Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Razorbacks Must Find Way to be One of 78 Teams to make Postseason Game

Started by Robert Shields, April 28, 2014, 10:01:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Razorbacks Must Find Way to be One of 78 Teams to Make a Postseason Game

Robert Shields

The crowd was down this year at the Razorback Red-White game compared to last year. The optimism of a new coach has passed, and after only winning three games and no SEC games last season, the excitement level is naturally tempered.

Coming out of spring practice, here is one sentence to sum up what needs to happen for this football program in the fall: The Razorbacks have to find a way to win six games and make a bowl.

Sounds like an easy task when you consider that a record-high 78 Division 1 schools will make it to the postseason.

But that three-game improvement for the Razorbacks will have to come against a very difficult schedule.

Anyone who watched last season unfold knows the Razorbacks need to improve in two areas at a minimum to pick up those three extra wins. One is the defense and to be more specific the defensive secondary. While everyone wants to talk about a quarterback, a good player at safety has to emerge or you can forget the season.

Speaking of quarterback, that is the Razorbacks' second most-important need. Even with the SEC losing several great quarterbacks from last season, a recent ranking had Arkansas 12th out of 14 in the SEC heading into next season. There has to be improvement at that position for the offense to flourish. Imagine the gasket Bobby Petrino would be blowing right now with the current quarterback production.

The receivers will be better next year, but they are going to need a quarterback to take advantage of their potential. The tight ends should be a positive on the team as well, but again they will need a quarterback who can effectively deliver the ball in crucial situations.

The question Razorback fans have to ask themselves after watching the Red-White game on Saturday is, was either one of those concerns answered heading into the summer.

Just like last year, this Razorback football team cannot have any mistakes and then expect to overcome them and win a game. It will be too fragile of a team to overcome a lot of adversity. An interception in the Texas A&M game put it away for the Aggies, a fumble against Mississippi State led to the game going into overtime and a loss, and a punt return staged a comeback for Rutgers.

The turnovers that led to defensive scores this year in the Red-White game are not a positive sign. Some might want to say the defense is better, but it's more than likely a sign the offense still has the same quirks. Three touchdowns in a 16-second period with two of those by the defense is more than likely a bad indication that things still need to improve a lot before the Razorback tee it up against Auburn.

The fact that Brandon Allen had twice the number of interceptions in the spring game compared to touchdowns is sad and has to get better. He knows that, as do the coaches. If you want a positive, Rafe Peavey put the ball in the air nine times on the lesser White team, completed four of them, and did not throw an interception.

On another positive note, the first-team defense of the Red team held the White offense to negative 42 yards with most of the losses credited to the quarterbacks (55 negative to be exact). Maybe, this is a sign the starting defensive front is solid along with the linebackers being improved. Yet, some kid named Evans was the one carrying the ball most of the time for the beleaguered White offense.

The bright spot of the scrimmage was the 83 points scored. It's a video-game number that goes over great with the kids and makes you believe the Razorback offense is going to be explosive. If nothing else, it was a great marketing ploy to get people excited about this high-powered run and shoot offense.

The real bright spot of the scrimmage and the one thing everyone talked about was the emergence of Korliss Marshall as the big play maker. This comes as a no surprise if you saw his flashes of brilliance last year. Somehow, the coaches overlooked him a lot. Now it's obvious to everyone, he's the one player that can take it to the house.

In the end, it was probably hard for fans if they were honest with themselves that this is a team destined for great things. It's a team that has to find a way to win six games, not all of them that easy.

Send your seating assignment next year to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

PygmalionEffect

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

seasonhog

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 28, 2014, 10:01:22 am

Robert Shields

The crowd was down this year at the Razorback Red-White game compared to last year. The optimism of a new coach has passed, and after only winning three games and no SEC games last season, the excitement level is naturally tempered.

Coming out of spring practice, here is one sentence to sum up what needs to happen for this football program in the fall: The Razorbacks have to find a way to win six games and make a bowl.

Sounds like an easy task when you consider that a record-high 78 Division 1 schools will make it to the postseason.

But that three-game improvement for the Razorbacks will have to come against a very difficult schedule.

Anyone who watched last season unfold knows the Razorbacks need to improve in two areas at a minimum to pick up those three extra wins. One is the defense and to be more specific the defensive secondary. While everyone wants to talk about a quarterback, a good player at safety has to emerge or you can forget the season.

Speaking of quarterback, that is the Razorbacks' second most-important need. Even with the SEC losing several great quarterbacks from last season, a recent ranking had Arkansas 12th out of 14 in the SEC heading into next season. There has to be improvement at that position for the offense to flourish. Imagine the gasket Bobby Petrino would be blowing right now with the current quarterback production.

The receivers will be better next year, but they are going to need a quarterback to take advantage of their potential. The tight ends should be a positive on the team as well, but again they will need a quarterback who can effectively deliver the ball in crucial situations.

The question Razorback fans have to ask themselves after watching the Red-White game on Saturday is, was either one of those concerns answered heading into the summer.

Just like last year, this Razorback football team cannot have any mistakes and then expect to overcome them and win a game. It will be too fragile of a team to overcome a lot of adversity. An interception in the Texas A&M game put it away for the Aggies, a fumble against Mississippi State led to the game going into overtime and a loss, and a punt return staged a comeback for Rutgers.

The turnovers that led to defensive scores this year in the Red-White game are not a positive sign. Some might want to say the defense is better, but it's more than likely a sign the offense still has the same quirks. Three touchdowns in a 16-second period with two of those by the defense is more than likely a bad indication that things still need to improve a lot before the Razorback tee it up against Auburn.

The fact that Brandon Allen had twice the number of interceptions in the spring game compared to touchdowns is sad and has to get better. He knows that, as do the coaches. If you want a positive, Rafe Peavey put the ball in the air nine times on the lesser White team, completed four of them, and did not throw an interception.

On another positive note, the first-team defense of the Red team held the White offense to negative 42 yards with most of the losses credited to the quarterbacks (55 negative to be exact). Maybe, this is a sign the starting defensive front is solid along with the linebackers being improved. Yet, some kid named Evans was the one carrying the ball most of the time for the beleaguered White offense.

The bright spot of the scrimmage was the 83 points scored. It's a video-game number that goes over great with the kids and makes you believe the Razorback offense is going to be explosive. If nothing else, it was a great marketing ploy to get people excited about this high-powered run and shoot offense.

The real bright spot of the scrimmage and the one thing everyone talked about was the emergence of Korliss Marshall as the big play maker. This comes as a no surprise if you saw his flashes of brilliance last year. Somehow, the coaches overlooked him a lot. Now it's obvious to everyone, he's the one player that can take it to the house.

In the end, it was probably hard for fans if they were honest with themselves that this is a team destined for great things. It's a team that has to find a way to win six games, not all of them that easy.

Send your seating assignment next year to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

good read, RS

The_Iceman

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 28, 2014, 10:01:22 am

Robert Shields

reason 1... check...  reason 2.... check...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

weresoclose

Must find a way to win 6 games.... or what??   Or nothing, that's what.  2015 is a "must" situation for bowl birth.

Uncommon

First time I've actually agreed with what Robert wrote.  A bowl game is and should be the ultimate goal for this years team.  Not only will we gain some respect back from media but we will also gain respect back from recruits.  And with that newly gained respect, we can sign those recruits and then have an even better season the next year.  Just like that, a snowball like event begins to occur.  More wins=better recruiting classes=More wins the next season.  Imagine if Petrino could've done the second part in that equation.

2014 Season Goals
4-8 is the AT LEAST goal
6-6 is the ULTIMATE goal
8-4 is a Frito Pie Burger on a Friday (AT MOST goal)

mckinneyhog5

It's just Spring...let's wait until the end of fall to start the doom and gloom articles.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

weresoclose

Maybe Raef will emerge.  If so, anything is possible.  We could win 6 with solid QB play.

thefisher

Dear God .....

I considered printing this off and putting it in the bottom of the bird cage to catch the bird crap.

However, I fear Peta would get an injunction against me for subjecting the bird to cruel punishment by being in the same cage as this distasteful and snot laden dribble of an "article".

The second reason I didn't was that it seems this article would bring down the level of the bird crap ..... if the bird crap had to be dropped upon it.

This article .... as most of R. Shields articles ... is simply awful.

Vents and rumors with this garbage... PLEASE!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

weresoclose

Quote from: thefisher on April 28, 2014, 02:26:34 pm
Dear God .....

I considered printing this off and putting it in the bottom of the bird cage to catch the bird crap.

However, I fear Peta would get an injunction against me for subjecting the bird to cruel punishment by being in the same cage as this distasteful and snot laden dribble of an "article".

The second reason I didn't was that it seems this article would bring down the level of the bird crap if the bird crap had to be dropped upon it.

This article .... as most of R. Shields articles ... is simply awful.

Vents and rumors with this garbage... PLEASE!

And yet it is so much better in every single way than anything your poor concept of grammar and immaturity has ever produced:  better in form, better in ideas, better in flow of thought, better in literally every way.  You should read more and post less.  The adults are talking.

RyeHogFan

I agree with ya, Bob. Our QB play must improve dramatically from last season for us to reach that 6-win goal. We have some great RBs and a decent O-Line, but if we aren't passing efficiently, we are gonna see 8 or 9 defenders in the box stuffing the run. Allen (or whoever ends up at QB) doesn't have to be a world beater. He just needs to be able to hit a slant or crossing route in front of the receiver, throw a TE seam off of play action, throw a decent fade route to Hollister or Henry in the end zone...and above all he just has to NOT TURN IT OVER!!

thefisher

Quote from: weresoclose on April 28, 2014, 02:57:32 pm
And yet it is so much better in every single way than anything your poor concept of grammar and immaturity has ever produced:  better in form, better in ideas, better in flow of thought, better in literally every way.  You should read more and post less.  The adults are talking.

I distinctly notice that even you are able to comprehend that his article was not better in CONTENT.  That is the crux of the issue.  Roberts content, as a general rule, is  deplorable.  Mr. Shields uses his postings to give back handed jabs at things he has little to no clue about.

A second rate hack that was far better suited to continue writing within the field of womens restrooms.

Incidentally, I have had about 15 published articles. I don't mean rantings on MMQB like R. Shield's articles. Mine were actually published.  You will find that grammar is of absolutely no concern on a message board. Why should it be?

If his "articles" are your opinion of the adults talking then by all means return to the kiddie table. You are in the wrong room.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

weresoclose

Quote from: thefisher on April 28, 2014, 03:20:37 pm
I distinctly notice that even you are able to comprehend that his article was not better in CONTENT.  That is the crux of the issue.  Roberts content, as a general rule, is  deplorable.  Mr. Shields uses his postings to give back handed jabs at things he has little to no clue about.

A second rate hack that was far better suited to continue writing within the field of womens restrooms.

Incidentally, I have had about 15 published articles. I don't mean rantings on MMQB like R. Shield's articles. Mine were actually published.  You will find that grammar is of absolutely no concern on a message board. Why should it be?

If his "articles" are your opinion of the adults talking then by all means return to the kiddie table. You are in the wrong room.

Sure you have, kiddo.  Your second paragraph says it all...

Get the hell off the thread if you don't like it.  Grow up.  Without a safety stepping up or BA miraculously transfoming himself into someone who can play the position -- or someone like Raef emerging -- our 3 win season will put the breaks on any recruiting momentum we might be gaining, setting Brett up with a do-or-die 3rd season, and possibly sealing the deal on the 10 year setback set in motion on April 1, 2012.

Robert Shields

Congratulations on being published 15 times.  It's not easy and something you should be very proud of.  I don't know if getting published though necessarily makes one a great writer.  It does mean that you have had success. It's a running debate on this board if I'm a good writer, but criticism comes with the job.

But if the standard is getting published, then I'm okay as my column has been syndicated for approximately 17 years in papers around the state and probably approaching a total of 1000 articles published.

Robert Shields

Quote from: weresoclose on April 28, 2014, 02:13:54 pm
Maybe Raef will emerge.  If so, anything is possible.  We could win 6 with solid QB play.

I agree with solid QB play the team could win 6 and maybe even one game they should not.

thefisher

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 28, 2014, 08:07:45 pm

Congratulations on being published 15 times.  It's not easy and something you should be very proud of.  I don't know if getting published though necessarily makes one a great writer.  It does mean that you have had success. It's a running debate on this board if I'm a good writer, but criticism comes with the job.

But if the standard is getting published, then I'm okay as my column has been syndicated for approximately 17 years in papers around the state and probably approaching a total of 1000 articles published.

HA! Yes! Touche' Robert, touche'.  I almost never agree with your articles.
However your response here was well played.  +1 for the good response.  It is only the second + I have ever given you. You absolutely deserve this one. :)

dagnamit

I was published in the High School paper. Does that count?

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 28, 2014, 02:12:39 pm
It's just Spring...let's wait until the end of fall to start the doom and gloom articles.

This x 10000!!!!! 

And.....Who IS Robert Shields??     Did RS even attend the Red and White Game??

Hogfaniam

Other than the shot at the final score and why, I have to say good article.   I appreciate the way you have dialed back the snotty remarks and shots at things that are unchanged by the snot. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

LZH

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 28, 2014, 10:01:22 amImagine the gasket Bobby Petrino would be blowing right now with the current quarterback production.

That's pretty good.

moses_007

By now, as many articles as Robert posts, you guys should know who he is and quit asking who he is everytime he posts an article.  First and foremost, he's a Hogville member, he's a sports writer for some newspaper down in south Arkansas, and I believe he's a U of A student in Fayetteville as well.

There's no reason to disrespect Mr. Shields every time he posts an article here.  I commend him for taking the time to post his articles on the Razorbacks.  You may not agree with how he views the program, but let's let him voice his opinions. 

This article is absolutely spot on.  If we don't fix the secondary and quarterback problems, we will have a third straight losing season. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LZH

Quote from: weresoclose on April 28, 2014, 02:57:32 pm

Now we're talkin'.  It's a slow day for friction....hell, people are even agreeing with me in the other thread for God's sake - what is THAT all about?  So by all means, keep it up.

tophawg19

run and shoot offense ? not with CBB IN this lifetime . first , we have good safties in Turner and Gaines . 2 we have incoming players who will challenge for time at most positions . So to take anything away from this game is a joke . look at Bama's spring game . our numbers are far better so does that mean we beat bama ? All we really learned is Canaan is our second best RB with a 50 yard untouched score . hope he has elgibility  left . and he's so tough he don't need no stinkin' helmet . That gentlemen and ladies is all there was for us to see . Aggressive defense is a + . Korliss some of us knew about before this . +. Canaan played the crowd better than DMAC ever did +
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hog.goblin

Quote from: Hogfaniam on April 28, 2014, 10:54:47 pm
Other than the shot at the final score and why, I have to say good article.   I appreciate the way you have dialed back the snotty remarks and shots at things that are unchanged by the snot. 

This

urkillnmesmalls

No one can say you didn't do your research for this one RS.  You read Hogville for at least a few hours to dig up this material for regurgitation.  Bravo...   ::)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Arkfan

Good read and a lot more spot on than most posts youll read on this site.

urkillnmesmalls

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

MJ2

More than a secondary and a QB, the coaching staff has got to get it together and truly "coach".    We didn't see that last year.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TomasPistola

Quote from: moses_007 on April 29, 2014, 01:53:06 am
By now, as many articles as Robert posts, you guys should know who he is and quit asking who he is everytime he posts an article.  First and foremost, he's a Hogville member, he's a sports writer for some newspaper down in south Arkansas, and I believe he's a U of A student in Fayetteville as well.

There's no reason to disrespect Mr. Shields every time he posts an article here.  I commend him for taking the time to post his articles on the Razorbacks.  You may not agree with how he views the program, but let's let him voice his opinions. 

This article is absolutely spot on.  If we don't fix the secondary and quarterback problems, we will have a third straight losing season. 

Who is Moses_007?
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: moses_007 on April 29, 2014, 01:53:06 am

I'm sorry but no, not everyone knows who Robert Shields is....I don't or at least not yet as being fairly new to Hogville.

Also, one can not expect to write such posts about The Razorbacks on Hogville and not expect to have themselves opened up to some criticism.   We also have opinions. 

Who IS Robert Shields?   A Ghost Writer?   :)

Means-well

Whenever a team struggles with a new coach every fan base seems to debate the same basic issues:

1) state of talent he was left with (recent recruiting and attrition, especially at qb)? Constant stream of opposing statistics (ie attrition rates) on this one.
2) did talent match the new system?
3) how difficult was the transition to the new system?
4) did players and team improve during the season?
5) does system work and did players execute it well?
6) does fan base "believe" in the new coach?  Did they agree with the hire in the first place.

I would suggest the last one is the big one and the difference between a coach getting 5 years, or  getting 3. It's about our dispositions and inevitably unleashes the glass half fulls ("he needs time (maybe a decade) to recruit and implement his players and system) vs  the glass half empty's ("I'm just being a realist, talent was/is sufficient, coach is an idiot, we're doomed, fire him now"). This is where many local sports personalities live - ie Paul Finebaum - and make their mortgage payments. Dividing fans bases and stirring the pot - if there aren't issues to discuss, make some.

I have absolutely no idea who mr. Shields is and don't know what his approach to sports journalism is. Sincerely, I'm sure he's a great guy, did well on the SATS, and his grammar is fine.  And I felt the article made some good points. The issue I have is his article (post?) is goal setting. By saying we have to make a bowl, I feel, establishes a goal that we as fans need to decide for ourselves.  Black and white goals can be measured and therefore matter.

Because when goals aren't achieved, bad moods and things happen - and the death spiral begins.

Peter Porker

Really?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Delicious~Dreams

You heard it here first.....Out of the mouth of Robert Shields.    I had NO idea whatsoever.

Isn't today Monday??    I wonder what the New From the Bench will highlight today?   Graduation?  :)

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Means-well on May 02, 2014, 10:40:22 am
Whenever a team struggles with a new coach every fan base seems to debate the same basic issues:

1) state of talent he was left with (recent recruiting and attrition, especially at qb)? Constant stream of opposing statistics (ie attrition rates) on this one.
2) did talent match the new system?
3) how difficult was the transition to the new system?
4) did players and team improve during the season?
5) does system work and did players execute it well?
6) does fan base "believe" in the new coach?  Did they agree with the hire in the first place.

I would suggest the last one is the big one and the difference between a coach getting 5 years, or  getting 3. It's about our dispositions and inevitably unleashes the glass half fulls ("he needs time (maybe a decade) to recruit and implement his players and system) vs  the glass half empty's ("I'm just being a realist, talent was/is sufficient, coach is an idiot, we're doomed, fire him now"). This is where many local sports personalities live - ie Paul Finebaum - and make their mortgage payments. Dividing fans bases and stirring the pot - if there aren't issues to discuss, make some.

I have absolutely no idea who mr. Shields is and don't know what his approach to sports journalism is. Sincerely, I'm sure he's a great guy, did well on the SATS, and his grammar is fine.  And I felt the article made some good points. The issue I have is his article (post?) is goal setting. By saying we have to make a bowl, I feel, establishes a goal that we as fans need to decide for ourselves.   Black and white goals can be measured and therefore matter.

Because when goals aren't achieved, bad moods and things happen - and the death spiral begins.
Not sure fans goals and team goals will, or should ever match up. Especially the older fans who have a hard time letting go of what the program use to be.

Hard on the long time fans when the  program has only managed to put together back-to-back winning seasons in their conference one time in over twenty years.

That they are making a ton of money really does not take away the sting of losing.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: thefisher on April 28, 2014, 02:26:34 pm

Good use for this bro.

PETA are ACC fans. Doubt they would notice though.
This is my non-signature signature.