Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB is Nutt 2.0 vs. BB will bring success here, and those somewhere in the middle

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, May 04, 2014, 12:18:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think?

BB is Nutt 2.0
BB is responsible, at least in part for the losses and the way we played last season
It's too early to tell - he needs at least 2 more seasons
BB is one of the best coaches in America, last season was not his fault and he will bring great success back to the program.
BB has us going in the right direction, hopefully we can get there

LZH

Quote from: Bret Squealema on May 04, 2014, 08:49:40 pm
I'm not making any excuses but I guarantee you that when Long hired him he did so knowing the first two years could be rough.  I want to see improvement this year but will not get worked up about our record until year 3.  By then he will have enough recruiting classes to be able to have the two deep be all players recruited for his style.  That's what I meant with my analogy.

I think Long had in his mind that he wanted a young, experienced, defensive-minded, proven head coach with the energy and charisma to recruit better talent to Fayetteville.  Whether or not he offered the job to some guys who turned him down or not, BB did fit that description.

You were honest in your response and I respect that.  But it's no secret that there are plenty of guys who cry foul when someone like me doesn't fall in line with the Nutt hugger-like faction around here.  Yeah, I know it's only his second year....we all know that.  However, that doesn't mean he gets a free pass every time something comes up.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: LZH on May 04, 2014, 09:03:31 pm
I think Long had in his mind that he wanted a young, experienced, defensive-minded, proven head coach with the energy and charisma to recruit better talent to Fayetteville.  Whether or not he offered the job to some guys who turned him down or not, BB did fit that description.

You were honest in your response and I respect that.  But it's no secret that there are plenty of guys who cry foul when someone like me doesn't fall in line with the Nutt hugger-like faction around here.  Yeah, I know it's only his second year....we all know that.  However, that doesn't mean he gets a free pass every time something comes up.

Right on.  And the poll is anonymous.  I don't think anyone has written anything in this thread that would deeply offend players or coaches.  I promise you BB is extremely thick-skinned, he knows it comes with the job.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 04, 2014, 08:37:37 pm
What's the one about experience?  You get it right after you needed it?  I think this has a lot to do with most fans' displeasure with some of the things that CBB said last year, Musk.

Oh, I think that everyone is on Bielema like white on rice because he came from a successful background as a HC and then he thought he was going to roll into the SEC and have the same level of success pretty quickly. I think he has not only been humbled in this first year, but it has grounded him in regard to what is needed to be successful here and in the SEC. This isn't a cake-walk and it requires a lot of every HC and staff. I honestly think that he thought that if Saban could do it, he could do it, coming from a similar background. That story is yet to be told.

But everything that could go wrong seemed to go wrong last year. The DC he trusted didn't produce as expected. His starting QB goes down unexpectedly and unpredictably on a play that should not have normally produced that kind of injury, one of his best and most reliable WR's goes down before the season, and the entire season as planned on offense, goes to heck in a handbag. In the absence of a strong defense, it made the offensive output as a whole, look even worse.

I think that last year, as tough as it was to take for all of us fans and the team, was probably the best thing that could have possibly happened to Bielema. It was essentially, an epiphany.

Bielema and staff are recruiting their arses off and that is a good sign. I've not seen so many highly ranked recruits have sincere interest in Arkansas as we are seeing now. And, I haven't seen any staff recruit this well in many years. This gives me great hope.

We will see where we are in another couple of years. I think that we will continue to improve, though I know that there are many naysayers. I think, and I hope, that Bielema will prove the naysayers to be wrong.
Go Hogs Go!

Wants2Win

Have to have wins to get the recruits and the wins are not coming anytime soon.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 04, 2014, 10:15:51 pm
Oh, I think that everyone is on Bielema like white on rice because he came from a successful background as a HC and then he thought he was going to roll into the SEC and have the same level of success pretty quickly. I think he has not only been humbled in this first year, but it has grounded him in regard to what is needed to be successful here and in the SEC. This isn't a cake-walk and it requires a lot of every HC and staff. I honestly think that he thought that if Saban could do it, he could do it, coming from a similar background. That story is yet to be told.

But everything that could go wrong seemed to go wrong last year. The DC he trusted didn't produce as expected. His starting QB goes down unexpectedly and unpredictably on a play that should not have normally produced that kind of injury, one of his best and most reliable WR's goes down before the season, and the entire season as planned on offense, goes to heck in a handbag. In the absence of a strong defense, it made the offensive output as a whole, look even worse.

I think that last year, as tough as it was to take for all of us fans and the team, was probably the best thing that could have possibly happened to Bielema. It was essentially, an epiphany.

Bielema and staff are recruiting their arses off and that is a good sign. I've not seen so many highly ranked recruits have sincere interest in Arkansas as we are seeing now. And, I haven't seen any staff recruit this well in many years. This gives me great hope.

We will see where we are in another couple of years. I think that we will continue to improve, though I know that there are many naysayers. I think, and I hope, that Bielema will prove the naysayers to be wrong.

I agree.  The staff is recruiting too well to continue to flop on the field.  In addition to the things you mentioned preseason, we also had some really unusual things happen to us late in games that caused us to lose three games when we outplayed the opponent.

I like the fact that CBB didn't waste any time taking action to try to remedy the biggest deficiencies from last year.  It's early, but I like to make predictions so I think Robb Smith is going to be a big upgrade to Ash and hopefully Jennings and Segrest will gel better with Smith.

We do need to start seeing improvement in our on the field results this year in order to improve our recruiting momentum.

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

870hogfan

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 04, 2014, 10:36:27 pm

Glad you could read the future?

We will never change last year.  John L. Smith will never change 2012.  John will own that and be blamed for the gross failures forever.  BB will own last season and will be held accountable for the 3-9 record forever.  One conference win would have taken a big load off last year.  Hardly anyone expected much but many believe we got even less than we bargained for.  Everyone has an excuse, that's human nature.  Had BB pulled out 2 of the games it seemed like he could have with smart decision making, then Hogville would be mostly singing his praises.  5-7 would have been a great year for us last year.  Unfortunately, the flip side is that when the man had an opportunity to fail, he did.  But it was year one.  I hope year 2 shows great improvement and when the time comes to win or lose a very close contest, maybe we'll win.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Wants2Win on May 04, 2014, 10:36:27 pm

funny how that didn't work so well for Petrino
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

LZH

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on May 05, 2014, 05:11:27 am
funny how that didn't work so well for Petrino

Petrino was quite happy with the talent he recruited.

Oh, you meant football players.

Chief Mac

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

DeltaBoy

It will all come out in the WASH ! Brent got a dumpster fire. We had a wasted year with Smile and He needs 2 more years to get the Train back on track.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jgphillips3

I'm in the, "it's too early to say but concerned" category.  We'll know everything we need to know in 2016.  If he isn't getting us competitive with the elites by then, it ain't gonna happen other than a quirky year every so often ala Nutt.  In the meantime, I'll hope for the best.  Seeing steady improvement from game one to game 12 this year would go a long way for me.

bphi11ips

Put me down for this - "BB has us going in the right direction, and I think he will get us there."

I will consider us to be "there" when we are performing at our potential in the SEC for a sustained period.  I consider the Razorbacks' to have the potential to compete with the best teams in the SEC on a regular basis, but I don't believe we have the potential to surpass Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia or Tennessee on a regular basis.   I expect us to be just about even with Auburn year-in-and-year-out and better than A&M, South Carolina, Missouri, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and Kentucky, in that order, over time.  I expect every team we play to circle the date with Arkansas as one where they better bring their A-game if they expect a shot at a victory.  And I expect them to need a 55 gallon drum of Ben Gay when it's over. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

WilsonHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 05, 2014, 10:51:54 am
Put me down for this - "BB has us going in the right direction, and I think he will get us there."

I will consider us to be "there" when we are performing at our potential in the SEC for a sustained period.  I consider the Razorbacks' to have the potential to compete with the best teams in the SEC on a regular basis, but I don't believe we have the potential to surpass Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia or Tennessee on a regular basis.   I expect us to be just about even with Auburn year-in-and-year-out and better than A&M, South Carolina, Missouri, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and Kentucky, in that order, over time.  I expect every team we play to circle the date with Arkansas as one where they better bring their A-game if they expect a shot at a victory.  And I expect them to need a 55 gallon drum of Ben Gay when it's over.

Agreed. I see us as the 6th or 7th best program in the SEC - yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

hoglady

I have know idea where Coach B's taking us.
Some of you are firmly set that we are going in the right direction - gotta see production on the field for me to feel that way.
Some are completely sure of his failure - I'm not there yet either.
For me - this year will be a much better indicator of which way we're headed.
Beliema is partly responsible for blowing a few of the winnable games last year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: 12247 on May 05, 2014, 05:09:28 am
We will never change last year.  John L. Smith will never change 2012.  John will own that and be blamed for the gross failures forever.  BB will own last season and will be held accountable for the 3-9 record forever.  One conference win would have taken a big load off last year.  Hardly anyone expected much but many believe we got even less than we bargained for.  Everyone has an excuse, that's human nature.  Had BB pulled out 2 of the games it seemed like he could have with smart decision making, then Hogville would be mostly singing his praises.  5-7 would have been a great year for us last year.  Unfortunately, the flip side is that when the man had an opportunity to fail, he did.  But it was year one.  I hope year 2 shows great improvement and when the time comes to win or lose a very close contest, maybe we'll win.

I'm with you.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

LZH

Quote from: hoglady on May 05, 2014, 01:01:38 pm
Beliema is partly responsible for blowing a few of the winnable games last year.

Just curious, if he wasn't responsible then who was?

bigbadhog

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on May 04, 2014, 02:25:13 pm
He's the Head Hog football coach, so I will support him.
With that said, I think he was a poor hire and a bad fit at Arkansas.
Of course, I'm still mad Frank didn't hire Jimmy Johnson.

You are not the only one.  The road forked in 1984 and the direction FB took us derailed our program for 23 years.  23 years to recover...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

WilsonHog

Quote from: LZH on May 05, 2014, 01:11:25 pm
Just curious, if he wasn't responsible then who was?

The coach always takes the heat, but players tend to have some responsibility as well.

bigbadhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 04, 2014, 07:34:43 pm
Simple, he had confidence in Ash given that he had worked with him at Wisconsin. I'm sure he felt that Ash could deliver at Arkansas, just as he did at Wisconsin and nothing that Ash had done at Wisconsin indicated anything but that Bielema's confidence was justified.

Just my opinion, but I think that Ash inherited a mature defensive program at Wisconsin and never had to scheme in such a way as to cover up deficiencies created by less mature talent. I don't know it to be a fact and again I am speculating, but I think Ash panicked and hoped that by playing "soft" he could employ a bend but don't break philosophy and try to limit big plays, thinking that the offense was going to be good enough to score enough points to win over half of their games. BA went down and that ended any potential of that theory being successful.

Ash did a poor job of adjusting and I wouldn't be surprised if Bielema wasn't happy with his effort as the DC. Maybe that is why he was "encouraged" to take the "promotion" at Ohio State? JMO

The same arguments can be made as to why BB shouldn't have been hired.  He lacked the same challenges...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

LZH

Quote from: Tom Bennett on May 05, 2014, 01:47:40 pm
The coach always takes the heat, but players tend to have some responsibility as well.

Actually, I was waiting to see Petrino's name come up.

WilsonHog

Quote from: LZH on May 05, 2014, 01:51:44 pm
Actually, I was waiting to see Petrino's name come up.

I was thinking more of one or two specific plays that were the difference between 5-7 and 3-9.

LZH

Quote from: Tom Bennett on May 05, 2014, 01:56:59 pm
I was thinking more of one or two specific plays that were the difference between 5-7 and 3-9.

Everybody throws a fit about the fake punt and all that.  Nah, I was OK with that.  Hell, I never have a problem with a guy trying something different like that to win a game, or even just to get his kids some sort of momentum, etc. (within reason of course).

The one play all year that I still get irritated about is the 3rd & 6 against Ole Miss where we had done fairly well with our normal offense up til that point and then out trots Derby to run a mid-line option.  No gain.  Crap.  How obvious could we get?  You could see that coming from the time he left the sideline.  That was when I really started to question Chaney, because I can't think of one high school coach trying that and thinking it would work.

WilsonHog

Quote from: LZH on May 05, 2014, 02:24:32 pm
Everybody throws a fit about the fake punt and all that.  Nah, I was OK with that.  Hell, I never have a problem with a guy trying something different like that to win a game, or even just to get his kids some sort of momentum, etc. (within reason of course).

The one play all year that I still get irritated about is the 3rd & 6 against Ole Miss where we had done fairly well with our normal offense up til that point and then out trots Derby to run a mid-line option.  No gain.  Crap.  How obvious could we get?  You could see that coming from the time he left the sideline.  That was when I really started to question Chaney, because I can't think of one high school coach trying that and thinking it would work.

Two plays I'd like to have back: the fumble inside Mississippi State's 5-yard line and the last play against LSU.

3-9 vs. 5-7.

Is what it is.

LZH

Quote from: Tom Bennett on May 05, 2014, 02:27:07 pm
Two plays I'd like to have back: the fumble inside Mississippi State's 5-yard line and the last play against LSU.

3-9 vs. 5-7.

Is what it is.

Oh, if you meant defense, too, then we don't have the room nor the time.  I said right here this time last year that I thought we'd win seven games because we finally have a guy who knows and cares about defense.

Not.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: LZH on May 05, 2014, 02:24:32 pm

...The one play all year that I still get irritated about is the 3rd & 6 against Ole Miss where we had done fairly well with our normal offense up til that point and then out trots Derby to run a mid-line option.  No gain.  Crap.  How obvious could we get?  You could see that coming from the time he left the sideline.  That was when I really started to question Chaney, because I can't think of one high school coach trying that and thinking it would work.

Monday morning quarterbacking is easy and I'm going to be guilty of Cinco De Mayo quarterbacking.
Your above mentioned play made me wonder if BA was injured and when he returned I thought WTH.
When a red flag started flying with me, on offensive play sequencing, was on our first drive against Auburn : 3rd and 4 from Auburns 16 and the play call was a fade into the left corner of the end zone - now I'm not opposed to a fade into the corner of the end zone if it's on 1st or 2nd down but when every point is so valuable (and against GM we need all the points we can get) there must be several plays that will get us 4 yards that are much higher up the percentage for success ladder than a fade in the corner of the end zone (like trying to drop it into a bucket). Heck, if I had Brees or Rogers as the QB I would think a higher percentage play would be in order, and we had a wounded QB out on the field. Hocker did give us 3 points but 7 would have helped momentum.
Anyway, this is the 5th of May, 2014 and I hope our coaches are successful in 2014.

" GO HOGS "

LZH

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 05, 2014, 11:56:52 pm
Monday morning quarterbacking is easy and I'm going to be guilty of Cinco De Mayo quarterbacking.
Your above mentioned play made me wonder if BA was injured and when he returned I thought WTH.
When a red flag started flying with me, on offensive play sequencing, was on our first drive against Auburn : 3rd and 4 from Auburns 16 and the play call was a fade into the left corner of the end zone - now I'm not opposed to a fade into the corner of the end zone if it's on 1st or 2nd down but when every point is so valuable (and against GM we need all the points we can get) there must be several plays that will get us 4 yards that are much higher up the percentage for success ladder than a fade in the corner of the end zone (like trying to drop it into a bucket). Heck, if I had Brees or Rogers as the QB I would think a higher percentage play would be in order, and we had a wounded QB out on the field. Hocker did give us 3 points but 7 would have helped momentum.
Anyway, this is the 5th of May, 2014 and I hope our coaches are successful in 2014.

" GO HOGS "

I don't guess I remember that particular play, but we certainly didn't have a WR that could go up and get a fade in the EZ, or even a back-shoulder pass (if BA could have even made that throw in the first place).

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: LZH on May 06, 2014, 12:04:07 am
I don't guess I remember that particular play, but we certainly didn't have a WR that could go up and get a fade in the EZ, or even a back-shoulder pass (if BA could have even made that throw in the first place).

The play did not bother me. The timing, on 3rd and 4 at Auburns 16 and it's our first drive, that bothered me. Having an injured QB trying to perform this play call is still a head scratcher.
I did think Coach Chaney called a nice game at LSU.
Here's hoping to 2014 success.

" GO HOGS "

LZH

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 06, 2014, 12:35:41 am
The play did not bother me. The timing, on 3rd and 4 at Auburns 16 and it's our first drive, that bothered me. Having an injured QB trying to perform this play call is still a head scratcher.
I did think Coach Chaney called a nice game at LSU.
Here's hoping to 2014 success.

" GO HOGS "

I watched the 2012 Alabama vs Tennessee game this afternoon.  There were quite a few plays that Chaney called in that game that made me go "hmmm".  I guess we all got spoiled by Petrino's ability to call the right play at the right time....very few can do that.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: LZH on May 06, 2014, 12:38:35 am
I watched the 2012 Alabama vs Tennessee game this afternoon.  There were quite a few plays that Chaney called in that game that made me go "hmmm".  I guess we all got spoiled by Petrino's ability to call the right play at the right time....very few can do that.
Some play checkers and some play chess. CBP was a world class chess player.
When it was 4th and 3 at LSU  33-34? yd. line in 2010 and CBP called Joes play for a TD he later described it as the LSU safeties liked to close hard in that situation and we had been working on that particular play since fall camp in the event it was needed. Joe did a little dance step, the safety bit, and RM handed the ball off, through the air, for a TD that helped punch our ticket to New Orleans. Yeah, he did spoil us... watching an artist at work.

Here's to 2014.

" GO HOGS "

LZH

Pork Twain

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 04, 2014, 09:20:57 am
You aren't "weird" at all. This is a rational take on the situation.

We were willing to give BP time to get his players on the field and as good as he was at strategic play-calling in any given down and distance, he was also just as good as a QB coach to coach the system that he embraced. More so on offense than on defense, but there isn't any doubt that he had a lot to do with the defensive scheme as well, which was never one that gave great emphasis to the defense, but helped them be just good enough that they helped accomplish and compliment what he wanted to accomplish on offense in terms of an overall gameplan.

Now comes Bielema who is 180 degrees out from BP in terms of offensive and defensive philosophy because he believes in a steady offense that not only grounds and pounds, but believes in passing as a part of the offense, but also believes that you win with a solid defense.

One year in and many are already willing to throw him under the bus because he isn't "entertaining" the fan base by throwing the ball all over the field and because he made a bad decision with regard to the DC (and the DC's philosophy) that he brought with him. Never mind that the only QB that we had injured his throwing shoulder early in the season. An excuse? No, a fact. If any other QB had stepped up and had shown a higher level of proficiency than Derby, they would have been inserted. But that was obviously not the case by evidence of their performance so far throughout the spring.

The time to begin to judge what Bielema brings to the table is this fall and the fall of 2015. If we don't see bigger improvement this fall and next, I'll agree that this might have been a bad hire. But with a diametric change in both offensive and defensive philosopy and the players needed to successfully execute that change, I think that the man deserves at least three years to turn things around.

Well said as usual
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Bret Squealema on May 04, 2014, 08:49:40 pm
I'm not making any excuses but I guarantee you that when Long hired him he did so knowing the first two years could be rough.  I want to see improvement this year but will not get worked up about our record until year 3.  By then he will have enough recruiting classes to be able to have the two deep be all players recruited for his style.  That's what I meant with my analogy.

I have no doubt that's the case.  Again, even if some fans despise BB as a person and don't think he will succeed here, they better HOPE that he does.  It's for the betterment of the program.  We cannot afford for a coach with his pedigree to come in and fail in three years, and move on.  That will hamstring us. 

Your post basically says that we'll have kids on the two deep at every position to play his style.  While that's true, at best, they will be Jr.'s, and if you're discounting that first class due to the time crunch and lack of a full length process, then even younger. 

We've been discussing the 2015 class and how well it is shaping up for months now.  Those kids will arrive on campus starting BB's third season, as true Fr. 

What we NEED is to see improvement, and for that 2015 class to stay together, and to be added to.  We need to win at least 7 games in year three. 

This system by default will take a little longer than one that is predicated on having a few skill players with a supporting cast.  His system is built around being dominant up front, and then having some supporting skill players.  From that perspective, it may take a year or two more to see the level of success that BP had. 

I know, I know...here come the "Yep, let's just let him coach here indefinitely and pile up the excuses along the way," crowd.  I'm not saying that.  I'm saying that if he's improving EVERY season, and recruiting is on track, then I'm fine with more than 3 years. 

But...we'll have some who will insist on 10 wins like BP had in year three.  If fans are being honest about that, yes...we were very good in 2010, but if you took Ryan Mallett off that team, do we win 10 games?  I doubt it.  So...there's always a little luck in there, and as fans we NEED for BB to succeed. 

Also...with no "frito pie" option in the poll, I refuse to accept its viability.     :P
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Jek Tono Porkins

Really, dude? You're bitching about playcalling against Alabama? Why don't you go look at the 2011 Arkansas/Bama game and see if there are any plays that make you go "hmmm."

Playcalling is overrated. Execution is far more important.

For example, let's say that a coach calls a WR screen on a 1st & 10. Assume that the play gets executed to perfection and the offense gets a 40 yard gain. One might say, "Wow! They weren't expecting that! What a great playcall!"

But if a WR misses a block and the play gets blown up for a 5 yard loss, one might say, "Seriously?! Now it's second and long! What a terrible playcall!" even though it's the exact same situation.

If you execute, every play is a good call. If not, it's a bad call.

This isn't xbox. Coaches aren't masters of the universe. They don't run through their entire playbooks in their head and pick a play in 10 seconds. They have a big ass laminated sheet in front of their face that determines what play will be called depending on the down and distance situation.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Hawgzinbowlz

http://footballschemechalktalk.blogspot.com/2008/09/situational-playcalling-offense-using.html

If some of these situational calls are wrong then it's "hmmm". LOL

Some good stuff on here today, LZH.

" GO HOGS "

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 04, 2014, 07:34:43 pm
Simple, he had confidence in Ash given that he had worked with him at Wisconsin. I'm sure he felt that Ash could deliver at Arkansas, just as he did at Wisconsin and nothing that Ash had done at Wisconsin indicated anything but that Bielema's confidence was justified.

Just my opinion, but I think that Ash inherited a mature defensive program at Wisconsin and never had to scheme in such a way as to cover up deficiencies created by less mature talent. I don't know it to be a fact and again I am speculating, but I think Ash panicked and hoped that by playing "soft" he could employ a bend but don't break philosophy and try to limit big plays, thinking that the offense was going to be good enough to score enough points to win over half of their games. BA went down and that ended any potential of that theory being successful.

Ash did a poor job of adjusting and I wouldn't be surprised if Bielema wasn't happy with his effort as the DC. Maybe that is why he was "encouraged" to take the "promotion" at Ohio State? JMO
The same things you just said about Ash as a DC can be said about CBB as a head coach.

WayneHawg

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on May 06, 2014, 02:47:27 pm
The same things you just said about Ash as a DC can be said about CBB as a head coach.

Difference being, one outcome has already been written, the other remains to be seen. There will be plenty of time to pile on when and if that time comes, but that time is not now.
Go Hogs Go!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: ReddieHawg on May 06, 2014, 02:09:51 pm
Really, dude? You're bitching about playcalling against Alabama? Why don't you go look at the 2011 Arkansas/Bama game and see if there are any plays that make you go "hmmm."

Playcalling is overrated. Execution is far more important.

For example, let's say that a coach calls a WR screen on a 1st & 10. Assume that the play gets executed to perfection and the offense gets a 40 yard gain. One might say, "Wow! They weren't expecting that! What a great playcall!"

But if a WR misses a block and the play gets blown up for a 5 yard loss, one might say, "Seriously?! Now it's second and long! What a terrible playcall!" even though it's the exact same situation.

If you execute, every play is a good call. If not, it's a bad call.

This isn't xbox. Coaches aren't masters of the universe. They don't run through their entire playbooks in their head and pick a play in 10 seconds. They have a big ass laminated sheet in front of their face that determines what play will be called depending on the down and distance situation.
Dayum.

That is one of the best posts EVER on Hogville.

+1 everytime I can.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Peter Porker

Right play...right time...never lost...oh wait. There were several games in which our offense didn't look stellar under booby.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

bpoecell

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 05, 2014, 02:27:07 pm

3-9 vs. 5-7.

Is what it is.

Throw in the punt return, 4th and long TD, and two dropped 4th quarter interceptions against Rutgers. If any of those go our way, there's a good chance they run out of time and we hang on to win.

3-9 vs. 6-6.

Pork Twain

Yup and his love for the pass never cost us a game like say the 2010 Bama game.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hog911

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 04, 2014, 08:47:14 am
Per usual, the poll responses are flawed.  Particularly #4.  He IS one of the best coaches in America, but part of last year was his fault.  He would say the same  thing. 

And that is why he will succeed here.  Because, unlike many obnoxiously vocal Hogvillians, he understands what the problems really are and is working diligently to fix them.

Understanding the problem doesn't automatically mean solving the problem. He has no real connections to the state of Arkansas and to be quite honest we don't produce near enough division 1 level talent. So he has to rely on going into more fertile recruiting grounds to compete for the type of players who Alabama, LSU, Florida, etc. have a strong hold on. With less than 4 & 5 star O and D linemen or at least a ton diamonds in the rough players don't expect his stile of football to win more than 1 out of every 10 years against these types of teams. We are currently the door mat of the SEC and unless we get those types of game changer players and more of a up tempo stile of Offense BP had here don't expect much more than 4-8 to 5-7 normally and 7-5 on a good year. We have lowered the bar so much here, that's probably acceptable!

Peter Porker

Quote from: hog911 on May 07, 2014, 08:51:59 am
Understanding the problem doesn't automatically mean solving the problem. He has no real connections to the state of Arkansas and to be quite honest we don't produce near enough division 1 level talent. So he has to rely on going into more fertile recruiting grounds to compete for the type of players who Alabama, LSU, Florida, etc. have a strong hold on. With less than 4 & 5 star O and D linemen or at least a ton diamonds in the rough players don't expect his stile of football to win more than 1 out of every 10 years against these types of teams. We are currently the door mat of the SEC and unless we get those types of game changer players and more of a up tempo stile of Offense BP had here don't expect much more than 4-8 to 5-7 normally and 7-5 on a good year. We have lowered the bar so much here, that's probably acceptable!

1. I'm usually not a grammar nazi, but it's style, not stile.
2. What was booby's record vs bama? 0-for-4. His style didn't have any success versus Bama.
3. You want to run uptempo like teams (Auburn, A&M) that recruit better than us. Using your logic we won't beat them either since they traditionally recruit better than us.
4. We are beginning to beat the powerhouses for recruits. That's something booby seem to never do.
5. Like many booby lovers, you're wrong again.

P.S. the loyalty our fans show a man that thought he was bigger than the program (and took a huge dump on it) is mind boggling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Notshavin on May 04, 2014, 12:18:14 am
Thoughts?

And please no personal insults of any kind toward the student-athletes or Hogvillians

Keep it civil.

Weird poll and thread.  If you were going to invoke Nutt's name and suggest a comparison, you should have stated how the two could compare. 

Did Bielema take over a team ready to win? No
Was he hired because of who he is in relation to Arkansas, who his daddy was and knew and was hired based on emotion?  No
Was Bielema hired with very little head coaching experience and success? No
Has Bielema shown signs of being selfish and petty off the field and with little desire to make changes in his staff except the occasional scapegoat outside of inner circle of yes men? No
Is it because of the style of offense? Finally you maybe could have a reach if someone wanted to spin up an argument

Bad thread that does nothing to invite good discussion.

If you want to compare a situation that could be remotely close to Nutt, look to Anderson and the basketball program.  I know that won't happen. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Peter Porker

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 07, 2014, 10:14:00 am
Weird poll and thread.  If you were going to invoke Nutt's name and suggest a comparison, you should have stated how the two could compare. 

Did Bielema take over a team ready to win? No
Was he hired because of who he is in relation to Arkansas, who his daddy was and knew and was hired based on emotion?  No
Was Bielema hired with very little head coaching experience and success? No
Has Bielema shown signs of being selfish and petty off the field and with little desire to make changes in his staff except the occasional scapegoat outside of inner circle of yes men? No
Is it because of the style of offense? Finally you maybe could have a reach if someone wanted to spin up an argument

Bad thread that does nothing to invite good discussion.

If you want to compare a situation that could be remotely close to Nutt, look to Anderson and the basketball program.  I know that won't happen.

Oh snap!