Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upon second review, some positives from the Red White game after all . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, May 03, 2014, 09:36:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

grim_sleeper

I have watched the spring game a couple of times,  and I didn't get why everyone was upset about it to begin with.  I thought there were some really great improvements where we needed them.  Allen did fine in the second half.   I think people were overly negative about it to be honest.   Bama and a few other spring games I watched didn't look much better.   Good Article.

bphi11ips

As usual, Jim Harris delivers an accurate and balanced treatment.  Everyone from the coaches and players to the media and fans acknowledged the sluggishness in the offense during the first half.  It wasn't just Brandon Allen's late throw coupled with Keon Hatcher's half-hearted effort on the Red team's second play of the game, although that may have set an early tone.  It wasn't just the vanilla play calls.  On the other hand, there were many individual bright spots and across the board improvement in areas where the team, especially the defense, was hopelessly overmatched in 2013.

The 2014 version of the Razorbacks are going to surprise some people. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

clew

2013 offense was terrible but the defense was even worse. Let's hope the offense is somewhat better but the defense is way better. That's my story and it'll have to do to carry me though until we play the war plains chickens.
Pure as the dawn

HiggiePiggy

The spring game was vanilla. Probably didn't even run a quarter of the offensive plays.  It was designed to make the defense look better in my opinion.  So we really don't have a clue how good or bad the offense and defense is yet.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

thebignasty

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 03, 2014, 11:41:13 am
The spring game was vanilla. Probably didn't even run a quarter of the offensive plays.  It was designed to make the defense look better in my opinion.  So we really don't have a clue how good or bad the offense and defense is yet.
I doubt the plan was for the 2nd D to hold the 1st O to 20 yards passing in the first half.  It got better, but that was certainly a pitiful display. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: bpsheman on May 03, 2014, 11:55:57 am
I doubt the plan was for the 2nd D to hold the 1st O to 20 yards passing in the first half.  It got better, but that was certainly a pitiful display. 

Maybe not, but when you play very little offensive plays it's more designed to make the defense look better than the offense.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on May 03, 2014, 09:36:27 am

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/razorback-review-reveals-bright-spots/?utm_source=Sporting+Life+Arkansas+Main+List&utm_campaign=469293aed8-may_2_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_acef5875b9-469293aed8-14573925
You're not allowed to have any positives when it comes to the Red White game. Haven't you learned yet that the less than stellar QB play is a sure fire preview of the coming season, the overall lack of any real "firepower", especially in the first half, was an indication we have NO weapons on offense, the lack of separation by the WRs has absolutely ZERO to do with any possible improvement by the DBs (just those slow and lumbering wide outs that can't run a route to save their lives)? Of course the criticisms could go on and on and on and on.....but of course you get the idea. We're doomed during '14 'cause of course the RW game reveals all and there can't possibly be any improvement during fall camp much less the season. I can see an "improved" 0-12 record this coming season.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

DeltaBoy

Jim always does a good job. His points are valid ; We need to relax and this thing play out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hog911

Quote from: grim_sleeper on May 03, 2014, 10:02:45 am
I have watched the spring game a couple of times,  and I didn't get why everyone was upset about it to begin with.  I thought there were some really great improvements where we needed them.  Allen did fine in the second half.   I think people were overly negative about it to be honest.   Bama and a few other spring games I watched didn't look much better.   Good Article.

It's all relative. Keep in mind both our O and D sucked last year!

Deep Shoat

Does anyone else find it amusing that this thread has 10 (now 11) replies, but if it was a bitch thread it would easily be over 100 by now?

This alone should tell you where the problem lies in our fanbase...
All Gas, No Brakes!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 03, 2014, 08:36:16 pm
Does anyone else find it amusing that this thread has 10 (now 11) replies, but if it was a bitch thread it would easily be over 100 by now?

This alone should tell you where the problem lies in our fanbase...

It's very simple. Don't bring BP up in a thread and it will be fine.  If he is brought up then both people that like him or dislike him will take up 3 or 4 pages on that alone.

WayneHawg

How can the players not get up for the spring game ? Aren't they playing for a starting spot? I would think a sluggish effort in practice would also carry over to games!

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 03, 2014, 09:04:03 pm
It's very simple. Don't bring BP up in a thread and it will be fine.  If he is brought up then both people that like him or dislike him will take up 3 or 4 pages on that alone.

BP's offense always looked better in spring games.

HometownHawg

Quote from: lewisfoxtrot on May 03, 2014, 10:27:41 pm
How can the players not get up for the spring game ? Aren't they playing for a starting spot? I would think a sluggish effort in practice would also carry over to games!
It's a glorified spring practice and the last one of 15 or 16 some players especially guys who have been there a few years find it hard to get up for a practice like that. Also hitting the same guy and one who is on your team gets old after the first few times.

Oklahawg

I tend to trust Jim Harris and Mike Irwin. I made my own conclusion, have stuck with it, and find nothing in Jim's assessment that argues with what I THINK I saw.

As Jim so poignantly reminds, we won't confuse Brandon Allen with Tyler Wilson but few would honestly expect as much.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Chuck Beavers

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 03, 2014, 07:27:00 pm
Jim always does a good job. His points are valid ; We need to relax and this thing play out.

Relax! It's only a nine game losing streak. Nothing to worry about. No need to make any changes. Besides, as coach says, losing is actually better than winning.

MJ2

Quote from: Chuck Beavers on May 04, 2014, 11:01:50 pm
Relax! It's only a nine game losing streak. Nothing to worry about. No need to make any changes. Besides, as coach says, losing is actually better than winning.

The coach that says that has be worried.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I did not get to see the game live... I have read a bunch of  BS on here.

1) Brandon Allen did not stare down ANY receiver on an interception. (quinn grovey started that crap trying to sound like a legit color guy)

2) Keon hatcher was not thrown behind on that same play either. Allen threw the ball too hard and hatcher could not handle it.

Best I could tell BA was throwing into tight coverage that in game situations he would probably throw the ball away or tuck and run. our defense looked way far ahead of last year. We will not be a bad team this year,but we are still 1 yr away from being a threat to win it all. Then we will probably have another 1 yr lull while the QB of the future matures in 2016..
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.