Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

HC  at Southern Miss.

rzrbackramsfan

Name sounds familiar.

grayhawg

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 30, 2014, 08:29:40 pm
Name sounds familiar.
Long time Coach at Westark before it became UAFS, also HC at Nebraska for a while.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 30, 2014, 08:40:09 pm
It was a train-wreck we avoided.

Haha, one time candidate due to his time at uafs huh?

root_hawg

hoglady

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 30, 2014, 08:40:09 pm
It was a train-wreck we avoided.

Could he have been any worse than Pelphrey?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

secfan30

Quote from: hoglady on May 01, 2014, 05:38:40 pm

Not at all. I would have preferred Doc over the red haired wonder. Ultimately I love the fact we ended up with Anderson, but what hell we went through to get to that point.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hoglady on May 01, 2014, 05:38:40 pm
Maybe not worse but not noticeably better.

2006–07   Nebraska   17–14   
2007–08   Nebraska   20–13
2008–09   Nebraska   18–13
2009–10   Nebraska   15–18
2010–11   Nebraska   19–13
2011–12   Nebraska   12–18   
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Smithian

Good for Doc Sadler. He was competitive with a bad Nebraska program.

Kevin

hope the eagles like 50-49 games
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

popcornhog

Quote from: BeoPig™ on May 01, 2014, 09:12:04 pm
Maybe not worse but not noticeably better.

2006–07   Nebraska   17–14   
2007–08   Nebraska   20–13
2008–09   Nebraska   18–13
2009–10   Nebraska   15–18
2010–11   Nebraska   19–13
2011–12   Nebraska   12–18

He'd have been a lot better than Pel.

His record at Nebraska, a school with ZERO hoops history playing in a tough league compares favorably to an SEC school with Rich history and fan support.
WPS

Smithian

Quote from: popcornhog on May 02, 2014, 09:21:00 am

His record at Nebraska, a school with ZERO hoops history playing in a tough league compares favorably to an SEC school with Rich history and fan support.
Doc Sadler with a good staff of recruiters wouldn't have been a bad hire for Arkansas. Obviously Mike Anderson was a significantly better hire, but I think Sadler would have done a good job here. I do think had he stayed at UTEP one more season he would have been a very good hire after Heath when it became clear all Option A and Option B candidates had said no.

hogsanity

At one time, County Line High School in Western Arkansas had Doc Sadler as boys hs coach and Louis Whorton as girls HS coach at the same time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

Quote from: popcornhog on May 02, 2014, 09:21:00 am

Sorry but Arkansas has zero relevant basketball history since Nolan was fired, maybe even as far back as 1998.  The history of a schools success only goes back as far as recruits can remember.  Everything after that is for diehard fans

popcornhog

Quote from: BeoPig™ on May 02, 2014, 03:47:24 pm
Sorry but Arkansas has zero relevant basketball history since Nolan was fired, maybe even as far back as 1998.  The history of a schools success only goes back as far as recruits can remember.  Everything after that is for diehard fans

Nebraska has zero history. I think they've only been to the tourney a couple of times.

At the time that Pel was hired (which is what we're discussing) Nolan's history was quite relevant.
WPS

Pork Twain

Quote from: popcornhog on May 03, 2014, 02:34:45 pm
Nebraska has zero history. I think they've only been to the tourney a couple of times.

At the time that Pel was hired (which is what we're discussing) Nolan's history was quite relevant.
We were a shadow of what we once were even by then.

Hogimus Prime

He maybe a good guy and coach but his style of play made Heath's look like early 90's 40 minutes of hell.  If it weren't for his Arkansas ties he wouldn't have ever been mentioned for the head coaching job.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on May 04, 2014, 09:58:50 pm
He maybe a good guy and coach but his style of play made Heath's look like early 90's 40 minutes of hell.  If it weren't for his Arkansas ties he wouldn't have ever been mentioned for the head coaching job.
Should never have been mentioned

Smithian

Except he does have Arkansas ties and that does make a difference.

I think he would have done a fine job here. He made Nebraska (NEBRASKA!) competitive in a tougher conference with awful facilities. I wouldn't trade Anderson for Sadler, but had he been the Plan C or D hire instead of Pelphrey I think the Hogs would be in a much different spot today.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Smithian on May 05, 2014, 09:03:32 am
Except he does have Arkansas ties and that does make a difference.

I think he would have done a fine job here. He made Nebraska (NEBRASKA!) competitive in a tougher conference with awful facilities. I wouldn't trade Anderson for Sadler, but had he been the Plan C or D hire instead of Pelphrey I think the Hogs would be in a much different spot today.
I beleive we would have been in pretty much exactly the same situation.

DeltaBoy

Doc would have been a better hire than Pel for sure.

Congrats to Doc for getting the Southern Miss job.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

yraciv

This style of play thing is a misconception on him.  He certainly doesn't run 40 minutes of hell, but he adjusts to his personnel.  His Westark teams could run, press, & put up points.  His team that went to the NCAA's at UTEP averaged 76 a game.  His teams at Nebraska were undermanned and often had their posts as the best player, so he adjusted by slowing the pace.  And Iowa State this season was 6th in the nation in scoring, and one of the more exciting teams to watch.  I'm not expecting to put up 80 a game, but I do expect him to adjust and have a different tempo than his Nebraska teams did.

Pork Twain

Porked Tongue

Hoggish1

fineswine

Jeopardy answer-"The coach with a career winning record versus Mike Anderson".

yraciv

Quote from: fineswine on May 10, 2014, 11:53:45 am
Jeopardy answer-"The coach with a career winning record versus Mike Anderson".

Frank Haith? Sorry, couldn't help myself.