take over their NC winning team. Miami fans response? "Jimmy who?" It didn't help when he went 8-5. With Miami ranked #1, he lost to #14 Mich. St. Ranked #4, he got drilled 38-3 by #15 Florida St.

Blowing a 31-0 lead against unranked Maryland, while Miami was ranked #6, had fans questioning his game management ability. It got worse when his defense let Doug Flutie get loose for a last second "Hail Mary" pass into the end zone for a BC win.

Going 0-3 in his first 3 bowl games had fans howling that JJ would never be able to win a "big" game. He rewarded those with more patience with a NC in his fourth year as HC.

Even the best have a few bumps along the way.

Hawgboy64

Bret's no JJ. Not even close.
JJ was playing against a stacked deck in the big 8.
Always below OU and Nebraska, the same type of situation as Arkansas.
When he left for Miami, he left OSU loaded with talent.
Pat Jones reaped the benefits.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

SquidBilly

Quote from: LZH on May 04, 2014, 01:06:08 pm
So would you see any point having a debate about his first year on the job if he had gone 9-3 instead of 3-9?

I wish I had a dollar for every excuse I've read on here.

I'm not making any excuses but I guarantee you that when Long hired him he did so knowing the first two years could be rough.  I want to see improvement this year but will not get worked up about our record until year 3.  By then he will have enough recruiting classes to be able to have the two deep be all players recruited for his style.  That's what I meant with my analogy.