Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB is Nutt 2.0 vs. BB will bring success here, and those somewhere in the middle

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, May 04, 2014, 12:18:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think?

BB is Nutt 2.0
BB is responsible, at least in part for the losses and the way we played last season
It's too early to tell - he needs at least 2 more seasons
BB is one of the best coaches in America, last season was not his fault and he will bring great success back to the program.
BB has us going in the right direction, hopefully we can get there

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Thoughts?

And please no personal insults of any kind toward the student-athletes or Hogvillians

Keep it civil.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

rzrbackramsfan

I said he needs 2 more, but there needs to be improvement every year.

Tick Hog

I'm still not sure what to really think about BB. I find myself wondering which parts of the actual game planning- coaching he has his hand in. I believe that he's a good players coach and will bring unity to our football team. I feel to play the style of football that he wants we are going to have to be built on defense so will have to start getting some studs on that side of the ball.

Jek Tono Porkins

I think he needs three years to install hi system before I pass judgement on his worth as a coach. Until then, he had success at Wisconsin and is currently the head hog, so I will support him until he gives me a reason not to. But I'm weird.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Arazorbackguy1

IMO, he makes a lot of excuses that don't come across as excuses.  He takes a lot of blame and says all the right things, but at the end of the day, they are excuses.

We will know more about his true identity, as a coach, after this year.  If we go 0-8 in conference, then look for the seat to be so freakin' hot it makes Dave's insanity sauce feel like ice cream.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Notshavin on May 04, 2014, 12:18:14 am
Thoughts?

And please no personal insults of any kind toward the student-athletes or Hogvillians

Keep it civil.

We already know what you think,  but somehow that thread mysteriously vanished...
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

3kgthog

We have already seen how player's coaches with poor game management skills work out here.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on May 04, 2014, 12:57:44 am
IMO, he makes a lot of excuses that don't come across as excuses.  He takes a lot of blame and says all the right things, but at the end of the day, they are excuses.

We will know more about his true identity, as a coach, after this year.  If we go 0-8 in conference, then look for the seat to be so freakin' hot it makes Dave's insanity sauce feel like ice cream.

What excuses are you speaking of? I am asking as some on here get the word excuses and reasons mixed up. Care to elaborate on the excuses you are thinking of?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

secfan30

Porkahontas

He's been here one year and inherited a steaming dumpster fire.

Keep in mind, both Saban at Alabama and Petrino at Arkansas struggled their first years also and neither walked into the cluster Bielema came into.

Give him a couple more years, we already saw a little bit of turnover on the staff that should help us and the kids now have had a season and two spring practices to get used to the system. We'll be improved this year, still may not make a bowl because of the strength of schedule, but will have a huge recruiting class coming in for 2015 that will help us get to where we wanna go.

All we gotta do the next 16 months or so is keep the knee jerk faction of our crowd from embarrassing us and costing us recruits in the process. The whole sit down, shut up, and hold on approach is something some need to take with this.

chitwnhog

Quote from: ReddieHawg on May 04, 2014, 12:55:34 am
I think he needs three years to install hi system before I pass judgement on his worth as a coach. Until then, he had success at Wisconsin and is currently the head hog, so I will support him until he gives me a reason not to. But I'm weird.

Yeah...I'm weird too.

Deep Shoat

And by "wierd" you mean reasonable...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Per usual, the poll responses are flawed.  Particularly #4.  He IS one of the best coaches in America, but part of last year was his fault.  He would say the same  thing. 

And that is why he will succeed here.  Because, unlike many obnoxiously vocal Hogvillians, he understands what the problems really are and is working diligently to fix them.
All Gas, No Brakes!

I readily admit he found a poor team overall his first year here.  What that doesn't account for with me is the mouth running, the sort of standing aside on game day as if the players ran through a shower of poop on the way to the field and it really stinks, the coordinator(s) up in the booth at least some of the time and lessors dealing with the players, is he too busy standing aside to closely direct the team if he wants the coordinator(s) up in the box?, the game management decisions, not really having a 2nd QB, especially with the starter a first year man experience wise, not appearing to have a 1st or 2nd team QB for this upcoming season, Brandon should have cut up our 2s & 3s like a knife through very soft butter, So, at the end of the day, I really don't expect BB to earn his salary.  Add to that, BB wants to operate a power offensive scheme against a group of teams that practice, preach, coach and recruit to stop that scheme all day long, all season long, now and forever.

Its like lets recruit our best but not as well as the upper crust in the conference, then lets piss some of the conference members off mouthing, then lets fail to get the most out of what we got by not having a truly good QB and making bad decisions on game day, then lets operate a scheme that most of the conference plans for most of the season.  It appears to me a very long road with that route seemingly in place, produced and directed.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: 12247 on May 04, 2014, 08:56:29 am
I readily admit he found a poor team overall his first year here.  What that doesn't account for with me is the mouth running, the sort of standing aside on game day as if the players ran through a shower of poop on the way to the field and it really stinks, the coordinator(s) up in the booth at least some of the time and lessors dealing with the players, is he too busy standing aside to closely direct the team if he wants the coordinator(s) up in the box?, the game management decisions, not really having a 2nd QB, especially with the starter a first year man experience wise, not appearing to have a 1st or 2nd team QB for this upcoming season, Brandon should have cut up our 2s & 3s like a knife through very soft butter, So, at the end of the day, I really don't expect BB to earn his salary.  Add to that, BB wants to operate a power offensive scheme against a group of teams that practice, preach, coach and recruit to stop that scheme all day long, all season long, now and forever.

Its like lets recruit our best but not as well as the upper crust in the conference, then lets piss some of the conference members off mouthing, then lets fail to get the most out of what we got by not having a truly good QB and making bad decisions on game day, then lets operate a scheme that most of the conference plans for most of the season.  It appears to me a very long road with that route seemingly in place, produced and directed.

Are you scared of competition? Are you scared to try and truly recruit the best players? Which of our former coaches went after the best? And I guess you prefer to sneak up on a conference foe and not face them head on - regardless if they are pissed?

And I guess you prefer a wall flower as head coach?

For me I am proud to be from Arkansas and will never take the poor little ole Arkansas attitude. Do you see Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, SCe, etc... sitting in a corner saying We better not make them angry!

Good grief.  :puke:
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

tophawg19

the answer lies in several of those choices . bits and pieces of each one .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

You aren't "weird" at all. This is a rational take on the situation.

We were willing to give BP time to get his players on the field and as good as he was at strategic play-calling in any given down and distance, he was also just as good as a QB coach to coach the system that he embraced. More so on offense than on defense, but there isn't any doubt that he had a lot to do with the defensive scheme as well, which was never one that gave great emphasis to the defense, but helped them be just good enough that they helped accomplish and compliment what he wanted to accomplish on offense in terms of an overall gameplan.

Now comes Bielema who is 180 degrees out from BP in terms of offensive and defensive philosophy because he believes in a steady offense that not only grounds and pounds, but believes in passing as a part of the offense, but also believes that you win with a solid defense.

One year in and many are already willing to throw him under the bus because he isn't "entertaining" the fan base by throwing the ball all over the field and because he made a bad decision with regard to the DC (and the DC's philosophy) that he brought with him. Never mind that the only QB that we had injured his throwing shoulder early in the season. An excuse? No, a fact. If any other QB had stepped up and had shown a higher level of proficiency than Derby, they would have been inserted. But that was obviously not the case by evidence of their performance so far throughout the spring.

The time to begin to judge what Bielema brings to the table is this fall and the fall of 2015. If we don't see bigger improvement this fall and next, I'll agree that this might have been a bad hire. But with a diametric change in both offensive and defensive philosopy and the players needed to successfully execute that change, I think that the man deserves at least three years to turn things around.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 04, 2014, 09:06:53 am
You are correct.
After inheriting a dumpster fire I'm giving him a mulligan for '13. He gets one (1) career mulligan from me.
Compared to what he started with we need to show improvement in recruiting, coaching, and player development. Shaking up the D coaching staff looks good so far.
Consistently showing the attitude that he displayed in the Paul Finebaum interview would be a +.
I do believe he is talented, arrogant, cocky and egotistical (add hubris also) enough to succeed here and he is still learning what it is to be an SEC coach.
I think he will figure it out and give us a winning percentage that exceeds what we have achieved so far in the SEC.
= to HDN and we start over...

Edit : The manner we showed up and played in Death Valley '13, indicates that the players are still buying in and haven't let go of the rope. I spoke with one of our better players maternal grandfather, at the 2nd open scrimmage, and he said his grandson has bought in, 100%, along with the entire team. Just having the players buy in, after '13, is what we have to have heading into '14.

" GO HOGS "

hogsnott

.  Add to that, BB wants to operate a power offensive scheme against a group of teams that practice, preach, coach and recruit to stop that scheme all day long, all season long, now and forever.

lets operate a scheme that most of the conference plans for most of the season.  It appears to me a very long road with that route seemingly in place, produced and directed.
[/quote]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         seems to me much of the SEC has evolved to offenses that are more spread/ hurry up,,,,less power schemes, which could prove beneficial for us in the long run.  power and speed usually defeats finesse IMO

wupigsuey

I think he still needs a longer body of work to evaluate. I think he has us going in the right direction but I did question some play calls last season. Namely the timing of some fake punts. I'm still in wait and see mode. Cautiously optimistic you might say. Like another poster said, I'm behind him until he gives me a reason not to be. He hasn't yet.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

lefty08

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 04, 2014, 08:47:14 am
Per usual, the poll responses are flawed.  Particularly #4.  He IS one of the best coaches in America, but part of last year was his fault.  He would say the same  thing. 

And that is why he will succeed here.  Because, unlike many obnoxiously vocal Hogvillians, he understands what the problems really are and is working diligently to fix them.

plus eleventy-billion
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hawgzinbowlz

Just like most multiple choice questions, choose the BEST answer that most accurately represents your point of view.

Geez....no poll is going to be perfect.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

WilsonHog

My only thought is I can't imagine - short of publicly embarrassing the program with off-field behavior - isn't automatically given 3 years.

Quote from: Tom Bennett on May 04, 2014, 11:49:56 am
My only thought is I can't imagine - short of publicly embarrassing the program with off-field behavior - isn't automatically given 3 years.

That makes sense.  I would argue he needs to get a couple of good wins against strong SEC teams, as well as a strong bowl appearance to earn that 3rd year.

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on May 04, 2014, 05:08:08 am
We already know what you think,  but somehow that thread mysteriously vanished...

Along with about 50% of the fan base...

WilsonHog

Quote from: Notshavin on May 04, 2014, 12:01:01 pm
That makes sense.  I would argue he needs to get a couple of good wins against strong SEC teams, as well as a strong bowl appearance to earn that 3rd year.

I've always thought a coach should get three years regardless.

I'm trying to think of how many coaches have been fired after two years. 

Ellis Johnson, I know. Gotta be a pretty short list, and a minuscule percentage.

Hogwild

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 04, 2014, 09:06:53 am

I would go with #2,#3, & #5

Maybe this will make more sense:

Choice:
#1 - You can't stand BB he needs to go yesterday
#2 - Not a very good coach last season and should shoulder some responsibility
#3 - No judgement can be made yet
#4 - He's one of the best coaches in America and we are fortunate to have him
#5 - He has us going in the right direction so far, but not sure if we can get there

Hawgcore

I think this is, at the moment, an unfair comparison.

BB had great success before he ever stepped foot in Fayetteville; Nutt had no such track record.

BB may well prove to be as middling a Razorback football coach as Nutt, although I doubt it.

Even if polls like this are largely the point of boards/fan forums, it's too early, bro.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: Notshavin on May 04, 2014, 12:20:32 pm
Maybe this will make more sense:

Choice:
#1 - You can't stand BB he needs to go yesterday
#2 - Not a very good coach last season and should shoulder some responsibility
#3 - No judgement can be made yet
#4 - He's one of the best coaches in America and we are fortunate to have him
#5 - He has us going in the right direction so far, but not sure if we can get there
I hope no one concludes CBB had no responsibility at all for last season.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Tom Bennett on May 04, 2014, 12:08:07 pm
I've always thought a coach should get three years regardless.

I'm trying to think of how many coaches have been fired after two years. 

Ellis Johnson, I know. Gotta be a pretty short list, and a minuscule percentage.
Richard Bell got fired after one year at South Carolina. That's the only one I could find.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

DeltaBoy

2 things 1. Some of his boneheaded play calling cost us some games.
2. He needs another 2 years to get us winning like Bobby did.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LZH

Quote from: Tom Bennett on May 04, 2014, 11:49:56 am

How 'bout publicly embarrassing the program with on-field behavior?

SquidBilly

You give General Patton a group of fighter pilots and tell him to turn them into infantry men and it won't happen overnight.  Give him some fighter pilots that have been let down by their previous commander and it will take even longer.  This thread started with an agenda and while I know its the offseason I don't see any point in having this debate after CBBs first year on the job.

LZH

Quote from: Bret Squealema on May 04, 2014, 12:59:26 pm
You give General Patton a group of fighter pilots and tell him to turn them into infantry men and it won't happen overnight.  Give him some fighter pilots that have been let down by their previous commander and it will take even longer.  This thread started with an agenda and while I know its the offseason I don't see any point in having this debate after CBBs first year on the job.

So would you see any point having a debate about his first year on the job if he had gone 9-3 instead of 3-9?

I wish I had a dollar for every excuse I've read on here.

Quote from: Bret Squealema on May 04, 2014, 12:59:26 pm
This thread started with an agenda

The only "agenda" is to have a civil discussion.  There are Hog fans on both sides, and some in the middle.  And they are all Hog fans. 

A little success next season and this poll will change drastically. 

Arkfan

I keep reading that he has us going in the right direction. What exactly does that mean?

It must be more than no conference wins and the longest losing streak in school history.

ultim8hogfan

if we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure

lumphog

I like what he's doing, what he's building, and what he's trying to build. POWER FOOTBALL. As long as Pittman is here we will be able to field the BEST O-line in CFB. It starts in the trenches. Look at Stanford in the Pac 12 with all the spread teams.....success. Look at Bama & LSU in the SEC....success. He's got a winning formula & the coaches to get it done. In his first year with what he had to work with (mostly players that ARE NOT built for his style), I think he did a helluva job. As been mentioned by OPPOSING PLAYERS... "Arkansas was the most physical team we faced" . . . Just wait till he gets the players he NEEDS to play his style. Look at what he HAS DONE IN THE PAST & what his CoOrd.s HAVE DONE in the past..... He's KNOWN for taking under rated recruits and turning them into GREAT PLAYERS. "IF" they can keep doing what they HAVE DONE... I don't see any reason he won't be successful..... I think he's just the guy to get it done. That's my story & I'm sticking to it!!! Oh yea, I wasn't happy with the hire at first, but after looking at what he'd trying to do... I'm Happy , Happy , Happy

Lake City Hog

Some of you guys are truly amazing! Someone starts a thread that has the possibility of casting some blame on BB, as well as giving him some degree of credit and there is an agenda.
Let someone start a thread that defends BB to the point of throwing our players under the bus and all we here is "preach it brother" and "finally someone gets it".

Guys, this isn't a competition between BB and BP. Petrino did what he did and his successes should not be minimized out of anger or pettiness! Why? Because those successes were RAZORBACK successes!

BB will do what BB will do and believe it or not most of the people criticizing him want him to be successful. Why? Because the RAZORBACKS will be successful!
How hard is that to understand?

When I complain about the fake punt against Miss St. and the failure to pressure a freshman QB  late in the LSU game I'm not saying I want BB fired. I'm saying that those were bad decisions. Petrino made some bad decisions, and I didn't like those either. I wanted Knile to get 20+ caries a game from game 1 because I thought that he was our best back. Didn't mean I wanted BP fired.

Mike_e

Quote from: LZH on May 04, 2014, 12:53:32 pm
How 'bout publicly embarrassing the program with on-field behavior?

Damm, and I thought I told him to stay off motorcycles.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

tophawg19

I  think CBB  underestimated the SEC conference as a whole . Watching is much different than playing against them . I also think he had a team more talented than what they showed on the field . THE DB's weren't slow physically as much as mentally . they took way to much time reacting to what was happening and it gets you beat. The defensive staff we had was poorly chosen from to different of backgrounds and i don't feel like they worked together as a staff on game planning or terminology . Each coach was calling sets for their position and often times weren't in agreement . This caused a lot of broken assignments . Very unusual to have each position coach calling in alignments , usually it's 2 . one for D-LINE and 1 for back 7 . WE were getting different calls even for safeties and CB'S . I  for one am glad Ash and co are gone . Shannon was ok just needed some experienced players that fit the mold . I was amazed to hear this was happening among the defensive positions . too often different coaches were making different reads and giving wrong sets to their players .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

TOM "tbw1"

Before you make any comparisons you have to have a point of reference.  There has never been a program that I know of that lost its head football coach during the second week of spring practice.  If some of the more scholarly fans know of one, please let me know.  That program then lost an entire recruiting class and suffered from losing most of the two previous recruiting classes for a variety of reasons. 

To me it would be like a start up program like the 2002 UCF program joining the SEC.  However, that comparison would be flawed as any other would be because this was a unique tragedy. 

Please do not derail this thread into an anti or pro Coach Petrino thread or Jeff Long thread.  That would only lead to useless speculation that has been in many threads.

As to the original question, I do not see how our present head coach with his background could become any version of Houston Nutt.

It may not be as entertaining as some wish it to be but for those who get their entertainment by seeing athletes choose to put on the Razorback uniform and compete in the strongest conference in football it will be a lot of fun.  You can paint a house and cover up defects for a short period of time but a strong foundation will last.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

LZH

TOM "tbw1"

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

hog911

Quote from: Notshavin on May 04, 2014, 12:18:14 am
Thoughts?

Keep it civil.

I'll try! This poll proves the majority of hogville is either short bus riders or long staff members!

Hawgboy64

He's the Head Hog football coach, so I will support him.
With that said, I think he was a poor hire and a bad fit at Arkansas.
Of course, I'm still mad Frank didn't hire Jimmy Johnson.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Okay, even more simple:

1.  Fire BB
2.  Not satisfied with BB so far
3.  Too early to say
4.  I love BB, he's shown me enough to want him here for a long time.
5.  I'm a bit skeptical, but he's going in the right direction and hopefully we'll get to where we need to be.