Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lakers Head Coach

Started by Fatty McGee, May 01, 2014, 12:40:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatty McGee

Hottest job on the market in basketball this year?  Who could it be?

Self?  Calipari?  Ollie?  NBA Assistant?

Who wants to nominally lead Kobe's team?
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Hawg Red

Don't leave out Messina.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2014, 12:40:47 pm
Don't leave out Messina.

Saw that but I'm not buying it.  Too high profile a job for your first NBA job with no NBA experience of any kind.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Hawg Red

We know what their floor is -- Bryon Scott.

hogfan1003

popcornhog

Jimmy Dykes?

It's gonna be like Altman all over again.
WPS

The_Iceman

George Karl?

Solid HC, but may not be flashy enough for L.A.

Hawg Red

The_Iceman

Kevin Ollie would be a good choice for them as well.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2014, 01:27:11 pm
Probably the best choice available.
I like S. Van Gundy. He took the Magic to the finals with Dwight Howard and a bunch of lower-end roleplayers(Rafer Alston, Rashaad Lewis, Turkoglu etc).

As a Magic fan, I'm still disgusted that they fired him.

Lionel Hollis is also a hell of a coach.

trashcan maN

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 01, 2014, 01:32:37 pm
Kevin Ollie would be a good choice for them as well.
Nearly every great coach to go from college to NBA fails. Stack that on top of the fact that Ollie only has a couple of years experience under his belt at the collegiate level. I see Ollie as being high risk/questionable reward. Would not be a good hire IMO.

Hawg Red

Quote from: kj0N on May 01, 2014, 01:34:02 pm
I like S. Van Gundy. He took the Magic to the finals with Dwight Howard and a bunch of lower-end roleplayers(Rafer Alston, Rashaad Lewis, Turkoglu etc).

Karl took the Sonics to two Finals in a much more competitive conference. And he won COY his last season coaching. The Eastern Conference was downright awful when Van Gundy was coaching (still is, really). Karl won 50 games 5 of 6 years in Denver during the time SVG coached Orlando. 50 games in the West >>> 50 games in the East.

Not that SVG isn't a good coach (he also won 59 games with the Heat in '05). I just think Karl is the best coach on the market, though there are concerns about his ability to succeed.

Hawg Red

Quote from: kj0N on May 01, 2014, 01:35:33 pm
Nearly every great coach to go from college to NBA fails. Stack that on top of the fact that Ollie only has a couple of years experience under his belt at the collegiate level. I see Ollie as being high risk/questionable reward. Would not be a good hire IMO.

If there's a guy that can crossover, it's Ollie. Ollie isn't your traditional college coach as his roots are much more NBA than college. He'd have a unique ability to relate to and command respect from players at the NBA level and just all college coaches wouldn't have. Kevin Ollie has been a mentor to many current NBA players. Coaching in the NBA is as much about connecting with the players as anything.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2014, 01:39:25 pm
Karl took the Sonics to two Finals in a much more competitive conference. And he won COY his last season coaching. The Eastern Conference was downright awful when Van Gundy was coaching (still is, really). Karl won 50 games 5 of 6 years in Denver during the time SVG coached Orlando. 50 games in the West >>> 50 games in the East.

Not that SVG isn't a good coach (he also won 59 games with the Heat in '05). I just think Karl is the best coach on the market, though there are concerns about his ability to succeed.
Definitely wasn't disputing what you said about Karl; I was just throwing a couple of other names out there. Karl probably is the most established coach on the market, but he has lost in the first round of the playoffs 9 out of the last 10 years he's coached though.

Hawg Red

Quote from: kj0N on May 01, 2014, 01:53:38 pm
Definitely wasn't disputing what you said about Karl; I was just throwing a couple of other names out there. Karl probably is the most established coach on the market, but he has lost in the first round of the playoffs 9 out of the last 10 years he's coached though.

Yep. And that's the knock on him. And why he got fired. Also, he didn't get along too well with Carmelo. Could the same happen with Kobe?

I'm starting to talk myself out of that proclamation now.

trashcan maN

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2014, 01:59:05 pm
Yep. And that's the knock on him. And why he got fired. Also, he didn't get along too well with Carmelo. Could the same happen with Kobe?

What about Hollis?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2014, 01:41:13 pm
If there's a guy that can crossover, it's Ollie. Ollie isn't your traditional college coach as his roots are much more NBA than college. He'd have a unique ability to relate to and command respect from players at the NBA level and just all college coaches wouldn't have. Kevin Ollie has been a mentor to many current NBA players. Coaching in the NBA is as much about connecting with the players as anything.

True, Ollie isn't your typical college head coach. I think he would transition well back to the NBA.

PorkRinds

Let's hope it's Donovan. 

yraciv

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 01, 2014, 02:52:48 pm
Let's hope it's Donovan. 

I hope it's not him or Calipari.  If the SEC wants to ever become a Top 5 basketball conference again.  we've got to keep the good coaches.

870hogfan

They are looking at the Chicago Bulls head coach.

yraciv

Quote from: 870hogfan on May 01, 2014, 03:09:06 pm
They are looking at the Chicago Bulls head coach.

Would be a good hire, but I wouldn't leave the Bulls for that mess.  If the Bulls ever get Rose back that is one of the 5 best teams in the league. Lakers are going to have a complete roster overhaul, with an ailing, aging declining superstar, taking up about 40% of their salary.

Hog-Corleone

You all are overlooking the obvious:   FRANK HAITH!
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

WPS007

+1 watching Haith turn the Lakers into Mizzou west would be funny

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

hvsupastar

If it's Ollie I think that's a play for Durant
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Brass Knob

Quote from: yraciv on May 01, 2014, 04:39:40 pm
Would be a good hire, but I wouldn't leave the Bulls for that mess.  If the Bulls ever get Rose back that is one of the 5 best teams in the league. Lakers are going to have a complete roster overhaul, with an ailing, aging declining superstar, taking up about 40% of their salary.

They are not in that bad of shape long term though. Next year they Kobe and Gasol plus a high first round pick this year coming in. That is basically a free year for head coach with little to no expectations. Next year they presumably have another mid to high first round pick plus enough cap space to sign at least one and possibly two high end free agents. There are several top end players who will be available then including players like LBJ and Kevin Love. If the coach can survive next year he may be in a very good position to win after that.

yraciv

Quote from: Brass Knob on May 01, 2014, 10:27:10 pm
They are not in that bad of shape long term though. Next year they Kobe and Gasol plus a high first round pick this year coming in. That is basically a free year for head coach with little to no expectations. Next year they presumably have another mid to high first round pick plus enough cap space to sign at least one and possibly two high end free agents. There are several top end players who will be available then including players like LBJ and Kevin Love. If the coach can survive next year he may be in a very good position to win after that.

They can afford one more superstar, and certainly have open wallets to be good.  But honestly I think there is a ceiling there that is the western conference semis.  I base this all on Kobe's contract and the type of player he is currently.

rusvegashog

I can't see any free agent or coach wanting to coach or play with  Ko Me Bryant. I hope they hire Magic and they lose 70 by 70.

dhornjr1

Quote from: kj0N on May 01, 2014, 01:34:02 pm

Lionel Hollis is also a hell of a coach.

I've just about every name out there get mentioned. John Caliipari, Steve Kerr, Derek Fisher, Lionel Hollins, Byron Scott, Kurt Rambis, Kevin Ollie, etc.

I'm waiting to hear Billy Gillispie and Buzz Peterson get a mention.

dhornjr1

I forgot to add Tom Thibodeau, Mark Jackson, and Doc Rivers as well.

MatCauthon

Quote from: dhornjr1 on May 02, 2014, 02:12:20 am
I forgot to add Tom Thibodeau, Mark Jackson, and Doc Rivers as well.

Mark Jackson is the most realistic choice of these. If Warriors lose this series to the Clippers there is a decent chance he will get fired

1highhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 01, 2014, 01:59:05 pm

Who DOES get along with Carmelo?

1highhog

I wouldn't wish the Lakers job on any really good Coach.  With the stupid contract they signed Kobe to, they are stuck for a few years to come with that load, I like rewarding a player, but the NBA is a business like any other, and that's not the way to run one.

Ironhawg

They might as well just name Kobe player-coach.  He's the one running the team anyway.

pigture perfect

I think Derrick Fisher should retire and be named HC. He's smart enough and knows the system. He is very well respected.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Smithian

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

jfred59

Stan Heath and John Pelphrey as co-head coaches

TomasPistola

Quote from: Smithian on May 02, 2014, 10:13:54 am
Jon Gruden

I hate you. I hate you for beating me to it and I'll never forgive you.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

onebadrubi

People on Espn sat radio were mentioning fisher making a call to put his name in the hat.  I have to think that was made up, he's still playing!!

yraciv

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 02, 2014, 10:26:01 pm
People on Espn sat radio were mentioning fisher making a call to put his name in the hat.  I have to think that was made up, he's still playing!!

Can't get the position if they make a decision before your playoff run is over.  Doesn't seem that far fetched.

rusvegashog

^^^^Jason Kidd was playing last season. With the current in flux of former players becoming head coaches and Kerr possibly going to NYC, D Fish was the first person I thought of.

root_hawg

East Clintwood

Bad career move.  The Lakers top players are old and tying up most of the salary $$$$, limiting their ability to rebuild the team into anything resembling a playoff contender.  Any coach they hire now will be fired long before they can rebuild into a winner.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

El Dog Hog

Rick Adelman would be a tremendous hire. Much better than George Karl in the playoffs and did a good job in Houston and Sacramento and took the Blazers to a finals in the early 90's. Did he retire bc Minnesota blows or did he retire bc he's done? He is who the Lakers should have hired a few years ago.

yraciv

Quote from: El Dog Hog on May 04, 2014, 12:31:06 am
Rick Adelman would be a tremendous hire. Much better than George Karl in the playoffs and did a good job in Houston and Sacramento and took the Blazers to a finals in the early 90's. Did he retire bc Minnesota blows or did he retire bc he's done? He is who the Lakers should have hired a few years ago.

Adelman is 67, he retire because he has had enough. If he wanted a new job he would have just applied for it and or if he was pissed with the T Wolves he would have resigned.  I think it's very similar to the Phil Jackson retirement where once you get old and know your team doesn't have a chance to succeed you just call it a career.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: El Dog Hog on May 04, 2014, 12:31:06 am

His wife is very sick. He retired to spend more time with her.

husker71

why not mark Jackson???  rumor is he will be free to pursue another job soon

TomasPistola

Quote from: East Clintwood on May 03, 2014, 11:08:28 pm
Bad career move.  The Lakers top players are old and tying up most of the salary $$$$, limiting their ability to rebuild the team into anything resembling a playoff contender.  Any coach they hire now will be fired long before they can rebuild into a winner.

Um, the Lakers have 2 people on contract for next season, Kobe and Nash. Not a bad starting point for a team. Everyone else is off the books.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Hogbody

Should get Jerry Sloan!